51 Brazil

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
milk114

51 Brazil

#1 Post by milk114 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:17 am

Brazil

In the dystopic masterpiece Brazil, Jonathan Pryce plays a daydreaming everyman who finds himself caught in the soul-crushing gears of a nightmarish bureaucracy. This cautionary tale by Terry Gilliam, one of the great films of the 1980s, now ranks alongside antitotalitarian works by the likes of George Orwell, Aldous Huxley, and Kurt Vonnegut Jr. And in terms of set design, cinematography, music, and effects, Brazil, a nonstop dazzler, stands alone.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL FEATURES:

- Restored high-definition digital transfer of Terry Gilliam’s 142-minute director’s cut, supervised by Gilliam, with DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 surround soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
- Audio commentary by Terry Gilliam
- What Is “Brazil”?, a thirty-minute on-set documentary by Rob Hedden
- The Battle of “Brazil”: A Video History, a sixty-minute documentary by author and film writer Jack Mathews about the controversy surrounding the film’s release
- The “Love Conquers All” version of Brazil, a ninety-four-minute cut of the film produced by the studio in an attempt to make it more commercial, with commentary by Brazil expert David Morgan
- The Production Notebook, a collection of supplements featuring a trove of Brazil-iana from Gilliam’s personal collection: a short documentary on the screenplay, featuring interviews with screenwriters Gilliam, Charles McKeown, and Tom Stoppard; Gilliam’s storyboards for unfilmed dream sequences, animated and narrated by Morgan; visual essays on the film’s production design and special effects; a visual essay on Brazil’s costumes, narrated by costume designer James Acheson; and interviews with Gilliam and composer Michael Kamen on the score
- Trailer
- PLUS: An essay by Jack Matthews on the DVD edition and a booklet featuring an essay by film critic David Sterritt on the Blu-ray edition

Original 3-disc DVD:
Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled
New 3-disc DVD:

Single Disc DVD:

the dancing kid

51 Brazil

#2 Post by the dancing kid » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:42 am

milk114 wrote:This is the one film that every nonfilm professor I've had remembers watching and being affected by it yet haven't seen it for years. Their line is always "yeah... I wanna watch that again" despite the 15 year gap sincethey last saw it... Making this the most passed-around dvd in my collection (like a village bicycle).

This was also one of my first criterion dvds (got for christmas the same time as the newer Kubrick collection... best christmas ever!) and my guess is that BRAZIL is one of the more popular-selling of the collection. I know CC doesn't release sales reports, any idea?
This was the first Criterion I purchased as well. I don't know about the popularity of the discs themselves (it is pretty expensive), but it seems like the extremely generous treatment of the film by Criterion has helped secure it as a classic. Most of the people I know who have heard of it know it through the DVD set, and it may have been doomed to a more obscure existence without the special edition laserdisc/dvd.

This is one of my favorite director commentaries as well. Gilliam is one of the few filmmakers who is consistantly energetic and informative when speaking about his films, and his tracks are always a pleasure to listen to. The Battle for Brazil supplement is interesting, but the book by Jack Matthews goes into far more detail. You may want to check that out if you were intrigued by some of the hollywood goings-on described in the doc.

milk114

#3 Post by milk114 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:43 am

the sad thing is Ive never watched the extras... I always get an urge to watch the film itself and have only listened to the commentary once and cant remember a thing about. I just love the damn film so much, in a way I think I dont want to *spoil* the "magic" by seeing how it was made.

hammock

#4 Post by hammock » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:07 am

You should watch the commentary. It's really scary how they butchered the movie in the Love Conquers All version.

This is still my favourite movie. How Terry could predict the Plastic Surgery and Terrorism situation of today is still a mystery to me. It was the catalogue inside Brazil that made me interested in the rest of the CC releases and I sometimes wonder what would have happend if that catalogue was not included!

Fletch F. Fletch

#5 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:05 am

the dancing kid wrote:This is one of my favorite director commentaries as well. Gilliam is one of the few filmmakers who is consistantly energetic and informative when speaking about his films, and his tracks are always a pleasure to listen to. The Battle for Brazil supplement is interesting, but the book by Jack Matthews goes into far more detail. You may want to check that out if you were intrigued by some of the hollywood goings-on described in the doc.
Have you read the book chronicling the struggle Gilliam faced making Baron Munchausen? That's a good read as well.

