261-264 Fanny and Alexander

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
teddyleevin

Re: Fanny and Alexander (Ingmar Bergman, 1982)

#301 Post by teddyleevin » Fri May 26, 2017 10:34 am

This is such a wonderful to film to revisit and re-inhabit. Like many, I sit down with the television version over a few nights every (or every other) December. The 5-hour cut gets one so close to Ekdahls that one feels as if they've spent way more than 5 unique hours with the family and their worlds. I first saw the film when I was maybe 16 and can only really remember one thing about the miraculous escape: the way Bergman is shown in the documentary (and on the artwork for same) to directly demonstrate to Erland Josephson what he wants to have happen. It's a moment of stark conviction from the filmmaker (who is already so intensely meticulous) and produces a gasp and a lump in my throat every time I see it.

Jan Malmsjö's performance as Edvard Vergérus is surely one of the most terrifying villainous portrayals in cinema and nothing seems more apt as when he is subverted by pure mysticism and magic that, if not of "pure goodness" is at least of "pure rightness". Cinema is a magic lantern, after all, so why not accept magic? The otherness and exoticism of Jacobi's household (Aron & Ismael) definitely portray this power as something to be embraced with caution. Alexander sees ghosts before and after this encounter, but there is a coming-of-age discovered via his run-in with the spectre of Edvard: a real-world haunt with physical consequences, shoving him violently to the ground. To be saved through this magic and to come face-to-face with the sorcerery at play in the Jacobi workshop comes with its own consequence: a sharp reality to his "visions" for the rest of his life. It's a trade-off thrust upon him and it's a weight he must accept.

As sloper succinctly puts it:
we also have a sense that those imaginative forces have acquired a new power, not only to terrify but also to hurt, and that nothing can fully protect Alexander from the damage that has been and will be done to him.
How about the title? I've always appreciated the misdirect inherent as it's clearly Alexander's story, but Fanny remains a compelling bystander and victim as daughter and sister. I can't recall the history of the title so much (and certainly, it scans better in Swedish and English to have them in this order). The film is about so much and so many, it would be hard to title it. Maybe I'm a little distracted right now, but it's telling that I actually started the previous sentence with "The book is about" before realizing the error.

Sloper

#302 Post by Sloper » Sat May 27, 2017 6:06 am

ando wrote:The portraits of character are brutally realistic so that events can be as fantastic as Bergman cares to paint them. The plausible is thereby irrelevant.
That's a really good point. On a kind-of related note: I often think that Bergman isn't that great at 'plotting', or pacing, which is more of a problem in some of the early, plot-heavy melodramas. For the most part it doesn't matter, because we get so absorbed in the authentic human story being told. The first part of Fanny and Alexander, in particular, is quite bold in its disregard for 'story' and 'action'. When I watched it with my wife a year or two ago, she said that it captured that feeling you get in childhood where time passes slowly, you feel quite bored at times (the interminable Christmas meals, the reading from the Bible), and the stakes are always low - which is both comforting and frustrating. There's also a nice sense that the older characters are returning to a similar state, but weighed down by their lifetime of experience. It wouldn't be wholly inappropriate if, like Isak, you felt yourself almost nodding off while Helena rambles mournfully about her life, just as later on you might start to tune out during Isak's bedtime reading to the rescued children.
ando wrote:I think the narrative adopts an ambiguity similar to dreams though the fact of whether or not events are real seems secondary to the subject dreaming it - in this case, Alexander.
Yes, I agree about this ambiguity, although I don't think we see everything through Alexander's consciousness. One crucial idea in the first part is that the children experience Christmas in one way, the adults in another, and at that point the two realms are kept reasonably separate. Part of what makes the subsequent episodes so painful is the way that adult problems invade the children's lives (the gruesome apparatus surrounding the father's death-bed, for instance). We see this coming from the start, and Alexander has premonitions about it too, but he always has a limited perception and understanding of what's going on. So I think it's important to see the film operating on different levels, and from different perspectives - even including Edvard's, towards the end.
teddyleevin wrote:I first saw the film when I was maybe 16 and can only really remember one thing about the miraculous escape: the way Bergman is shown in the documentary (and on the artwork for same) to directly demonstrate to Erland Josephson what he wants to have happen. It's a moment of stark conviction from the filmmaker (who is already so intensely meticulous) and produces a gasp and a lump in my throat every time I see it.
That image of Bergman illustrating Isak's gesture is very striking. It's as if Bergman, as a storyteller, is expressing an intense frustration with the way the story is playing out: Edvard sees through Isak's trick, of course, because it's a dumb trick and he's a clever man, but why does life have to be like this? Why, in telling this story, do we have to let this happen - why can't it be easier to save these children from this monster? I also find it very poignant, precisely because it's a piece of wish-fulfilment. If only real-life families could be saved so easily. And of course that awareness of how real-life problems haunt you beyond childhood shapes the narrative from then on.
teddyleevin wrote:How about the title? I've always appreciated the misdirect inherent as it's clearly Alexander's story, but Fanny remains a compelling bystander and victim as daughter and sister.
You're right, but something would be missing if you left Fanny out of the title. As you say she's primarily a bystander, a witness to what Alexander goes through (some of it anyway), an ally for him (as when she refuses Edvard's embrace), and someone he has to take responsibility for when no one else does. So she's an important part of his life. Mainly, though, I think the point of the title is that this isn't just about one particular child. From the Ekdahls' point of view, it is 'the children' who are at stake throughout these traumatic events, and the film is first and foremost about children, or about childhood: in a way Alexander is, like Fanny, a kind of cipher through which the film can explore complicated themes. In other words the film isn't a character study of Alexander, even if it tends to focus on his experiences. I'm not sure if that makes sense - it's just an attempt to say what the title means to me, really.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#303 Post by ando » Sat May 27, 2017 3:35 pm

Sloper wrote:
ando wrote:I think the narrative adopts an ambiguity similar to dreams though the fact of whether or not events are real seems secondary to the subject dreaming it - in this case, Alexander.
Yes, I agree about this ambiguity, although I don't think we see everything through Alexander's consciousness. One crucial idea in the first part is that the children experience Christmas in one way, the adults in another, and at that point the two realms are kept reasonably separate. Part of what makes the subsequent episodes so painful is the way that adult problems invade the children's lives (the gruesome apparatus surrounding the father's death-bed, for instance). We see this coming from the start, and Alexander has premonitions about it too, but he always has a limited perception and understanding of what's going on. So I think it's important to see the film operating on different levels, and from different perspectives - even including Edvard's, towards the end.
Well, Alexander is ten. How much can we expect him to understand? Again, I think that he has a kind of second sight which enables him to have empathy for the people and perspectives surrounding him which is a way in for Bergman to explore this world. I don't feel the narrative aporoaches an Altman-like 3rd person view of events and characters, certainly. One of the personal attractions for me is the Ekdahl's resemblance to my own rather large and animated extended family whose exploits, which I barely understood at 10, were not concealed from me, either. They shaped much of who I am as an adult which I believe is part of what Bergman was trying to convey with Fanny.

When asked about his childhood in this brief segment Bergman describes Alexander's existential situation precisely.