Twilight Time / Redwind

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
pointless

Re: Twilight Time

#3051 Post by pointless » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:56 pm

Next Stop, Greenwich Village (Paul Mazursky, 1976)

Release Date: May 22nd, 2018.
Pre-order date: Wednesday, May 9th at 4 pm EST.

Special Features:
  • Isolated Music Track
    Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Paul Mazursky and Actress Ellen Greene
    Original Theatrical Trailer
Image Image

Booklet art:
Last edited by pointless on Wed May 09, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fred Holywell

#3052 Post by Fred Holywell » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:51 pm

pointless

#3053 Post by pointless » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:53 pm

Hilda Crane (Philip Dunne, 1956)

Special Features:
  • Isolated Music Track
    Jean Simmons: Picture Perfect, as seen on Biography® on the A&E Network
Image Image

Booklet art:
Last edited by pointless on Wed May 09, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pointless

#3054 Post by pointless » Tue May 01, 2018 1:47 pm

The Birth of a Nation (D.W. Griffith, 1915)
(The Patrick Stanbury / Kevin Brownlow Photoplay Restoration; 2015)

Special Features:
  • DISC 1
    • Centennial 2015 Photoplay Productions Restoration by Patrick Stanbury
      1930 Sound Reissue Prologue
      1930 Sound Reissue Intermission and Introduction to Act 2
  • DISC 2
    • Outtakes and Original Camera Tests
      Four Additional Restored Civil War-Themed Silent Films from D.W. Griffith and Other Directors: The Coward, The Rose of Kentucky, Stolen Glory and The Drummer of the 8th (in Two Versions)
      The Birth of a Nation: The Legacy
      The Clansman: From Stage to Screen
      The Birth of a Nation Score Recording Sessions Conducted by John Lanchbery
      D.W. Griffith on Lux Radio Theater with Cecil B. DeMille
      Stills and Collections Gallery
      Essays by Photoplay Co-Founders Kevin Brownlow and Patrick Stanbury, and Film Historian Ashley Clark
Image Image

Booklet art:
Last edited by pointless on Wed May 09, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#3055 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:19 pm

Perfect intersection of label and film. Hilarious.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3056 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 01, 2018 6:19 pm

I don't get it?

CSM126

#3057 Post by CSM126 » Tue May 01, 2018 6:35 pm

domino harvey wrote:I don't get it?
They’re both outdated, useless, and controversial?

Big Ben

#3058 Post by Big Ben » Tue May 01, 2018 7:33 pm

Birth of a Nation was one of those things I watched as a right of passage through film history. It's an abominable historical document that exists in moral abyss. Outside of people who REALLY want this I cannot fathom why Twilight Time would think this would be worth producing.

Who knows though. Perhaps there is a market for it and I'm just an idiot.

Ribs

#3059 Post by Ribs » Tue May 01, 2018 7:39 pm

I don't think anyone has a problem with a label releasing it, at least here we shouldn't. But the sheer audacity of Twilight Time, whose entire mission is "we're releasing the things no one else would for so they'll have a BD when the home video market disappears in *checks calendar* 18 months" to release a movie with several perfectly good releases due to being PD already in its same, ridiculously unnecessary $35 format is basically a new level for them. Plus, unlike a Night of the Living Dead or Charade, a movie, you know, people like, this is a movie people might feel compelled to own but a relative minority genuinely enjoy this film, partially due to its age but mostly due to its values, so it would be thoroughly odd for many to feel the need to double-dip even if the transfer is appreciably better (which it probably is).

whaleallright

#3060 Post by whaleallright » Wed May 02, 2018 2:04 am

Big Ben wrote:Birth of a Nation was one of those things I watched as a right of passage through film history. It's an abominable historical document that exists in moral abyss. Outside of people who REALLY want this I cannot fathom why Twilight Time would think this would be worth producing.
The film is still widely taught, it's of a special historical importance, and there are many thrilling and beautiful moments in it. Its overall thrust and argument is of course abominable (and in its own way it's more morally degenerate than Triumph of the Will). It's not at all hard for me to understand why someone should want a good copy of it and there should be no shame in releasing it, presuming the accompanying material doesn't endorse the film's vision of apocalyptic race war ending in the subjugation of an entire race (of course, the film insists this is for its own benefit, which is one of the most awful things about it).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3061 Post by tenia » Wed May 02, 2018 3:50 am

Big Ben wrote:Who knows though. Perhaps there is a market for it and I'm just an idiot.
Whether we like the movie or not, it is an important part of movie history (and history itself). If there is a market in the UK for TWO different fully-fledged BD releases, I don't see why there wouldn't be 3000 potential sales in the US.
But it probably is a different "market" than for regular movies, in the way that it doesn't mean buyers are necessarily buying it because they like the movie.

Feego

#3062 Post by Feego » Wed May 02, 2018 9:31 am

tenia wrote:If there is a market in the UK for TWO different fully-fledged BD releases, I don't see why there wouldn't be 3000 potential sales in the US. But it probably is a different "market" than for regular movies, in the way that it doesn't mean buyers are necessarily buying it because they like the movie.
Exactly. The Blu editions released by Kino and Twilight Time in the States are now basically the same (give or take a few extras/booklets) as the editions released by MoC and BFI in the UK. I don't recall anyone having a cow when the BFI released their edition, even though there was already a perfectly good one available, so I'm not getting the shock and awe this seems to be inspiring. Not that I'm the biggest fan of Twilight Time's model, but this is a situation where most people buying it will probably be collectors specifically doing so for the Photoplay restoration, which is said to be better than that used for the Kino/MoC editions. And I don't see anything wrong with that restoration being made available to the U.S. market.
Ribs wrote:But the sheer audacity of Twilight Time, whose entire mission is "we're releasing the things no one else would for so they'll have a BD when the home video market disappears in *checks calendar* 18 months" to release a movie with several perfectly good releases due to being PD already in its same, ridiculously unnecessary $35 format is basically a new level for them.
I mean, this release is frankly less questionable than some of their more populist releases like Steel Magnolias and As Good As It Gets on that front. Who else would release this restoration, outside of another boutique label? Would it make you any happier if Criterion or Cohen Films were releasing it?

