196 Hiroshima mon amour

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
ryannichols7

Re: 196 Hiroshima mon amour

#26 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:34 pm

hopefully repackaged with Night and Fog included!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#27 Post by swo17 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:43 pm

I'll settle for the transfer being passable.

Max von Mayerling

#28 Post by Max von Mayerling » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:57 pm

Yeah, at this point I'm kind of scared.

Black Hat

#29 Post by Black Hat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:02 pm

Anybody know if what they're screening at MOMA next week is this new restoration?

hearthesilence

#30 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:50 pm

Is this one of their 1:30 screenings in Theater 3? If it is, it's most likely a print from their archive, nothing new. Once in a while, they'll mention it again, but one reason for the ongoing "Auteurist History" screenings is to show what's in their collection - including what needs to be restored. Rarely, if ever, does this include a brand-new print, they usually save those for special screenings like their restoration festival.

Black Hat

#31 Post by Black Hat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:08 pm

Yes 1:30 is exactly what it is.

Oedipax

#32 Post by Oedipax » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:54 am

I saw the restored version at Le Champo in Paris a couple weeks ago and it looks terrific - it certainly added to my appreciation of the film's visuals, having only seen it before on the Criterion DVD. The night sequences in particular are quite stunning - but daytime as well, tons of detail and depth, and an appropriate level of grain.

AndrewBoone

#33 Post by AndrewBoone » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:50 am

This film was interesting. I didn't really know what to make of it. I know it's supposed to be a masterpiece, one of the original films to come out of the French New Wave, but I wasn't really able to discern its message, interpret its themes, or extract its subtext as quickly and effectively as I usually do with films. It's also the only feature-length film I've seen by Resnais (I've seen "Night and Fog"), so it's not like I could immediately identify his style or utilize any prior understanding of his motifs. The opening sequence in itself was a bit puzzling for me. This one is definitely going to require a second viewing for me. Then maybe I'll be able to better make up my mind as to how I feel about this film.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#34 Post by swo17 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:23 am

AndrewBoone wrote:I wasn't really able to discern its message, interpret its themes, or extract its subtext as quickly and effectively as I usually do with films.
It's a thematically rich film, though I didn't get this with my first viewing either. Mainly, it examines how we process tragedy when removed from it, either by time or distance, and parallels this with the disintegration of a romantic relationship. Cameron's Titanic covers similar ground, only without anything approaching this film's depth or artistry. I'd recommend watching it again with the Cowie commentary--I remember that helped me appreciate the film a lot more.

matrixschmatrix

#35 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Related, it also deals with the construction of identity, particularly in the wake of tragedy, and the acceptance that in constructing a new self one is essentially allowing the self that experienced the tragedy to die- it suggests the horror for even the survivors of something truly terrible, and the incredible pain of moving on from it- which, to me, is the relationship between the relationship material and the atrocity footage in the beginning.

AndrewBoone

#36 Post by AndrewBoone » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:24 am

matrixschmatrix wrote:Related, it also deals with the construction of identity, particularly in the wake of tragedy, and the acceptance that in constructing a new self one is essentially allowing the self that experienced the tragedy to die- it suggests the horror for even the survivors of something truly terrible, and the incredible pain of moving on from it- which, to me, is the relationship between the relationship material and the atrocity footage in the beginning.
Good response. Thanks. Yeah I definitely picked up on some identity themes, amongst others, but I just couldn't really explore them in my mind within the context of the film. I was able to find connections between the Hiroshima/war aspects of the film and the surface level of the plot (the relationship between the primary characters), but most of them were transient and thin to begin with, and I never really came up with anything really sound that permanently joined the two in my mind, and I don't think I will until I watch it again. Hopefully your ideas will help me do so. The process of surviving pain, whether it's the suffering and horror of war or the emotional devastation of being separated from someone with whom you've developed a strong emotional link, and then moving on. Sounds like a good perspective to me. I'll keep it in mind when I re-watch.

