275 Tout va Bien

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Narshty

275 Tout va Bien

#1 Post by Narshty » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:54 pm

Tout va Bien

In 1972, newly radicalized Hollywood star Jane Fonda joined forces with cinematic innovator Jean-Luc Godard and collaborator Jean-Pierre Gorin in an unholy artistic alliance that resulted in Tout va bien (Everything's All Right). This free-ranging assault on consumer capitalism and the establishment left tells the story of a wildcat strike at a sausage factory as witnessed by an American reporter (Fonda) and her has-been New Wave film director husband (Yves Montand). The Criterion Collection is proud to present this masterpiece of radical cinema, a caustic critique of society, marriage, and revolution in post-1968 France.

Special Features

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
- Letter to Jane (1972), Jean-Luc Godard and Jean-Pierre Gorin's postscript film to Tout va bien
- 1972 video interview excerpt with Jean-Luc Godard
- New video interview with Jean-Pierre Gorin
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- Plus: A 40-page booklet including essays by film critics J. Hoberman and Kent Jones and Godard biographer Colin MacCabe and an excerpted interview with Gorin and Godard from 1972

Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

Subbuteo

#2 Post by Subbuteo » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:58 pm

Very nice artwork!
But not one of my favourite Godard's

Dylan

#3 Post by Dylan » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:40 pm

Wow! I haven't even heard of this film, and I'm a huge Godard fan.

From the IMDB:

"Jean-Luc Godard dissects the structure of society, movies, love and revolution. He asks compelling questions: Can love survive a relationship? and Can ideology survive revolution? He also looks at the French student riots of the 1960s with a critical eye, and ends up satirizing contemporary views of history. A battery of thoughts complete with criticism of modern society and movies."

Sounds fascinating, and as always, a new Godard DVD is more than welcome. I look forward to this one.

Dylan

denti alligator

#4 Post by denti alligator » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:19 pm

Pretty skimpy extras for a $40 release, no?

Andre Jurieu

#5 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:28 pm

denti alligator wrote:Pretty skimpy extras for a $40 release, no?
I'm willing to accept the price tag since they included Letter to Jane.

BWilson

#6 Post by BWilson » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:32 pm

Yeah, it's really two movies.

I've seen neither, but I've wanted to see Letter To Jane for some time now.

Galen Young

#7 Post by Galen Young » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:29 pm

Too bad Criterion couldn't throw in Haskell Wexler's Introduction to the Enemy (1974) in as an extra along side Letter to Jane. Does anybody know if this film available on video even?

Still, this is a nice surprise for the New Year; I'm really looking forward to this release. (since I've never seen either film!)

zedz

#8 Post by zedz » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:52 pm

Looks like pretty good value to me: double feature plus interviews.

Commentaries are all well and good, but, as we know, not all commentators are born equal, and in many cases I think good background information can be much more informative and helpful, even if it's not feature length. For example, I don't imagine there's much I need to know about the making of Onibaba that isn't covered by Shindo's interview on that disc. (Not that I think "helpful" will necessarily describe Godard in '72!)

Tout Va Bien is an interesting film stylistically (one of Godard's most uncomfortable straddlings of politics and commerce - which is saying something) and it will require quite a bit of context, but a lot of that context (the DVG, Fonda's public persona, May '68 yet again) might be more appropriately delivered in the booklet or the Gorin interview (which might just prove the gem of this set).

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#9 Post by Buttery Jeb » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:25 am

Too bad Criterion couldn't throw in Haskell Wexler's Introduction to the Enemy (1974) in as an extra along side Letter to Jane. Does anybody know if this film available on video even?
According to IMDB, it looks like Jane Fonda owns the rights to this one herself. So we're probably see it as an extra when she decides to put out that Special Edition DVD of "F*ck the Army" (that is, on the far side of never).

GringoTex

#10 Post by GringoTex » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:50 am

There are going to be a lot of pissed-off blind buyers with this one.

Steven H

#11 Post by Steven H » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:14 am

Langlois68 wrote:There are going to be a lot of pissed-off blind buyers with this one.
It's going to be Jubilee all over again. Those who have seen it, any warnings/comments to help those who haven't seen it appreciate it?

evillights

#12 Post by evillights » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:15 am

Langlois68 wrote:There are going to be a lot of pissed-off blind buyers with this one.
Besides 'by Brakhage,' this is the most aesthetically and ideologically radical release in the entire Criterion Collection.

