1187 One False Move

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

1187 One False Move

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:40 am

One False Move

A small-town police chief (Bill Paxton) concealing an explosive secret. A pair of ruthless drug dealers (coscreenwriter Billy Bob Thornton and Michael Beach) who leave a bloody trail in their wake as they make their way from Los Angeles to Arkansas. And an enigmatic woman (Cynda Williams) caught in the middle. The way these desperate lives converge becomes a masterclass in slow-burn tension thanks to the nuanced direction of Carl Franklin, whose haunting debut feature travels a crooked road across America’s most fraught divisions—urban and rural, Black and white—while imbuing noir conventions with a wrenching emotional depth.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED 4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
  • New 4K digital restoration, approved by director Carl Franklin, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
  • In the 4K UHD edition: One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
  • Audio commentary from 1999 featuring Franklin
  • New conversation between Franklin and cowriter-actor Billy Bob Thornton
  • Trailer
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    PLUS: An essay by author William Boyle

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 1187 One False Move

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:36 pm

Well, now we know why Kino Lorber’s release was cancelled

Finch

#3 Post by Finch » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:58 pm

Would have been cool to hear from Williams, too. Criterion's releases have felt a bit barebones this year in terms of bonus material but that may be down to economics and cast/crew availability too.

ryannichols7

#4 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:14 pm

certainly having the film in top quality is always the biggest priority, but all that hype and demand for this title for a whopping one new extra is really something. it's one thing for KLSC to charge their prices for little extras, but this is another one for the argument that Criterion charging these "premiums" for editions is pretty silly. even at half off, you can get most other labels' extras stacked releases for similar prices. I can understand something like Petit Maman having little extras, but this seems to be a pretty in demand title - I saw a lot of people requesting it over the last few months. Criterion is really enjoying the "new conversation between ______" extra over the last few years - it's a lot of reminiscing and laughing and while they're all fairly charming, they're often either the only new extra or something close, and are generally insubstantial overall. but it seems nothing is changing on this front for the time being...

colinr0380

#5 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:20 pm

Great news! Although anyone who has not seen this film before should be forewarned that the opening sequence contains arguably one of the most upsetting depictions of brutal murder in all of 90s cinema (more than anything Tarantino was involved in, because the fear of the victims as they realise they are about to be killed feels so real, messy and in no way 'cool'), and feels intentionally so to contrast so strongly against and cast a dark and lingering shadow across the rest of the film, only emphasising that urban callousness coming to lay low in a rather sweet and unassuming welcoming small town as embodied by the characters. That is perhaps why Bill Paxton's character is so welcome, indeed necessary, as the rather naive and sweet (at least at first!) police counterbalance to the criminals.

(I do wonder if anyone has made any connection of One False Move to the contemporaneous Twin Peaks series, which is also about these bigger forces clashing together in a 'fight for the soul' of a young woman and the surrounding townsfolk in general beset by encroaching forces of darkness threatening to overwhelm them all)

Finch

#6 Post by Finch » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:00 pm

To ryan's point, a Kino UHD would have been $17.99 in the next sale post-release with the same features while we'll be paying Criterion $25 at their 50% sale. Quite an increase by comparison for the wacky C on the cover.

But I'm going to stop bitching now because for me, it's a relief to have the film as a standalone release, let alone in 4k, at all. I was dreading having to shell out for the Imprint box with a bunch of other films I didn't want. That said, I'll definitely wait until the sale just in case Indicator got the UK license.

yoloswegmaster

#7 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:13 pm

Indicator didn't do much with their release for Devil in a Blue Dress, so not sure why anyone would be expecting them to do anything differently here. You can also just looks at the extras for both releases of 'Devil' and this and come to a reasonable conclusion that Carl Franklin just doesn't care for scholarly extras.

Also, KL was only going to release this on Blu, so thank god Criterion did the right thing by releasing it on 4K.

therewillbeblus

#8 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:18 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:20 pm
(I do wonder if anyone has made any connection of One False Move to the contemporaneous Twin Peaks series, which is also about these bigger forces clashing together in a 'fight for the soul' of a young woman and the surrounding townsfolk in general beset by encroaching forces of darkness threatening to overwhelm them all)
It's a reaching connection obviously, but to entertain it, this would be a 'realist' version of Lynch's surreal world, down to Paxton's fish-out-of-water cop not fitting in and being mocked within his social context, whereas Cooper' eccentricities are celebrated and followed with curious open-mindedness, and he finds a way to fit into basically every context he encounters

dwk

#9 Post by dwk » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:48 pm

Finch wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:58 pm
Would have been cool to hear from Williams, too. Criterion's releases have felt a bit barebones this year in terms of bonus material but that may be down to economics and cast/crew availability too.
I don't know if this is still the case, but at one time, as part of licensing titles from Sony, the rights to any special features you create would belong to Sony. So it makes sense that they would only create one or two new things and load the rest up with archival stuff (which seems to be how Criterion has handled most of their Sony licensed titles.)

Finch

#10 Post by Finch » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:30 pm

Interesting re licensing rights! Thanks for that dwk.

I didn't remember how many extras the Devil in a Blue Dress disc had so I am not sure the tone in that post was warranted. Indicator often stack their releases so I don't think it unreasonable to suppose that if they had OFM they might do more than Criterion but if the above situation with Sony applies and Franklin wants his films to speak for themselves then that's that.

PfR73

#11 Post by PfR73 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:13 pm

Imprint's release had a 2nd commentary with filmmakers Shaka King and Brandon Harris [Judas and the Black Messiah], new interviews with actors Michael Beach & Cynda Williams and editor Carole Kravetz Aykanian, and a new video essay.

