1202 Lone Star

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

1202 Lone Star

#1 Post by swo17 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:45 pm

Lone Star

A keen observer of America's social fabric, writer-director John Sayles uncovers the haunted past buried beneath a small Texas border town in this sprawling neowestern mystery. When a skeleton is discovered in the desert, lawman Sam Deeds (Chris Cooper), son of a legendary local sheriff, begins an investigation that will have profound implications both for him personally and for all of Rio County, a place still reckoning with its history of racial violence. Sayles's masterful film—novelistic in its intricacy and featuring a brilliant ensemble cast, including Joe Morton, Elizabeth Peña, and Kris Kristofferson—quietly subverts national mythmaking and lays bare the fault lines of life at the border.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED 4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director John Sayles and director of photography Stuart Dryburgh, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
• One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
• New conversation between Sayles and filmmaker Gregory Nava
• New interview with Dryburgh
• Trailer
• English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• PLUS: An essay by scholar Domino Renee Perez

therewillbeblus

Re: 1202 Lone Star

#2 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:14 pm

Without knowing the extent of those two interviews yet, this seems like a puzzlingly light release. The significance of so many zeitgeist-y topics (America's politically corrupt history, racism, Mexican-American relations, immigration, etc.) are so loudly present throughout the film, you'd think Criterion would've put together more focused academic contextual extras

ryannichols7

#3 Post by ryannichols7 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:17 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:14 pm
Without knowing the extent of those two interviews yet, this seems like a puzzlingly light release. The significance of so many zeitgeist-y topics (America's politically corrupt history, racism, Mexican-American relations, immigration, etc.) are so loudly present throughout the film, you'd think Criterion would've put together more focused academic contextual extras
with these announcements (a really great slate of films, I must add), it's basically confirmed to me that Criterion is essentially done with scholarly extras, particularly on films by living directors. at this point I'm just really done expecting them and will try and just my expectations. surprises like The Trial and the Tod Browning set can crop up here and elsewhere, but they are just clearly no longer interested for the most part

yoloswegmaster

#4 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:23 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
It entirely possible that Sayles dislikes that sort of thing considering the fact that there are no academic extras on the Matewan releaae that focuses on the actual event.

jazzo

#5 Post by jazzo » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:37 pm

I was hoping for more, as well, given how long this title has been worked on and, really, how significant it remains, not only in Sayles' filmography, but in the American independent cinema movement of the 90s. Fingers-crossed, it's like the Criterion release of Something Wild, which was also significantly light on the quantity of extras, but substantial in the depth and quality of its one or two special features.

The Narrator Returns

#6 Post by The Narrator Returns » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:51 pm

More than anything, if I were queen of Criterion, I would've packaged this with Sayles' other two "city" movies, City of Hope and Sunshine State, all masterpieces on their own that combine to tell a single extraordinary story of the stasis and violent contradictions of American life. But if this was all they could muster for a movie as beloved and important as Lone Star, I worry they wouldn't be interested in helping people rediscover the lesser-known (but equally great) corners of Sayles' oeuvre.

jazzo

#7 Post by jazzo » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:41 pm

Agreed. Especially since the last time City of Hope was released on physical media, you had to remember to be kind and rewind it. Great fucking movie, though.

jazzo

#8 Post by jazzo » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:44 pm

Also a huge fan of Limbo. And Passion Fish.

And Sayles, I guess, if anyone feels like pushing me to answer.

beamish14

#9 Post by beamish14 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:49 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Doesn’t WB’s flipper DVD from over 25 years ago include a commentary, like virtually all of his other films? God, what a disappointing list of features

I saw Gregory Nava interview Lara Esquivel at a screening of Like Water for Chocolate; god help us if that was a display of his interviewing prowess at its peak

DeprongMori

#10 Post by DeprongMori » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:36 pm

As unfortunately sparse as the supplements apparently are for Criterion’s Lone Star, at least I can finally upgrade my ancient DVD which only has a trailer.

I will admit though that Criterion’s stripping down their releases as bare-bones as they can get away with has me preferentially buying UK releases when available (usually a year or so ahead of the US release). Occasionally, Criterion will release a more compelling package — I’m considering replacing my StudioCanal 4K of The Trial for example.

M Sanderson

#11 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:09 pm

glad this multi faceted drama is finally announced, and in 4k as well. my favourite Sayles. Remembering McConaughey displaying mesmerising early promise (something he'd come back to considerably late with True Detective & Killer Joe), an impressive turn by Kristofferson, as well as many more distinctive performers in its ensemble.

I remember this release being teased long ago, around the time I heard Pat Garrett was in the works. Wondering how much closer we are to seeing that one (thinking a more comprehensive type of release), and if it would end up as a Blu ray or 4k?

sabbath

#12 Post by sabbath » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:47 am

Anyone who can shed light on if the English SDH on the 4K disc aren't too bright? I'd love to order this from the upcoming flash sale, but the scorching subs on The Last Picture Show 4K makes me hesitant to blind buy (no pun intended) newer CC 4Ks:
sabbath wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:07 am
Criterion botched the English SDH on The Last Picture Show 4K by making their color pure white before applying HDR. So when you turn on HDR, those subtitles shine blindingly bright, making it almost impossible to concentrate on the rest of the image. Some Kino Lorber 4Ks have the same issue, but this is the first time I saw it on a Criterion 4K.

For the record, The Last Picture Show 4K discs (both the theatrical cut and director's cut) in the Columbia Classics Collection Vol.3 box set are okay.