And yes, Gilliam does some of the best commentary tracks around. Although, I think my favourite is the one he did for Criterion's The Fisher King laserdisc. I really hope it surfaces some day on DVD. At any rate, I completely agree with your enjoyment of Gilliam's commentaries... always endlessly entertaining. His voice is so engaging and there are rarely ever any lulls.

milk114

#6 Post by milk114 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:35 pm

I have listened to Gilliam's commentaries on Brazil, time Bandits and fear and loathing... just not in a while. What humors me about all three of them is Gilliam plays himself as an underdog, abused by the powers that be. He does a great job of bitching about people who didn't work with him how he wanted them to yet isn't off-putting or disrespectful about it (thinking about Sean Connery in Time Bandits not wanting to be seen getting on a horse and Kim Greist in Brazil not doing anything right).

The thing is I never get the urge to watch love conquers all version. And same here, the criterion catalogue became my new best friend (and it helped that I lived near DVDPlanet when it was Ken Cranes and they had (and have) CC separate and always on sale).

zedz

#7 Post by zedz » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:13 pm

I thoroughly recommend the Love Conquers All version. It's ghastly, but watch it with the commentary and you'll receive a new insight into just how pivotal a role editing plays in the creation of a film. Most of the changes made are pretty subtle (trimming a character here; using a medium shot rather than a long shot there), but they add up to deliver a completely different experience (diametrically opposed to Gilliam's vision) which, as the commentator is at pains to point out, actually has its own internal logic. It's a really useful, functional commentary, almost entirely devoted (as I recall) to the minutiae of the studio's interference and the way these changes contribute to the editor's / producer's 'vision' of the film.

I don't think I could bear to watch this version sans commentary, however.

Fletch F. Fletch

#8 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:26 pm

milk114 wrote:I have listened to Gilliam's commentaries on Brazil, time Bandits and fear and loathing... just not in a while. What humors me about all three of them is Gilliam plays himself as an underdog, abused by the powers that be. He does a great job of bitching about people who didn't work with him how he wanted them to yet isn't off-putting or disrespectful about it (thinking about Sean Connery in Time Bandits not wanting to be seen getting on a horse and Kim Greist in Brazil not doing anything right).
I always get the feeling that Gilliam isn't really happy unless he's up against some kind of interference. I think he thrives and feeds off of that kind of stuff. Being old enough to remember and be a part of the '60s counter-culture movement, he loves to still think he's sticking it to the man or getting something subversive by the powers that be. You get this vibe on all of his tracks--esp. Fear and Loathing, for obvious reasons.

BWilson

#9 Post by BWilson » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:44 pm

milk114 wrote:How Terry could predict the Plastic Surgery and Terrorism situation of today is still a mystery to me.
He probably "predicted" it by looking out the window. Terrorism and plastic surgery have existed for a long time.

hammock

#10 Post by hammock » Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:08 am

I don't know where you live with that view from your window, but I only see green grass and my cat from my window - even today.

I know that both things were present at the time of the shooting of Brazil - I'm not stupid - but those things were not the top of my list of things that would make the headlines in a future society. I guess this depends where in the world one is located, as Denmark is pretty far from anything that has to do with terror, exept the "20" men we currently have in Irak supporting the US troops.

bunuelian

#11 Post by bunuelian » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:51 pm

Well Northern Ireland was a big deal then, but (this according to an English friend of mine, fwiw) it didn't really affect people living outside of Northern Ireland. I think that's the point of the restaurant scene - the wealthy classes acting as though nothing is wrong even when mayhem and death are literally happening at their feet. Of course there are a lot more ways to interpret this, especially within the context of the film.

Now it might resonate with American audiences in a slightly different way than it did back in the 80's (there may be more people who think the terrorists are bad guys, for instance).

Just off the top of my head, the plastic surgery motif appeared in Logan's Run (1976), so I wouldn't get too excited about Brazil's prophetic qualities on that front.

"The acid man?"

zedz

#12 Post by zedz » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:59 pm

The USA may have been relatively unscathed by terrorism until the last few years, but it was rife throughout Europe in the 1970s. Mainstream and unavoidable - just take a look at The Third Generation, Stammheim (now there's a Criterion contender) or the documentaries One Day in September or Black Box Germany. In Britain in the 70s and 80s it was impossible not to be painfully aware of the situation in Northern Ireland, and there were plenty of British filmmakers addressing this topic (e.g. Mike Leigh, Neil Jordan, Alan Clarke).

