Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
JamesF

Re: Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#376 Post by JamesF » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:15 am

domino harvey wrote:God, Shout, start rescuing good slashers plz
Obviously "good" is pretty relative when it comes to this particular genre, but Synapse have been very proficient in this regard, with The Dorm That Dripped Blood and Intruder as well as the upcoming restorations of Prom Night and Curtains.

I have it on fairly good authority a UK label is releasing Darkman sometime this year with the new bonus features too. In any case, it's worth keeping an eye on the upcoming German BD boxset of the Darkman trilogy from Koch Media, as this is set to have some exclusive special features, like the failed TV pilot.

Anyway, not to fill this thread with talk of other labels... I've recently bought a bunch of their bargain four-film sets, and am probably more excited about finally having The Dungeonmaster in my DVD collection than is humanly reasonable.

dwk

#377 Post by dwk » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:30 pm

Scream will be releasing The Legend of Hell House and Motel Hell this summer.

Movie-Brat

#378 Post by Movie-Brat » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:06 pm

dwk wrote:Scream will be releasing The Legend of Hell House and Motel Hell this summer.
Good news for me. I figured they'd get to Motel Hell.

dwk

#379 Post by dwk » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:09 pm

Scream will be releasing Lord of Illusions later this year
**SURPRISE TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT!**

1995's LORD OF ILLUSIONS will be coming to Blu-ray for the first time later this Fall as a Collector's Edition. The cat was let out of the bag from it's Director himself -- the legendary Clive Barker - today on his Facebook page.

We have no other details to report ay this time but we know a lot of you are excited about the news. More info will become more clearer in the Summer when we begin to work on the title.
Here is Barker's facebook post, which offers some details on what Scream's release will have:
The other movie of mine that Shout is preparing a definitive new edition of (I've just seen the art-work for theDVD.It's superb ) is indeed LORD OF ILLUSIONS,as many of you have already guessed.The edition will have both cuts of the film,interviews,analysis,a profile of D'Amour traced through all his literary and cinematic journeys and Nix knows what else...It's going to be a whole new vision of D'Amour's world,all the way up to,and including ,THE SCARLET GOSPELS.My love to you all, Clive Barker

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#380 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:11 pm

WOW! What a great announcement and a perfect addition to the line-- I love this film, easily my favorite translation of Barker and as-is one of the best works of Barker, period. I was surprised to get batted down when I lobbied for it in the Horror thread a couple years back

Mr Sausage

#381 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:05 pm

I remember enjoying but not being particularly impressed with the movie, but then again I saw it well before I got into Barker's work in general. This'll be a perfect opportunity to revisit it (and give me a reason to hurry up and read some of the D'amour books--speaking of which, looks like the D'amour/Hellraiser crossover, The Scarlet Gospels, has a publisher and will be out in a year's time).

Stuart Galbraith IV

#382 Post by Stuart Galbraith IV » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:26 pm

Gary Teetzel's review of DARKMAN is here:

http://worldcinemaparadise.com/2014/02/ ... kman-1990/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dwk

#383 Post by dwk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:53 pm

4/22/14 - Lady Whirlwind/Hapkido Double Feature
In Lady Whirlwind, Tien (Angela Mao Ying) arrives in town seeking revenge on the man, Ling, who abandoned her pregnant, causing her to take her own life. Ling is on a mission to take down the leader of the gambling and opium syndicate. Tien agrees to help him but she still plans to take her revenge on Ling. Also starring Sammo Hung Kam-Bo and Yi Chang (The One-Armed Swordsman).

Three students (including Angel Mao Ying) are expelled from Korea and move back to China to start up a martial-arts school in Hapikdo, but like in Bruce Lee’s Fists Of Fury, a rival Japanese martial-arts club will do all they can to crush any competing club that opens in their area. Also starring Carter Wong (Big Trouble In Little China) and Sammo Hung Kam-Bo, with cameos by Biao Yuen, Corey Yuen and Jackie Chan, Hapkido is a rip-roaring martial-arts masterpiece!

Discs: 1
Format: NTSC
Video region: Region 1
Color: Color
Language: English, Mandarin
Subtitles: English
5/20/14 - Martial Arts Movie Marathon
Before Jet Li became well-known for the role of Wong Fei Hung, the great Kwan Tak Hing played the role in hundreds of films. The Skyhawk finds Wong Fei Hung fighting the local crime boss. Also starring Sammo Hung, Carter Wong (Big Trouble In Little China) and Nora Miao (Fist Of Fury).

A roaming fighter gets into the ring to win a boxing tournament to thwart an evil warlord in The Manchu Boxer, starring Anthony Lau Wing (The Big Boss), Sammo Hung and Wilson Tong Wai Shing (Lady Whirlwind).

