It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Indicator
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:32 am 

What A Disgrace wrote:
For some reason, Harryhausen number 1 is listed as being released on Friday on Amazon, instead of today.

October 2, in fact - there was a delay in production of the boxes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:10 pm 

CineOutsider on See No Evil.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:35 pm 

Will December's slate be revealed soon?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:57 pm 

What A Disgrace wrote:
Will December's slate be revealed soon?

yes, i was wondering about that too.
i saw my previous emails from Indicator, and it was around this time usually.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:16 pm 

I believe there's only one title being announced for December. We'll likely find out in the next week or so.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:23 pm 

No, Indicator's confirmed (see previous page) they will not slow their release rate for December, which probably means in addition to the Hammer Box 2 there'll be two additional titles (possibly at least one of which is from the new license?)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:45 pm 

Rapta is more accurate than Ribs.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:19 pm 

I’ve now bought two copies of the Indicator release of “The Big Heat”, and in both cases the Blu-ray disc was incredibly mechanically noisy. The DVD doesn’t exhibit the problem, and I haven’t had problems with the Blu-ray discs on other of their releases. Is anyone else running into this, or have I just been spectacularly unlucky?

I’ve got an inquiry in to the company to see whether they’ve had other complaints, and whether this may be a problem with the entire run.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:46 am 

DeprongMori wrote:
I’ve now bought two copies of the Indicator release of “The Big Heat”, and in both cases the Blu-ray disc was incredibly mechanically noisy. The DVD doesn’t exhibit the problem, and I haven’t had problems with the Blu-ray discs on other of their releases. Is anyone else running into this, or have I just been spectacularly unlucky?

I’ve got an inquiry in to the company to see whether they’ve had other complaints, and whether this may be a problem with the entire run.

I just popped the blu-ray tonight and I am noticing the same. Personally it only bothers me on brighter close-up shots of faces/skin. I am not familiar with what causes this noise (or grain) and the details on the blu-ray show that the master was an older one by Sony.

Again, on the whole I do not find it very distracting at all. It doesn’t help that the first scene is one of the most affected by this effect.

Keep us informed on the response.

On the whole I still thought this was a beautiful transfer, with great detail and wonderful contrast.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:25 am 

What DeprongMori meant is that the disc itself is making a lot of noise in the BD-player, not that the picture was visually noisy.
In the past, when I had some cases with some noisy DVDs, I was told it was because the disc wasn't perfectly flat, thus the sound when spinning at high speed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:12 pm 

tenia wrote:
What DeprongMori meant is that the disc itself is making a lot of noise in the BD-player, not that the picture was visually noisy.
In the past, when I had some cases with some noisy DVDs, I was told it was because the disc wasn't perfectly flat, thus the sound when spinning at high speed.

Oops.. :lol: :-"

Definitely NO mechanical noise from the disc itself. I have no idea why I interpreted "mechanical noise" in such an incorrect manner. I think it might be because I never expected someone to have noise from the disc spinning inside the player. After 5 dvd players and 3 blu-ray players, I have never experienced such a problem with any discs. Strange :-k

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:06 pm 

PianoMan88 wrote:
After 5 dvd players and 3 blu-ray players, I have never experienced such a problem with any discs. Strange

Out of something like over 1200 disks, I only rarely run into the problem myself. When I have it's mostly been out of print discs that I've bought used. (Damn you, Bob le Flambeur!) This one I thought I'd ask about because it was two new, sealed copies of a new release that I bought from separate sources, both exhibiting the same problem.

So, if no one else has experienced this, it's looking like maybe I just had spectacularly bad luck with "The Big Heat".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:00 am 

DeprongMori wrote:
PianoMan88 wrote:
After 5 dvd players and 3 blu-ray players, I have never experienced such a problem with any discs. Strange

Out of something like over 1200 disks, I only rarely run into the problem myself. When I have it's mostly been out of print discs that I've bought used. (Damn you, Bob le Flambeur!) This one I thought I'd ask about because it was two new, sealed copies of a new release that I bought from separate sources, both exhibiting the same problem.

So, if no one else has experienced this, it's looking like maybe I just had spectacularly bad luck with "The Big Heat".

