Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Movie-Brat

Re: Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#476 Post by Movie-Brat » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:38 pm

Somehow, this pair up for a double feature feels appropriate.

dwk

#477 Post by dwk » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:33 pm

AfterTheRain wrote:I wonder if High Spirits will include the director's preferred cut before it was hacked to ribbons before theatrical release; I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Scream was asked and answered
This will contain the cut that was on the prior MGM DVD release.

dwk

#478 Post by dwk » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:55 pm

Happy Monday! Our month-long "Shocktober" celebration and countdown to Halloween continues with two more films to reveal: We are pairing 1972’s swampy FROGS (starring Sam Elliott) and 1976’s giant animal-ridden FOOD OF THE GODS (starring Pamela Franklin) together on the Blu-ray format as a double-feature! Expect to see the release emerge next Summer.

We still have more films to announce this month so be sure to check back here on our page this month to be the first to see them!

dwk

#479 Post by dwk » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:31 pm

NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENTS**

Since our announcement earlier this week of our double-bill of FOOD OF THE GODS & FROGS went over so well with the majority, we thought it would be exciting/surprising if we followed it up and revealed FOUR more “Animal-Creature attack” films coming sometime next Summer for the first time on the blu-ray format! So without further ado…

- Bert I Gordon’s EMPIRE OF THE ANTS (with “Dynasty’s” Joan Collins battling radioactive insects) will be paired with 1982’s devil-possessed cobra film JAWS OF SATAN (with Fritz Weaver as a priest and a young Christina Applegate) as a double feature.

- The Italian-made prehistoric campy octopus flick TENTACLES (starring John Huston and Shelly Winters) will share ocean space with another prehistoric campy water creature – the Danish-made REPTILICUS - on a double feature as well.

We still have more films to announce this month so be sure to check back here on our page this month to be the first to see them!

Movie-Brat

#480 Post by Movie-Brat » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:44 pm

I did want to see Food of the Gods back in 2007 though surprisingly I saw parts of Frogs and saw Empire of the Ants and Tentacles in its entirety on AMC. I don't think Empire of the Ants and Tentacles hold up but what the hell, I want Reptilicus.

Feego

#481 Post by Feego » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:22 pm

dwk

#482 Post by dwk » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:42 pm

The final specs for Lord of Illusions:

DISC ONE: Theatrical Cut of the film

DISC TWO: All NEW High Definition transfer of Clive Barker’s Director’s Cut of the film
- Commentary by Director Clive Barker
- “A Gathering of Magic” Featurette - Original Behind the Scenes Footage
- Unseen Rare Behind the Scenes Footage “Illusion of Reality”
- Vintage interviews and UNSEEN On-Set Footage provide a fascinating look into the making of the film
- Deleted Scenes with Clive Barker commentary
- NEW Interview with Storyboard Artist Martin Mercer
– Photo Gallery

and Blu-ray of the tv-movie Carrie and The Rage Carrie II
**NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENTS**

Our month-long "Shocktober" celebration continues with two more films to reveal: CARRIE - the 2002 TV-movie remake of Stephen King’s timeless tale of telekinetic revenge which stars Angela Bettis - and THE RAGE: CARRIE II - the 1999 theatrical sequel to Brian DePalma's original 1976 masterpiece and stars Amy Irving - will make their debut on the Blu-ray format next Spring as a double-feature.

There are no details on extras at this time (if any are planned) and they will be announced sometime next year, along with a confirmed street date.

On a relevant side note (and in case you were wondering): We did try to acquire the Sissy Spacek classic last year in the hopes of doing a “Collector’s Edition” version and a new transfer but it did not pan out for various reasons. We can’t get them all.

Movie-Brat

#483 Post by Movie-Brat » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:27 pm

I'm sold on Lord of Illusions. The Carrie films on Blu-Ray, so...pick your poison?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#484 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:31 pm

The Carrie TV movie is written by Bryan Fuller of Pushing Daisies/Hannibal, FYI

captveg

#485 Post by captveg » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:35 pm

Great to see it in its proper theatrical widescreen, too.

Movie-Brat

#486 Post by Movie-Brat » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:40 pm

domino harvey wrote:The Carrie TV movie is written by Bryan Fuller of Pushing Daisies/Hannibal, FYI
That I know, it's just that I heard it wasn't very good. I mean hell, they could have picked Manhunter but apparently they're not interested in that one for some reason. Why not? It'd fit right at home with the other Scream Factory releases.

dwk

#487 Post by dwk » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:42 pm

Movie-Brat wrote: That I know, it's just that I heard it wasn't very good. I mean hell, they could have picked Manhunter but apparently they're not interested in that one for some reason. Why not? It'd fit right at home with the other Scream Factory releases.
Not necessarily. Just because a specific title hasn't been announced doesn't mean they didn't ask for it or don't have it. Scream could have asked for Manhunter and MGM said no, either because someone else already has licensed it or MGM has no interest in licensing it, or Scream has licensed it and has yet to announce it.

Zot!

#488 Post by Zot! » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:49 pm

There is already a quality Manhunter BD. I'm not sure if its cult is big enough to justify two releases, though there is a treasure trove of alternate versions that they could consolidate.

flyonthewall2983

#489 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:55 pm

Zot! wrote:There is already a quality Manhunter BD. I'm not sure if its cult is big enough to justify two releases, though there is a treasure trove of alternate versions that they could consolidate.
And special features. The one out now maybe quality but it's bare-bones. It's one I am still hoping Criterion does.