But let's not forget that the 'terrorists' in Brazil are the heroes, and the real forces of evil are the oppressive government - an impeccably eighties notion given all the hoohah about the fulfillment or not of Orwell's supposed 'prophecy'. Such dystopian visions were so common in that decade you even found hints of them in E.T.

Although Brazil is inflected with the European terrorism of the 70s and 80s, I think its political situation can be far more straightforwardly derived from 1984: it's so transparently Gilliam's sideways reimagining of that (extremely topical) novel that I wouldn't be surprised if he had originally hoped to film it until he found out about Radford's version.

solaris72

#13 Post by solaris72 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:27 pm

According to Gilliam, he'd never read 1984.

Narshty

#14 Post by Narshty » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:05 pm

Not sure how many folks are interested in this, but here's the original announcement from Criterion's Summer 1993 LD catalogue for Brazil that pissed off Universal and initially caused them to cancel the licencing arrangement because it wasn't yet a done deal (the disc ended up being delayed and revised for another three years):
BRAZIL: DIRECTOR APPROVED

Combining American and European versions of the film with previously
unreleased material, Terry Gilliam's new cut of the most celebrated cult
film of the 1980's was created exclusively for Criterion. Starring Jonathan
Pryce, Bob Hoskins, and Robert De Niro, BRAZIL's vision of a bureaucratic
hell set in the near future achieves a classic blend of lyrical fantasy and
potent social commentary.

BRAZIL is one of the year's hottest titles. This Criterion edition features:
o New widescreen digital video transfer
o Audio commentary by Terry Gilliam, co-writer Tom Stoppard, and others
o Complete production history written by noted author Jack Matthews, with
production photos and storyboards
o Cast and crew video interviews
o Detail comparison of different versions of the film
o Surprises from Gilliam's personal collection of materials

CAV 3 discs $124.95

exte

#15 Post by exte » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:52 am

I fail to understand how this could directly offend Universal. Was it merely because they were hyping a director's cut? I really don't get it...

Narshty

#16 Post by Narshty » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:09 am

Well, Criterion hadn't yet closed the deal with Universal before announcing the title with full specs, nor had they finalised the actual use of the extra footage needed for the director's cut, so Universal thought they were taking serious liberties and called off the arrangement.

BWilson

#17 Post by BWilson » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:59 pm

I don't think it had anything to do with anything specificly said in that announcement, but rather the fact that there was an anouncement. The deal wasn't solid yet and Criterion was already hyping it.

Anyway, it may have taken 3 more years but they sure added a lot more supplements.

colinr0380

#18 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:01 am

I'd agree that it was probably the early announcement that might have caused the trouble. It is interesting to read the announcement though - "surprises from Gilliam's personal collection of materials" might have caused them to balk, perhaps they were wondering what he had! It is interesting that the commentary on the initial release is by Gilliam, Tom Stoppard and 'others', and on the final release just Gilliam. Could this be a case of Universal 'Streisand-ing' the initial release, or just a change due to the inclusion of other peoples contributions in the documentaries in the final release (as for example I can understand how the detailed comparison changed into the full alternate version with commentary)

justeleblanc

#19 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:19 pm

Does anyone know if Criterion plans to re-release Brazil so it's anamorphic? I've emailed JM but he hasn't responded.

hearthesilence

#20 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:32 pm

zedz wrote:The USA may have been relatively unscathed by terrorism until the last few years, but it was rife throughout Europe in the 1970s. Mainstream and unavoidable - just take a look at The Third Generation, Stammheim (now there's a Criterion contender) or the documentaries One Day in September or Black Box Germany. In Britain in the 70s and 80s it was impossible not to be painfully aware of the situation in Northern Ireland, and there were plenty of British filmmakers addressing this topic (e.g. Mike Leigh, Neil Jordan, Alan Clarke).

But let's not forget that the 'terrorists' in Brazil are the heroes, and the real forces of evil are the oppressive government - an impeccably eighties notion given all the hoohah about the fulfillment or not of Orwell's supposed 'prophecy'. Such dystopian visions were so common in that decade you even found hints of them in E.T.

