304 The Man Who Fell to Earth

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Napier

Re: 304 The Man Who Fell to Earth

#176 Post by Napier » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:56 am

Oedipax wrote:It's kind of a bummer the bluray doesn't come with the novel like the DVD did, since I'll probably be selling my DVD copy.
I agree, as the novel was a great read to compare to what went into the film. But I could really use those two extra shelf spaces the original DVD takes up.

Oedipax

#177 Post by Oedipax » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:25 pm

swo17 wrote:Has anyone bought a copy of this with it already in a replacement case? I'm wondering if it's worth waiting to see if the copy I ordered is already in one, or if I should just order a replacement case now.
Mine came as a digipak. I don't mind them, really, but the slipcover already has a couple scuff marks fresh out of the package.

ouatitw

#178 Post by ouatitw » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:42 pm

I was pretty disappointed in the novel.

Matt

#179 Post by Matt » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:44 pm

I was pretty disappointed in your post. Could you explain what you didn't like about it, or what your expectations were that the novel didn't fulfill?

ouatitw

#180 Post by ouatitw » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:03 pm

Its been a while since I read it, but I remember it being typical cold war stuff where the aliens or something re a better fit than us or something, I need to pull it out again and refresh myself as to why I was disappointed.

the movie is far better.

CSM126

#181 Post by CSM126 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:12 pm

Funny, I'm just the opposite. I really enjoyed the novel and found the film petered out into a tedious chore by the second half. It was like just random stuff happening with no real care for the plot anymore. Of course, I must admit I only watched it once, and several years ago, so I really ought to give it a refresher watch. Might pick up the local B&N's last blu copy before it's gone.

matrixschmatrix

#182 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:36 pm

CSM126 wrote:Funny, I'm just the opposite. I really enjoyed the novel and found the film petered out into a tedious chore by the second half. It was like just random stuff happening with no real care for the plot anymore. Of course, I must admit I only watched it once, and several years ago, so I really ought to give it a refresher watch. Might pick up the local B&N's last blu copy before it's gone.
I enjoyed them both, but I'm in one of those 2001: A Space Odyssey situations where having read the book and then watched the movie, I wish I could watch the movie without having the book's reading of what's going on in my mind. There are a lot of elements that are ambiguous in the movie and clear in the book, and I don't like not being able to regain the ambiguity.

CSM126

#183 Post by CSM126 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Well, in 2001's case neither version is good so it's kind of a draw.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#184 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:08 pm

CSM126 wrote:Well, in 2001's case neither version is good so it's kind of a draw.

CSM126

#185 Post by CSM126 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:13 pm

Tedium and pointlessness, thy names be 2001: a Space Odyssey. Oh sure, the imagery is lovely but it would help if something was fucking happening that actually mattered. I can only sit and stare at random space footage and listen to HAL say what he can't do for so long before I start wondering when the story comes into it. And then it just ends. OH sure, the Star Child is mindblowing and deep if you're high, but otheriwse it's just blunt.

knives

#186 Post by knives » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:31 pm

Goofus wrote:Tedium and pointlessness, thy names be 2001: a Space Odyssey. Oh sure, the imagery is lovely but it would help if something was fucking happening that actually mattered. I can only sit and stare at random space footage and listen to HAL say what he can't do for so long before I start wondering when the story comes into it. And then it just ends. OH sure, the Star Child is mindblowing and deep if you're high, but otheriwse it's just blunt.
Gallant wrote:the difference between delivering revelation in visceral, aesthetic terms rather than as a component of the narrative. Or delivering revelation direct to the audience rather than via the characters: "I'm undergoing an unimaginable experience" rather than "that astronaut looks like he's undergoing an unimaginable experience".

Matt

#187 Post by Matt » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:19 pm

Ugh, this forum sometimes...

I never really liked The Man Who Fell to Earth (the movie) until I read the book and then I kind of understood all the ellipses in the film. I wouldn't count the book as a major piece of literature, but it definitely improved my appreciation of the film (which I still like mainly for Bowie's hair and for the set decoration).

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#188 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:43 pm

Note: I think it's all well and good to not like a movie, but being so matter of fact about something that you're way in the minority about on a thread that's not even for the movie you've decided to make an unsupported quip about is, well, douchebaggery in the 1st degree.

Feego

#189 Post by Feego » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:20 am

Napier wrote:
Oedipax wrote:It's kind of a bummer the bluray doesn't come with the novel like the DVD did, since I'll probably be selling my DVD copy.
I agree, as the novel was a great read to compare to what went into the film. But I could really use those two extra shelf spaces the original DVD takes up.
I ordered the Blu-ray a few days ago after hearing that it's going out of print and was also disappointed to see that the novel is not included. That is, until I found out the novel is still in print. Is there anything special in the Criterion edition of the novel (introduction, notes, etc.) that is not to be found in the regular edition?

bigP

#190 Post by bigP » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:47 am

Feego wrote:Is there anything special in the Criterion edition of the novel (introduction, notes, etc.) that is not to be found in the regular edition?
Nothing of note included in the Criterion release - no introduction, appreciation, notes or otherwise. The most notable difference is that the cover of the Criterion release was designed by Neil Kellerhouse for Criterion which I presume will not be available outside of the box set. Other than that, I believe the only real difference - as slight as it is - that I think you will find is that, in the Criterion release, paragraph breaks are broken up with what looks like a single black tear drop whilst the official Del Ray Books release has just a plain paragraph break.

