409 Days of Heaven

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
Jean-Luc Garbo

Re: 409 Days of Heaven

#251 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:23 am

theflicker wrote:I've had problems with the brother/sister matter in the past as well. My most recent viewing was in the company of my brother who is a big Malick fan and asked him about this. He said that he recalls it being a biblical reference. A google search later and I turned up this.
Bill and Abby have fled Chicago with his young sister after he accidentally murders his boss, and decide to tell everyone they are brother and sister to just make things easier. In the Genesis 20 story this references, Abraham likewise claims that beautiful Sarah is his sister, lest the Philistines kill him and take her for themselves.
Actually, Abraham was afraid that an Egyptian (the Pharaoh at the time) not a Philistine would kill him for Sarah. Not sure if that is significant here, but the error in that essay bugged me somewhat.

Dadapass

#252 Post by Dadapass » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:39 pm

The wife presented as sister happens three separate times in Genesis. wiki

Finch

#253 Post by Finch » Mon May 02, 2011 6:16 am

Apparently this 1979 interview has never been translated into English before.

kneelzod

#256 Post by kneelzod » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:46 pm

She was responding to this video tribute to OUT OF THE BLUE.

Rupert Pupkin

#257 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:27 am

Hi folks,

I was wondering what is the official status of "Days Of Heaven" regarding the browning/playback issue ?
Did Criterion has updated is official replacement program list since the first official one which has been posted a couple of years ago now ?

Mind you, "M" and "Walkabout" shows some obvious sudden browning on the surface of the whole layer disk and some playback issues. Criterion kindly sent me some replacement disks for these 2 titles. The replacement blu-ray are "second pressing" as I can read on the lithography of the disk.

We all- many of us - had- since they had bought Days Of Heaven some playback issues. My disk is still playable, but the ring of the disk has some "extended browning" albeit it's not the whole surface like for "Walkabout".

Well, if this is not on the official Criterion replacement list, I think that I still have to wait.

Another existential question : I think that this is a good title (well, I mean, I'm not an expert but they probably sent this title a lot) so perhaps there is now a second pressing (from a different) plant, or did they still sell the stocks from the first pressing ?
If someone has some info about this/and or can share their concerns about the playback issue of the disk and perhaps a browning/bronzing oxydation starting on the ring of the disk, I would appreciated your posts. thanks.

beamish14

#259 Post by beamish14 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:55 pm

I have a question about this film. My father-in-law has attended Cannes on a number of occasions, and according to him, Days of Heaven is directly responsible for
Saint-Saëns's "The Aquarium" being used as entrance music that plays before films that are screening. Is that true?

DarkImbecile
LightGenius

#260 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:41 pm

It wouldn’t be a surprise, considering Malick won the Best Director prize for Days at the 1979 festival.

Speaking of the film, this excellent Film Comment interview from 1978 with Oscar-winning cinematographer Néstor Almendros just became available online today.