386 Sansho the Bailiff

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#26 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:12 pm

Le Samouraï wrote:Mizoguchi is a feminist :wink:
Mizoguchi was an expert at making use of the abuse of females to make great art (just like Puccini in opera). On a personal level, he was a male chauvinist pig. And his movies can only rarely be even loosely characterized as "feminist".

Naruse's films are feminist.

ellipsis7

#27 Post by ellipsis7 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:10 pm

Michael, would it be correct to say that Naruse is a feminist in the same way say Sirk and Fassbinder could be classed feminists?...

Murasaki53

#28 Post by Murasaki53 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:27 pm

Just to contribute my tuppence worth to the Kurosawa debate:

1. He's always up to something interesting in his films but I rarely find them completely satisfying. Two examples will suffice: Red Beard (overly didactic), The Bad Sleep Well (plot too contrived). Only Rashomon really does the business for me.

2. It depends on what you mean by Japanese film-maker but I keep picking up on the Zen/Buddhist influences. Rashomon, for example, is a cinematic Zen Koan, while High and Low takes you through the Six Realms of Buddhist psychology/cosmology.

This comes through in Sansho too: the Mahayana Buddhist theme of karuna (compassion) runs through this and other Mizoguchi films.

Gregory

#29 Post by Gregory » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:32 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:On a personal level, he was a male chauvinist pig. And his movies can only rarely be even loosely characterized as "feminist".
The films Mizoguchi directed can be feminist, in my view, without Mizoguchi himself having been a feminist personally. And, to risk stating the obvious, what was feminist in Japan in Mizoguchi's time is a lot different from what we might consider feminist now. As for which of his films contain feminist elements, this is not cut-and-dried; it's open to interpretation. I'm not even familiar with all of his work, and among those with which I am, quite a few come to mind: Downfall of Osen, Osaka Elegy, Sisters of the Gion, Story of the Last Chrysanthemums, among others from this mid-to-late '30s period; and later Victory of Women, The Love of Sumako the Actress, Women of the Night, My Love Has Been Burning, Life of Oharu, The Woman of Rumor, and Street of Shame. If we're talking about loose characterizations of his films, we could add any of his films with women in central roles along side male leads or women with strong, assertive characters, which wasn't always common in that era. That might appear too loose but it's less so within the context of his body of work, particularly in certain phases. Of course, it's impossible to analyze all these films here, so I'm just trying to establish a different position on the issue, for whatever that's worth.
davidhare wrote:Kurosawa is like a flea bite on the nose of Mizo!

As for Kurosawa vs. Mizoguchi, I only want to add this: it's a little known fact that Kurosawa actually directed Ugetsu Monogatari! It says so right here. For a short time, I used to consult AllMovie thinking the information might be more reliable than IMDB, but I kept finding amazing lapses like that.

tryavna

#30 Post by tryavna » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:18 pm

Kurosawa is clearly the 800-pound gorilla of Japanese cinema as far as the average Western film buff is concerned. But it's almost as if many buffs and critics hold Kurosawa personally accountable for that, and as more and more of Ozu's, Mizoguchi's, and other Japanese filmmakers' works are becoming available in the West, it's definitely become "hip" to try to topple Kurosawa off his pedestal. I'm not suggesting that you or any particular members of this forum do that, but you have to admit that it's a discernable tendency. (It's a bit like coming to dislike a band that's suddenly become too popular.)

What makes all of this puzzling to me is that film buffery isn't a zero-sum game. (Availability is definitely an issue, but thank God, it's becoming much less so in the digital era.) So just because someone gets introduced to Mizoguchi -- or Naruse or Ozu or Shindo or whoever -- doesn't mean one has to stop liking Kurosawa. I think most of us watch different directors for different reasons, and I watch Kurosawa for certain things that I don't get out of Ozu -- and vice versa. If nothing else, Kurosawa will always remain a superb action director, not unlike, say, Raoul Walsh, William Wellman, and John Ford (the most obvious point of comparison). And of course, Kurosawa probably introduced more Westerners to Japanese cinema than anyone else, and for that he deserves quite a lot of credit.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#31 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:38 pm

