21 Dead Ringers

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
exte

21 Dead Ringers

#1 Post by exte » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:36 pm

Dead Ringers

[img]http://criterion_production.s3.amazonaws.com/release_images/254/21_box_348x490_w100.jpg[/img]

In Dead Ringers, David Cronenberg tells the chilling story of identical twin gynecologists—suave Elliot and sensitive Beverly, bipolar sides of one personality—who share the same practice, the same apartment, the same women. When a new patient, glamorous actress Claire Niveau, challenges their eerie bond, they descend into a whirlpool of sexual confusion, drugs, and madness. Jeremy Irons’ s tour-de-force performance—as both twins—raises disturbing questions about the nature of personal identity.

Disc Features

- A new digital transfer, approved by director David Cronenberg and director of photography Peter Suschitzky
- Audio commentary by Cronenberg, Jeremy Irons, editor Ron Sanders, production designer Carol Spier, and Suschitzky
- The original designs for the opening title sequence
- Mathematics in Metal & Instruments for Operating on Mutant Women: A still gallery of drawings and photographs of the sculptures and medical instruments designed for the film
- Twinning effect/motion control footage
- The electronic press kit, including a trailer and a featurette
- Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition

Out of Print

Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

exte

#2 Post by exte » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:42 pm

From the old forum:
dvd dane wrote:Dead Ringers (Story, analysis and review)

I was surprised to find that no one had remarked anything by this masterpiece of modern cinema. Being a dedicated admirer of David Cronenbergs work and considering Dead Ringers to be his best and most approachable movie to date, I looked into my notes and compiled a short (despite its length) analysis and review of the movie and its presentation by Criterion Collection.

TWO DOCS FOUND DEAD IN A POSH POD
One of Cronenbergs favorite headlines ever and the initial push towards making Dead Ringers. In 1981 Cronenberg decided to make a movie about twins, and while Carol Baum wanted to do a remake of The Dark Mirror (Robert Siodmak 1946), the good/bad twin had no interest for Cronenberg. He was far more interested in case of the Marcus twins, awoken by the "shocking" headline. His initial thought when reading the headlines and the stories was that somebody ought to make a movie about this; as nobody did it and thinking about it for ten years Cronenberg said to himself "I'll do it myself... why not!".

THE CASE OF THE MARCUS TWINS
The headlines of basicly all New York papers and magazines were in July 1975 about the Marcus Twins. Both leading and celebrated gynecologists were found dead in their Manhatten apartment, victims of barbiturate addiction.

The Macus brothers, Cyril and Stewart (born 1930), were not just anyone. They both were honor graduates from New York State University's Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse (1954), they both were editors on several textbooks on obstetrics and gynecology, they both wrote several important articles and papers on infertility, both taught and held professorates at Cornell University Medical School and were affiliated with New York Hospital.

After Cyril got divorced (Stewart never married), the twins moved together in a luxery apartment/office/gynological practice in East side Manhatten.

On July 17 1975, a handyman discovered the doctors sprawled on the floor in their bedroom. Autopsy reports showed that they had been dead for approximately a week. Death was concluded to be suicide by an overdose of barbiturates.

The shocking discovery started an avalance in the medical society and investigations into drug abuse amongst physician. NY State made enquiries, and witnesses testified, that the Marcus twins had been addicts for a considerable time and had been performing surgery heavy influenced by drugs; to the point of barely being able to stand up. Collegues testified that they considered the twins to be geniuses and didnt notice their aberrant behavior as stange. As a result of the enquiries, the New York State Medical Society issued a report urging doctors, nurses and patients to report any physician they suspected of drug abuse.

THE CASE OF THE MANTLE TWINS
While giving credit to the Bari Wood novel "Twins", which is a losely adaptation of the Marcus twin scandal, Cronenberg was far more interested in the scandal itself, especially the relation between twins. According to David Cronenberg, the final movie is 40% of Norman Snider's script (based mainly on the book by Bari Wood) and 60% of his own visions.

Two bodies, two personalites, one mind.

The leitmotif in all Cronenbergs movies is the mind/body split. Thus the Mantle twins in Dead Ringers are conceptual science fiction, as they are identical to the degree of being as one (in mind/body) only seperated by being twins in physical form. While the body is split in two (by being twins), their mind are one. In Dead Ringers this is established early on as we are introduced to the growing up of the Mantle twins. When recieving honors for the development of the Mantle retractor, Elliott (the "outie") recieves the reward, while Beverly (the "inie") does reseach. When bringing the good news Elliott says "You should have been there" and Beverly answer "I was". The switch between personalities is later presented, as Elliott gets back from a dinner with a benifactor

Beverly: How did it go ?
Elliott: You were great. We got our grant.

