It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Indicator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:11 pm 

Definitely in for The Deadly Affair, as I'm a big Lumet fan (The Anderson Tapes being the worst film of his I've seen, but I will get the Indicator release at some point).

Apparently The Chase, See No Evil and The Ray Harryhausen Collection are set for September, but not officially detailed yet.

beamish13 wrote:
Indicator is doing a tremendous job with these Sony/Columbia titles that have been relegated to burn-on-demand discs in the States. Fingers crossed
that The Pumpkin Eater, The Gravy Train, Eyes of Laura Mars, and Happy Birthday, Wanda June are on the horizon, too

Eyes of Laura Mars already confirmed, and coming out in November/December (according to comments made by Indicator on Facebook)!

I've actually asked specifically about both The Gravy Train and The Pumpkin Eater, but no confirmation on either (I expect the latter is more likely as the master seems to be in reasonably good shape).

I'm not familiar with Happy Birthday, Wanda June but I just looked it up and...Vonnegut, Robson, Steiger. I'd be well up for that!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:37 pm 

I've been extremely happy with the quality and the selection of movies by Indicator. I have Christine (encoded better than the German blu ray I saw), Body Double, Bunny Lake is Missing, Fat City and Hardcore all looking remarkable.

Very much looking forward to Deadly Affair, an excellent thriller with great use of miserable and atmospheric locations albeit with a couple of melodramatic doemetic scenes that don't really fit the material,or the George Smiley character. On the whole it's a fabulous thriller by the great Lumet. This announcement was a very exciting surprise.

I really hope Pumpkin Eater will follow as there's a paucity of Harold Pinter scripted films on Blu ray that is in dire need of addressing. Acknowledging Criterion's French Lieutenant’s Woman, a fine French Blu ray of Reunion & the upcoming Kino release of The Birthday Party.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:14 pm 

The Deadly Affair also has surprisingly yummy cinematography by Freddie Young. One of the few Lumet films that doesn't look like complete shit, it isn't according-to-Hoyle cinematic but Young's work is very craftsmanlike, moody, evocatively dreary and generally pleasing. Working for Lumet is the ultimate test for any DoP, and the only one who passes it with flying colors for me is Boris Kaufman, which is why he's the greatest of all time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:42 pm 

A cursory mention of Hope and Glory in the booklet for Housekeeping is making me hopeful it's a title on Indicator's list.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:47 pm 
Dot Com Dom

It's MGM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:22 pm 

Actually, it is Sony (at least in the UK), but I don't think it's on Indicator's radar.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:25 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Interesting, it's def MGM stateside, wonder if that would impact their ability to do a region-free release were it ever to enter their radar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:35 pm 

I wouldn't have thought of it but for the booklet contextualizing it is another Columbia oddity from the same era, which twigged me that it could be on the table. Wouldn't surprise me if Sony doesn't have the US rights that getting it remastered could be a pain.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:12 pm 

Randall Maysin wrote:
The Deadly Affair also has surprisingly yummy cinematography by Freddie Young. One of the few Lumet films that doesn't look like complete shit

Are you kidding me? The majority of Lumet films have high visual sophistication. A casual read of his book 'Making Movies' will reveal his deep understanding and love for cinematography. Personal opinions and matter of taste aside -- in terms of pure mood and texture, look no further than MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS (Unsworth), DOG DAY AFTERNOON (Kemper) or THE VERDICT (Bartkowiak). And obviously, THE DEADLY AFFAIR with the great Freddie Young. During my days in school, I'd study Lumet films specifically for my cinematography projects. His choice of camera height and lens focal-lengths was very specific and a source of great inspiration, not just among budding directors but also DPs. They continue to influence my professional work to this very day. To say most Lumet films look like "complete shit" is not fair.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:22 pm 

Something can be not fair and still true. With the exception of Murder on the Orient Express and maybe Dog Day Afternoon it is hard to say that terribly many of his films are their DPs most successful efforts nor does having a great understanding of cinematography necessarily make a person good at visualizing it as a film (though it does often help). Maybe not as strongly, but I agree with Maysin that Lumet's films are rarely successful with the visual efforts they are aiming for (The Wiz and Q&A seem the least successful on this level to me). I do think his black and white work tends to be quite good, but his colour stuff is often obnoxious in its desperation to be realistic through trite techniques. Perhaps that is why his more fantastic efforts appeal to me more.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:52 pm 

MichaelB wrote:
Actually, it is Sony (at least in the UK), but I don't think it's on Indicator's radar.

Perhaps Eureka then? I guess we'll find out in due time...though their Sony-related announcements have quietened down lately (wondering if they're stopping at fifteen titles; only six of them MoC).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:08 pm 

Indicator have said they're working on deals with studios other than Sony, so we may not have to dismiss all non-Sony titles for much longer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:24 pm 

Calvin wrote:
Indicator have said they're working on deals with studios other than Sony, so we may not have to dismiss all non-Sony titles for much longer

Yes but probably not 'til next year at the earliest from what I can tell. Still have a lot from the first (two?) Sony deal(s?) they've signed off on. I wonder who they're looking into though - if I were them I'd have a stab at Paramount, since Eureka are the only other UK label who've seemed to have been able to crack their vault (though it'd probably have to be done through Universal, admittedly). Plenty left from their libraries begging for UK releases, two clear examples being Johnny Guitar and High Noon (to start things off).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:17 am 

Does anyone know if the Sinbad movies will be sold seperately?