Gregory wrote:The films Mizoguchi directed can be feminist, in my view, without Mizoguchi himself having been a feminist personally.
Obviously. ;~}
And, to risk stating the obvious, what was feminist in Japan in Mizoguchi's time is a lot different from what we might consider feminist now.
True -- but only to a point. But Mizoguchi was not really a feminist in any meaningful sense. Sure, he often presented females in trouble -- but so did Puccini -- and no one claims Puccini was a feminist. (Very little difference between Madama Butterfly and a typical Mizoguchi film).
As for which of his films contain feminist elements, this is not cut-and-dried; it's open to interpretation. I'm not even familiar with all of his work, and among those with which I am, quite a few come to mind: Downfall of Osen, Osaka Elegy, Sisters of the Gion, Story of the Last Chrysanthemums, among others from this mid-to-late '30s period; and later Victory of Women, The Love of Sumako the Actress, Women of the Night, My Love Has Been Burning, Life of Oharu, The Woman of Rumor, and Street of Shame.
Very few of these really present independent assertive women. Most of the lead women are knocked about -- and their abuse is intended to evoke pathos -- but there is rarely much political import. And, insofar as women are presented as self-assertive, Mizoguchi typically seems ambiguous (or negative). Viz . Ayako Wakao's greedy character in Street of Shame (which is as close to a politically-charged feminist film as Mizoguchi made).
If we're talking about loose characterizations of his films, we could add any of his films with women in central roles along side male leads or women with strong, assertive characters, which wasn't always common in that era. That might appear too loose but it's less so within the context of his body of work, particularly in certain phases. Of course, it's impossible to analyze all these films here, so I'm just trying to establish a different position on the issue, for whatever that's worth.
Women were central characters in virtualy all home dramas. And (somewhat) self-assetive women weren't all that rare either. while Mizoguchi has plenty to offer aesthetically speaking -- he is credited with lots of other things that simply aren't correct. ;~}

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#32 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:50 pm

ellipsis7 wrote:Michael, would it be correct to say that Naruse is a feminist in the same way say Sirk and Fassbinder could be classed feminists?...
I am not a particular fan of either of these other directors. Much too florid and melodramatic for my taste. (Not a criticism -- just a matter of temperament). I prefer the more subdued Japanese sort of melodrama. ;~}

Naruse depended a great deal on books written by women with strong women's perspectives -- and on women screen writers. But even when he was writing his own scripts early in his career -- his films had a noticeable female point of view (whereas Ozu films mainly had a primarily male outlook at first, which gradually shifted to a more neutral one).

By and large, Naruse didn't simply make women the central characters in his films but actually presented a woman's eye view of events. Mizoguchi almost never did the latter -- though occasionally (e.g., "Straits of Love and Hate", "Uwasa no onna").

To what extent do you think Sirk and Fassbinder present something that approximates a woman's eye view in their films?

ellipsis7

#33 Post by ellipsis7 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:32 pm

I was thinking about their use of melodrama to highlight the plight of individual women in relationships and situations, and wanting to compare that with your thoughts on Naruse's use of melodrama, which you have done... Interesting what you say about Naruse's sources, and also his woman's eye... I don't think Sirk or Fassbinder present a specific woman's eye, rather they are clear and open eyed in their depictions, and use melodrama as a sort of familiaR cloak or vehicle to ride the audience into this dangerous territory...

To me this would contrast with say Ozu or Antonioni, or indeed Kiarostami, who slow down and make the plot so inconsequential that the film emerges in the spaces in between narrative events...