Any viewers unfamiliar with Godard post-'Alphaville' are in for a rude awakening -- and as much as that applies for 'Tout va bien,' it applies almost doubly for 'Letter to Jane.' I'm very, very happy to see some post-'67 Godard finally released by Criterion -- especially something as hard-to-see and aggressive as 'Letter to Jane.' 'Tout va bien' could easily sit on my top 10 of all time.

denti alligator

#13 Post by denti alligator » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:33 am

Wow, tell me more!

Can you describe the style and content of the films in more detail. What's "aggressive" about them/it? What's the ideological angle?

Cinephrenic

#14 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:35 am

Article on Tout va Bien
In a rotting capitalist society, the sensitive bourgeois artist looks at the world and throws up his hands in horror, incomprehension or despair. Sometimes he will turn the pain of meaninglessness into a bitter comedy, black and twisted and gruesome. From Eliot and Kafka to Camus, Beckett and Heller, the pattern is familiar. It was the path followed, until 1968, by ace director Jean-Luc Godard.
Sometime early that year Godard was visited by a militant worker named Jean-Pierre Gorin. It was no ordinary encounter: as Godard puts it, Gorin 'knocked on my door and on my head at the same time.' Godard, most brilliant of the New Wave film-makers, had just climaxed his career in the commercial cinema with the sulphurous fire of Weekend, that incredible nihilistic vision in which the horrors of the middle class are evoked only to be surpassed by those of a band of revolutionary hippies turned cannibalistic. For Godard it seemed there could be no place else to go: an artist's cynicism about the world inevitably turns in also upon his art. Behind the despair of Weekend lay the simple ideological assumption: that the world cannot be changed.

Skepticism about political action permeated all of Godard's work: as early as 1960, in his second film Le Petit Soldat, it had led him to picture the Algerian conflict in terms not of national liberation but of the torture practised 'equally' by right and left. The same assumption underpinned much else in Godard's cinema: the persistent pessimism, the fragmentation of narrative whereby the city becomes a mosaic of forces oppressing the individual, the recurrent obsession with the inability to communicate, the ever more desperate search for values and meaning.

It was probably Gorin who brought Godard to see the class bias of this attitude, to perceive that he was under the spell of a world-view which interpreted the historically contingent as the metaphysically immutable. Godard, who could not bring himself to believe in the possibility of change, found himself face to face with a man who predicated his life on this possibility. Following Gorin's arguments, the May-June 1968 student and workers' revolts in France impelled Godard to break with his past. From this point on, for four years, he rejected the commercial cinema in favour of militant films made in 16mm. Most of these he co-directed with Gorin, under the collective banner of the Dziga-Vertov Group (named after the neglected Soviet film-maker and theoretician). Their search was for a new means of expression, a revolutionary film aesthetic which would picture the world in non-bourgeois imagery.

As an implicit consequence of this search, the sound track, in the films that followed, was by conventional standards heavily overloaded, wordy and didactic. Thus Le Gai Savoir (1968), consisted of little more than Jean-Pierre Leaud and Juliette Berto sitting in a TV studio spouting Marxist rhetoric; in One Plus One (Sympathy for the Devil, 1968), black militants recite revolutionary texts in a car junkyard. In See You at Mao (British Sounds, 1969) a voice reads from The Communist Manifesto while the camera tracks down a motor assembly line; in Wind From the East (1969) costumed actors proclaim the future course of leftwing cinema while sitting on a grassy slope.

Vladimir and Rosa (1971) marked a substantial change. The didacticism was still there, the voices of Godard and Gorin intoning their dialectial truth, but there was a new lightness of tone, a not-fully-repressed sense of comedy in this guerilla re-enactment of the Chicago Conspiracy Trial. The film, however, becomes enmired in its shifting spheres of reference, to emerge finally without a specific interpretation of any concrete situation.

Tout Va Bien (1972) averts this danger. As Gorin has said, it's 'a film about France between '68 and '72, an historical film. It's a film about history and its power to transform the individual.' What is particularly remarkable about it is its narrative structure. Godard has been interested, not (as his critics thought) in eliminating narrative, but in restructuring it, and the detour into polemical tracts can now be seen as a means of achieving the necessary perspective for this. The film grapples with the difficulty of breaking with one's past, and in so doing addresses itself to a well-meaning, guilty bourgeois audience in a way which makes us feel not more guilty and hence weaker, but as people conditioned by our historical role and yet capable of changing, hence stronger. 'He and she have begun to re-think themselves in historical terms,' the commentary concludes of Montand and Fonda. For Godard the film has an unprecedented honesty and lucidity; for radicals and liberals, for all of us disturbed at the current condition of our society, it is an exciting breakthrough.