EDIT: I'm not sure if the "tear drops" were in earlier prints of the novel, but i'm basing this upon the amazon.com "look inside" edition of the Del Ray Books release.

Feego

#191 Post by Feego » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:19 am

Thanks for the information.

j99

Re:

#192 Post by j99 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:27 pm

Ste wrote:The first, unsatisfactory, sessions for Low took place that summer at the Chateau d'Herouville, outside of Paris, before moving to Berlin. Meanwhile, The Man Who Fell to Earth also premiered over the summer of '76. So the film was already in the theatres before Low was even recorded. Bowie later sent Roeg a finished copy of Low -- released in January 1977 -- with a note that read something like "this is the sort of thing I wanted to do for the film".
I think there was only one completed track for the proposed MWFTE soundtrack and it was an early version of Subteraneans which was re-recorded for Low. Apparently Bowie just didn't get the soundtrack together in time, and there was a dispute about contracts so Roeg got John Philips instead.

Station to Station was never intended as a soundtrack but I often think it's about TMWFTE, especially the title track (the opening section is like a musical representation of Newton's first step's on Earth) And TVC 15 sounds as if it was influenced by Newton's growing obsession with television, although apparently it's based on a dream of Iggy Pop's.

Someone mentioned earlier Bowie doesn't sing in the film, well he does actually. He gives an out of tune rendition of Jerusalem in the church hall.

painted_klown

#193 Post by painted_klown » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:21 pm

Hello all. This is my first post here. New to the forum, and new to collecting Criterion films as well. :o)

I have a bit of a stupid question here... Did the Criterion BD of "The Man Who Fell to Earth" ever come with a plastic case from the factory, or were all of these sold in the digipack (cardboard) version only?

Thanks.

AtlantaFella

#194 Post by AtlantaFella » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:57 pm

painted_klown wrote:Did the Criterion BD of "The Man Who Fell to Earth" ever come with a plastic case from the factory, or were all of these sold in the digipack (cardboard) version only?
Welcome. I believe the BD was only sold in the digipack, with the plastic case available exclusively by direct order from Criterion.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#195 Post by swo17 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:48 am

Yes, and it should be added that Criterion may still have plastic cases available even though the title is long since OOP. You'd have to email mulvaney@criterion.com to find out.

painted_klown

#196 Post by painted_klown » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:36 am

Thanks for the help guys. :o)

rrenault

#197 Post by rrenault » Fri May 13, 2011 2:48 pm

It looks like there's going to be a Rialto Pictures theatrical run of The Man Who Fell to Earth later this summer.

MitchPerrywinkle

#198 Post by MitchPerrywinkle » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:00 pm

rrenault wrote:It looks like there's going to be a Rialto Pictures theatrical run of The Man Who Fell to Earth later this summer.
You are correct, sir, starting June the 24th.

I also saw this film for the first time last Summer, and I was extremely disappointed. I'd seen Walkabout and Don't Look Now, and I liked both of them quite a bit, so I was really looking forward to this film. But I think Roeg made one too many juxtapositions, one too many artistic transitions, that it got to the point of distracting from the story rather than serving it. I felt it made what should have been a relatively straightforward plot convoluted. I thought it worked in some cases (the final juxtaposition of Newton's wife and children was actually quite heartbreaking), but it left me extremely underwhelmed. Who knows, maybe I need to give the film another look (or preferably just finish the novel). But I got the DVD for less than $15 on ebay, so it's no big loss.

tartarlamb

#199 Post by tartarlamb » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:44 pm

rrenault wrote:It looks like there's going to be a Rialto Pictures theatrical run of The Man Who Fell to Earth later this summer.
Caught it last week, and it looks great. The film gets better for me every time I see it, since I think the narrative ellipses become less and less jarring. It does seem like Roeg loses focus, or maybe even control of the narrative, in the second half. But I feel the same about this film as I do about any that stars Bowie, even Just a Gigolo: no matter how flawed or bad it is, there are a lot worse ways to spend two hours than watching David Bowie.

docwhite

#200 Post by docwhite » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:08 pm

This group might be able to help me identify a TMWFTE soundtrack element that has baffled me for years.

Does anyone know the piece of music that Farnsworth begins to play on his stereo just as Newton arrives at his home for the first meeting?

It doesn't seem to be any of the Stomu Yamashta pieces often listed as part of the soundtrack. And it's not anything by John Philips or his collaborators. It sounds like contemporary jazz circa early 1970s.

Any help much appreciated.