Gregory

#34 Post by Gregory » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:11 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:But Mizoguchi was not really a feminist in any meaningful sense.
I was saying not that he was a feminist but that the films are feminist texts above and beyond the basic level of Mizoguchi's conscious intentions, thus my earlier distinction. I do think he went through phases of what could be termed feminism (again in the context of the time). His treatment of women in his private life doesn't really change this, because people's contradictions and hypocrisies often don't completely erase their convictions. But again this is different from the point I'm trying to make, which is about the films themselves and not necessarily their director.
Sure, he often presented females in trouble -- but so did Puccini -- and no one claims Puccini was a feminist. (Very little difference between Madama Butterfly and a typical Mizoguchi film). ... Very few of these really present independent assertive women. Most of the lead women are knocked about -- and their abuse is intended to evoke pathos -- but there is rarely much political import.
I am not much of an opera fan and don't have much of a feel for Puccini, so I can't speak to that comparison, but I would certainly argue that the women in Mizoguchi's films were much more than mere victims or objects of sympathy or pathos -- not to say you were necessarily asserting that Mizoguchi's women are merely (or primarily) this, but it's an all-too-common position. There is a great emotional depth and agency in the female characters of his mid-late 1930s and late 1940s work. To me, what makes a feminist film, however, is not necessarily one with strong-willed, assertive films (though that can certainly be an ingredient) but rather an analysis or exploration of the structures that facilitate oppression of women. I find great political import along these lines, albeit intermittent, throughout these films.
And, insofar as women are presented as self-assertive, Mizoguchi typically seems ambiguous (or negative). Viz . Ayako Wakao's greedy character in Street of Shame (which is as close to a politically-charged feminist film as Mizoguchi made).
Because I don't think the assertiveness is the point of the films' feminism, I don't think the strong women usually need to be portrayed in a positive light. An ambiguity maybe, but I don't see a general negativity (though I do need to see some of these again). To respond to the example you gave, though, I definitely did not see Yasumi as simply greedy.
SpoilerShow
She seems so at first, but she's doing it all to get her father out of prison.

But again, it would be a feminist film even without Yasumi, although there is a pall of cynicism over it.
Women were central characters in virtualy all home dramas. And (somewhat) self-assetive women weren't all that rare either.
True, but Mizoguchi's films seemed to often take it to an unprecedented level. Were there lots of other films at the time with characters like Sasae in The Famous Sword Bijomaru?

edited: I typed "can" in one place where I meant to type "can't"
Last edited by Gregory on Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#35 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:42 pm

Ozu's films (like Hou's) usually have a lot more going on in them plot-wise than we usually notice. It is just that Ozu treats plot events that others would view as indispensable to depict as having little or no importance. We tend to mainly only _hear_ about what actually has happened -- sometime only in passing (as if by happenstance).l

My sense is that Mizoguchi is a lot more like Sirk and Fassbinder than Naruse is....

The primary theme in Mizoguchi's films is the sublime beauty of a female sacrificing herself for the most important man in her life. You find this in the early "Water Magician" and the late "Princess Yang Kwei Fei" -- and in most of the films that come in between. This is the same theme one finds in much of Wagner and Puccini. It is obviously a very attractive topic for artistic utilization -- but it is not feminist by any stretch of the imagination.

There can be lots of depth in works of this sort -- and the female characters can be complex and deeply appealing. They are not mainly there to evoke sympathy or pity -- they are there, doing what they do, because Mizoguchi was able to find beauty in the situation he depicted.

Contrary to your assertion, I don't think one finds much in the way of "analysis or exploration of the structures that facilitate oppression of women" in Mizoguchi's films -- except in the very politically (and artistically) naive post-war films like "Women of the Night", :"Victory of Women" and "My Love Is Burning".

The great pre-war films "Osaka Elegy" and "Sisters of Gion" both explore oppression of particular females -- but there is very little socio-political insight to be found -- this is all very particularistic. (Mind you -- not a criticism -- just a description). "Straits of Love and Hate" is also very particularized -- but offers the rare (in Mizoguchi) spectacle of a female heroine basically telling a weak male "piss off". This is probably the most Naruse-esque of all Mizoguchi films (moreso even that "Street of Shame").