It has happened to me with new discs before but not with the big heat, the latest was my Criterion copy of Punch Drunk Love. I have no idea why it happenes sometimes though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:32 pm 

I'm actually currently taking a few days to watch The Big Heat. I didn't notice any issues.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:56 am 

Indicator's sole December release has just been revealed:

Quote:
THE PUMPKIN EATER
(Jack Clayton, 1964)
Release date: 4 December 2017
Limited Blu-ray Edition (World Blu-ray premiere)

Anne Bancroft delivers a towering performance as a deeply troubled and tormented wife in this sharply observed portrait of a woman – and a marriage – in crisis. Directed by Jack Clayton (Room at the Top, The Innocents), with a screenplay by Harold Pinter (The Birthday Party) based on the acclaimed novel by Penelope Mortimer, this spellbinding film boasts sublime cinematography by the great Oswald Morris (Look Back in Anger, Fragment of Fear), a wonderful score by Georges Delerue (Le Mépris) and outstanding supporting performances from James Mason (The Deadly Affair), Maggie Smith (California Suite) and Yootha Joyce (Fanatic, Fragment of Fear).

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with author and film historian Neil Sinyard (2017)
• Jeremy Mortimer on Penelope Mortimer (2017): a personal remembrance by the author's son
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by British-film expert Melanie Williams, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles
• World premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Edition of 3,000 copies
• More TBC

#PHILTD035
BBFC cert: 12
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071144

Powerhouse's official page is here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:21 am 

An excellent choice for release! Good to see Indicator giving these previously neglected British titles (The Reckoning, The Deadly Affair, etc.) the attention they deserve. I only caught this for the first time about five years ago and it's a fantastic film, very evocative of it's time and place. I found the salon scene with Yootha Joyce to be much more terrifying than anything contained in Indicator's Hammer Box-set!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:32 am 

"Neglected British titles" are a key part of Powerhouse's plan, so I'm very glad this has been noticed.

For starters, they're easier to license from Sony as Sony themselves aren't especially interested in doing anything with them, and although they need to be counterbalanced with more commercially attractive titles I can honestly say that things like the August slate (The Deadly Affair, The Reckoning and the two Peter Nichols adaptations) were the most stimulating Powerhouse projects I'd worked on until Hammer volume 1 came along. And of course the Hammer boxes fall into the same category, especially as Sony's titles are amongst the studio's more obscure ones.

(One of the reasons why they're so stimulating is that we almost invariably have to create the extras ourselves - we notionally have access to all previous Sony-produced extras, which has been great for things like the Harryhausen boxes, but if they never made any in the first place that's not much help! Which is why I'm so proud of The Deadly Affair in particular, as we came up with six and a half hours of extras on top of the trailer.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:46 am 

I'd however be wary of using too many very dated hd masters. I know not everything is lavishly restored, and I know some movies might be perceived as worthy of a re-release, but something like The Reckoning HD master is really borderline HD worthy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:55 am 

The Reckoning had never previously had a video release on any format in its native country, so it was absolutely worth doing. Yes, it's not exactly a 4K restoration (and neither is a film like that ever likely to get one, unless the Indicator release belatedly turns it into a major cult hit), but on its own terms it's perfectly watchable.

You have to be pragmatic about these things - if we obsessively prioritised picture quality above all else, a key part of the raison d'être of the Indicator label (namely, rescuing and showcasing undeservedly neglected films) would evaporate. I mainly freelance for Powerhouse and Second Run these days, and both labels have more in common philosophically than you might think from glancing at their catalogues. Indeed, I was rather tickled by the fact that both labels were putting out Ray Harryhausen and Karel Zeman releases more or less simultaneously.

(True, Second Run could still get away with a VHS-quality master in a way that Powerhouse emphatically couldn't, but with a major studio library you expect minimum technical standards in a way that you don't with ultra-obscure eastern European films that haven't had a fresh telecine for decades.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:19 am 

Very happy about Clayton's The Pumpkin Eaters. I actually asked John about that one a while ago but never got a clear answer. Nice to have a surprise like this!

Notice they mentioned there may be some sort of anniversary offer soon so may hold off pick-ups of recent titles like The Deadly Affair and See No Evil (the two I mostly want to catch up on).

Interesting they mention there will be a 'number' of Jack Nicholson titles in the new year. Hopefully that includes The Missouri Breaks, but also one or two Monte Hellman would be nice. I'm also looking forward to Night of the Demon, which might be the 'special' edition they're teasing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:25 am 

MichaelB wrote:
The Reckoning had never previously had a video release on any format in its native country, so it was absolutely worth doing. Yes, it's not exactly a 4K restoration, but on its own terms it's perfectly watchable.

