281 Jules and Jim

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Martha

281 Jules and Jim

#1 Post by Martha » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:10 pm

Jules and Jim

Hailed as one of the finest films ever made, legendary director François Truffaut's early masterpiece Jules and Jim charts the relationship between two friends and the object of their mutual obsession over the course of twenty-five years. Jeanne Moreau stars as Catherine, the alluring and willful young woman whose enigmatic smile and passionate nature lure Jules (Oskar Werner) and Jim (Henri Serre) into one of cinema's most captivating romantic triangles. An exuberant and poignant meditation on freedom, loyalty, and the fortitude of love, Jules and Jim was a worldwide smash upon its release in 1962 and remains as audacious and entrancing today.

Special Features

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES:

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director of photography Raoul Coutard
- Two audio commentaries: one featuring co-writer Jean Gruault, Truffaut collaborator Suzanne Schiffman, editor Claudine Bouché, and Truffaut scholar Annette Insdorf; the other featuring legendary actress Jeanne Moreau and Truffaut biographer Serge Toubiana
- Excerpts from The Key to Jules and Jim (1985), a documentary on author Henri-Pierre Roché and the true stories on which the novel and film are based
- Truffaut on Roché, from the French program Bibliothèque de poche (1966)
- New video interview with Coutard
- Video interview with Gruault
- New video conversation between scholars Robert Stam and Dudley Andrew
- Excerpts from a 1965 episode of the French television program Cinéastes de notre temps dedicated to François Truffaut
- Segment from the French program L'Invité du Dimanche (1969), featuring Truffaut, Moreau, and Jean Renoir
- Excerpts from Truffaut's first appearance on American television, a 1977 interview with New York Film Festival director Richard Roud Excerpts from a 1979 American Film Institute Dialogue on Film given by Truffaut
- Archival audio interview of Truffaut by Claude-Jean Philippe (1980)
- Theatrical trailer
- New and improved English subtitle translation

DVD:
Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled
Dual-Format Edition
Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled
Last edited by Martha on Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lemdog
The Man with no Title

#2 Post by Lemdog » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:11 pm

one of the finest films ever made
You better believe it. Finally, I've been waiting for this for years.

ellipsis7

#3 Post by ellipsis7 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:41 pm

I'm in 2 minds about whether to pick this up... I used to be much more into Truffaut, but I've generally cooled of late, EXCEPT for 400 BLOWS & TIREZ LE PIANISTE which are totally wonderful! JULES ET JIM is somewhere in between - I'll take another look at it on VHS, before I make the call...

Jeff

#4 Post by Jeff » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:57 pm

This is the first time that the Wellspring deal has born fruit since September 2003.

Les Rohmers, s'il vous plaît.

peerpee
not perpee

#5 Post by peerpee » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:17 pm

good point, Jeff. I've been wondering what's going on with the Wellspring deal. Some Rohmer would be most superbo.

BWilson

#6 Post by BWilson » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:36 pm

Criterion site says Jules and Jim will be 1.77

Isn't it supposed to be 2.35?

godardslave

#7 Post by godardslave » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:15 pm

probably just a mistake on the website.

By the way, i didnt see this release coming at all, its a bit of a surprise for me, i think i missed the "wellspring deal" information.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#8 Post by Buttery Jeb » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:11 am

Is this still part of the Wellspring deal? The catalog number (which usually consists of the first three letters of the title, followed by an arbitrary three digit number) looks more standard, like a title from either the Janus Films library or the Classic Collection banner. The other Wellspring titles Criterion released have the CC catalog numbers that usually comes from licensing a film from a studio (check "Kagemusha" and "My Own Private Idaho" for examples).

God, that sounds anal retentive, even for me.

Anyway, maybe the Truffaut films have reverted back to Janus? With the time that's passed since we last saw a Wellspring title pop out, the possibility exists. Anybody want to ask JM?

-BJ

Fellini-Hexed

#9 Post by Fellini-Hexed » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:43 pm

I used to be much more into Truffaut, but I've generally cooled of late, EXCEPT for 400 BLOWS & TIREZ LE PIANISTE which are totally wonderful! JULES ET JIM is somewhere in between - I'll take another look at it on VHS, before I make the call...
I hear you. I feel exactly the same way. Many of Truffaut's films fall flat, for me, on a second viewing, though Story of Adele H. I found unbearably melodramatic and emotive (and I like that in movies!) on a first viewing.

