429-430 The Fire Within and The Lovers

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Highway 61

#76 Post by Highway 61 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:02 pm

A brilliant French professor of mine assigned me to catch a screening of The Lovers three years ago. I had a hopeless crush on her and desperately wanted to impress her, so I showed up early, sat in the front row and everything, yet I couldn't keep my goddamn eyes open. I straight-up told her I'd fallen asleep, and she said she couldn't blame me. Ended up writing about Zazie dans le metro instead. Great film.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#77 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:17 pm

Highway 61 wrote:Ended up writing about Zazie dans le metro instead. Great film.
An infinitely better film in every respect. Interesting to note that Malle's best films, such as Zazie or My Dinner With Andre, are primarily the cinematic product of their authors. Like the Classical Hollywood workhorse I always associate him with, Malle could turn in excellent work when given the right materials.

tartarlamb

#78 Post by tartarlamb » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:07 pm

I love this movie. My favorite Malle, and a perfect example of how he was able tackle such an incredible diversity of subject matters and employ such a great variety of styles, while still maintaining the same sincere devotion to the material and the same earnest curiosity in almost every film.

But more importantly, does anyone know what kind of glasses Alain wears?

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

Re: 429-430 The Fire Within and The Lovers

#79 Post by ando » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:35 am

Malle admitted that he would have taken a much darker approach to this material had he made the film later - and I can understand that. Moreau's giggling fit (when her husband is referred to as a "big brown bear") is infectious. The" moonlight lit" trist is a highlight but comes too late to save this unbelievably (for Malle) banal melodrama.

allusory

Re: 429-430 The Fire Within and The Lovers

#80 Post by allusory » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:44 am

Could anyone clarify what exactly is being referred to at 1:30, when Marina says to Alain "Once he gets his divorce" and Alain responds "Bravo. That's true love!"

Mr Sausage

The Fire Within (Louis Malle, 1963)

#81 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:29 am

DISCUSSION ENDS MONDAY, April 25th

Members have a two week period in which to discuss the film before it's moved to its dedicated thread in The Criterion Collection subforum. Please read the Rules and Procedures.

This thread is not spoiler free. This is a discussion thread; you should expect plot points of the individual films under discussion to be discussed openly. See: spoiler rules.

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

I encourage members to submit questions, either those designed to elicit discussion and point out interesting things to keep an eye on, or just something you want answered. This will be extremely helpful in getting discussion started. Starting is always the hardest part, all the more so if it's unguided. Questions can be submitted to me via PM.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Fire Within (Louis Malle, 1963)

#82 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:57 am

Malle is as frustratingly uneven as ever here. I know this film has its fans here, but I found this overly self-serious and mediocre in even its best passages. The languid pacing of the initial human interaction that opens the film never convinced me Malle knew why he was holding too long in the shot, and nothing that came after made me accept the inner turmoil or outer despair of the protagonist as anything other than phony posturing on the part of the filmmaker-- call it emotional slumming. As empty a film as suicide is a gesture

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Fire Within (Louis Malle, 1963)

#83 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:26 pm

Has the Film Club finally given up and shot itself in the chest?