Drafthouse Films

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
colinr0380

Re: Drafthouse Films

#51 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:23 pm

manicsounds on The Act of Killing wrote:Dogwoof released this in the UK. Same specs/extras?
Yes in terms of extra features, though the UK release is all on one disc while from that DVD Talk review it looks as if the US release splits the theatrical and director's cut between two discs.

markymark

#52 Post by markymark » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:02 pm

Specs came out today for a couple March releases:

The Visitor
Special Feature include:
* Interviews with star Lance Henriksen, screenwriter Lou Comici and cinematographer Ennio Guarieri
* Theatrical Trailer
* 16-page Booklet
* Digital Download

Ms. 45
Special Feature include:
* Interviews with director Abel Ferrara, composer Joe Delia, creative consultant Jack McIntyre
* “Zoë XO” and “Zoë Rising,” two short films on star Zoë Lund by American Hardcore director Paul Rachman
* Theatrical Trailer
* 32-page booklet featuring essays by Zoë Lund, Ferrara biographer Brad Stevens and House Of Psychotic Women author Kier-la Janisse
* Digital Download

I became an Alliance member as a Christmas gift and it's looking to be a pretty exciting year.

manicsounds

#53 Post by manicsounds » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:57 am

Extras look pretty slim compared to some past Drafthouse releases. The Code Red DVD of "The Visitor" has better extras...

pointless

#54 Post by pointless » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:35 pm

Blu-ray.com shows The Visitor and Ms. 45 as coming out with Cinedigm as the distributor.

They are now up for pre-order on amazon.com for $27.98 each.

Ms. 45 cover art:

Musashi219

#55 Post by Musashi219 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:57 pm

Can anyone comment on their experience so far with having an Alliance Membership? I've been considering it for awhile and finally have some spare income to potentially throw at it. What kind of bonus items have you received from them in addition to the films? Like I said just curious so I'd love to hear feedback from subscribers!

scubadonc

#56 Post by scubadonc » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:49 pm

I have received almost no bonus items. Once they sent me some boxes of matches for "The Ambassador" but that's it. I do find the price appealing and I like receiving my movies prior to release date (although that doesn't always happen either).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#57 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:34 pm

The price ain't so hot when they add shipping costs to the total-- I can get whatever I want from Amazon for half off within a few months, this program is a pale imitation of the Circle of Trust

Musashi219

#58 Post by Musashi219 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:05 pm

domino harvey wrote:The price ain't so hot when they add shipping costs to the total-- I can get whatever I want from Amazon for half off within a few months, this program is a pale immigration of the Circle of Trust
I had assumed it would potentially skyrocket in price due to that additional shipping costs tag. You also make a valid point that the majority of Drafthouse releases I have either been able to acquire for dirt cheap or they wind up going on Netflix Instant View. I found The FP, Bullhead, and The Ambassador all in a $7.50 bargain bin at Fry's last fall. I think I'm probably better off just waiting for price drops. Thanks.

manicsounds

#59 Post by manicsounds » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:54 am

manicsounds

#61 Post by manicsounds » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:07 am

Is "Pieta" out of print? I tried ordering from DeepDiscount a while back, they cancelled it, and now seems out of stock at many places.
But looking around more, seems a bunch of Drafthouse/Image titles are out of stock, I guess this is because they changed distributors.

manicsounds

#62 Post by manicsounds » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:44 am

blu-ray.com on "A Field In England"

Looks to have the same very good extras from the UK and Australian discs.

manicsounds

#63 Post by manicsounds » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:42 am

I finally got around to watching "Graceland", watched it as a double feature with "Metro Manila" which was quite a gritty double feature. Highly recommend both. Another very good idea for a double feature would be "Graceland" and Kurosawa's "High And Low", both films about a chauffeur's child getting kidnapped by accident being the main plot point.

captveg

#65 Post by captveg » Fri May 09, 2014 1:49 pm

Well that's quite disgusting.

zedz

#66 Post by zedz » Wed May 21, 2014 5:23 pm

It's okay, it was preserved by the Cineteca di Bologna.

brendanjc

#67 Post by brendanjc » Tue May 27, 2014 11:35 pm

Anyone get Cheap Thrills from their Alliance membership yet? Usually these show up quite a bit before release day - I was surprised not to find it in my mailbox today.

scubadonc

#68 Post by scubadonc » Wed May 28, 2014 10:47 am

I got mine on Friday. I'd give them a couple more days before you e-mail them. My copy of The Act of Killing was a week late (the only one I didn't get early).

Raymond Marble

#69 Post by Raymond Marble » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:20 pm

Can any of you Alliance members confirm that the discs they send you are appropriate retail copies, and not punched barcode or anything like that? Drafthouse has never given me any trouble, but other companies and/or retailers online have burned me with this in the past, which drives me nuts. Drafthouse has a really solid lineup in the near future, and I wanted to start an Alliance membership after the release of The Final Member, which would presumably start with Borgman and end with R100, which sounds pretty good to me. I've already seen both 20,000 Days on Earth and The Overnighters, and know I'll be buying them regardless, so the timing seems right.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#70 Post by jindianajonz » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:35 pm

None of my Alliance discs have barcodes punched, and I haven't seen any evidence that they are any different from retail copies.

Does Drafthouse send out notices when an Alliance membership is up? I haven't been following their releases lately, but it's been a couple months since my last disc, so I think mine may have ended. I'm surprised that they aren't more aggressive in trying to get me to renew.

scubadonc

#71 Post by scubadonc » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:54 pm

I've never received a warning that my membership is ending. I just try to keep track of how many discs I've been sent.

manicsounds

#72 Post by manicsounds » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:08 pm

September 9th is the release date of Drafthouse's release of the 2013 Dutch film "Borgman".
Extras are very slim compared to other Drafthouse releases.

Three Deleted Scenes
Reversible Mondo Art
28-page booklet featuring cast and crew interviews and more

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#73 Post by jindianajonz » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:04 pm

Drafthouse has a promotion this weekend: Buy 5 digital films for $10

manicsounds

#74 Post by manicsounds » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Raymond Marble

#75 Post by Raymond Marble » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:36 pm

Now through Sunday all DVDs and blu-rays on drafthousefilms.com are $10 each, and Alliance memberships are $10 off. Shipping on orders of single discs can be kind of nuts, though ($10?).

Relatedly, a few posts up I was asking questions about the Alliance membership. I still haven't subscribed--it says that the cost (usually $100, currently $90) does not include shipping. Does that mean they're going to zonk members for $10 shipping with each disc they ship? Does anyone know?

But I don't want to sound like I'm bitching. Drafthouse Films has released a lot of good stuff in the past year; this sale's a good opportunity to get 20,000 Days on Earth, if nothing else.