Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
jazzo

Re: Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#2001 Post by jazzo » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:10 am

Finch wrote:September titles

My Bloody Valentine 4k
Natural Born Killers 4k
Night of the Comet 4k
Jennifer 8 BD
The Demon Lover BD
The Pack BD
Lost Souls BD
Irwin Allen set BD 7 films
Just noting that it’s MY DEMON LOVER, the shit Scott Valentine horror comedy from 1987, not THE DEMON LOVER, the unintentionally shit regional 1977 hoot I was hoping for.

beamish14

#2002 Post by beamish14 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:19 am

I’d be interested in Jennifer 8 if they could miraculously resurrect Bruce Robinson’s original cut

im_online

#2003 Post by im_online » Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:14 pm

(Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link as my very first post here ever but nevertheless) James Gray's Lost City of Z is coming to UHD September 9: https://shoutfactory.com/products/the-lost-city-of-z

dwk

#2004 Post by dwk » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:06 pm

More site exclusive limited editions:
School Spirit
Sawbones
Lords of the Deep

Finch

#2005 Post by Finch » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:10 am

In October:

Killer Clans (1976)
The Shaolin Avengers (1976)
The Web of Death (1976)
Death Duel (1977)
Soul of the Sword (1977)
The Vengeful Beauty (1978)
Life Gamble (1979)
The Deadly Breaking Sword (1979)
Shaolin Abbot (1979)
Shaolin Rescuers (1979)
Clan of the White Lotus (1980)

Also coming: Pumpkinhead and The Blob (1988) 4ks, a 4k of Night of the Demons, BDs of NoTD 2 + 3

Matt

#2006 Post by Matt » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:37 pm

WOW! Three Chor Yuen movies! Someone’s been hearing my prayers. But I haven’t seen a lot of (any) praise for these sets here.

M Sanderson

#2007 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:25 pm

Great to hear about The Blob (1988) in 4k.

How likely are Land of the Dead, Silent Hill & The Dead Zone to get upgraded?

dwk

#2008 Post by dwk » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:06 pm

New Shaw Brothers site exclusive boxset (2500 copies): The Ti Lung / David Chiang Collection

jazzo

#2009 Post by jazzo » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:25 am

I just can’t keep up with these. Though all sound great, the Shout Factory ones are too expensive, too frequent and consequently, too overwhelming.

If the next Arrow set veers away from martial arts into the other Shaw Bros genres, as was hinted at last year, I’m in for that one.

Finch

#2010 Post by Finch » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:31 am

Yeah, hoping that 88 and/or Arrow covers some of these for the UK. I wonder what Arrow have for Shawscope Vol 3 given the first two sets were dual territory releases (unless Shout got the licenses for a very short window only).

dwk

#2011 Post by dwk » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:37 pm

Another site exclusive (1500 copies): Equalizer 2000

dwk

#2012 Post by dwk » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:40 pm

Shout Factory is releasing Weird: The Al Yankovic Story on UHD in December.

therewillbeblus

#2013 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:47 pm

Weird choice

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2014 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:00 pm

I can't be bothered to figure out how to stream this, but I do know how to buy a disc!

Ogre Kovacs

#2015 Post by Ogre Kovacs » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:02 pm

My SO is a diehard Weird Al fan so this was a first day watch in our household despite not having a Roku account nor device (and luckily neither were needed) and this will be a first day purchase (almost imported the Umbrella release). There are a lot of hardcore Weird Al fans out there, so I am not surprised by a physical release. I did find the original Funny or Die fake trailer (that this was the basis of) to be pretty funny with the cast being spot on. Not sure the premise requires 90 minutes, but it was amusing and charming enough for those so inclined.

feihong

#2016 Post by feihong » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:52 am

jazzo wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:25 am
I just can’t keep up with these. Though all sound great, the Shout Factory ones are too expensive, too frequent and consequently, too overwhelming.

If the next Arrow set veers away from martial arts into the other Shaw Bros genres, as was hinted at last year, I’m in for that one.
It's a shame the set is so expensive. It's basically all the greatest Chang Cheh movies that Arrow hasn't released––save the very underrated Four Riders. The licensing of these movies has been so crazy––like they packaged whole eras of certain directors as a chunk. It makes it so that the sets are these big boxes of largely the same stuff, on disc after disc. This is a great set of movies. But at the same time, watching the box all the way through would make you tired of any filmmaker's particular style.

Honestly, I'm probably getting it, mostly for Vengeance, Have Sword Will Travel, The Duel, and The Angry Guest (I already had The Savage 5 and The Deadly Duo on blu ray). The Blood Brothers and The Heroic Ones are great movies I'll definitely watch again––though they're not favorites of mine. I think the inclusion of All Men are Brothers is a strange one––it's a direct sequel to The Water Margin, which Shout Factory already separated off onto another box set. The second movie hardly even bothers with character introductions, as the first movie got them out of the way. And while the first movie benefits from a really strong narrative drive, this second is very diffuse by comparison––almost incoherent, in some ways.