But this film...mmmmm. Magnificent. I love how it oscillates between high-speed, quick-cut expository story telling in voice-over narration, to longer, extended sequences of interaction and dialogue. And Jeanne Moreau is a screen presence like no other. It's on my list for next year's purchases, absolutely.

Harold Gervais

#10 Post by Harold Gervais » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:52 pm

Great news and here is hoping 2005 brings my favorite Truffaut film, Shoot the Piano Player

ellipsis7

#11 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:25 am

But this film...mmmmm. Magnificent. I love how it oscillates between high-speed, quick-cut expository story telling in voice-over narration, to longer, extended sequences of interaction and dialogue. And Jeanne Moreau is a screen presence like no other. It's on my list for next year's purchases, absolutely.
Yes, I checked it out again on VHS, and am persuaded... I agree with your analysis - the camerawork and editing and the whole 'decoupage' is astounding. It's Truffaut on form, although TIREZ LE PIANISTE is up there on top!

Steven H

#12 Post by Steven H » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:01 pm

HVE's site lists Jules and Jim as having a 2.35:1 aspect ratio (strange that it doesn't show the Coutard video interview as a special feature though).

rwaits

#13 Post by rwaits » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:51 am

Just wondering if anyone could comment on the quality of Fox Lorber's release of Jules and Jim. I own Fox Lorber's 400 Blows which, in my opinion, is a very good dvd---but have also seen their edition of Shoot the Piano Player, which was almost unwatchable. Just wanted to know if anyone could give me a good idea of the image, audio quality of the Fox release??

BWilson

#14 Post by BWilson » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:42 pm

Ted Todorov

#15 Post by Ted Todorov » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:10 pm

Buttery Jeb wrote:Anyway, maybe the Truffaut films have reverted back to Janus? With the time that's passed since we last saw a Wellspring title pop out, the possibility exists. Anybody want to ask JM?
-BJ

That would be good, but considering the already excellent MK2 DVDs of all the Wellspring stuff, my main concern is with The Green Room (MGM??) and Such a Gorgeous Kid Like Me (rights:??????)

lachenay

#16 Post by lachenay » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:59 pm

SUCH A GORGEOUS KID LIKE ME is available from Spain.

It's full screen, but the Spanish subtitles are optional. I have it and am happy with it as long as no other edition is available.

That leaves THE GREEN ROOM as the only Truffaut film not available on DVD. Co-produced at teh time by United Artists, so the rights may well be with MGM.

Ted Todorov

#17 Post by Ted Todorov » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:50 pm

Yes, I have the Spanish DVD of SUCH A GORGEOUS KID LIKE ME -- but I'm an OAR fanatic, so the P&S DVD is really unacceptable to me -- bought it without realizing that it was 4:3 (the box makes no mention of the AR).

Martha

#18 Post by Martha » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:54 pm

If you guys want to start a thread in the DVD section on Truffaut in general, feel free. Meanwhile, please talk Jules and Jim in in this one.

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#19 Post by Caligula » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:36 am

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#20 Post by Buttery Jeb » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:24 pm

According to Amazon.ca, "Jules and Jim" has been pushed back to April 5th.

I kind of figured this was going to happen, along with the Wajda boxset. I guess we'll get confirmation one way or another this week.

-BJ

cdnchris
Site Admin

#21 Post by cdnchris » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:11 am

I don't know if it means it's delayed. Sometimes we don't get the Criterion discs up here until a week or two after the American release date. At least I've noticed this on occasion.

devlinnn

#22 Post by devlinnn » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:44 am

Rumor has it someone broke into the Criterion office and destroyed all the original artwork with petrol and razorblades. Hence the delay. Actually, the cover may look better now.

zedz

#23 Post by zedz » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:52 pm

The Packaging Babble-On thread has been impounded and Matt is helping police with their enquiries.

jesus the mexican boi

#24 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:32 pm

The cover for JULES AND JIM features neither Jules nor Jim. Discuss.

Narshty

#25 Post by Narshty » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:37 pm