Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
captveg

Re: Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#751 Post by captveg » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:49 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:Bruce Lee in 4k.
Some info from OldPangYau, who is working on these releases for Shout, via Blu-ray.com forums:

"I'm actually putting the finishing touches on an audio commentary that I recorded for The Big Boss.

Also, fear not, the US titles will only be on the covers, I confirmed this a while back.

I may try to work on a few other things to give them for both films, but it comes down to how much time I have."

---

"If all goes well, my featurette and the mono tracks [from the 2013 release] will be ported over"

---

"I'd love to film a sit down where I discuss the deleted scenes set to stills, but timing may work against me."

---

"I think Shout is testing the water with these two before they jump in with WOTD or GOD, but these two will definitely have all of the audio options from the 2013 discs"

---

"L'Immagine Ritrovata already completed restoration work on the the four non-ETD films for Fortune Star. It's just that Kam and Ronson have only released the first two so far."

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#752 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:47 am

Complete Billy Jack collection in January

flyonthewall2983

#753 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:42 pm

November 15th

DISC ONE
High-Definition Transfer Of The Film (1.78:1 Aspect Ratio)
NEW Audio Commentary With Writer William Beard, Author Of The Artist As Monster: The Cinema Of David Cronenberg
Audio Commentary With Actor Jeremy Irons

DISC TWO
NEW 2K Scan At The Director's Preferred Aspect Ratio (1.66:1)
NEW Carey's Story – An Interview With Heidi Von Palleske
NEW Working Artist – An Interview With Stephen Lack
NEW Connecting Tissues – An Interview With Special Effects Artist Gordon Smith
NEW Double Vision – An Interview With Director Of Photography Peter Suschitzky
Vintage interviews With Jeremy Irons, Director/Co-writer David Cronenberg, Producer Marc Boyman And Co-writer Norman Snider
Vintage Behind-The-Scenes Featurette
Original Theatrical Trailer

hearthesilence

#754 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:08 pm

I thought Dead Ringers was 1.66:1?

dwk

#755 Post by dwk » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:13 pm

Here are the specs for Rabid (November 22):
NEW 2K scan from the negative at the director David Cronenberg’s preferred aspect ratio (1.66:1)
NEW audio interview with author Jill C. Nelson (Golden Goddesses: 25 Legendary Women of Classic Erotic Cinema, 1968-1985) and Marilyn Chambers’ personal appearances manager Ken Leicht
NEW Young and Rabid – an interview with actress Susan Roman (33 minutes)
Audio Commentary with writer-director David Cronenberg
Audio Commentary with William Beard, author of The Artist as Monster: The Cinema of David Cronenberg
Archival interview with David Cronenberg (21 minutes)
Interview with executive producer Ivan Reitman (13 minutes)
Interview with co-producer Don Carmody (16 minutes)
From Stereo to Video – A video essay by Caelum Vatnsdal, author of They Came from Within: A History of Canadian Horror Cinema (26 minutes)
Theatrical Trailer
TV Spot
Radio Spots (U.S. and U.K.)
Still Gallery

It has be confirmed that the master is not the same one used by Arrow

Werewolf by Night

#756 Post by Werewolf by Night » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:14 pm

hearthesilence wrote:I thought Dead Ringers was 1.66:1?
See the specs for disc 2.

hearthesilence

#757 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:15 pm

Ah, awesome!

JamesF

#758 Post by JamesF » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:19 am

Very confused as to why they felt there was any point even including the 1.78:1 version - why not put the commentaries on Disc 2 and just have one director-approved uber-disc?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#759 Post by tenia » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:06 am

I guess because the new scan will have a different color-grading and like for other of their releases with new scans with different color gradings, they prefer to include both so that people won't whine too much about it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#760 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:29 am

Colors with Sean Penn and Robert Duvall coming to Blu-ray early next year

dwk

#761 Post by dwk » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:44 pm

Scream Factory announced a bunch of titles they are going release next year:
Okay by now you know we couldn’t let this day go by without some title announcements right? ;-) Here’s some treats to look forward to on Blu-ray in 2017:

- TALES FROM THE HOOD (1995) – The often-requested anthology film (Executive Producer by Spike Lee!) will finally make its Blu-ray format debut.