Elliott: You got to go, you got to try the moviestar, she is unbelievable. Dont worry, you will be alright. Just do me.

The seperation (mind/body split)

In the concept of "identical" twins, Cronenberg suggests they are desperate to share everything, beyond just doing things together. He makes this very visible in the scene, where Beverly returns from Claire (after Elliott have had her initially).

Elliott: Tell me all about it
Beverly: I dont want to tell you all about it. I want to keep it... for myself.
Elliott: Listen. You havent had any experience until Ive had it too. You havent fucked Claire Niveau until you tell me about it.
Beverly: Then I havent fucked Claire Niveau.

This scene is the first important one in the "doom" of the Mantle twins, as it demonstrates the split of mind/body. As Claire discovers the truth behind her "lover(s)" and confronts them, especially Beverly, the split becomes even more visual, as Cronenberg sets up a complex dream sequence, in which Beverly seperates them in body aswell, by biting their "conjointion" apart.

While Berverly is drifting away from his other "self", Elliott maintaince the mind/body relationship; this is illustrated in the scene, where Elliott meets the identical twin call girls:

Elliott: Listen. So that I know which one of you is which, I'd like you Coral to call me Elly, and you Mimsy to call me Bev.

This line is crucial in the understanding of the mind of Elliott. The two nicknames add up to Beverly (Bev+Elly). Not only does he maintain the mind/body by being called both names, he identifies himself with his twin in the "conjoined" name (BevElly). This scene, I suggest, can also be read as Elliott repressing the idea of losing Beverly.

The repressing is more evident in another scene, where Elliott seeks out Clair. As Clair points out that Beverly is afraid of being left alone, Elliott promtly points out "He is not alone", to which Claire replies "But he is lonely". While it the body split is openly, Elliott is beginning to realise the mind split, as he reflects to Claire "You contributed a confusing element to the Mantle brothers saga. Possibly a destructive one."

The destuctive element is shown in the stunningly beautiful composed "In the heat of the night" sequence, where Berverly is "lonely" on the sofa, while Elliott is dancing with Cary. Elliott makes Beverly dance with her, then joins them (three bodies, two souls - a polymorphous perversity also used in Stereo), then as Beverly breaks free, he gets a heart attack (which can be read as a "broken heart").

The original Siamese Twins
While Claire is away, Beverly develops more and more signs of losing his mind (as they now are totally seperated) and begins to construct "Gynological intruments for Operating on Mutant Women", as Claire is a "mutant" (she has three uturi). His drugabuse also becomes more and more evident. So Elliott decides to bring order back into their world, as he is afraid of losing not only his own mind, but also of dying.

Elliott: Oh God... Dont do this to me Bev.
Beverly: But Im only doing it to myself. Dont you have a will of your own ? Why dont you just go on with your very own life ?
Elliott: Do you remember the original siamese twins ?
Beverly: Chang and Eng. They were joined at the chest.
Elliott: Remember how they died ?
Beverly: Chang died of a stroke, in the middle of night. He was always the sickly one, he was always the one who drank to much. When Eng woke up beside him and found that his brother was dead... he died of fright... right there in the bed.
Elliott: Does that answer your question ?
Beverly: Poor Elly.
Elliott: Poor Bev.

Not only are they now so seperated, that they think of themselves as individuals (in terms of being on their own), but also so seperated, that unless they are conjoined again they will die. This scene is a forewarning of the final doom and destiny of the Mantle twins. Even as Claire returns, her presence cant save Berverly. After he kills Elliott, while under the influence of drugs performing a "operation of a mutant woman", he wakes up the next morning and is calls out for Ely. As he gets no reply, he dresses up and goes to call Claire, but she is not Elliot, so he returns to their clinic, finds Elliott dead, and dies clinging to his body. The Mantle twins are finally conjoined again - In death; Just as the original siamese twins, fullfilling the prophecy.

The importance of drugs
The use of drugs is introduced in the scene, where Beverly and Claire are having breakfast together for the first time. Claire uses drugs, and when asking Beverly if he doesnt, he answeres "I dont... Well for pain. Pain causes character distortion. It simply not nessecary."