Numero Trois

#37 Post by Numero Trois » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:04 am

AndrewBoone wrote: but I wasn't really able to discern its message, interpret its themes, or extract its subtext as quickly and effectively as I usually do with films. ... This one is definitely going to require a second viewing for me.
And a third and a fourth viewing. And then once more with just the music. As Peter Cowie stated in the commentary. This is one of those films that's unimaginable to take in with a single viewing. Maybe a few people are able to do it that way, but not the rest of us.

Orlac

#38 Post by Orlac » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:37 pm

Does Criterion still have the rights for this one?

Gregory

#39 Post by Gregory » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:42 pm

Yes.

Orlac

#40 Post by Orlac » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:40 pm

Good :)

tavernier

#42 Post by tavernier » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:01 pm

U.S. Premiere of 4K restoration takes place during the New York Film Festival, followed by theatrical run at the Film Society beginning October 17

Kirkinson

#44 Post by Kirkinson » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:09 pm

The AVClub's "Watch This" feature must have pretty strict limitations on length. There's no doubting Resnais was influenced by comics to some extent, and I'd love to see a more lengthy and in-depth analysis of how that influence may or may not show itself in Hiroshima, mon amour, but as written, that article really just barely begins to float the idea. It reads like the introduction to a much more expansive piece.

FerdinandGriffon

#45 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:14 pm

There's an excellent piece in the new Cinema Scope on Resnais' relationship with comics, though it doesn't go into too much depth on Hiroshima, mon amour, focusing mostly on the later films and various unrealized projects. It also reveals that Resnais storyboarded using action figures!

Numero Trois

#46 Post by Numero Trois » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:15 am

Kirkinson wrote:It reads like the introduction to a much more expansive piece.
Yes. But I seriously doubt more space would help him get out of the corner he painted himself into. Not with statements like:
Ignatiy Vishnevetsky wrote:The emotional depth it manages to create from the juxtaposition of these images suggests another word: graphic novel.
Such an impossibly broad statement. I could see where he's coming from if he was merely talking about shifts in depiction of time. But "emotional depth?" Maybe something like Red Colored Elegy.

rrenault

#47 Post by rrenault » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:54 am

Why is Resnais out of fashion at the moment? He appears to be perpetually placed on the second rung of great directors below the likes of Bresson and Godard, which is odd considering he made just as profound an impact on modern cinema as Godard did with Breathless. Is his "high modernism" a tad too chic for the postmodern zeitgeist to embrace? The "high modernism" of Resnais and Antonioni appears far more divisive these days than the reflexiveness and dialectics of Godard or the 'simplicity' of Bresson. Sure, Hiroshima, Mon Amour may be getting a revival, but the preferences of Criterion and Film Forum generally don't correspond to those of Manny Farber and media studies professors.

hearthesilence

#48 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:46 am

Unconvincing is an understatement. In terms of a real argument, he gives absolutely nothing in terms of how comics aesthetically shaped that particular film except in the broadest and thinnest, most generic terms.

Numero Trois

#49 Post by Numero Trois » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:01 pm

rrenault wrote:Why is Resnais out of fashion at the moment?
Who do you think considers him out of fashion? Maybe they're judging him by his career as a whole, which seems to amount to one especially transcendent film accompanied by many good to excellent ones. Not that it would be a knock on him in any way.

FerdinandGriffon

#50 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:22 pm

What's the one especially transcendent film? Night and Fog?
Tout la memoire du monde?
Hiroshima mon amour?
Last Year at Marienbad?
Muriel?
Je t'aime je t'aime?
Providence?
Mon oncle d'Amérique?
Mélo?
Coeurs?
Wild Grass?

I think it's fair to say Resnais is out of fashion, though perhaps fruitless to speculate as to why. Happily, he remains a strong influence on some of the most exciting directors working today, from Piñeiro to Hong.