- DEADTIME STORIES (1986) – Another fun and highly-requested anthology movie that many remember from the 80s which features Scott Valentine, Melissa Leo and a title sequence song that you’ll never get out of your head!

- FIRESTARTER (1984) – Stephen King’s fiery psychic tale is planned for the Collector’s Edition treatment and will receive an all-new 2K film transfer!

- DEMENTED (1980) – Many remember this obscure exploitation revenge outing because it was originally on the early Home Media VHS label (once the home for Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street and other classics) and its cover art was in video stores everywhere. Stars Harry Reems (of Deep Throat fame)

- WHAT’S THE MATTER WITH HELEN? (1971) – Debbie Reynolds and Shelly Winters star in this offbeat and melodramatic thriller that has its fair share of fans. Also stars Dennis Weaver and Agnes Moorehead in supporting roles.

- THE SCREAMING SKULL (1958) – We head back into the 50s bring you this enjoyable spooky gem about newlyweds that scared plenty back in its day.

- PSYCHO (1998) – Gus Van Sant’s ambitious and highly-publicized (at the time) remake of Hitchcock’s classic makes its debut on the Blu-ray format.

- THE VAGRANT (1992) – Bill Paxton and Michael Ironside star in this interesting and unique comedic horror film executive-produced by Mel Brooks!

- THE ANGRY RED PLANET (1959) – A trip to mars turns into terror in this campy sci-fi thriller classic.

- VIRUS (1999) – Speaking of Sci-fi thrillers, we have another one to add…but this one stars legendary Scream Queen Jamie Lee Curtis! Also features William Baldwin and Donald Sutherland and has been long due for reevaluation.

There you have it! Please note that we have very little specific details about them at this time other than what we have provided above. As always, we’ll provide more information down the road when we can.

Again, Happy Halloween to everyone and enjoy the rest of the best holiday of the year!

The Narrator Returns

#762 Post by The Narrator Returns » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:47 pm

Oh man, I am buying the shit out of the Psycho Blu-Ray. I really hope SF manages to get an interview with Christopher Doyle for it, or maybe even Soderbergh's Psychos.
Last edited by The Narrator Returns on Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#763 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:49 pm

dwk wrote:- DEADTIME STORIES (1986) – Another fun and highly-requested anthology movie that many remember from the 80s which features Scott Valentine, Melissa Leo and a title sequence song that you’ll never get out of your head!
Horrible movie, but the last part is accurate

beamish13

#764 Post by beamish13 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:49 pm

excited about TALES FROM THE HOOD and THE VAGRANT.

Contrary to that press release, VIRUS is not and never will be due for a reassessment #-o

colinr0380

#765 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:11 pm

beamish13 wrote:Contrary to that press release, VIRUS is not and never will be due for a reassessment #-o
Apart from featuring perhaps the most brutal treatment of the Ripley-styled sci-fi action heroine character that I've ever seen!

cdnchris
Site Admin

#766 Post by cdnchris » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:18 pm

Virus is terrible, but I'm all over Tales From the Hood (and maybe Psycho if it's a decent looking edition).

carmilla mircalla

#767 Post by carmilla mircalla » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:22 pm

Tales From The Hood is one of the best of the 90's and I have been waiting so long to see someone pick it up for restoration. I can not wait to see what special features they will create for this

beamish13

#768 Post by beamish13 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:39 pm

carmilla mircalla wrote:Tales From The Hood is one of the best of the 90's and I have been waiting so long to see someone pick it up for restoration. I can not wait to see what special features they will create for this

Yep. Rusty Cundieff has done great Q&A's at Tales From the Hood screenings, and I'd love to get a commentary with him.

Feego

#769 Post by Feego » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:42 pm

cdnchris wrote:I'm all over Tales From the Hood (and maybe Psycho if it's a decent looking edition).
Seconded. I've never seen Tales from the Hood, but it looks like fun. And I will definitely grab Psycho. I won't go so far as to say that it's a misunderstood masterpiece, but I do think Van Sant was up to something more than he has ever admitted (on his DVD commentary, he basically says he just wanted to release a colorized version to attract young audiences). It's a fascinatingly confounding movie.

dwk

#770 Post by dwk » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:11 pm

I'm interested in what they are using for Tales from the Hood, as I believe they couldn't find the original elements.