The other two sets are more diverse, mostly including earlier material––or at least, material that feels earlier than the David Chiang/Ti Lung movies. A lot of the lesser Cheng Pei-Pei movies show up there, but I can't say those sets appeal to me that much. Lady of Steel and The Water Margin in the first set would be worth getting, maaayyybe The Thundering Sword and Golden Swallow from the second set, but the others? They were mostly boring for me. I'm surprised there's still no Chor Yuen pictures being released in any of these blu ray sets, from either company. I can understand why these U.S. and U.K. based companies would be loathe to release the earlier Shaw musicals and the social dramas, but I'd think the fantasy swordplay films would have a little more appeal for people. No Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan, with Betty Loh Ti killing dudes with her long fingernails, and Lily Ho ripping the arms off her lover? No Killer Clans, with its blatantly obvious wuxia homage to The Godfather? No Clans of Intrigue, with it's brilliant color scheme, or The Magic Blade, with it's clear attempt to ape the Clint Eastwood "Dollars" films? They are leaving money on the table here––or this is some different lot of film rights neither of these companies seem to have?

jazzo

Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#2017 Post by jazzo » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:16 pm

Feihong, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate these posts. Your passion is always a joy to engage with as a reader, and your knowledge base, truly inspiring.

And now you’ve maybe convinced me to take a chance on this particular set!

Orlac

#2018 Post by Orlac » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:44 pm

feihong wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:52 am
jazzo wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:25 am

It's a shame the set is so expensive. It's basically all the greatest Chang Cheh movies that Arrow hasn't released––save the very underrated Four Riders. The licensing of these movies has been so crazy––like they packaged whole eras of certain directors as a chunk. It makes it so that the sets are these big boxes of largely the same stuff, on disc after disc. This is a great set of movies. But at the same time, watching the box all the way through would make you tired of any filmmaker's particular style.

Honestly, I'm probably getting it, mostly for Vengeance, Have Sword Will Travel, The Duel, and The Angry Guest (I already had The Savage 5 and The Deadly Duo on blu ray). The Blood Brothers and The Heroic Ones are great movies I'll definitely watch again––though they're not favorites of mine. I think the inclusion of All Men are Brothers is a strange one––it's a direct sequel to The Water Margin, which Shout Factory already separated off onto another box set. The second movie hardly even bothers with character introductions, as the first movie got them out of the way. And while the first movie benefits from a really strong narrative drive, this second is very diffuse by comparison––almost incoherent, in some ways.

The other two sets are more diverse, mostly including earlier material––or at least, material that feels earlier than the David Chiang/Ti Lung movies. A lot of the lesser Cheng Pei-Pei movies show up there, but I can't say those sets appeal to me that much. Lady of Steel and The Water Margin in the first set would be worth getting, maaayyybe The Thundering Sword and Golden Swallow from the second set, but the others? They were mostly boring for me. I'm surprised there's still no Chor Yuen pictures being released in any of these blu ray sets, from either company. I can understand why these U.S. and U.K. based companies would be loathe to release the earlier Shaw musicals and the social dramas, but I'd think the fantasy swordplay films would have a little more appeal for people. No Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan, with Betty Loh Ti killing dudes with her long fingernails, and Lily Ho ripping the arms off her lover? No Killer Clans, with its blatantly obvious wuxia homage to The Godfather? No Clans of Intrigue, with it's brilliant color scheme, or The Magic Blade, with it's clear attempt to ape the Clint Eastwood "Dollars" films? They are leaving money on the table here––or this is some different lot of film rights neither of these companies seem to have?
Shout is releasing Chor Yuen's Killer Clans, The Web of Death and Death Duel in October.

Finch

#2019 Post by Finch » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:59 pm

Are these site exclusives again?

feihong

#2020 Post by feihong » Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:43 pm

Orlac wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:44 pm
Shout is releasing Chor Yuen's Killer Clans, The Web of Death and Death Duel in October.
That's cool. Killer Clans is really great, and Death Duel is...odd, but interesting––there's a weird sequence later on, where the hero gets schooled in hero-dom by the heroes of several of Chor Yuen's previous movies, just a weird, clumsy metatextual thing. I remember being very nonplussed by Web of Death––maybe even falling asleep while watching that one. But Killer Clans is one that sits in my mind, and has done so ever since I've seen it.

Orlac

#2021 Post by Orlac » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:18 am

Finch wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:59 pm
Are these site exclusives again?
They're part of the generally released Shaw Classics set.

dwk

#2022 Post by dwk » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:44 pm

Shout/Scream's November releases:
Tales from the Darkside 4K UHD
Silver Bullet 4K UHD
The Police Academy Collection
The Sonny Chiba Collection Volume Two
Death Wish 4K UHD (2018)
Surviving the Game (1994)
Chopper (2000)
Fargo 4K UHD
Farscape: The Complete Collection

tolbs1010

#2023 Post by tolbs1010 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:48 pm

dwk wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:44 pm
Fargo 4K UHD
Quite the score for them. Surprising.

hearthesilence

#2024 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:37 am

tolbs1010 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:48 pm
dwk wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:44 pm
Fargo 4K UHD
Quite the score for them. Surprising.
I wouldn’t unload the BD that used presumably the same 4K master though, at least not yet. Shout is likely to apply quite a bit of grain reduction, which they have openly admitted as their preferred approach.

M Sanderson

#2025 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:06 pm

Nice upgrades to 4k, Silver Bullet and Tales from the Darkside: the Movie.

And Surviving the Game is very welcome on Blu ray as Ernest Dickerson has made some tremendous films.