(SoS note -- Yasumi's explanation may explain the genesis of her money-grubbing -- but it clearly became an end in itself pretty quickly -- she is like a younger version of Haruko Sugimura's character in "Late Chrysanthemums". Besides, however justifiable her ends in the beginning, her means are beyond appalling).

Turning to Sansho (a great film) -- it says almost nothing of political significance (either in general terms -- or in terms of male-female relations). Rather, it is mostly just a submersion of the viewer in the terrible beauty of suffering (of various sorts).

Jean-Luc Garbo

#36 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:50 pm

I was hoping that there'd be political significance in Sansho! (I guess I'll save that hope for the Melville.) Thanks for the help anyway. Pretty soon my ignorance of Mizoguchi will be dispelled. I still love Kurosawa, though!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#37 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:58 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:I was hoping that there'd be political significance in Sansho! (I guess I'll save that hope for the Melville.) Thanks for the help anyway. Pretty soon my ignorance of Mizoguchi will be dispelled. I still love Kurosawa, though!
Political message of "Sansho" -- slavery is a bad thing. Not really very controversial. Again -- political significance has almost nothing to do with aesthetic beauty.

Don Lope de Aguirre

#38 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:05 pm

Mizoguchi was an expert at making use of the abuse of females to make great art (just like Puccini in opera). ... And his movies can only rarely be even loosely characterized as "feminist".

Naruse's films are feminist.
Spoken like true gentleman! (I would add that a perfect example of this is The Life of Oharu)
I guess that we really begin to face the problem that the Japanese obviously had with Kurosawa, namely, that he appears too 'western' stylewise. ... perhaps to really appreciate Kuro's greatness, it would be better to compare his work with John Ford rather than with Mizoguchi or Naruse.
All this talk of Kurosawa being too Western and people wanting to knock him off his perch etc is one all mighty smokescreen. Judge these two by their films and their films alone!

Take Rashomon which everyone seems to think is so wonderful (I'm not denying it's a good film...) but hasn't, say, Antonioni looked at the same topic with so much more intelligence in Blow Up? Kurosawa, like Fellini, is a wonderful technician, no doubt about it! But for all his brilliance he is found wanting when compared to the very, very best... In Japan alone you'll find more substance and intellectual nourishment in (to name a few): Oshima, Mizoguchi, Ozu, Teshigahara...

But really, all this is off topic! I should start a Kurosawa bashing thread! :lol:

I would just like to add that I have nothing against Kurosawa, it just irritates me when people talk of him as being above or equal those who are clearly his betters!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#39 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:15 pm

Don Lope de Aguirre wrote:I would add that a perfect example of this is The Life of Oharu
A perfect example -- in that Mizoguchi took a literary source that basically found the vicissitudes (and decline) of the heroine funny -- and turned her story into one that evokes sympathy and pity.

Mizoguchi made films that Kurosawa could not have made -- and vice versa. When Mizoguchi _tried_ to make a Kurosawa-type film (Tales of the Taira Clan), he basically flopped.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#40 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:25 pm

I've been waiting for Oharu since before I knew who Mizoguchi was! I'd like that even more than Ugetsu or Sansho.

exte

#41 Post by exte » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:28 pm

Narshty wrote:Interesting (and a shame) that they've junked both the laserdisc commentaries for their Mizoguchi releases so far (Sansho had a track by Thomas Gunning, Ugetsu a group track that included Donald Richie).
Being a Criterion laserdisc commentary collector, I too am baffled by this. What's the reasoning, I wonder. Is it the lack of rights, or were they just not good enough? As for the need for any commentary, "great" films like this should have as many as the disc can take, and leave it up to the viewer to decide if they want to listen. I obviously can't get enough of them, when they're well done and informative, of course...