-Russell Campbell, Sequence, May 1975.

evillights

#15 Post by evillights » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:05 am

denti alligator wrote:Wow, tell me more!

Can you describe the style and content of the films in more detail. What's "aggressive" about them/it? What's the ideological angle?
I think I posted a long piece on this back before the boards got erased, and when the release was still in the "more-than-merely-speculative" zone. Just found it here in my email.. I think I had Nick Wrigley post this at the time, as I didn't have my account set up yet. Anyway, here you go:

It seems only natural that Criterion would put these two films together in a single release (a single fantastically daring release at that!) as, well, that's the way Criterion have proven themselves to operate. They don't release a single Antoine Doinel film when the whole series will do, nor 'I Am Curious: Yellow' without 'I Am Curious: Blue.' And it's almost certain that their upcoming 'Jour de f�te' will include both the black and white and the color versions of the film. As such, these "sister films" by Godard and Gorin constitute what is almost certainly the most "progressive" release from Criterion since the Brakhage anthology or, indeed, the 'I Am Curious' box. Never mind the coupling of related films -- that Criterion are choosing these films at all (especially before their slated release of the much lighter 'Une femme est une femme' (1961)) is the daring �ber-aspect of this scenario. (Could one even speculate that a Godard+Gorin Dziga-Vertov-Group Films 1969-1971 box might also be a(n even unlikelier) possibility? -- i.e., a box consisting of: 'Un film comme les autres' (1968), 'Pravda' (1968), 'Le Vent d'est' (1969), 'Luttes en Italie' (1969), and 'Vladimir et Rosa' (1971).)

For those of you unfamiliar with 'Tout va bien' ['Everything's Going Fine'] (1972) and 'Lettre � Jane' (also 1972), allow me to paste from my Godard profile at Senses of Cinema [which I'm going to be revising and expanding in the near future, as the original was rather hastily written. -CMK 11/29/04]:

...'Tout va bien' sees star-cum-revolutionary Jane Fonda in the role of a disenchanted American radio reporter stationed in Paris who attempts to reconcile both her occupation and relationship with Yves Montand with Marxist ideology. 'Lettre � Jane,' on the other hand, documents a tag-team analysis, carried out between Godard and Gorin in voice-over, of the notorious photo taken of Fonda commiserating with a group of Communist North Vietnamese. The film brings Fonda's activities and history into relief as, among other things, just another variety of bourgeois dilettantism; the same could be (and has been) argued of 'Lettre � Jane' itself, although the strain of self-questioning that runs through both films signals perhaps a feeling within Godard (if not Gorin) that he had arrived at an ideological impasse, whereby the practice of �revolutionary� filmmaking itself might also be perceived as a form of opportunism.

And so Godard's �retreat� from film. [...]

That only scratches the briefest of surfaces in regard to both films, of course. 'Letter to Jane' continues to be hugely controversial due to the fact that the two filmmakers essentially wrapped shooting on one film, then went forth directly thereafter with the unprecedented action of making another picture whose central focus is an out-and-out lambasting of the star of their just-finished feature. Whether the attack is fair or savage is up for debate, but what's certain is that Godard and Gorin, at the height of their Marxist vitriol in 1972, felt that Fonda (whose star status and revolutionary interests were exploited for 'Tout va bien') was not above reproach, nor was the image of her with the North Vietnamese above ideological-aesthetic (Marxist-materialist, I suppose?) analysis. (Indeed, 'Letter to Jane' is perhaps Godard's purest meditation of that period on the idea of "the Image" -- rivaled only by his 'Le Gai savoir' (1968), which starred Jean-Pierre L�aud and Juliet Berto [greatest actor and greatest actress in the history of the cinema, respectively -- fact]) In later years, Jean Seberg (no less) would remark that what Godard and Gorin did to Fonda in 'Letter to Jane' was "unforgivable." [from February 3, 2004]

GringoTex

#16 Post by GringoTex » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:04 am

harri wrote:
It's going to be Jubilee all over again. Those who have seen it, any warnings/comments to help those who haven't seen it appreciate it?
evillight gives a very good overview. I would just add that it helps a lot to be very familiar with most of Godard's work. Context is everything in this film. The casual viewer enjoys Godard's earlier work because of its intense romanticism and his later work because of its poetic melancholia. This isn't one of those films.

cafeman

#17 Post by cafeman » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:00 pm

Those who have seen it, just tell me if it`s in the vein of Notre Musique, so that I can skip it.