Movie-Brat

#490 Post by Movie-Brat » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:28 pm

dwk wrote:Not necessarily. Just because a specific title hasn't been announced doesn't mean they didn't ask for it or don't have it. Scream could have asked for Manhunter and MGM said no, either because someone else already has licensed it or MGM has no interest in licensing it, or Scream has licensed it and has yet to announce it.
Actually I did ask on their Facebook page. It's not on their list, either they don't want it or MGM actually did say no. Too bad because Hannibal Lecter is still a big name character in Horror.
flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Zot! wrote:There is already a quality Manhunter BD. I'm not sure if its cult is big enough to justify two releases, though there is a treasure trove of alternate versions that they could consolidate.
And special features. The one out now maybe quality but it's bare-bones. It's one I am still hoping Criterion does.
And that's why I think Manhunter needs a dignified a Blu-Ray release. I mean hey, if Shout doesn't want it; give it to Criterion instead.

dwk

#491 Post by dwk » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:04 pm

Movie-Brat wrote: Actually I did ask on their Facebook page. It's not on their list, either they don't want it or MGM actually did say no. Too bad because Hannibal Lecter is still a big name character in Horror.
It is a big enough title that they had to have asked for it, so MGM most likely denied them. Hopefully Mann had a good experience working with Criterion on Thief that they were able to get Manhunter.

Movie-Brat

#492 Post by Movie-Brat » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:45 pm

Maybe but it more sounded like they hadn't gotten to it yet. Specifically, they told me this.
Sorry, Manhunter is not lined up at this time.

Zot!

#493 Post by Zot! » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:12 pm

While I don't doubt that criterion would put this out, I would be surprised if they actually want to put out the half-dozen existing cuts. The bd was a revelation that it finally presented the theatrical cut for the first time since the VHS era, and for me (in combination with the anchor bay dvd superset) closed the book on what is one of my favorites.

dwk

#494 Post by dwk » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:47 pm

**NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT**

Our month-long "Shocktober" celebration continues with another film to reveal. We veer more into sci-fi territory this time: 1989’s ROBOT JOX (helmed by legendary From Beyond and Dolls Director Stuart Gordon) will make its debut on the Blu-ray format in Summer 2015! No other details to report at this time.

We still have a few more surprise reveals between now and Halloween so keep checking back here on the page to be the first to see them.

hearthesilence

#495 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:56 pm

The new complete set of Pee-Wee's Playhouse apparently has all-new transfers.
What a lot of people don't realize is, the show was shot on film. But it's never been seen on film — we'd shoot it and immediately transfer it to tape, then we'd edit it on tape and add the effects in on tape. The whole thing is then put on a "broadcast tape," for airing. You lose information and clarity the more you dupe, so in some cases, we're talking six generations of loss. We've cleaned all that up. I've spent over a year in a lab helping the folks putting this out with color corrections, helping them find the right source material for some of the effects — many of which they recreated from scratch for the Blu-rays. The amount of work that went into this was huge.
I wish I caught this show when it aired, I've had a few people tell me in my college years that I would've loved it. FWIW, J. Hoberman reviewed the set in the NYTimes.

dwk

#496 Post by dwk » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:53 pm

**NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT**

Our "Shocktober" celebration continues with another film to reveal, and this is a rare one: The 1988 prison/slasher film DESTROYER will make its debut on the Blu-ray format in Summer 2015 and will be paired in a double feature with the previously-announced SCARECROWS—another quasi-slasher flick from 1988.

Similar to The Horror Show and Shocker in its execution (pun not intended) DESTROYER sports a pretty wild cast starring former NFL player Lyle Alzado, Deborah Foreman (April Fool’s Day, Waxwork), Clayton Rohner (also from April Fool’s Day, The Relic) and even “Norman Bates” himself, Anthony Perkins!

No other details to report at this time. We still have a few more surprise reveals between now and Halloween so keep checking back here on the page to be the first to see them.

Movie-Brat

#497 Post by Movie-Brat » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:31 pm

Is Destroyer even any good? Because what was with all the "killer powered by electricity" motif thing in the late 80's? Just curious. Either way, I'll take it. Because I really like the movie Scarecrows.

hearthesilence

#498 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:03 am

Here's the restoration demonstration for Shout! Factory's Pee Wee set on Blu-Ray, with full 1080p HD samples and side-by-side comparisons. Again, instead of using the broadcast masters (which were dubbed down from analog master tapes that themselves were essentially dubs from 1" tape transfers), they went back to the first-generation 16mm camera negatives, and sweet Jesus it looks a hell of a lot better now than it ever did before.

dwk

#499 Post by dwk » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:51 pm

Scream Factory confirmed on facebook that their Blu-ray of Love at First Bite will have "I Love the Nightlife".

Movie-Brat

#500 Post by Movie-Brat » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:59 am

How long do you think Shout Factory will exhaust the MGM library? And before Nomads is brought up, I managed to ask one of the Shout Factory guys on a forum (and I checked, his account's legit). He told me that because of the low DVD sales, they're not considering the film.