I understand the difficulties of having to deal with this kind of pragmatism, but I suppose many people buying Indicator's DFs releases certainly are doing so for the BD disc (as Indicator themselves said when switching to BD-only releases) and this certainly comes with certain technical expectations (and one could argue “perfectly watchable” could be insufficient). Why then not releasing the movie just on DVD if it’s to otherwise release a mediocre-at-best BD ?

That's the consumer nuance I wanted to provide. It's not so much a question of obsessively prioritise PQ, but rather a question of making sure that if you're selling a movie on a superior video format, the capacities of this superior format are adequately used. With some dated HD masters, it just isn't the case.

Regarding The Reckoning specifically, if I had to give it a grade, I’d probably give it something like 5.5 out of 10. That’s not what I expect of a BD. I’m OK with something going down to, say, 7 out of 10 (which doesn’t need a brand new 4K OCN restoration to reach), I'd still believe my money is well spent, but otherwise, it might not feel so, hence my concern. For instance, I’m OK with some old HD masters like Day of the Jackal, Le samourai, Mickey One, Brute Force or others, they feel OK enough to warrant a BD release. But Dark Water, The Reckoning, Sword of Doom ?

I'm not saying it's an easy decision to make for the labels and I don't want to belittle some of these decisions (though I'm certain some labels just don't care at all, and those should be pointed ou). I'm just saying that, from a BD-buyer point of view, using such type of material might dilute the will to purchase the release because in the majority of the cases, I could have just got the DVD for cheaper.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:30 am 

tenia wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
The Reckoning had never previously had a video release on any format in its native country, so it was absolutely worth doing. Yes, it's not exactly a 4K restoration, but on its own terms it's perfectly watchable.

I understand the difficulties of having to deal with this kind of pragmatism, but I suppose many people buying Indicator's DFs releases certainly are doing so for the BD disc (as Indicator themselves said when switching to BD-only releases) and this certainly comes with certain technical expectations (and one could argue “perfectly watchable” could be insufficient). Why then not releasing the movie just on DVD if it’s to otherwise release a mediocre-at-best BD ?

That's the consumer nuance I wanted to provide. It's not so much a question of obsessively prioritise PQ, but rather a question of making sure that if you're selling a movie on a superior video format, the capacities of this superior format are adequately used. With some dated HD masters, it just isn't the case.

Regarding The Reckoning specifically, if I had to give it a grade, I’d probably give it something like 5.5 out of 10. That’s not what I expect of a BD. I’m OK with something going down to, say, 7 out of 10 (which doesn’t need a brand new 4K OCN restoration to reach), I'd still believe my money is well spent, but otherwise, it might not feel so, hence my concern. For instance, I’m OK with some old HD masters like Day of the Jackal, Le samourai, Mickey One, Brute Force or others, they feel OK enough to warrant a BD release. But Dark Water, The Reckoning, Sword of Doom ?

I'm not saying it's an easy decision to make for the labels and I don't want to belittle some of these decisions (though I'm certain some labels just don't care at all, and those should be pointed ou). I'm just saying that, from a BD-buyer point of view, using such type of material might dilute the will to purchase the release because in the majority of the cases, I could have just got the DVD for cheaper.
This is spot on. I have the Region 1 DVD of The Reckoning and was seriously considering what I thought was going to be an upgrade. After reading reviews and comments, I realized I would do well to simply stick with what I had. Had I not had that information--had I purchased the Blu-ray disc in ignorance only to discover for myself its lackluster quality--I would have been seriously annoyed. Now I realize I cannot blind buy Indicator product. As much as I like, say, The Pumpkin Eater, I won't be purchasing that until I know for certain the BD is offering a significant visual upgrade.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:47 am 

Of course that may be your prerogative, Jack, but there are surely tons of people (like me!) that have never seen the film and even began buying films in the blu-ray era. This will be my first exposure to the film, I liked The Innocents, so I will check out this film I surely never would have paid a mind to unless Indicator released it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:55 am 

And surely I'm not the only one who really doesn't care about how much better it looks? It looks better - I wouldn't be able to watch the DVD knowing there's a version readily accesible that's got HD resolution that does a good job with probably the same master.

They mentioned that the first non-Columbia titles will be coming in January, fwiw.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:03 am 

rapta wrote:
Interesting they mention there will be a 'number' of Jack Nicholson titles in the new year. Hopefully that includes The Missouri Breaks, but also one or two Monte Hellman would be nice.

Where did they mention that? At facebook?
I would also like a new scan of The Missouri Breaks, and also The Witches of Eastwick and maybe The Passenger.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next