385 Army of Shadows

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
HerrSchreck

#26 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:40 am

I badly need some repeat viewings of this film past the single look I got as it passed thru NYC on it's first US tour. God I hope CC announces this soon, or it'll be Spanish disc City.

Or the BFI disc announced as forthcoming, I believe, with Ginette V..?

stephan73

#27 Post by stephan73 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:00 am

Also out here in Holland, probably the same versionas the Spanish one.. And only 8 euros!

HerrSchreck

#28 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:05 am

Encouraging
How Does the DVD Look?

There have been ongoing speculations that a Criterion release of Melville's masterpiece would be a great addition to the already published Le Samourai and Le Cercle Rouge. Yet, nothing has come out! In Europe however the film underwent a long restoration process and it seems like last month those who aren't fluent in French (unfortunately the previous two French releases were not English friendly) finally got their wish granted: The Shadow Army was released in Holland and Spain amongst other countries offering the newly restored French cut.

Presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.85:1 and enhanced for widescreen TV's the film looks stunning. I would never disregard a Criterion release without seeing it first (if such indeed materializes) but looking at what Studio Canal have provided for this Spanish disc I would be very surprised if a R1 release offers any substantial improvement in terms of video quality (let's not forget Criterion's annoying tendency to "adjust" the colors on Melville's films). What we have here is a magnificent progressive PAL print with beautiful colors, excellent degree of contrast, and some good film grain during the night scenes. The image is also crisp and cleaned up so well that as I mentioned above I do not see what else can be improved here. Perhaps a tiny tweaking here and there or some contrast manipulations but as far as I am concerned this disc looks simply way too good for any serious fan of Melville to pass it hoping for something better. Last but not least I am pleasantly surprised that edge enhancement is virtually nowhere to be found on this disc (in contrast with a few recent Studio Canal discs which I received last month). This is a great package folks! PAL-encoded, Region 2.

David Ehrenstein

#29 Post by David Ehrenstein » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:07 am

Pierre L'Homme is a great DP. Right after Army of Shadows he shot Four Nights of a Dreamer for Bresson. He shot a number of Merchant-Ivory's including Maurice

bjeggert82

#30 Post by bjeggert82 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:10 am

I just saw Melville's "Army of Shadow" tonight at the Edina, MN Landmark Theater. It was different than I was expecting--certainly not representative of the Melville I've come to know (primarily through the three Criterion DVD releases and "Un Flic"--a very nice Anchor Bay release, by the way). Then again, it has all the characteristics of a great Melville film, other than the criminal vs. cop theme that I've become accustomed to in his films. Though that element is replaced by resistance vs. Nazi, which in a way, applies.

The tempered calm that accompanies many of his characterizations normally used to creat their "cool," or mysteriousness, is instead used in "Army of Shadows" to depict the dutiful, never-ending sense of danger in the men and women of the resistance. So while the plot doesn't seem typically Melville in the sense that I'm used to, his mark is clear.

I won't say much on the film itself, other that there are moments of such high suspense (the medical truck in the Nazi prison; the "run") and drama (alone in a safehouse; interrogations) that strike one as far beyond, emotionally, any crime film Melville ever made. (Though, "Bob le flambeur" is pretty hard to beat...) This film proves that Melville is capable of so much more than just cool crime thrillers. I'm interested to see other never-before-released-in-the-US Melville films; if they're similar to this masterpiece, we're all in for a treat. If this print tours in your city, seek it out.

HerrSchreck

#31 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:38 am

I meant encouraging in the sense of the disc out now looking so apparently good, (not in the long whispered rumors of the CC disc, which I'd been privvy to for awhile). I'll probably be keeping an eye out for this while doing some badly needed import-shopping (I don't even have the fucking MoC KWAIDAN or--don't hit me over the head with a chair, please-- FAUST!).

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#32 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:52 am

Just a quick note to the Melvillians amongst you that one of the more interesting contenders at this year's highly dull EIFF was 'La raison du plus faible' by Luc Belvaux (He of 'LE TRILOGIE').

Imagine a distinctly apres Melville take on The Full Monty .i.e.redundant steel workers planning a heist instead of taking their clothes off. Special mention goes to the best narrative use of a helicopter shot I think I've seen.

soma

#33 Post by soma » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:07 am

Caught this at the recent Melville retrospective at ACMI in Melbourne and was floored. For certain it is amongst Melville's best, and he is one of my favourite filmmakers.

