306 Le samouraï

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
david hare

Re: 306 Le samouraï

#201 Post by david hare » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:20 pm

Guess who has just reviewed it and confirmed everything Remy has been saying.

I do have to agree with Remy that once something which badly needs a competent 4K or even 2K restoration from ground up is given an interim fixup like this it postpones the date for a really good resto further into infinity. Warner's very weak HD of their old 2004 master for Band Wagon is one case, Paramount's similarly old corpses for their very poor BDs of CHinatown and Funny Face from weak early 2000s HD masters are others.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#202 Post by cdnchris » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:52 am

I haven't seen the Pathe disc: after seeing the grabs I totally passed on it. But is it safe to assume that the clips from the film used in the 2011 documentary on here (d'honneur et de nuit, which appears to have been made for that Pathe release) come from that restoration? Because if they do... fuck. What a disaster!

MichaelB

#203 Post by MichaelB » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:05 pm

It’s staggering. I finally got a copy courtesy of StudioCanal’s big Melville box (the French edition), and it’s hands down the worst Blu-ray transfer I’ve ever seen. How anybody with functioning eyes signed it off is a total mystery.