Two fighters must come together to fight a pair of evil brothers in The Dragon Tamers. Starring Carter Wong, James Tien (The Big Boss) and Ji Han Jae (Hapkido), The Dragon Tamers is director John Woo’s (Hard Boiled, The Killer) second film.

A detective must thwart an evil organization is running an international prostituion ring in The Association, starring Byong Yu, Tien Nei (The Young Dragons), Angela Mao Ying (Hapkido) and Carter Wong.

Discs: 2 Format: NTSC
6/17/14- The Angela Mao Ying Collection
“There have been kung fu heroines and slashing swordswomen before her, but never had a female action star taken center cage in world cinema and held it, the way Angela Mao did.”

– Ric Meyers, Films Of Fury: The Kung Fu Movie Book

Get ready for six action-packed martial-arts films featuring martial-arts sensation Angela Mao Ying, the Queen of kung fu (Hapkido, Lady Whirlwind, Enter The Dragon).

Also starring George Lazenby (On Her Majesty’s Secret Service), Bolo Yueng (Enter The Dragon), Jimmy Wang Yu (The One-Armed Swordsman), Sammo Hung Kam-Bo (Project A, Kill Zone), Yuen Biao (Tai Chi Hero, Wheels On Meals) and Carter Huang (Big Trouble In Little China), The Angela Mao Ying Collection is a martial-arts treasure trove for any fan of the genre.

This Six-Movie set includes:
WHEN TAEKWONDO STRIKES (1973)
THE TOURNAMENT (1974)
STONER (1974)
THE HIMALAYAN (1976)
A QUEEN’S RANSOM (1976)
BROKEN OATH (1977)

Discs: 3 Format: NTSC
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Language: English, Mandarin
Subtitles: English

feihong

#384 Post by feihong » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:24 pm

These Angela Mao films are all DVDs, right? That's what it seems to be on the Shout Factory website. I was hoping against hope for some kind of Angela Mao blu-ray. Even one of Stoner.

dwk

#385 Post by dwk » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:42 am

Yes, DVD only. After the hassle of the Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan Blu-rays, I doubt if Shout will release any more Fortune Star stuff on Blu.

Cold Bishop

#386 Post by Cold Bishop » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:04 am

I don't know about quality or MSRP of these releases, but I can tell you, for any newcomers, that The Himalayan and Broken Oath alone are worth the price of admission, two of Golden Harvest's greatest martial-arts films. The former an offbeat almost-Shakespearean tale of interfamily strife and Machiavellian manipulation. The latter a punchy remake of Lady Snowblood walking a fine line between kung-fu and wuxia, with a killer cast and which really manages to hold its own against its more artsy, brooding predecessor.

The Tournament and When Taekwondo Strikes are lesser classics, but classics nonetheless. Although it would have been much more logical to pair them with Hapkido

Orlac

#387 Post by Orlac » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:23 am

I hope they are proper NTSC, corrected subtitles, and original mono. Shouldn't be too much to ask for...?

EddieLarkin

#388 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:16 pm

Scream Factory wrote:We're happy to report that we've gone back into our "vaults" and will be bringing the original 1982 SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE film to Blu-ray for the first time in early 2014! This will be a brand new HD transfer taken from the original camera negative. We had many requests for this and we're pleased to be able to bring this into the Scream family.
Is it just me, or do these caps of the above described transfer look pretty far away from anything close to a new HD OCN scan? This one in particular, though they all look pretty bad.

dwk

#389 Post by dwk » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:43 pm

Scream announced they are releasing Leviathan on Blu-ray in August

L.A.

#390 Post by L.A. » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:04 pm

^ Wonderful news! :D

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#391 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:18 pm

What, no Deep Star Six?

dwk

#392 Post by dwk » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:29 pm

I think Lionsgate has Deep Star Six, so it'll never get released on Blu.

Some updates on announced titles:
Their Ravenous Blu-ray will have all of the special features from the Fox DVD. No word on new extras.

Hellhole has been delayed, while they search for better elements (the master they have is missing 10 minutes of footage and has no audio.)

Sleepaway Camp special features:
**FINAL LIST OF EXTRAS for SLEEPAWAY CAMP**

The 80s summer camp-slasher favorite streets on 5/13 and our Collector’s Edition DVD & Blu-ray combo is packed! The goodies include:

• New 2K scan of the original camera negative. Uncut version!
• New Commentary with actors Felissa Rose (“Angela”) and Jonathan Tiersten (“Ricky”)
• New Commentary with writer/director Robert Hiltzik, moderated by SleepawayCampMovies.com webmaster Jeff Hayes
• Original Audio Commentary with writer/director Robert Hiltzik and star Felissa Rose
• At the Waterfront After the Social: The Legacy of Sleepaway Camp – new interviews with Robert Hiltzik, Felissa Rose, Jonathan Tiersten, Paul DeAngelo (“Ronnie”), Karen Fields (“Judy”), Desiree Gould (“Aunt Martha”), Frank Saladino (“Gene”) and make-up FX artist Ed French.
• Judy - a short film by Jeff Hayes starring Karen Fields
• Princess - A Music Video by Jonathan Tiersten
• Camp Arawak Scrapbook – still gallery
• Theatrical Trailer & TV Spots
Evilspeak and Final Exam special features:
On Blu-ray format for the first time, both titles street on 5/13. Check out the list of extras that will be on each!

