350 Seduced and Abandoned

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Gigi M.

#26 Post by Gigi M. » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:20 pm

Criterion is windowboxing everything. The Beaver:
Criterion's transfer has somewhat of a landmark in that it is their first widescreen feature that is pictureboxed - with a black border circumventing the frame. Up until now they have only followed this practice with 1.33 :1 ratio films. For a detailed description of picture-boxing see our Kind Heart and Coronets review HERE. It appears the practice that many DVD-o-philes detest is branching out to Criterion's widescreen features as well.

headacheboy

#27 Post by headacheboy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:49 am

I can't believe Criterion windowboxed Seduced and Abandoned. I've canceled my preorder for this title and I've written Criterion to let them know. This practice is simply absurd and now it has gotten completely out of hand. Perhaps in the future I'll buy it when Criterion releases it when they begin reissuing all the titles they windowboxed inappropriately (on whatever format is king).

criterionsnob

#28 Post by criterionsnob » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:06 pm

colinr0380

#29 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:37 pm

DVD Verdict review.

sevenarts

#30 Post by sevenarts » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:14 am

I just wanted to add a small comment here since it's something that I only noticed recently... I wonder if there's any particular reason that Criterion turned to comic book artists for both Germi covers? They look amazing, and the two artists selected happen to be two of my favorites -- the incomporable Jaime Hernandez (Love & Rockets) on Divorce, and Mike Allred (Madman) on Seduced. I just ordered the latter film so haven't seen it yet, but it strikes me as a weird (but very cool) intersection of comics and film.