Steven H

#18 Post by Steven H » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:16 pm

Thanks Craig and Langlois... I'm really looking forward to it. I've so far loved Weekend, Contempt, and My Life To Live from Godard, and am looking forward to something even more chaotic/anarchic and critical. Easily a blind buy.

colinr0380

#19 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:19 pm

This sounds excellent - this is the fantasy one with Jane Fonda stripping over the opening titles right? :wink:

Seriously though, I'm really looking forward to this one.

GringoTex

#20 Post by GringoTex » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:17 pm

I'm looking forward to the interviews. Godard/Gorin during Dziga Vertov had to be the most obnoxious duo in cinema history. They were like the Three Stooges without the attempts at humor.

vertovfan

#21 Post by vertovfan » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:24 pm

No Jane Fonda stripping, though there is a scene with her holding a picture of a penis in a woman's hand!

evillights

#22 Post by evillights » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:35 pm

Langlois68 wrote:I'm looking forward to the interviews. Godard/Gorin during Dziga Vertov had to be the most obnoxious duo in cinema history. They were like the Three Stooges without the attempts at humor.
Obnoxious, yes, but humorless -- no. And what of their obnoxiousness? That in and of itself was part of their schtick, a piece of the persona of their "duo'ness." Taken with a grain of salt (which is what many elements of their films of that era require), I find them quite amusing -- like a satanic Laurel and Hardy. You should see 'Vladimir and Rosa,' which is one of the greatest, most acid and anarchic works of comedy in screen history. -Way- too much emphasis is placed on the "politics" of these films, and the "success" of their arguments, rather than on the shape of their rhetoric, and (yes) their ability to exude real cinematic pleasure. If I had read Colin MacCabe's analysis of 'British Sounds' and nothing else, I would never want to see it.

Same with that long 1975 article that was posted earlier about the Dziga-Vertov-Group films. It makes each of the films sound like one single, dour long take. Which is absolutely not the case. Such nonsense is what I call the "received-wisdom file" on Godard.

GringoTex

#23 Post by GringoTex » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:30 pm

evillights wrote:Obnoxious, yes, but humorless -- no. And what of their obnoxiousness?
Oh they were funny, alright - but mostly unintentionally so (and I'm talking about the interviews they gave- not their films, which as you correctly point out, had inspired moments of humor).

evillights

#24 Post by evillights » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:45 pm

Langlois68 wrote:Oh they were funny, alright - but mostly unintentionally so (and I'm talking about the interviews they gave- not their films, which as you correctly point out, had inspired moments of humor).
I don't know about that. The film of their ad-hoc press conference in New York, while looking for funds for 'Jusqu'� la victoire' in 1971 or '72, has a few great moments. Like the one reporter asking Godard if he's seen 'Zabriskie Point' yet and what he thinks of it, and Godard's faux-baffled expression and response: "I don't know. What do you zeenk of eet? I don't have an opeenion. It eez like: 'What do you zeenk of zeese ashtray?' " Rude and obnoxious perhaps, but I'm still removed enough from the question-asker to find the response amusing.

And as someone who was at their New York press screening of 'Tout va bien' told me, at the Q&A afterward, legendary prick John Simon asked the French and Franco-Swiss pricks, "Has it occurred to either of you that these things you see don't exist outside of your own sick minds?"

The Fanciful Norwegian

#25 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:35 am

FYI, Home Vision is listing this at $29.95. Clarification is obviously required.

Continuing the discussion, UC Berkeley has a lengthy 1970 interview with Godard and Gorin available at their website. Unfortunately it's not in text format -- just a bunch of very large and unwieldly GIF scans, complete with proofreading marks -- but it seems to be a pretty fair representation of what Godard was like at this point. And yes, there is some funny (well, funny-ish) stuff in there.

Q. "I wanted to ask you, do you feel that the whole ecology issue is unfair competition?"

A. "As a French militant, I'm for the pollution of American air."