Evilspeak:
• New interviews with actors Richard Moll, Claude Earl Jones, Haywood Nelson, Loren Lester and Lynn Hancock
• New 2013 1080p High Definition transfer supervised and approved by Eric Weston
• Audio Commentary with producer/director Eric Weston
• Interviews with cast members Joseph Cortese, Clint Howard and Don Stark
• Theatrical Trailer

Final Exam:
• New 2013 High Definition transfer From The Original Camera Negative
• Audio Commentary With Cast Members Joel Rice, Cecile Bagdadi And Sherry Willis-Burch
• Interviews With Cast Members Joel Rice, Cecile Bagdadi And Sherry Willis-Burch
• Theatrical Trailer
Phantom of the Paradise cover art:

Feego

#393 Post by Feego » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:16 pm

That's fantastic cover art for Phantom of the Paradise to rival Arrow. Now we just have to wait and see how the extras and transfer stand up.

dwk

#394 Post by dwk » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:16 pm

**NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT!**

We are very thrilled to report that we are bringing Greydon Clark’s 1980 alien/slasher cult classic WITHOUT WARNING to DVD & Blu-ray for the first time this August!

This long-overdue release has been requested several times since we started the brand so we know many of you just jumped for joy. (We're jumping too!) What makes this even more exciting is that this title has never been released on ANY home entertainment format in the U.S. or Canada (and is often bootlegged as some of you can attest to) so to be able to bring this out period is a feat in itself.

No further details to report back at this time but we'll keep you posted on developments in a few months. The artwork you see - which uses the original theatrical poster - is final.(However, the flipside will have the other poster art some of you may remember with a girl running from flying alien discs.)

Our "Summer of Fear" release slate is now completel. Starting in May, the mayhem includes:

MAY
Final Exam
Evilspeak
Nosferatu
House in the Alley
Sleepaway Camp (Collector's Edition)

JUNE
Ravenous
The Monkey's Paw

JULY
The Final Terror
Lake Placid (Collector's Edition)
Deadly Eyes
Ginger Snaps (Collector's Edition)

AUGUST
Phantom of the Paradise (Collector's Edition)
Motel Hell (Collector's Edition)
Leviathan
The Legend of Hell House
Dog Soldiers (Collector's Edition)
Without Warning

Note: We are still working on trying bring HELLHOLE back into the mix too after pulling it for film element issues. We'll keep you posted but this one has been putting us through some “hell” of sorts.

For fans itching for further title announcements, we’re going to be a little quiet for awhile (at least a month) so please be patient. We have several more tricks up our sleeves!

colinr0380

#395 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:47 am

Very much looking forward to seeing this. The trailer for Without Warning turns up on the fourth volume of the 42nd Street Forever trailer compilations. The film looks to feature a great veteran cast including Jack Palance, Martin Landau, Cameron Mitchell (best known for Carousel, but here in the midst of his Toolbox Murders exploitation second career) and Ralph Meeker. Plus David Caruso's first feature film role and the alien played by Kevin Peter Hall years before he would be in another homicidal alien suit in Predator and Predator 2!

dwk

#396 Post by dwk » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:19 pm

Professor Wagstaff

#397 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:33 pm

Wish I liked Motel Hell. Scream Factory has incredible cover art and this one ranks among their best.

John Doe

#398 Post by John Doe » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:09 am

From Amazon.

July 29:

Herzog: Collection

July 8:

Southern Comfort

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#399 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:00 am

domino harvey wrote:
Jeff wrote:Shout Factory has got the rights to Pee-Wee's Playhouse and is remastering the whole series and Christmas special in high def for a Blu-ray release next year. Paul Reubens insisted on shooting the show on 16mm film rather than video, so it should look great.
Wow, Reubens was promising that there'd be a special edition second version of the complete series so long ago that I figured it was just wishful thinking, but there it is! \:D/
Coming in August

Gregory

#400 Post by Gregory » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:24 pm

Blu-ray.com gives Pee Wee's Playhouse a "19%" rating for "Family" movie appeal (explanation: "This movie is suitable for the whole family to see.")? Utter nonsense.
But The Jesus Film gets a 100% rating? Yeah, kids just go nuts for painstaking scriptural accuracy and crucifixion and stuff.