Gaumont French Releases

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
JimmyTango

Re: Gaumont French Releases

#151 Post by JimmyTango » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:11 am

Recently watched the La Cinemateque Francaise print of ''Chanson d’Ar-Mor'' and subsequently contacted the organization to find out if the film was available on DVD. I was informed that it was no longer available to view in the library nor was it available commercially at current time.

I wasn't aware it was planned to be part of an upcoming Jean Epstein box set. Would love to see this released, the double exposure editing in the final scene is a high point in impressionist technique.

acf171072

#152 Post by acf171072 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:07 pm

rockysds wrote:Blu-rays of Jacques Becker's "Antoine et Antoinette" and "Les Amants de Montparnasse" coming September 7th. Both listed as having English subtitles.
Where does it confirm this? Amazon.fr doesn't have any subs listed and I can't find reference on any other site re Eng subs.

eerik

#153 Post by eerik » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:08 pm

acf171072 wrote:Where does it confirm this? Amazon.fr doesn't have any subs listed and I can't find reference on any other site re Eng subs.
Image Haute Définition 1920x1080p – 1h29 – Noir & blanc Encodage MPEG 4 / AVC – Format du film respecté 1.33 Version originale française – dts-HD Master Audio Mono Sous-titres français pour sourds & malentendants, et anglais

acf171072

#154 Post by acf171072 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:57 pm

eerik wrote:
acf171072 wrote:Where does it confirm this? Amazon.fr doesn't have any subs listed and I can't find reference on any other site re Eng subs.
Image Haute Définition 1920x1080p – 1h29 – Noir & blanc Encodage MPEG 4 / AVC – Format du film respecté 1.33 Version originale française – dts-HD Master Audio Mono Sous-titres français pour sourds & malentendants, et anglais

Maybe I'm being a bit thick, Eerik, but on the gaumont site it says...

Hi Eerik, which site did you get that from as it isn't on the Gaumont site. It says...

Audio:
Anglais:DDTHD1.0
Français:DD2.0mono
Sous-titres:
Français pour sourds et malentendants

Which suggests to me English dub, not Eng subs. Have they got this the wrong way round, though, as I noticed Swann in Love has Eng audio, too, which I found bizarre.

acf171072

#155 Post by acf171072 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:42 am

eerik wrote:
I notice that it says 1h29 as well. Antoine et Antoinette is 78m and Amants de Montparnasse is 103m ans that 1h29 is listed on both listings for the two Beckers. It looks like an error somewhere.

Adam X

#156 Post by Adam X » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:41 am

R0lf wrote:Re. Querelle (just expanding a bit on what I've said elsewhere).

It's region free - I ejected the disc and toggled my player and it played in region A and B.

It's english friendly with the english dub and removable subtitles. However the white inter titles throughout the movie are in French.

The image is extremely soft. I put in my old Columbia Tristar DVD to compare and while the image on that one looks extremely old and washed out I would say the very small jump in detail is only apparent in the slightly better rendering of textures e.g. The fringing on the lamps in the bar or the model ship in the background and sweat/chest hair on sailors.

The real jump is that the movie now looks 100% natural and film like with extremely vivid colours. It's hard to tell if it's maybe just the colour tints used on the picture that makes the image so soft?

It certainly isn't sharp as a tack like the Olive release of Despair. But maybe they were filmed differently?

Also after having watched it the whole way through I would say the scenes that take place in Feria are a lot softer than the other scenes in the movie. My assessment on the softness was from sitting right in front of the TV. While I was sitting on the couch it looked amazing.
thanks for going into more detail, R0lf. Though my memory of the look of Querelle is, I'm fairly certain, based on a VHS TV recording, your description of the visuals sounds fairly accurate. I definitlely a diffuse look to the cinematography (was Feria the bar?).

just a general question, the inter titles you mentioned (which I have no memory of whatsoever), can someone remind me of how they're used, and whether them being in French is going to interfere with my appreciation of the film? It's been a long time since I've seen Querelle. I only know that it was a favourite of mine, among the small number of Fassbinder films I've seen.

