397 Ivan's Childhood

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Dylan

397 Ivan's Childhood

#1 Post by Dylan » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:07 am

Ivan's Childhood

The debut feature by the great Andrei Tarkovsky, Ivan’s Childhood is a poetic journey through the shards and shadows of one boy’s war-ravaged youth. Moving back and forth between the traumatic realities of World War II and serene moments of family life before the conflict began, Tarkovsky’s film remains one of the most jarring and unforgettable depictions of the impact of war on children.

Disc Features

- High-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
- Appreciation of filmmaker Andrei Tarkovsky and Ivan’s Childhood featuring Vida T. Johnson, coauthor of The Films of Andrei Tarkovsky: A Visual Fugue
- Interviews with cinematographer Vadim Yusov and actor Nikolai Burlyaev
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Dina Iordanova; “Between Two Films,” Tarkovsky’s essay on Ivan’s Childhood; and “Ivan’s Willow,” a poem by the director’s father, Arseny Tarkovsky

Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

camis1

#2 Post by camis1 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:46 pm

Dylan wrote:I haven't seen this Tarkovsky classic yet ("Ivanovo detstvo" also known as "Ivan's Childhood" and "My Name is Ivan"), but I have heard nothing but great things about it. I would be curious to hear from members of this forum their opinions on this film. Thanks.
Very "Russian" and full of emotional flashbacks!!

ellipsis7

#3 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:53 pm

Very good. Can be obtained in R2 from Artificialeye...

jorencain

#4 Post by jorencain » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:06 pm

It's good, but not the masterpiece that "Andrei Rublev" or any of Tarkovsky's other work is. I would recommend checking it out, but it's the least "Tarkovskian" of his films. I enjoyed it, but it was certainly different than what I expected.

zedz

#5 Post by zedz » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:15 pm

It's a great film, but very much in the vein of other great Soviet films of the 50s and 60s (e.g. The Cranes Are Flying, The Commisar) rather than being full-fledged Tarkovsky. That said, there are early appearance of the director's distinctive motifs, especially in the dream / fantasy sequences (spontaneous flight, for example), and episodes that prefigure more distinctive ones in the later films (Ivan setting out into enemy territory compares with the passage into the Zone in Stalker). Alongside these are a mixture of decent, if conventional, war-movie scenes and sequences unlike anything else in Tarkovsky (the charming, relaxed romantic scenes in the forest, for example).

Kolya Bulyaev (Boriska in Andrey Rublyov) gives a phenomenal central performance (so good that Tarkovsky had to set aside his dislike of the child actor and ask him back for his next film). The final sequence is emotionally devastating: it must be ten years since I last saw the film, but just thinking about it sends shivers down my spine.

miless

397 Ivan's Childhood

#6 Post by miless » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:40 pm

Dear Miles,

Unfortunately we don't have the rights to NOSTALGHIA, but we will be
releasing IVAN'S CHILDHOOD this summer.
Hope that helps.
Thanks for your interest in Criterion.

Best regards,
Kim Hendrickson
looking forward to it... too bad about Nostalghia, however.[/quote]

Greathinker

#7 Post by Greathinker » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:55 pm

Woohoo! Any Tarkovsky criterion news is good news.

Though it sounds like Ivan's Childhood could be all we get this year? I think while they were at it they would have mentioned Rublev if it were in the works.

miless

#8 Post by miless » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:00 pm

Greathinker wrote:Woohoo! Any Tarkovsky criterion news is good news.

Though it sounds like Ivan's Childhood could be all we get this year? I think while they were at it they would have mentioned Rublev if it were in the works.
yeah, I asked about any other Tarkovsky (but specifically Nostalghia and Ivan's Childhood). it's my hope that Criterion will include Tarkovsky's student films with their release of I's C. Because Facet's release of The Steamroller and the Violin leaves much to be desired.

ellipsis7

#9 Post by ellipsis7 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:29 pm

This is good news, although I'd have to be convinced by the extras to go again, already owning the AE version of IVAN'S CHILDHOOD...

What e-mail address could I get to Kim Hendrickson on? - I want to ask her about LA NOTTE, which she said would be coming a while ago in a radio i/v...

blowout

#10 Post by blowout » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:56 pm

ellipsis7 wrote:This is good news, although I'd have to be convinced by the extras to go again, already owning the AE version of IVAN'S CHILDHOOD...
I hope they include "The Steamroller and the Violin" & "There will be no leave today" somewhere.

Sekoya

#11 Post by Sekoya » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:38 pm

Then, who holds the rights to NOSTALGHIA?

mikeohhh

#12 Post by mikeohhh » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:51 pm

Great news! Now how about Shanghai Express?

miless

#13 Post by miless » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:41 pm

Sekoya wrote:Then, who holds the rights to NOSTALGHIA?
maybe Koch Lorber... or Kino.
someone scooped up the rights after the whole Fox Lorber debacle... I was hoping for Criterion... but now all bets are off

blindside8zao

#14 Post by blindside8zao » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:50 pm

ah.. shit... no nostalghia. Whatever happened to Offret, isn't it OOP?

miless

#15 Post by miless » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:55 pm

blindside8zao wrote:ah.. shit... no nostalghia. Whatever happened to Offret, isn't it OOP?
It's still listed as in print from Kino
I really wish that Criterion could wrestle the rights to Offret, Mirror and Stalker away from Kino... but they don't really like to step on each-others toes, it seems.

blindside8zao

#16 Post by blindside8zao » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:22 pm

I think this is the perfect time for criterion to smash their toes.

Greathinker

#17 Post by Greathinker » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:31 pm

More confirmation:

"We will be releasing IVAN'S CHILDHOOD in a few months. You should be able to find it in stores in June or July."

miless

#18 Post by miless » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:36 pm

Greathinker wrote:"We will be releasing IVAN'S CHILDHOOD in a few months. You should be
able to find it in stores in June or July."
this means it will be anounced this (or maybe next) month... I can't wait. Yee-haw!

Jeff

#19 Post by Jeff » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:05 pm

Specs are up in the first post...thanks to Kinjitsu.

HerrSchreck

#20 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:48 am

One fuzzy AEye doing single-duty frisbee-fly into the wastebucket.

As FZ would say, "ZOOT ALLURES"

What a run CC are on. Mercy mercy me.

Ashirg

#21 Post by Ashirg » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:26 am

The picture has been slightly window-boxed to ensure that the maximum image is visible on all monitors.

alfons416

#22 Post by alfons416 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:56 am

i guess a wait and see a review, but to me it seems like the mk2-disc is a better cghoise, more extras and no pictureboxing.

Ashirg

#23 Post by Ashirg » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:00 am

Even with picture-boxing, I'm pretty sure Criterion transfer is going to better one from Ruscico.

ellipsis7

#24 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:02 am

I'm not so gone on this film to rush to replace my AE disc... the CC release is also relatively bare bones, after such a long wait...

HerrSchreck

#25 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:20 am

I could understand if you had the MK2, but the Aeye... jesus:

It's total crap dude. This disc makes Kino's Soviet releases look like... look like... okay I can't think of anything funny. It's late.

If you love the film, I can't imagine sticking with anything but MK2 vs the CC.