DimitriL

#12 Post by DimitriL » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:11 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Great news! Although anyone who has not seen this film before should be forewarned that the opening sequence contains arguably one of the most upsetting depictions of brutal murder in all of 90s cinema (more than anything Tarantino was involved in, because the fear of the victims as they realise they are about to be killed feels so real, messy and in no way 'cool'), and feels intentionally so to contrast so strongly against and cast a dark and lingering shadow across the rest of the film, only emphasising that urban callousness coming to lay low in a rather sweet and unassuming welcoming small town as embodied by the characters. That is perhaps why Bill Paxton's character is so welcome, indeed necessary, as the rather naive and sweet (at least at first!) police counterbalance to the criminals.
This is absolutely bang-on. It’s a brilliant film, but I have to admit I still feel a little (appropriately) haunted by the murder depiction in the beginning. It’s one of the cinematic deaths that’s never gone away from me. (The other is Private Mellish’s slow death in Saving Private Ryan, for very similar reasons.)

flyonthewall2983

#13 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:25 pm

That scene is really all I remember from watching this several years ago. My impression as it ended was that I didn’t see what the fuss was all about.

colinr0380

#14 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:33 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:18 pm
colinr0380 wrote:
It's a reaching connection obviously, but to entertain it, this would be a 'realist' version of Lynch's surreal world, down to Paxton's fish-out-of-water cop not fitting in and being mocked within his social context, whereas Cooper' eccentricities are celebrated and followed with curious open-mindedness, and he finds a way to fit into basically every context he encounters
My other "reaching connection" about this film is that this is kind of Last House On The Left except if the hick policemen were actually portrayed as being somewhat competent (and complicated) rather than just played entirely for laughs as broad comic stooges! :wink:

criterionsnob

#15 Post by criterionsnob » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:32 pm

Finch

#16 Post by Finch » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:55 pm

Such a tremendous film that I loved revisiting. The opening home invasion scenes still hit hard but what also comes through is the compassion for people. It reminds me of Jean Renoir in that respect. It doesn't judge. I like how the movie registers the LA cops' quiet amusement at Hurricane's excitement and enthusiasm, his constant cutting in, but it doesn't encourage them or the audience to laugh at the man, or at the other citizens of Star City. There is a great character moment where Hurricane catches the two visiting detectives chuckling at the idea that he might join them in the big city and the waitress unintentionally makes them aware of his presence, and they feel ashamed for having mocked his ambitions. Earlier on, McFeely took Hurricane's casual racism in his stride and the movie doesn't shy away from Hurricane's or Lila's own darkness.

I love the location shooting. The world of the movie feels lived in and real. The highway scene is incredibly tense and I love how Franklin opts to shoot the scene's concluding image from across the road. It is a beautiful shot but it doesn't glamorise the violence. Every death in this movie matters, is given emotional weight. And the pacing is exemplary. Not an ounce of fat on this movie. Any other filmmaker would have extended the ending but Franklin fades to black just at the right moment.

If this release disappoints at all, it's the scarcity of extras. We get the audio commentary which Kino would have included as well, and a really good essay by William Boyle plus a decent conversation with Franklin and Thornton, but I can't help feeling disappointed at there not being more reminiscences from the surviving cast. Criterion's RRP could/should have been a tad more competitive.

Fun bit of trivia: while watching the end credits, I spotted Frank Silva as the property master! I love the thought that either before or after Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me, he also got to work on another great film released in 1992.

therewillbeblus

#17 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:00 pm

Finch wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:55 pm
Any other filmmaker would have extended the ending but Franklin fades to black just at the right moment.
I appreciate this one the more I watch it too, and the ending is partially why - what a wonderful moment that refuses to engage the audience in any kind of artificial catharsis or smooth reprieve from the messiness of life. That hasn't been granted once yet during the movie, and there's no reason to start then, but I feel there has to be a concentrated determination to avoid falling into such a trap. These are lived-in characters, all flawed and not playing to the beats of a traditional crime drama. I still don't adore the film, but I like it very much, and I respect it even more - and every time I return to it because of that respect, both my enjoyment and admiration only build. even if the respect is higher than the other viewing pleasures I look for (especially in this kind of 'genre)

Finch

#18 Post by Finch » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:13 pm

I did not realize until now that the Australian BD actually has all the additional things I wanted from the Criterion for supplements and it even throws in an audio commentary from Walter Chaw. Just a shame it's only available as part of a boxset.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#19 Post by domino harvey » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:30 pm

Finch wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:13 pm
I did not realize until now that the Australian BD actually has all the additional things I wanted from the Criterion for supplements and it even throws in an audio commentary from Walter Chaw. Just a shame it's only available as part of a boxset.
Imprint has broken up other Noir box sets into individual releases, they may do the same here as well

Finch

#20 Post by Finch » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:10 pm

Thanks, dom! If they do, I'll get that one to complement the 4K.

PfR73

#21 Post by PfR73 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:16 am

Finch wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:13 pm
I have the Imprint BD, it does not have a Walter Chaw commentary; he did do some writing for the box set booklet. I posted about the supplements upthread:
PfR73 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:13 pm
Imprint's release had a 2nd commentary with filmmakers Shaka King and Brandon Harris [Judas and the Black Messiah], new interviews with actors Michael Beach & Cynda Williams and editor Carole Kravetz Aykanian, and a new video essay.
The first commentary on that release is the one by Carl Franklin.

Blip Martindale

#22 Post by Blip Martindale » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:10 pm

And be aware the Imprint video quality is total horseshit next to the Criterion BD, to say nothing of the UHD.

Finch

#23 Post by Finch » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:23 pm

If they even release it separately, I'd only get it for the bonus features and at a sale price. I don't mean to get rid of the Criterion dual format.