Roscoe

#3063 Post by Roscoe » Wed May 02, 2018 10:08 am

For what it's worth, Flicker Alley had the Photoplay BIRTH OF A NATION on their calendar a few years back and never, obviously, brought it out. I'm fine with the film being released, as repulsive as it is, especially in a package as thorough as this one. If I hadn't already gotten the UK release this would be a no-brainer, but I'd definitely wait for a sale.

What A Disgrace

#3064 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed May 02, 2018 10:40 am

I'm surprised that a Blu-ray release of one of the most important films in history is causing any kind of a stir on this board for its content, especially since its just a port of the BFI release.

Lost Highway

#3065 Post by Lost Highway » Wed May 02, 2018 11:43 am

I find nothing objectionable about a film of such historical significance getting a release, but I'll never be one of those who will crack open a beer and settle down to watch this. Same goes for Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will. Seen both once, never need to go back there, don't want them on my shelf.

Roscoe

#3066 Post by Roscoe » Wed May 02, 2018 11:57 am

I picked up the BFI release about a year ago, it was just too inexpensive to pass up at $15 US. Lots of fascinating historical information about the film, and an impeccable transfer and score -- but not the movie to watch with a brew and pals. I'm glad to own it, but it's not a movie I watch much.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3067 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 19, 2018 11:57 am

GLORIA (1980) BLU-RAY - August 21st

THE VIRGIN SOLDIERS (1969) BLU-RAY - August 21st

THE HOT ROCK (1972) BLU-RAY - August 21st

RAPID FIRE (1992) BLU-RAY - August 21st

diamonds

#3068 Post by diamonds » Sun May 20, 2018 12:08 am

Happy to see The Hot Rock! I watched it after Soderbergh named it his favorite heist film and it was great fun. Wonder if he'll contribute to a supplement.

What A Disgrace

#3069 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun May 20, 2018 10:18 am

Hopefully Indicator is preparing their own edition of Gloria.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3070 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 20, 2018 10:32 am

The Hot Rock def seems like a title Indicator would go for, at least

Luke M

Twilight Time

#3071 Post by Luke M » Mon May 21, 2018 9:48 pm

Feego wrote:
tenia wrote:If there is a market in the UK for TWO different fully-fledged BD releases, I don't see why there wouldn't be 3000 potential sales in the US. But it probably is a different "market" than for regular movies, in the way that it doesn't mean buyers are necessarily buying it because they like the movie.
Exactly. The Blu editions released by Kino and Twilight Time in the States are now basically the same (give or take a few extras/booklets) as the editions released by MoC and BFI in the UK. I don't recall anyone having a cow when the BFI released their edition, even though there was already a perfectly good one available, so I'm not getting the shock and awe this seems to be inspiring. Not that I'm the biggest fan of Twilight Time's model, but this is a situation where most people buying it will probably be collectors specifically doing so for the Photoplay restoration, which is said to be better than that used for the Kino/MoC editions. And I don't see anything wrong with that restoration being made available to the U.S. market.
Ribs wrote:But the sheer audacity of Twilight Time, whose entire mission is "we're releasing the things no one else would for so they'll have a BD when the home video market disappears in *checks calendar* 18 months" to release a movie with several perfectly good releases due to being PD already in its same, ridiculously unnecessary $35 format is basically a new level for them.
I mean, this release is frankly less questionable than some of their more populist releases like Steel Magnolias and As Good As It Gets on that front. Who else would release this restoration, outside of another boutique label? Would it make you any happier if Criterion or Cohen Films were releasing it?
Um, yes to every single title TT has released. (This fantastical scenario imagines Criterion having unlimited resources)

pointless

#3072 Post by pointless » Tue May 22, 2018 4:00 pm

Take a Girl Like You (Jonathan Miller, 1970)

Release Date: June 19th, 2018.
Pre-order date: Wednesday, June 6th at 4 pm EST.

Special Features:
  • Isolated Music Track
    Original Theatrical Trailers
Image Image

Booklet art:
Last edited by pointless on Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pointless

#3073 Post by pointless » Wed May 23, 2018 3:28 pm

My Sister Eileen (Richard Quine, 1955)

Release Date: June 19th, 2018.
Pre-order date: Wednesday, June 6th at 4 pm EST.

Special Features:
  • Isolated Music Track (with some dialogue and effects)
Image Image

Booklet art:
Last edited by pointless on Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Feego

#3074 Post by Feego » Wed May 23, 2018 3:38 pm

Twilight Time's Art Department wrote:What's our quota on giant legs for the month?

Lost Highway

#3075 Post by Lost Highway » Wed May 23, 2018 3:45 pm

I finally got round to watching Miss Sadie Thompson in 3D. It looks fantastic. The film was pretty good too, despite having a reputation of being watered down. Hayworth, a little frayed around the edges which is just right for the part, is very good in what was a comeback role. I’ve read the short story a long time ago which was a lot more harsh but I’ve never seen the two previous adaptations.