Initially Beverly only takes drugs to enhance the sexual experience with Claire, but as thereby becomes seperated from Elliott, the drugs serve the purpose of being against pain. This complex motif reflects the character distortion the abscence of Elliott causes in Beverly, hence the pain, hence the drugs. They begin to govern his life, beautifully illustrated in a small sequence, involving Beverly in his bed (his watch and his drugs beside him); He wakes up, looks at the clock, takes the drugs. Following this sequence, we have another sequence seeing Beverly alone in his office, seeking the companionship of Claire, he goes to his drawers and takes out one of several pillcontainers.

Later on, after the heart attack and the siamese twin sequence, we learn, that now Elliott also begins to take drugs; to calm himself of the fear of losing Beverly. Initially he takes the same three drugs he gives Beverly, and keeps a diary of his use; later when being with Cary she confronts him with his abuse.

Cary: Its getting hard telling the two of you apart.
Elliott: The truth is no one can tell us apart. We are percieved as one. Ive got to get him back.
Cary: I think that is to dangerous for you. You got to stay away from him. You got to cut yourself lose.
Elliott: It wont work. Dont you get it... Whatever is in his bloodstream, goes directly into mine.
Cary: You cant be serious.
Elliott: That is an objective medical observation.
Cary: No, that is not true. Youre making it true, but its not true. You dont put these into your mouth, they dont end up in your bloodstream.
Elliott: Beverly and I just have to get syncronized. Once we are syncronized, it will be easy.

They are finally "syncronized" by drugs. In the "birthday" sequence, not only are they dressed the same (grey jackets, white boxers, black socks), their hairstyle is identicly the same and they even mimick eachothers steps and body movements.

The importance of names
I would here short reflect on the names in Dead Ringers. First of course there is the matter of Beverly, which is a female name. While its open for speculations into homosexuality and the male/female division between twins, I will not go this far. Instead I see Beverly as the core of the Mantle twins, as Elliot uses their nicknames to form it (Bev+Elly). Then there is Claire Niveau, which can be "read" as Clear New, indication a naive and unspoiled person (in regards to the "world" the Mantles live in). Finally there is Cary, which apart from being a male name, also is the person who Elliot clings to; hence she can be read as the one who carries Elliot mentally and physically (the support to his mind).

Normally names doesnt play a significant part in the works of Cronenberg, with the exception of Oblivian in Videodrome, but here there are to many wordplays to ignore them.

THE CRITERION PRESENTATION
Shot in 35mm open matte, Dead Ringers is presented in 1,66:1 (european widescreen) non 16:9 format, contra the original release format of 1,85:1. The reason is, that it is David Cronenbergs preferred framing. The transfer is stunning in its colors. Fleshtones are warm and blues, reds and black saturated.

The audio commentary by David Cronenberg, Jeremy Irons, editor Ron Sanders, production designer Carol Spier, and Peter Suschitzky, is despite jumping abit between themes and content, quite illuminating, but far from as good as the commentary on Crash.

The sound is a 2.0 stereo (original sound).

As the CC presentation has been OOP for a while, it would be nice if CC would give this masterpiece a 16:9 treatment and rerelease it into circulation.
I just experienced Dead Ringers for the first time today. It was like an amazing operatic tragedy. The music alone is stellar, but I have to say I was blown far away by Jeremy Irons performance. It's a rotten shame that the Academy didn't recognize this film in the slightest. For me, this film is indeed Cronenberg's most accessible. I just can't stand the plentiful gore that comes along with the rest of his films. To me, it's just not entertainment. But this film? It's an epic of discovery. So many times he'll throw a false cue, just to make you think you know where you're going, and he always takes you somewhere else. The experience was bliss.

TechNoir

#3 Post by TechNoir » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:59 am

Does anyone know if there was a second printing of this?

The Fanciful Norwegian

#4 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:50 am

Yes, there was. It fixed a techincal glitch of some kind on the commentary track, IIRC.

Dylan

#5 Post by Dylan » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:09 am

I enjoyed this film as well (definitely David Cronenberg's best). Jeremy Irons deserved an Oscar, Howard Shore's music was gorgeous (definitely Shore's best work), and I also enjoyed seeing the criminally underused actress Genevieve Bujold (whom I loved in De Palma's "Obsession"). I remember Henrik's detailed post from the old board, and I appreciate exte for reposting it.

Dylan

colinr0380

#6 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:27 am

exte wrote:For me, this film is indeed Cronenberg's most accessible. I just can't stand the plentiful gore that comes along with the rest of his films.
If you are not into the gore, I'd also give The Dead Zone a go.

Mr Sausage

#7 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:25 pm

Spider would do nicely; as well, Crash has no gore to speak of, although it manages to be far more offsetting than any of his gore work.

