1211 The Runner

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

1211 The Runner

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:24 pm

TK

What A Disgrace

Re: 1211 The Runner

#2 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:42 pm

This is the one I'm most excited for from the month's slate. Pre-90s Iranian cinema used to be a blind spot for me, but every ounce of clarity I get has been immensely rewarding, and this film (and Naderi in general) have long been on my wish list.

Timec
Spencer Tracy had it coming

#3 Post by Timec » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:51 pm

Always happy to see more classic Iranian cinema get a quality release.

I attended a screening of the new restoration in DC earlier this year - it's an excellent film, and the restoration looked very good to my eyes.

Also glad to see the main child actor, Madjid Niroumand, in the extras. He did a Q&A after the screening, and he had a lot of interesting stories about his time working on the film and his life afterward.

hearthesilence

#4 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:59 pm

That was my favorite Q&A at MoMA this year - apparently Niroumand and Bruce Goldstein have built up a friendship over the course of his trips out to NYC over the years to do Q&A's for this, primarily at Film Forum as Goldstein loved the film when he first saw it and did everything he could to get it shown. Goldstein moderated the Q&A at MoMA too, even projecting some personal photos of Niroumand including the sports publication that got him discovered by Naderi, and I recall one that may have been his first visit to Film Forum when it screened the movie (he's standing outside under the marquee, and it may have been the '90s or the '00s). It's quite a trip to watch this film and then to see him all grown-up and walking down the aisle on his way to the stage.

NeoNical

#5 Post by NeoNical » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:21 am

I wasn't able to catch a screening of this film but I remember seeing the trailer for this in theaters and being really interested in it.

With that said, I believe this was a Rialto Pictures release. They have a lot of the StudioCanal titles that Lionsgate and Kino has as well. Hopefully we can see some of those titles come back in print (Diary of a Chambermaid, Diary of a County Priest, or maybe the 4K of Discreet Charm). They also have screened a few commedia all'italiana movies that I think would be well worth a Criterion release (Il Boom, Una Vita Difficile).

With some of the Kino Lorber/StudioCanal titles going OOP, I wonder if Criterion will be the next up to re-release them. Having an Emmanuelle 4K from Criterion would be a very interesting announcement to say the least!