Gregory

#42 Post by Gregory » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:08 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:Contrary to your assertion, I don't think one finds much in the way of "analysis or exploration of the structures that facilitate oppression of women" in Mizoguchi's films -- except in the very politically (and artistically) naive post-war films like "Women of the Night", :"Victory of Women" and "My Love Is Burning".
The great pre-war films "Osaka Elegy" and "Sisters of Gion" both explore oppression of particular females -- but there is very little socio-political insight to be found -- this is all very particularistic. (Mind you -- not a criticism -- just a description).
Well among the films I was thinking of, Victory of Women and My Love is Burning are the clearest examples, but I do not think it ends with those. I don't expect I'll ever fully understand what would motivate your hasty dismissal of these works, so there is probably not much point in discussing them. Another reason for this is that your choice of words ("one finds," what is or is not "to be found," etc.) seems to communicate that there is one and only one correct way of interpreting these films and that you have exhausted all the important meanings they contain.

I also do not share in what seems to be a fundamental assumption at work here, that aesthetics and meaning can be considered separately from one another. It's impossible to really understand the aesthetic qualities of a film without asking what they are communicating and to what meanings they are connected. Considering style and substance separately might make for tidier discussions, but it leads to an impoverishment of both things, which is probably what would allow the ideological content of Sansho to be reduced to merely "slavery is a bad thing."

Don Lope de Aguirre

#43 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:01 pm

I think you have misunderstood him, Gregory, both in terms of his way of talking and the 'point' he is making...

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#44 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:10 pm

Unless the thematic content of a film (or opera) is affirmatively stupid or outright perfidious, I frankly could care less.

My problems with most of Mizoguchi's first post-war films are aesthetic. Thematically, their hearts are in (more or less) the right place, but the scripts are unsubtle and the dialog is often quite clunky. And Mizoguchi's usually impeccable visual sense is erratic. (I found exactly the same sort of problems in his last wartime film, "Great Sword Bijomaru"). Happily, one does not find these problems in his wonderful "Utamaro" or his "Love of Sumako the Actress" (well, maybe a little in the latter, but not enough to matter much).

Why does Sansho have to have a significant "ideological content"? My criticisms of Sansho (such as they are) have nothing to do with this. Rather I find fault with some major story lapses (not highly important), a seriously weak performance by Yoshiaki Hanayagi (a major -- but hardly crippling problem) and the almost totally generic nature of Tanaka's part (the same problem as one finds in "Ugetsu"). Any problems with Sansho are, nonetheless, minor compared to its overall level of beauty.

MEK

HerrSchreck

#45 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:53 am

GringoTex wrote:Is this really a problem that "the Japanese" had, or have the comments of one or two Japanese critics been attributed to the collective body? I know several Western film critics have made this claim (most influentially, Noel Burch), but I don't know anything about Japanese criticism.

I've also never understood the attribution to Ozu of a Japanese style at the expense of Kurosawa. If Ozu is so "Japanese," then why do no other Japanese films look like his? I see Kurosawa's influence all over Japanese cinema, but to my knowledge, Ozu remains a singular visionary.
Both of these points are right on the money. It's a common phenom of a region of international film which up until a decade or so ago was for the most part ignored by the vast bulk of a domestic audience leading to a couple of voices-- i e Don Richie and a few others-- seeing their opinions become bible truths for the mass market which is now discovering the work for the first time. So in the case of Kuro & Ozu, a few English speaking critical icons have the capability of laying down paradigms for the simple reason that their notes hit western culture amidst what was at the time a critical black hole. So it will take a while of generational digestion for us to culturally shit out this idea of Ozu being the most "oriental" or Japanese of directors... whereas the guy's style was entirely unique and iconic and lay at the end of a long road of initially extravagant stylistic developments.

It's a common phenom, in all areas where the original set of scholars of a sliver interest see their early writing pollute the mass interest of a later generation. Silent film scholarship is full of a zillion red herrings.

Aside from all this-- what a month of announcements... phew. Great release schedule CC! 2007 is turning inta a fucker of a year.

HerrSchreck

#46 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:26 am

Odammit Odama!