Perkins Cobb

#157 Post by Perkins Cobb » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:03 pm

Anybody know if the Blu-ray of Les Tontons Flingueurs might have been repressed without English subtitles?

I borrowed a friend's copy that he purchased about two years ago, and it definitely had the subs. However, another friend just bought it last week, and swears there are no English subs on the disc (and none mentioned on the packaging).

toddly6666

#158 Post by toddly6666 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:11 pm

acf171072 wrote:
eerik wrote:

Maybe I'm being a bit thick, Eerik, but on the gaumont site it says...

Hi Eerik, which site did you get that from as it isn't on the Gaumont site. It says...

Audio:
Anglais:DDTHD1.0
Français:DD2.0mono
Sous-titres:
Français pour sourds et malentendants

Which suggests to me English dub, not Eng subs. Have they got this the wrong way round, though, as I noticed Swann in Love has Eng audio, too, which I found bizarre.

There is no way to trust pre-release info of any French Blu-ray/DVD until someone actually literally confirms it or if a website posts the back cover image (which French retailers rarely do). I really don't understand why French online sites are so awful with posting accurate video specs.

Perkins Cobb wrote:Anybody know if the Blu-ray of Les Tontons Flingueurs might have been repressed without English subtitles?

I borrowed a friend's copy that he purchased about two years ago, and it definitely had the subs. However, another friend just bought it last week, and swears there are no English subs on the disc (and none mentioned on the packaging).
Nope, he just didn't look hard enough. This Blu-ray has one of the worst menu navigations I've ever seen in my whole life. I feared the same thing when I got this Blu-ray. It took me about 30 minutes to find the English subtitle section (since you can't even choose them during the movie, only from the menu). They are there. I traded away the Blu-ray already so I can't guide him through. But they are there and are really hard to find and navigate through that menu.

JPJ

#159 Post by JPJ » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:22 pm

Seems like it was re-released without english subs.

http://stuartgalbraithiv.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perkins Cobb

#160 Post by Perkins Cobb » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:27 pm

JPJ wrote:Seems like it was re-released without english subs.

http://stuartgalbraithiv.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ha, no, we're going in circles ... Stuart is the person on whose behalf I was asking. So far just educated guesswork on his part (and mine) about the presumed second edition.

JPJ

#161 Post by JPJ » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:29 pm

Sorry Perkins,I was suspecting this but posted the link anyway!

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#162 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:41 pm

I have just ordered it from the Amazon blu sale and will let you know when it arrives. However I seem to remember seeing a recent list Olive? Kino? where Tontons and Barbouzes were mentioned as forthcoming US titles so it's possible Gaumont had to erase them.

triodelover

#163 Post by triodelover » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:12 pm

toddly6666 wrote:
Perkins Cobb wrote:Anybody know if the Blu-ray of Les Tontons Flingueurs might have been repressed without English subtitles?

Nope, he just didn't look hard enough. This Blu-ray has one of the worst menu navigations I've ever seen in my whole life. I feared the same thing when I got this Blu-ray. It took me about 30 minutes to find the English subtitle section (since you can't even choose them during the movie, only from the menu). They are there. I traded away the Blu-ray already so I can't guide him through. But they are there and are really hard to find and navigate through that menu.
I can echo toddly's remarks. I purchased it about a month ago and watched it for the first time last week. The menu navigation scheme is unique to say the least. But the subs are there. The transfer is top drawer and the film is a hoot. Lino Ventura is a comedian. Who knew?

Stuart Galbraith IV

#164 Post by Stuart Galbraith IV » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:58 pm

I'm the pal of Perkins Cobb with the subtitling mystery.

Honestly, I've looked everywhere on this disc and no dice. It's possible that somehow I'm just not looking at it the right way, but I've spent over 75 minutes trying to find these elusive English subtitles, and on two different players, just in case it was a weird firmware issue.

If someone who owns a copy could walk me though it I'd be eternally grateful...

ntbobkat

#165 Post by ntbobkat » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:46 am

Here is how I get to the English sub title option on my Les Tontons Flingueurs Blu Ray DVD:

Let the menu load (this takes a while) and wait until the "FEINGUEZ ICI" target like icon appears.
Select this icon and a small menu appears
Scroll to "Versions" and select it
"Version Francaise DTD-HD MASTER AUDI 1.0" should appear
Select "Versions" again with "Version Francaise DTD-HD MASTER AUDI 1.0" still showing and a small new menu should appear.
Select the "AVEC SOUS-TITRES ANGLAIS" option to get English sub titles.