I hope the Criterion release rumours are true.

soma

#34 Post by soma » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:04 am

Thanks for the tip, but for some reason I made a decision a while back to only purchase DVDs from English language speaking countries (R4, R1, R2). May not always be the best choice but I guess I prefer the artwork, blurbs and special features in English. Plus admittedly I'm still in complete Criterion fanboy stage and will always choose their product over another version. The only exception to this is their early spine releases with non-anamorphic transfers. Madman / AV Channel in Melbourne have released vastly superior versions of Yojimbo, Sanjuro, High & Low and Kwaidan for example.

miless

#35 Post by miless » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:18 am

Le Samuraï is probably the most well received film that I recommend, and lend, to my friends... He was an astonishing talent as his films could be accepted by almost anybody

hangthadj

#36 Post by hangthadj » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:04 am

I had been checking Rialto's website hoping that this would show up in Indy, but there was no mention of it. Then when I was looking at Key Cinema's website I saw this would be here this week and I was thrilled. (Oddly enough it's still not mentioned on Rialto's site as being here, last I checked,)

I saw it last night and am just joining in the echoes of praise for this film. I didn't read too much up on it beforehand, wanting to experience the whole of it brand new. From the first scene of the Nazi's marching on Champs Elyses through the end I was completely invested in the film.

Someone said earlier there are scenes in this that are as memorable as any in film, and again I agree. The opening scene, the firing squad, the dance during the air raid, and Mathilde and the others in disguise trying to get Felix out. And like another said, it is in fact the moments of silence as much, if not more that make the scenes so special. The whole cast was terrific.

It's a film I definitely wish to see again and hope that it does make it's way to DVD soon. If this comes your way, definitely see it. Maybe even more than once.

feihong

#37 Post by feihong » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:31 pm

Does anyone else have problems with the Spanish disc of Army of the Shadows? I got mine yesterday and there were some crazy things with the subtitles. The English subtitles kept disappearing. There were no English subtitles for the different characters narrations, and for the other scenes there were only a few. Plus the area of the screen where the subtitles would be would shift and pixellate when the camera panned left or right--which happened a heck of a lot.

Anyone else have this problem, of is it just me?

Kinsayder

#38 Post by Kinsayder » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:00 am

The BFI edition with Ginette Vincendeau commentary and a "rare short film about Melville from 1968" is out on Nov 27th.

Narshty

#39 Post by Narshty » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:25 pm

At last, a Jean-Pierre Melville film I can be unreservedly enthusiastic - this is, beyond question, the best movie I've seen all year. The stylisation and craftsmanship is immaculate as ever, but it's real people, real lives, real feelings, and it's a revelation. It takes a fearsome talent to make something so measured and placid and so totally wrenching at the same time. The mind just boggles that it took 37 years for anyone to bother distributing this (well, only nine in the UK).

jt

#40 Post by jt » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:19 am

I can attest to the quality of the bfi release, the image is pitch perfect and the extras are essential. (As well as the film itself, certainly one of the best I've seen all year). I can see no reason for waiting for a possible future CC release, I really can't see how they could improve on the picture or content here.

On a slightly different topic, this may well become the film I use to try and hook new viewers who have no interest in art/foreign cinema. Is there already a thread out there to discuss good 'introductory' films to lure fans of mainstream? If not, I'll start one.

God knows it would make my life easier if I could cure my missus of her allergic reaction to subtitles and didn't have to wait for her to be out/asleep/unconscious etc. before catching a CC/MoC film...

Le Feu Follet

#41 Post by Le Feu Follet » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:54 pm

God knows it would make my life easier if I could cure my missus of her allergic reaction to subtitles and didn't have to wait for her to be out/asleep/unconscious etc. before catching a CC/MoC film...
My belief is that if someone hasn't discovered a taste of aptitude for something by themself by the time they are well into adulthood, then it's because it isn't in them, and effort in that direction is wasted. This is a slightly bleak view, I realise, and I would be interested to hear accounts of people being 'switched on' to something (apart from gardening) when they were middle-aged or beyond.

It's possible to create enthusiasm on a specific occasion, but leave them alone with it for six months and see if it has stuck; that's the hard part.

jt

#42 Post by jt » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:54 am

Le Feu Follet wrote:My belief is that if someone hasn't discovered a taste of aptitude for something by themself by the time they are well into adulthood, then it's because it isn't in them, and effort in that direction is wasted.
I think for many subjects, this is true. I don't ever imagine my other half begging me for tickets to a football match but that is a subject she is well aware of, is a massive part of popular culture (well, everywhere except the US) and she has made a informed decision that she is not interested in it.