You Aussies must be retching buckets of bile for the pm John Howard's dutiful attempt to spoot on Obama's official announcment with his proxy attack on behalf of George Bush. I loved Obamas retort
(paraphrase):
"If the pm of australia is ginned up to fight the good fight in Iraq, then let him go ahead and send 20,000 of his countryment in..." because of course the aussies would never send more than (the already to high... one soldier is too many) 2,000 soliders (or is it 1000, i forget) into this disgraceful fiasco.

whaleallright

#47 Post by whaleallright » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:48 am

it says almost nothing of political significance
Possibly true, but it is worth noting that the father is banished for expressing the idea that everyone has an equal right to justice and happiness, an opinion that would have been incredibly unlikely in feudal Japan but which conformed to the official state ideology in the wake of the American occupation. So it's an attempt to read Japan's new democracy back into the mythical past.

The Carole Cavanaugh portion of the BFI Film Classics book on this film goes over the ideological implications of the various versions of the story.
Last edited by whaleallright on Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#48 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:04 pm

jonah.77 wrote:it is worth noting that Sansho's father is banished for expressing the idea that everyone has an equal right to justice and happiness, an opinion that would have been incredibly unlikely in feudal Japan but which conformed to the official state ideology in the wake of the American occupation. So it's an attempt to read Japan's new democracy back into the mythical past. (I don't recall this aspect of the story being present in any of the earlier literary versions.)
This is an aspect of the film that bothers me. The ideal expressed is fine, but (politically speaking) the presentation is primitive and naive. It is very like the lesser films of the latter 40s in this respect. But in terms of visual intelligence and beauty, this stands far above those earlier films -- and the weakness of the "theme" almost doesn't matter..
Mizoguchi is definitely attracted to suffering but I'm sure that what he finds there--in the famous final shot of this film, for instance--can be reduced to a concept of "beauty." The endings of this film and of "Ugetsu" seem too agonized for that.
Here I simply have to differ. As far as I can see, 95+ % of what matters in late Mizoguchi is "beauty" (it may be "terrible" beauty, but still....). And I think this is true even in the anguish-inducing final sequence of "Street of Shame".

I do not understand the need to elevate great cinematic creators into the realm of "deep thinkers". Mizoguchi's "thoughts" are often quite superficial -- it is his sense of vision that is masterful (and sometimes sublime).

Steven H

#49 Post by Steven H » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:38 pm

It seems that even Mizoguchi's most ardent supporters cite his often times crude Shimpa melodrama style. I usually give it little thought while watching his films, and focus, as Michael says, on the beauty (and it's telling on me that one of the most fatally melodramatic but gorgeously shot, Zangiku Monogatari, is also my favorite of his.). I've only seen a poorish english subbed, VHS dub of Sansho (I have the french disc, but haven't watched it, and will wait), and I would categorize it with the Crucified Lovers as along the same lines as Zangiku Monogatari in regard to my taste.

I think a case could be made that Street of Shame, Sisters of the Gion, and Osaka Elegy are Mizoguchi's most "advanced" or modern stories (the last shots of Osaka Elegy and Street of Shame have a depth missing in much of his other "feminist" work). They also feel more realistic than many of his other films (as in the drama has an edge and grip, and you are invested in the characters). This discussion has given me a good reason to go back and rewatch these films.

ellipsis7

#50 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:42 pm

Reading Mark Le Fanu's 'Mizoguchi and Japan'... Certainly Mizoguchi in his personal life was aware the hardships of of woman through his mother, his elder sister Suzu, his wife, a former bar hostess, Chieko Saga, and after she became sick and died, her widowed sister Fuji whom he then married and became adoptive father and protector of her two children... Favored actress Kinuyo Tanaka said of him, "He loved, through me, the women I played"...

Mizoguchi is reported to have said Naruse's cinema "lacked balls" and more seriously Le Fanu devotes a page of the book to comparing Naruse's and Mizoguchi's work.... Where Naruse's films are 'more legible' and stated, "the serious and examinable faces of the actresses in repose... take us directly into their feelings. There is none of the darkness and distance - the sense of the 'non-said' and 'can't be said' - that makes Mizoguchi's films from the period both so intriguing and oblique"