Good luck. I hope that you enjoy this film as much as I did.

triodelover

#166 Post by triodelover » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:54 am

Stuart Galbraith IV wrote:I'm the pal of Perkins Cobb with the subtitling mystery.

Honestly, I've looked everywhere on this disc and no dice. It's possible that somehow I'm just not looking at it the right way, but I've spent over 75 minutes trying to find these elusive English subtitles, and on two different players, just in case it was a weird firmware issue.

If someone who owns a copy could walk me though it I'd be eternally grateful...
Stuart,

IIRC, just put the disk in and let it play. Don't press any of the remote buttons in an attempt to bring up the menu. It's a pop-up that looks like a target (see here). The whole layout looks like it was designed for a PC and a mouse, not a stand-alone player. When the menu pops up (maybe 30 seconds into that endless clip/trailer), press the enter/OK button on your remote. I *think* this will get you in. You may have to use the scroll function prior to pressing OK. If you miss the brief opportunity, eject and start over. As far as I was able to tell, you get one shot at the menu and then the disc is caught in that intro. It took me about three or four tries over 30 minutes or so. I wish I could be more clear, but I suspect I'll have to go through another round of trial and error when I play the BD again. FWIW, my player is a Momitsu BDP-799.

Stuart Galbraith IV

#167 Post by Stuart Galbraith IV » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:54 am

Thank You - Thank You - Thank You, ntbobkat and triodelover

I see now where I got hung up. At "Version Francaise DTD-HD MASTER AUDI 1.0" I kept selecting that, hoping by toggling up, down, and sideways other audio/subtitle options would appear. I never thought to press the "Versions" button twice!

Anyway, that did it. I'm very curious about this film and, thanks to you (and Perkins Cobb), at long last I'll be able to see it.

Again, many thanks...

acf171072

#168 Post by acf171072 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:47 pm

It seems on amazon.fr there may be some good news.

http://www.amazon.fr/Coffret-raymond-be ... 062&sr=1-1

sous titres ANGLAIS

R0lf

#169 Post by R0lf » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:39 am

Adam Grikepelis wrote:just a general question, the inter titles you mentioned (which I have no memory of whatsoever), can someone remind me of how they're used, and whether them being in French is going to interfere with my appreciation of the film? It's been a long time since I've seen Querelle. I only know that it was a favourite of mine, among the small number of Fassbinder films I've seen.
The inter titles are quotes of text from the novel.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#170 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:09 am

Interesting crop of post-rentrée titles from Gaumont a la demande 10/10

Finis Terrae Epstein
C'est Gradiva qui vous appelle Robbe-Grillet
Ophelia Chabrol
Le Bled Renoir
Atoll K with Laurel and Hardy and Suzy Delair

Yes, you read that last one right

Adam X

#171 Post by Adam X » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:04 am

R0lf wrote:The inter titles are quotes of text from the novel.
Thanks R0lf. I assume these too are subtitled (think I misread your original post)? Otherwise that'd seem an unfortunate loss.

charulata

#172 Post by charulata » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:31 pm

Blu-ray.com on Querelle.
DVDClassik on Antoine et Antoinette: film and blu-ray review.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#173 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:56 am

Coming from a la Demande in time to hang on the Xmas tree
Godard Passion
Ophuls Tendre Ennemie
Gremillon Pattes Blanches
Carne Du mouron pour les petits oiseaux

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#174 Post by Drucker » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:02 am

I'm sure it's been asked before, but do most of these Gaumont releases have English subs, or not? I was under the impression they didn't...

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#175 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:54 am

It has been asked many times and alas there is no prospect of english subtitles for the forseeable future. We can console ourselves in the meantime with the prospect of the intégrale box set of Gremillon that MoC will deliver in the near future. (Looking for a smiley to add that denotes long standing lame joke/irony/despair)