281 Jules and Jim

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
The Elegant Dandy Fop

#26 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:27 pm

On Criterion's site, they moved this to May.

Narshty

#27 Post by Narshty » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:27 pm

It's now been shafted to the arse end of May.

swingo

#28 Post by swingo » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:23 am

Maybe because it was an 'expensive' and hard for our pockets month of March already...

Axel.

Derek Estes

#29 Post by Derek Estes » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:25 pm

Dear Derek,

No break-ins or destroyed artwork. Just an assortment of internal delays.

Thanks for your patience,
JM

4LOM

#30 Post by 4LOM » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:41 am

According to the Home Vision Entertainment site "Jules et Jim" will be out on 05/31/05.

godardslave

#31 Post by godardslave » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:31 pm

bummer. :(

Dylan

#32 Post by Dylan » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:45 pm

Those commentaries sound great! The Truffaut biography by Serge Toubiana is truly a wonderful read, so his commentary (especially with Moreau) should be especially interesting. Not to mention all of those vintage interviews/excerpts. Very much looking forward to this.

Dylan

What A Disgrace

#33 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue May 17, 2005 6:54 pm

J
Criterion Casanova

#34 Post by J » Thu May 19, 2005 11:24 pm

daniel p

#35 Post by daniel p » Thu May 19, 2005 11:35 pm

Double Slim Keep Case again... I love those thick double cases, it goes against the collection to stop using them now.

oldsheperd

#36 Post by oldsheperd » Tue May 31, 2005 12:06 pm

I got this on Friday. I can't say that I'm a big fan of Truffaut and I wasn't too excited about this release. I ended up watching it twice this weekend. It's probably now one of my favorite movies. I can especially relate to the characters being involved in a few situations where a triangle forms between two men and a woman. You want to be with her because of everything she does for you, but your ideals of her are destroyed when you try to get with her.

analoguezombie

#37 Post by analoguezombie » Tue May 31, 2005 9:24 pm

oldsheperd wrote:I got this on Friday. I can't say that I'm a big fan of Truffaut and I wasn't too excited about this release. I ended up watching it twice this weekend. It's probably now one of my favorite movies. I can especially relate to the characters being involved in a few situations where a triangle forms between two men and a woman. You want to be with her because of everything she does for you, but your ideals of her are destroyed when you try to get with her.
sounds like someone has has issues to work out. :roll:

jorencain

#38 Post by jorencain » Tue May 31, 2005 9:35 pm

I just watched this and completely loved it. The only other Truffaut that I've seen are the Antoine Doinel films, but this one is so much more enjoyable for me than any of those (even "The 400 Blows"). The fast-paced storytelling keeps the viewer so involved with the development of their relationships that we're completely swept up in the action and emotions of these characters. I loved it.

Anyone else notice that Steve Zissou's "Not this one, Klaus," is eerily similar to "Not this one, Jim" (which is repeated several times in "Jules and Jim")?

lachenay

#39 Post by lachenay » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:32 pm

jorencain wrote:Anyone else notice that Steve Zissou's "Not this one, Klaus," is eerily similar to "Not this one, Jim" (which is repeated several times in "Jules and Jim")?
Why "eerily similar"? Good ol' Wes is just lovingly quoting a line from one of his favourite movies!

duane hall

#40 Post by duane hall » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:00 pm

i also concur, Jules and Jim is easily my favorite Truffaut that i've seen. i wasn't as emotionally involved in the 400 Blows and Shoot the Piano Player as i'd expected to be. (although, after additional viewings i developed a deep admiration for the former.) and though Day for Night was a lot of fun the first time, on my second viewing i found it annoyingly whimsical.

as for Wes, as some of you may have read, Day for Night was an admitted major influence on the Life Aquatic. so Wes definitely had Truffaut on the brain while making that film.

GringoTex

#41 Post by GringoTex » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:49 pm

The 25-minute discussion of the film between Robert Stam and Dudley Andrew is very well done. I like the give and take between the two and the use of clips and stills from the film to illustrate their points. I prefer this kind of extra to a single commentator droning on for the length of the movie and I hope Criterion tries this more in the future.