Although Brazil is inflected with the European terrorism of the 70s and 80s, I think its political situation can be far more straightforwardly derived from 1984: it's so transparently Gilliam's sideways reimagining of that (extremely topical) novel that I wouldn't be surprised if he had originally hoped to film it until he found out about Radford's version.
Yeah, Gilliam mentions in the commentary how the terrorist attacks were inspired by the IRA bombings at the time, which he said were becoming more frequent and almost surreal because people would go about their business right after they occurred, or something like that. I'm not sure if it reflects the climate in the U.S. right now, as we've had relatively few terrorist attacks within the U.S. - including the OK bombing and the previous WTC bombing - and none since 9/11/2001 - and the reaction to it has been different - Iraq, political polarization replacing apathy, campaigning on fear/paranoia, etc.

I was surprised to hear Gilliam say he never read 1984 (at least before Brazil), and wondered if he ever absorbed key points of the novel through its ubiquitous pop culture presence - I knew about most of the book before I ever read it myself.

Anyway, I can't knock Brazil for the obvious but superficial similarities to 1984, just as I can't knock 1984 for any similarities to Chaplin's Modern Times. There's still plenty in Brazil that's very inspired and original.

BTW, yeah, I would LOVE Criterion to re-do this in anamorphic. I hope Universal makes it easy for them, too.

The one big downer about the Criterion set - the crappy transfer for the butchered version. I know it's a crime, and the crappy transfer as a reflection of people's contempt for it is amusing, but it really should be presented in a decent transfer. Don't bother with restoration or anything, find a good print, set it up, and let 'er rip.

oldsheperd

#21 Post by oldsheperd » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:42 pm

Wasn't on my Criterion want list, but I picekd up a used copy of this yesterday for 25 bucks. Couldn't pass it up.

hearthesilence

#22 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:09 pm

Interesting article on the mixing of Criterion's Brazil from a trade mag, MIX Magazine:

"BRAZIL" ON DVD: Criterion reintroduces the 1985 cult favorite

Rick Clark

Big-time recording artists receive the box-set treatment from record labels, but it takes quite a movie to receive the same level of attention. The Criterion Collection, a New York-based company that has a penchant for presenting high-quality editions of off-centered cult flicks, felt that Brazil was that kind of movie, one whose fans would search for everything related to the project.

When released in 1985, Terry Gilliam's brutal, darkly humorous epic brought viewers into State employee Sam Lowry's (Jonathan Pryce) desperate, fantastical dreams and pursuit of self-identity in an upside-down Orwellian Bizarro world. Nearly 15 years later, it remains a fixture on the art-house circuit and a favorite in the rental world.

Criterion started work on a five-laserdisc set of the movie in 1993 and then went into a three-year hiatus to work out some studio and rights issues. It finally came out on laserdisc in 1996.

"We thought that we were going to be able to put the disc out, but then MCA put the kibosh on it, and so the movie languished for many years," says Michael Wiese, audio coordinator for the Brazil project. "For years, fans of the movie kept calling up, and we could've created a full-time job for someone to do nothing but deflect perturbed potential consumers."

Now, the three-DVD set features the "final final" directorial vision of the movie, as well as a documentary (The Battle of Brazil) that showcases the legal battles Gilliam had with universal at the time. The set also features the "Love Conquers All" syndicated television version, which includes all the edits that Gilliam refused to make. There are also loads of arcane bits that true fans will love.

"One of the things that I think is most extraordinary about this release is its completeness," says Criterion President Peter Becker. "The fact that there was a big story to tell, and that everybody we needed to hear from agreed to be part of the release, was very exciting. It took a long time."

The sound for Brazil was mixed from the 35mm Dolby Stereo magnetic tracks. The re-recording mixer on the original release was Paul Carr II, who also did The Meaning of Life and The Fisher King with Gilliam. Rodney Glenn was credited as sound editor, Bob Doyle as sound recordist; and Rosie Straker was boom operator. Michael Kamen composed the score.

"This is the Director Approved Edition, and Terry was satisfied with the original Lt/Rt, and that is what really matters," says Wiese. "The master for the laserdisc is a D2 videotape. We also use Digi Beta for our DVD masters. They are both very high-quality formats."