The Invunche

#8 Post by The Invunche » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:49 pm

Watch Videodrome with one eye covered.

justeleblanc

#9 Post by justeleblanc » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:57 pm

sausage,

there isn't gor in crash? why do i remember the car accident scenes to be very gory?

Brian Oblivious

#10 Post by Brian Oblivious » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:56 pm

Of course there's no gore in Fast Company or M. Butterfly either. And none to speak of in Stereo or Crimes of the Future.

Martha

#11 Post by Martha » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:00 pm

Topic please, folks. Feel free to open a general Cronenberg thread in the Old Films area, though.

godardslave

#12 Post by godardslave » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:53 pm

so there is no real gore in dead ringers?

If so ill watch it, i have been holding off as, [embarrased as i am to admit this], i am very squeamish.

Poncho Punch

#13 Post by Poncho Punch » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:34 pm

I seem to recall there being some gore in it right at the end, but i could be mistaken.

The surgical instruments for operating on mutant women always made me think up far more gruesome images than even Cronenberg could have conjured up.

Faux Hulot
Jack Of All Tirades

#14 Post by Faux Hulot » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:57 pm

godardslave wrote:so there is no real gore in dead ringers?

If so ill watch it, i have been holding off as, [embarrased as i am to admit this], i am very squeamish.
There's a couple of quick shots near the end that are fairly bloody, but they're brief and not nearly as gory as say, The Brood. Of course, that might not be saying much.

Napoleon

#15 Post by Napoleon » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:00 pm

souvenir

#16 Post by souvenir » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:36 pm

To those that have been trying to get a legitimate one of these off ebay, it can be done. I recently found one for $36 that was sealed and authentic. It even had the original thick Criterion catalog included. You just have to do some research on the seller and even ask some questions. Since the market has been saturated by bootlegs, the real ones are going for less than they were a few months ago.

rwaits

#17 Post by rwaits » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:26 am

Finally got around to watching A Zed and Two Noughts last night, and couldn't help noticing the parallels between these two films. Can't help feeling that Cronenberg borrowed (quite liberally) from this film. Don't get me wrong, Dead Ringers is my favorite Cronenberg, but can anyone else expand on the similarities?

The Fanciful Norwegian

#18 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:30 pm

These guys are obviously some real fans.

Twin Docs Accused of Switching IDs, Abusing Women

hearthesilence

#19 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:10 am

Here's a review of the new 15th anniversary edition. They mention Criterion menus, etc., and mention the same extras. It is NOT anamorphic. Disappointing perhaps, but it also suggests they may have used the same exact transfer, which to me is good news because it's better they use a good non-anamorphic transfer than a crappy anamorphic one they botched themselves (this is a label with a reputation of doing just that, no?).

Napoleon

#20 Post by Napoleon » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:20 pm

Also here. It is the same disk. And the transfer is wonderful.

BWilson

#21 Post by BWilson » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:07 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:These guys are obviously some real fans.

Twin Docs Accused of Switching IDs, Abusing Women
And the film was based on a true story as well.

The wheel goes 'round and 'round.

oldsheperd

#22 Post by oldsheperd » Tue May 31, 2005 12:40 pm

There's already a review of the new disc at dvd talk.

exte

#23 Post by exte » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:42 pm

Amazon doesn't carry the cd sountrack to this. The import crams all four soundtracks onto one disc. Any info on how I can obtain this?

ben d banana

#24 Post by ben d banana » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:28 pm

CRONENBERG WILL MAKE 'DEAD RINGERS' SERIES

Canadian filmmaker David Cronenberg has agreed to make a miniseries for HBO based on his 1988 thriller Dead Ringers.

Cronenberg, director of A History of Violence and Spider, is working on a pilot episode of the series, Variety announced Friday. He will both direct and produce.

A History of Violence caused a splash at the Toronto International Film Festival earlier this year.

Wesley Strick, writer of Doom and Cape Fear, is working on the script.

The 1998 film starred Jeremy Irons playing identical twin doctors. The more confident one seduces women, then passes them to the other brother, without the women knowing. All is going well, until the shyer of the brothers falls in love.

HBO has not announced how long the Dead Ringers series will be.

Cronenberg is now working on London Fields , based on Martin Amis's 1991 novel of the same name about a promiscuous psychic who believes she has foreseen her own murder.

blindside8zao

#25 Post by blindside8zao » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:13 pm

sounds pretty stupid to me, the show part, that is.