However, growing up in the UK, the average person doesn't make a decision that they don't like Ozu or Fellini, they simply have no contact with them. It was the same with graphic novels (ok...comics...). Most of my friends and partners look down on them until you give them some Alan Moore of Neil Gaiman to read and they decide that they actually like them.

It's not that she has watched a bunch of my films and decided that she doesn't like them, it's that I also have hundreds of films that she's heard of and chooses through familiarity. I haven't yet decided what is the best entry point to peak her interest in more arty films. If I show her Andrei Rublev, I'm pretty sure that will the last time I get to pick the movie.

I'm biding my time till I can think of the right 'hook' films, as if I get it wrong, it's game over.

I'm thinking 'In the mood for love', 'Ugetsu' or 'Talk to her' as a starter but am open to suggestions from members who have weaned their partners onto the good stuff..?

Le Feu Follet

#43 Post by Le Feu Follet » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:52 am

Being one of life's proseletyzers, I do understand and sympathize with your position, jt. God, how many times down the years have I taken friends to see 'art' movies. Jean de Floret stands out in my memory. When I do this people are polite, and they do make the right noises, and it is genuine at the time. But after that moment is over do they continue to seek out those sorts of movies in a self-motivating way? Have they in fact changed? That is the killer critierion. Maybe, I agree, not in the case of a wife, where one is there all the time to nudge.

Kinsayder

#44 Post by Kinsayder » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:39 pm

On HD DVD in France on March 5th. Apparently it will have French, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, German and Dutch subtitles. Could the ostentatious lack of English subs mean that a UK edition is also planned?

skuhn8

#45 Post by skuhn8 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:52 pm

jt wrote:God knows it would make my life easier if I could cure my missus of her allergic reaction to subtitles and didn't have to wait for her to be out/asleep/unconscious etc. before catching a CC/MoC film...

I'm biding my time till I can think of the right 'hook' films, as if I get it wrong, it's game over.

I'm thinking 'In the mood for love', 'Ugetsu' or 'Talk to her' as a starter but am open to suggestions from members who have weaned their partners onto the good stuff..?
Ugetsu: no, I don't think that's the way to go. Talk to Her, more so All About my Mother: Pedro Almodovar is a nice entry point for many people. I listen to my Hungarian teacher colleagues who frequently complain about American popular films and the crap Hungarians are making nowadays in imitation thereof, and so they look to foreign films which invariably slip into the art end: Amelia (the sounds of heads being slapped in incredulity); just about anything by Almodovar; Breaking the Waves. I used Delicatessen to try to turn some of my buddies on to subtitled film, so-so results but my wife hated it with a passion. She liked La Strada a lot, but hated Julietta and the Spirits.

When I want to swing the wife around to something a bit more intellectually satisfying but am worried that it's going to push the envelope I try to keep it under two hours and in color. Seventh Seal is now her example of "the movie we will NOT be watching tonight" but Cries and Whispers got the nod of respect.

Just some personal snippets of experience. Probably worthless...and heinously off topic. Apologies to M. Melville and all who come to pay respects.

Gordon

#46 Post by Gordon » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:57 pm

Those red HD-DVD covers are HORRID!!! #-o They didn't bother me when it was just for the latest Blockbuster, but for Melville?! Come on!

I can't see the BFI releasing HD-DVD in the near future; it's probably just a case of Studio Canal being difficult.

MichaelB

#47 Post by MichaelB » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:20 pm

Gordon wrote:I can't see the BFI releasing HD-DVD in the near future; it's probably just a case of Studio Canal being difficult.
The BFI is actually in a very good position to switch to HD with minimal hassle, since it's been creating most of its new masters in HD for some time now.

But my guess (and I can't stress enough that I am not privy to any inside info on this) is that they're waiting for a viable HD market to emerge in the UK, because at the moment it's strictly early-adopter only. A clear winner in the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war would help too.

In the meantime, anyone with the necessary hardware, a Sky HD subscription and the Artsworld HD channel can get a sneak preview of some of the BFI's high-definition masters: they've been screening films by Godard (Sympathy for the Devil), Jarman (Caravaggio, Wittgenstein), Greenaway (The Draughtsman's Contract) and the Quay Brothers (assorted shorts).

Gordon

#48 Post by Gordon » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:49 pm

MichaelB wrote:The BFI is actually in a very good position to switch to HD with minimal hassle, since it's been creating most of its new masters in HD for some time now.
You could say exactly the same thing about Criterion and they have a far greater customer base. But it might happen. Surely you agree about those red HD-DVD banners and cases, though? Awful!

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#49 Post by Buttery Jeb » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:13 am

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#50 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:28 am

figures since I just ordered this last night from the UK