In the case of creating the "final" final master, where Gilliam pieced together elements from various versions of the movie, Criterion had to go to some extra effort to find some missing audio.

"When Terry made the original movie, there was a short scene that he decided to lose before the European premiere," says film transfer producer Karen Stetler. "Later, he regretted cutting it out, and he liked it, so we had to dig up the footage for that scene. As it turned out, that scene was still in the camera negative that was in London. So we went out to the lab where the camera negative was stored and looked at the negative, and there it was sitting right there, which was great. The only thing about it was that we didn't have the audio to match it."

After calling around to unearth the matching audio elements to the scene, Gilliam and Stetler found a 1-inch video master someone had made of a version that featured the deleted scene.

Converting Brazil's dynamic audio tracks to 5.1 was never discussed, as the idea of undertaking such a mix would've been almost impossible since the multitracks from the various versions of the film were not all accounted for.

"We wouldn't have been able to cut back and forth between what I would've found for the American and European versions. There are a lot of cuts, and many of them were significant," says Criterion transfer supervisor and DVD quality control guru Maria Palazzola. "We just went Lt/Rt, because we could find the Lt/Rt for the different versions and made it a clean edit in and out of the different versions."

Even if the multitracks had been readily available, keeping the film in sync with the way the director meant to present it at its release is the philosophical position that Criterion follows.

"If you are using the stereo surrounds just for the sake of using the stereo surrounds, it can sound kind of gimmicky," says Wiese. "I don't think that is really going to add to the value of the re-release, unless it is being done for a real reason. We felt that the mixes that existed were very good. [It was mixed by Paul Carr originally]. It is representative of the period, and it shows what mag can do, and that it is still a very viable medium."

Criterion excels at commentary, which is painstakingly assembled through many hours of interviews and subsequent edits. For Brazil, Gilliam provides loads of detailed observations on everything from the symbolism of Lowry's dreams to ideas that were attempted and not included.

"Building a commentary is really like doing a crossword puzzle," says Wiese. "You have several comments that are very scene-specific. You know they have to be in there, and you lay those in and really try to fit in all of the other points around them, much like a crossword puzzle. It all has to make a kind of linear sense, and it has to fit into the picture. It is tricky."

The commentary, which was originally recorded for the laserdisc version in the early '90s, was recorded on DAT with cassette backups. As it turned out, there were problems with the DAT, so the cassette commentary was used and dumped into Deck II, which was then directly laid back into the D2 master.

"Deck II was popular right before Pro Tools was getting going. It was a great little program, as long as you didn't need more than a couple of tracks," Wiese laughs.

"When it came time for Criterion to do the DVD edition, all of the laserdisc master elements were loaded into a Pro Tools|24 system, where they were carefully evaluated by Ken Hansen, Will Salas and Heather Shaw," states Wiese. "They went through the audio tracks with a fine-toothed comb, and the necessary adjustments were made at this point, including some very gentle noise reduction and spot fixes in a CEDAR system. The original elements were solid, and the work that we did was very subtle."

"The movie was in great shape," Wiese concludes. "Obviously, you don't want to add artifacting for restoration processes if you don't need to do that. Every restoration is going to introduce its own anomalies and coloration, certainly. So if you don't have to use it, don't for God's sake. The shortest distance between any two points is going to be the cleanest. We don't want to do additional processing, unless we have to. If things can be done right from the get-go at the telecine stage, that saves you a lot of aggravation after the fact. If you can get a nice clean transfer, that is what it is all about."

Taketori Washizu

#23 Post by Taketori Washizu » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:50 am

Any chance of Criterion re-releasing Brazil in an anamorphic transfer with 5.1 sound? Also a redo of Time Bandits would be nicely appreciated.

Jun-Dai
監督

#24 Post by Jun-Dai » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:43 pm

Based on their behavior in the past, there's no indication that Criterion would do this. All of their rereleases have been due to a major restoration effort, an unimpressive original release, and/or a temporary lapse in the rights. Given that Brazil still remains one of the most impressive DVD releases thus far, it seems unlikely that Criterion would come around to Brazil again until at such point as they temporary lose the rights to the title, or begin the collection anew on a new format.

Kirkinson

#25 Post by Kirkinson » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:31 pm

And a re-do of Time Bandits is even less likely than Brazil now that Anchor Bay re-did theirs (and the transfer is excellent).