All the extras material on the DVD that deals with Two English Girls made me think how great it would have been to include that film in the package. The reputation of Truffaut's later films need a serious rehabilitation. He made some real turkeys (Such a Georgeous Kid Like Me, The Man Who Loved Women, Love on the Run, The Last Metro), but I actually prefer Two English Girls to Jules and Jim, and think The Story of Adele H., The Green Room, and The Woman Next Door are as good as anything he did in the 1960s.

ellipsis7

#42 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:05 pm

Excellent release... Lovely print... Formidable extras...

I see MK2 are releasing again in October a dozen or so Truffaut in new limited SEs, all with Eng subs... Whether to go for their SHOOT THE PIANO PLAYER or wait for the CC edn? Decisions, decisions...

Adding after a night's thought -

It seems to me that Truffaut did damage to his filmmaking by his preoccupation with Hitchcock, which intensified after JULES AND JIM, when he embarked on the series of interviews with the English director which made up his 1967 'Hitchbook'... The Hitchcock influence made Truffaut much more self conscious and calculating, a detrimental effect evident first in LA PEAU DOUCE (1964), and clearly present in the middle and later films in the Antoine Doinel series etc...

However with 400 BLOWS, SHOOT THE PIANO PLAYER and JULES AND JIM Truffaut made 3 really great and deftly realised films - fresh, intelligent, original, exciting, and invigorating...

Jean-Luc Garbo

#43 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:10 pm

I'd love to see The Green Room, but I can't vouch for Adele H's greatness. Adjani is a vision and Almendros' cinematography is priceless, but it's not all that involving for me considering how ill-defined AH's madness is. I've seen it twice and like it to a degree, but the ending voice-over is so ludicrous. However, a good study of Truffaut's last decade would be greatly appreciated.

Stig Helmer

#44 Post by Stig Helmer » Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:09 pm

Out of sync problems in "Jules et Jim"?

When i saw the film last week I noticed that the sound was sometimes out of sync during the movie...I thougth the fault was caused by my dvdplayer - and therefore I didn't think any further of it. But a friend of mine now confirmes that her copy of "Jules et Jim" has excatly the same problem: out of sync. Has anyone else noticed this?

Doctor Sunshine

#45 Post by Doctor Sunshine » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:14 pm

I think that's just the dubbing. Technical perfection was never really Truffaut's thing.

Derek Estes

#46 Post by Derek Estes » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:07 pm

I think the Doctor is correct. I haven't noticed anything unusual myself.

Stig Helmer

#47 Post by Stig Helmer » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:19 am

Derek Estes wrote:I think the Doctor is correct. I haven't noticed anything unusual myself.
Ok, nothing to worry about then.... :D Now i will go watch the movie again... 8-)

dspector

#48 Post by dspector » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:01 am

Has anyone noticed that many of the night scenes, as the film progresses, betray severe flutter/flucruating light values. This was also the case with one night scene in the Criterion L'eclisse, and comments in the Forum on that film indicated it was as good a restoration as could be done for a damaged source. Has anyone encountered this also in Jules and Jim?

Napoleon

#49 Post by Napoleon » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:09 am

Has anyone noticed that many of the night scenes, as the film progresses, betray severe flutter/flucruating light values.
Yes, a little bit. I only noticed it once, quite early on.

I was always under the impression that this was amongst the most well-known and respected (French) films and yet its appearance as a top class release has not been met with much of a fanfare.
Not many reviews (nothing on dvdTalk or any of the other mainstream sites), not much activity on the thread for it here.

Is its reputation in the US not what it is here in the UK?
Or is this because the previous release was satisfactory enough to make the cc release redundant?
Or have I been living in a parallel reality for the past few decades?

Andre Jurieu

#50 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:32 am

N. Wilson wrote: I was always under the impression that this was amongst the most well-known and respected (French) films and yet its appearance as a top class release has not been met with much of a fanfare. Not many reviews (nothing on dvdTalk or any of the other mainstream sites), not much activity on the thread for it here.

Is its reputation in the US not what it is here in the UK?
I've noticed it has recently fallen out of favor within North American critical circles. Most believe its sexual politics are out of date and that they no longer see the appeal of the film that was so celebrated during its initial release. They don't even find it to be that innovative or unique. Then there are also those that simply must make it known to us that they find some other Truffaut film to be far superior, while Jules and Jim is merely "overrated" and trite.

Now before you go and shoot the messenger, I'll say that I rather enjoy the film, but I do like Shoot the Piano Player a bit more for its playful spirit.