Costa

#771 Post by Costa » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:35 pm

I wish they had unvailed some more information about Black Christmas, since this is the one I'm most looking for from them now..

Adam X

#772 Post by Adam X » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:14 am

***BLACK CHRISTMAS UPDATE***

The holidays are just around the corner and we’ll celebrating it in terrifying style with our upcoming 2-disc Collector’s Edition Blu-ray release of Bob Clark’s original BLACK CHRISTMAS. Please read on below for our final list of extras and specs:

DISC 1:
• NEW 2016 2K scan of the negative (1.85:1) – DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, DTS-HD Master Audio Mono
• Audio Commentary with director Bob Clark
• Audio Commentary with actors John Saxon and Keir Dullea
• Audio Commentary with Billy (actor Nick Mancuso)
• Audio interview with director Bob Clark

DISC 2:
• 2006 Critical Mass HD Master (1.78:1) – DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
• NEW Film and Furs – Remembering Black Christmas with Art Hindle
• NEW Victims and Virgins – Remembering Black Christmas with Lynne Griffin
• Black Christmas Legacy
• 40th Anniversary Panel at FanExpo 2014 featuring John Saxon, Art Hindle, Lynne Griffin & Nick Mancuso
• On Screen!: Black Christmas featurette
• 12 Days of Black Christmas featurette
• Black Christmas Revisited featurette
• Archival Interviews with Olivia Hussey, Art Hindle, Margot Kidder, Bob Clark, & John Saxon
• Midnight Screening Q&A with Bob Clark, John Saxon and Carl Zittrer
• Two scenes with a new vocal soundtrack
• Original Theatrical Trailers (English and French)
• Original TV and Radio Spots
• Alternative Title Sequences
• Still Gallery

Official street date is December 13th but if you pre-order directly from us you’ll get it shipped early plus receive an exclusive 18” x 24” poster of the newly-commissioned artwork (while supplies last). Pre-order now @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;…/black...ollector-s-…

Special note: We do want to address our new transfer specifically here to manage expectations. Our 2K scan was made from the original film negative and retains the grain and softness you would have seen during its original release in 1974. We have not applied any digital noise reduction and restored the original 1.85:1 aspect ratio used in US theaters. Unfortunately, the negative had suffered some damage over the years but we have spent a lot of extra resources / costs to clean it up the best we could. We’re pleased with our results and hope you will enjoy the presentation.

In our efforts to make sure our overall release could be as comprehensive and definitive as possible, we have also included the prior HD version on Disc 2 (and corrected some audio sync issues it had) for those who may prefer it’s 1.78 aspect ratio.

Cronenfly

#773 Post by Cronenfly » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:32 pm

Looks like Rabid is a significant improvement over the Arrow edition. The Arrow looks quite bleached by comparison and devoid of detail in many low-light scenes (see the movie theatre cap, for instance), as well as a bit stretched to fill the 1.78:1 frame (the Scream loses a little info on the sides but also loses some face chub).

And on a somewhat unrelated note: is there a way to use caps-a-holic effectively on an iPad, or do you need to have the ability to run a cursor on/off the image (as on a desktop/with a mouse) in order to properly see the comparisons?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#774 Post by tenia » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:18 pm

It looks like an improvement in the colors and the contrast (plus the stretching) but details wise, I would have thought it would beat the Arrow which it doesnt seem to do.

Cronenfly

#775 Post by Cronenfly » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:33 pm

They have a comparison of the two versions of Dead Ringers up as well. I think the 1.78:1 version looks superior in terms of detail (the 1.66:1 disc looks a bit fuzzy by comparison and often quite pinkish on my display, I prefer the cooler tones of the first disc). I would agree that the level of visible detail does not look ideal in the case of these discs or Rabid, but I don't know if any better editions are apt to come along, either.