51 Brazil

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
arsonfilms

#101 Post by arsonfilms » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:44 pm

I believe the question at hand is not so much whether or not anyone recieved older copies, but whether or not the new copies are in fact new, or if the old DLTs were used by mistake. Of course the packaging is new, and since the date on the label says 2006 the printing is new, but the contents of the disc are what I'm not wholly positive of.

ALL of the reviews posted for the release have been the single disc version. If anything is at all wrong with any of it, it would be the ENTIRELY UNREVIEWED 3-disc version that would be the problem.

So. Anyone with a widescreen TV popped the 3-disc version in yet?

Cinesimilitude

#102 Post by Cinesimilitude » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:01 am

non anamorphic serial numbers on movie disc...

Layer 1: FR RA1001.1.A VB01

Layer 2: FR RA1001.1.B VC01 (written backwards)

PfR73

#103 Post by PfR73 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:34 am

I just bought the 3-disc set tonight. My first disc IS DEFINITELY 1.78:1 ANAMORPHIC and the transfer is stunning.

I also did not receive the essay booklet.

arsonfilms

#104 Post by arsonfilms » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:38 am

Wonderful news. My fears have been relieved.

Has anyone tried emailing Lipson or Mulvaney about the booklet yet?

Anonymous

#105 Post by Anonymous » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:16 am

i contacted both tech support and jon mulvaney yesterday. they've probably been deluged with e-mails about this.
no response yet. i wonder, if we're patient enough, do you think they might eventually mail booklets out separately? that's just random speculation though, i guess, since criterion only sell certain things directly (i.e. i understand they have a criterion shop online now).
i've skimmed the movie. i suspected that it was the new transfer because i looked at dvd beaver. then i watched the part where the squashed fly falls in the type writer. i thought it looked very crisp and more like the re-mastered print, but i still wasn't positive.
i was also going to go to a relative's tomorrow that has a widescreen tv. i planned on taking my "an angel at my table" dvd and comparing them, since they both say 1.78:1. i still might do it.
so i feel a little better now though.

Matt

#106 Post by Matt » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:35 am

krb83 wrote:i contacted both tech support and jon mulvaney yesterday. they've probably been deluged with e-mails about this.
no response yet.
You realize it's Sunday, don't you?

Le Samouraï

#107 Post by Le Samouraï » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:06 pm

It should be pretty easy for people without 16:9 sets to check whether their discs in fact are anamorphic. Just set the output of your player to 16:9 instead of 4:3 letterbox. If the disc is indeed anamorphic, and your tv set isn't able to handle an anamorphic signal, the picture will look distorted. If the disc is only authored in 4:3 letterbox, the picture would look normal even though the player is set for 16:9.

ugobo

#108 Post by ugobo » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:07 pm

Same here.No booklet included in case 51.1. I e-mailed Mr.Lipson about this asking explanation about the reissue and to send a replacement booklet. I have a 16:9 tv set but did'nt had time to check it out yet. But i read in the other forum from a poster that the tranfer was indeed anamorphic. What a little mess...

leefarber

#109 Post by leefarber » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:31 pm

My single disc edition did indeed have the booklet. It is virtually identical to the booklet found in 51.1 of the original 3-disc version, with slight variations in printing and a new description of the transfer.

hearthesilence

#110 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:16 pm

A shame, but I'm sure the booklet problem can be easily fixed. Plus, if one is dying to read the essay right this minute, I think it's online....It could be a lot worse.

As for the transfer, MAN, does this look incredible. I was okay with the letterbox image before, but once you're spoiled by this new anamorphic transfer, I don't think you can even tolerate the old one. (Unless you don't have a widescreen TV, in which case, the difference won't be so dramatic.)

manicsounds

#111 Post by manicsounds » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:31 am

My single disc also came with a booklet, from amazon. No problem here.

soma

#112 Post by soma » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:53 am

Feel very lucky in that I never got around to purchasing Brazil in the past. Time to order the new anamorphic 3 disc set 8-)

Also glad that Criterion kept the former packaging for the box set. A friend of mine has the previous release and it's stunning. It would have been a shame to lose that in lieu of a digipack, etc.

manicsounds

#113 Post by manicsounds » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:18 pm

What's the region coding now?

I know the old 3 disc set was Region Free.
The new 1 dsc I got was coded for Region 1.
How about the bonus discs in the new set?

kekid

#114 Post by kekid » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:59 am

I used the link provided on the other thread to request Criterion to ship the missing booklet. I have got no response. Any communication left at the Muvaney address remains unanswered. What is the best way to communicate to Criterion to confirm that they received the request?

justeleblanc

#115 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:33 pm

kekid wrote:I used the link provided on the other thread to request Criterion to ship the missing booklet. I have got no response. Any communication left at the Muvaney address remains unanswered. What is the best way to communicate to Criterion to confirm that they received the request?
becker@criterion.com ?

manicsounds

#116 Post by manicsounds » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:05 pm

As I know, people have been receiving the replacements, and Criterion hasnt been sending emails back.

TheGodfather

#117 Post by TheGodfather » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:57 am

Haven`t received an as well. Does anyone maybe how long it might take for the booklet to arrive? Or how long before they ship out?

Gigi M.

#118 Post by Gigi M. » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:29 am

Well, since you're in The Netherlands, I suggest you provide them US address since they don't ship overseas. In my case, my forwarding mail is in Miami, 2 hours away from my country, The Dominican Republic. I usually get my packages on the same day.

TheGodfather

#119 Post by TheGodfather » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:13 am

Gigi M. wrote:
TheGodfather wrote:Haven`t received an as well. Does anyone maybe how long it might take for the booklet to arrive? Or how long before they ship out?
Well, since you're in The Netherlands, I suggest you provide them US address since they don't ship overseas.
thanks for the advice but that ain`t gonna work since I don`t have a US adress #-o
so now what? that kinda sucks and ain`t fair, really :x

Le Samouraï

#120 Post by Le Samouraï » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:07 pm

You could ask the place where you bought it to try and get a booklet for you. That has worked for me before in similar situations. It all depends on the company, some are very willing to help you out, getting replacements for you or letting you use their company address as return address, others are not. The latter ones mostly seem to be the larger companies like CD-Wow.

TheGodfather

#121 Post by TheGodfather » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:54 am

yeah I was thinking about that myself. Last time they (dvdpacific) were very helpful in sending out replacing booklets and postcards. So I might give it a try :D

thebedbreakinkid

#122 Post by thebedbreakinkid » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:33 am

quick question, was the name of sam's apartment, the shangri-la towers, suppose to be making fun of the girl group, or is it just a name used without any parody intended?

Kirkinson

#123 Post by Kirkinson » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:45 am

thebedbreakinkid wrote:quick question, was the name of sam's apartment, the shangri-la towers, suppose to be making fun of the girl group, or is it just a name used without any parody intended?
I'm pretty certain it's a direct reference to the utopian valley in James Hilton's Lost Horizon without referring to anyone or anything else that used the name.

justeleblanc

#124 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:28 am

I would be it's more of a reference to the myth of shangri-la in general, or in lost horizons.

arsonfilms

#125 Post by arsonfilms » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:48 pm

I'm getting a little iritated - I still haven't recieved the Brazil booklet from the new box set, even though I got my nifty new Rohmer box. Anyone else still without, or should I try emailing again?