I just saw at caps-a-holic that the Eye of the tiger is worse than the TT I own, so - since I own the other TT Sinbad too (this seems similar with the Indicator one)- I'd be interested only in The 7th voyage of Sinbad.

edit: Oh, just saw a reply of theirs in a comment at facebook that it will be sold seperately! :)

By the way, I can't believe that people are saying at bluray.com that this actually looks better.
Well, to each his own.

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=2&x=438&y=265&d1=10482&d2=5399&s1=102113&s2=50382&l=1&i=3&go=1
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=2&x=789&y=50&d1=10482&d2=5399&s1=102113&s2=50382&l=1&i=3&go=1
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=2&x=903&y=403&d1=10482&d2=5399&s1=102116&s2=50387&l=1&i=6&go=1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:00 am 

Costa wrote:

I think I did a lot of that defending, and I do prefer the brighter colours, but having looked at it a lot noise isn't great and the edge enhancement is quite bad. I hope someone at Indicator can make a post about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:48 am 

Bumstead wrote:
Are you kidding me? The majority of Lumet films have high visual sophistication

Well sure, that's true in a way - Lumet is considered a master of the psychological aspect of visuals, and I concur with that for the films of his I've seen, although that's just my untutored opinion and general feeling, as this is an aspect of film that I don't know jack shit about, haha! Even as awful and empty a film of his like The Anderson Tapes does have an undeniable crude visual energy and effectiveness, so that's an accomplishment I suppose. When you compare Lumet's recurrent visual signature with that of someone like Huston or maybe William Wyler (I've only seen two of his films though), at least on some of these filmmakers less visually prepossessing films, Lumet's visuals are 'better' - they're always psychologically clever, powerful and involving on some level, whereas Huston and Wyler at their worst are not. But I think most film fans agree with me that Lumet has one of the most, if not the most, viscerally ugly and jagged compositional sense of all the big directors.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:57 am 

Randall Maysin wrote:
But I think most film fans agree with me that Lumet has one of the most, if not the most, viscerally ugly and jagged compositional sense of all the big directors.

You can't possibly back this up with evidence, so why say it in the first place? Are you so lacking in confidence when it comes to your own argument that you need to hide behind the skirts of people who may not even exist?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:13 pm 

Apperson wrote:
I think I did a lot of that defending, and I do prefer the brighter colours, but having looked at it a lot noise isn't great and the edge enhancement is quite bad. I hope someone at Indicator can make a post about it.

it's a pity seeing this again, the usual bashing (internet rubbish, armchair critics) of the people that have a better perceptiveness of a transfer:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p ... tcount=165

The "nothing" the gentleman refers to here is the fact, that the master Indicator used is very clearly the exact same used for the UK DVD released in 2005!!

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0& ... 92&i=4&l=0
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0& ... 94&i=6&l=0

same colors, same brightness, same halos, same blown out whites etc..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:23 pm 

MichaelB wrote:
You can't possibly back this up with evidence

Very well: the few people I have spoken with about Lumet's visuals all agree with my verdict. I admit that I don't really know how to provide 'evidence' when I'm trying to simply prove that a film visual is visually ugly, and I don't think merely posting some of Lumet's poorer shots would suffice. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:49 pm 

Randall Maysin wrote:
Very well: the few people I have spoken with about Lumet's visuals all agree with my verdict. I admit that I don't really know how to provide 'evidence' when I'm trying to simply prove that a film visual is visually ugly, and I don't think merely posting some of Lumet's poorer shots would suffice. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

My reference to "evidence" was entirely to do with your sweeping claim that "most film fans agree" with you, something that you cannot possibly know and obviously can't demonstrate.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:24 pm 

So we're saying that 12 Angry Men, The Fugitive Kind, Long Day's Journey into Night,
The Pawnbroker, The Hill, The Offense, Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, Network,
Equus, etc. etc. are somehow poorly photographed? C'mon.

Lumet may not have a consistent approach to mise en scene, but this is probably due more to
his interest in how to best serve the material at hand rather than adopt a uniform photographic
approach for every film.

Each person has their own personal response to a film or filmmaker's oeuvre. Let's leave it at that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:07 pm 

Any indication from Indicator (ha ha) that an edition of OUR MAN IN HAVANA is coming? I'd really like to not purchase the Twilight Time disc if I can help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:24 pm 

jazzo wrote:
Any indication from Indicator (ha ha) that an edition of OUR MAN IN HAVANA is coming? I'd really like to not purchase the Twilight Time disc if I can help it.

I have asked a few times but never got a straight answer. I assume either Indicator or MoC will get it though; they'd be silly not to!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:56 pm 

JSC wrote:
So we're saying that 12 Angry Men, The Fugitive Kind, Long Day's Journey into Night,
The Pawnbroker, The Hill, The Offense, Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, Network,
Equus, etc. etc. are somehow poorly photographed? C'mon.
Agreed. What a silly premise. This belongs on Facebook.
What's next, Picasso was bad with colors.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:09 pm 

For sure. Man, he had blue down cold, but give him some other color and you can forget it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next