574 Life During Wartime

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

574 Life During Wartime

#1 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:57 pm

Life During Wartime

Image Image

In Life During Wartime, independent filmmaker Todd Solondz explores contemporary American existence and the nature of forgiveness with his customary dry humor and queasy precision. The film functions as a distorted mirror image of Solondz’s acclaimed 1998 dark comedy Happiness, its emotionally stunted characters now groping for the possibility of change in a post-9/11 world. Happiness’s grim New Jersey setting is transposed to sunny Florida, but the biggest twist is that new actors fill the roles originated in the earlier film—including Shirley Henderson, Allison Janney, and Ally Sheedy as alarmingly dissimilar sisters, and Ciarán Hinds hauntingly embodying a reformed pedophile. Shot in expressionistic tones by cinematographer extraordinaire Ed Lachman, Solondz’s film finds the humor in the tragic and the tragic in the everyday.

Disc Features

- New digital transfer, supervised and approved by director of photography Ed Lachman (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
- Ask Todd, an audio Q&A with director Todd Solondz in which he responds to viewers’ questions
- Making “Life During Wartime,” a new documentary featuring interviews with actors Shirley Henderson, Allison Janney, Michael Lerner, Paul Reubens, Ally Sheedy, and Michael Kenneth Williams, and on-set footage of the actors and crew
- New video piece in which Lachman discusses his work on the film
- Original theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic David Sterritt

DVD
Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled
Blu-ray
Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

ianungstad

Re: Life During Wartime (Todd Solondz, 2010)

#2 Post by ianungstad » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:27 am

mfunk9786 wrote:Making a thread for this film mainly as a way to try to stave off my anticipation and trepidation regarding it. Todd Solondz has received a fair dose of criticism for retreading the same ground in each of his films, and I feel he made a major misstep by not further editing his script for the incredibly uneven Storytelling before getting it made, as it was certainly his most commercial film and the one for which he could have gotten the most positive attention. I've never seen a filmmaker with this sort of masochism. He continues to explore the same characters (literally) in various situations and ages, only portrayed by different actors - and he doesn't seem to be phased by any of the lack of commercial success that a polarizing and bizarre film like Palindromes brings. He almost seems to revel in it, but he strikes me in interviews as having a bit of bitterness over his own inner refusal to let himself do anything remotely commercial with his work. In my opinion, Welcome to the Dollhouse and Happiness are very good films, followed up by bizarre mini-failures with moments of filmmaking glory - but somehow, even with that pretty nice resume, Solondz figures out a way to completely drop off of everyone's radar until a film like this comes out of nowhere. And surprise surprise - it's an unusual sequel to Happiness, only with other actors reinterpreting the characters that were so perfectly portrayed in the original, over two-hour film.

I haven't seen this film yet, but looking at some early reviews and the trailer, I can't help but wonder why Solondz has taken the risk of making this film at this point in his career. As curious as I am to see, say, Ciarán Hinds reinterpret Dylan Baker's disturbing but strangely enjoyable role from Happiness, I sort of don't want to have to sit through what feels to me (and again, this is just my interpretation at this point) like Solondz dipping his toe in the water, seeing if anyone's still paying attention to what he has to offer. I'll be seeing this though, eventually - and I was wondering if anyone here has already seen it, and who is or isn't anticipating it.

Also, could I just say that I have a load of contempt for the limousine liberal title of this film? I'm getting to the point that I'd like the troops to be sent home not only for their safety, but also so we don't have to see films, albums, songs, art exhibits, etc - saddled with pretentious titles like this.
Most of the reviews that I've read for Life During Wartime have been very positive. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

While Storytelling has it's problems, how much of that was due to Solondz? If I remember correctly there were major problems between Solondz and Lionsgate over final cut. He had been contractually obligated to provide an R rated film, the MPAA slapped an NC-17 on the picture and a number of scenes had to be cut or censored. (The whole storyline with the closeted high school jock was excised from the film)

The film that I really feel conflicted with is Palindromes. I don't think the multiple actresses in the lead role worked out all that well. It's a bold idea...but there was something that went wrong in the execution in which it seemed like a stunt rather than contributing to the film thematically.

Welcome to the Dollhouse and Happiness are both fantastic films. If Solondz would be willing to do special editions, I'd like to see Criterion tackle Welcome to the Dollhouse. I hope they fit in a screening of Life During Wartime and give it some real consideration as well.

I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. I doubt I'll have the chance to see it in the theater. Will have to figure out how to watch it "on demand".

knives

#3 Post by knives » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:16 am

Will be getting to this one in about two weeks and I have the same level of anticipation. I'm really curious what is going on in that man's head. Also I don't think that title should be interrupted literally. It probably has more to do with the song, which ties into the movie I don't know how, than in the present political situation.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:49 am

I think I'm coming from a similar place (and gather that most people are), as I loved Solondz's first two features (especially Happiness) but was frustrated to varying degrees by the two follow ups. Well, Life During Wartime may not be a complete return to form, and it's not without its flaws, but I'll be damned if I didn't find myself grinning from ear to ear throughout most of it. (What that says about me, I'll leave for others to decide.) At times, it perhaps cribs too much from Happiness (i.e. the soundtrack, an awkward line or two like "I'm sorry I said you were shit and I was champagne") but I suppose as a sequel it has every right to retread old territory to some extent.

Completely recasting the leads turns out to be a brilliant move though, as it succeeds both on the experimental narrative level that Palindromes toyed with and as a means to explore the themes of this particular film. And it's the latter that really makes the film worthwhile, I think. As much as I like many of these characters (or am I not supposed to like them?) I wouldn't say that Happiness left me with a compelling need to catch up with them twelve years later. But this is not really what the film is about, and recasting all of the roles is the first clue of this. Rather, we are presented with these characters--complete with the largely despicable back stories that we witnessed in the first film--but these new faces are distanced from their pasts, just as we all are constantly making small moves away from the people we once were, or perhaps more tellingly, from the choices we once made. It is difficult to associate Hoffman or Baker's past crimes with the new actors that Solondz has cast (Michael K. Williams!), but I think this is perhaps how he would have us view the world. As forgiving as we are as a society of certain behaviors, there is still a stigma attached to certain others (perhaps rightly, perhaps not) which come to define the people who have perpetrated them (the film specifically brings up pedophiles and terrorists). There are no easy answers here, and though Solondz may falter slightly in how he poses some of the questions, the film remains fascinating and relevant, not just as a curious addendum to one of the best films of the '90s, but as a worthy (if not quite as masterful) companion piece, and it's the freshest thing he's done in more than a decade.

P.S. The title of the film reminded me more of the Talking Heads song of the same name than of the actual wars of the past decade. Like in Happiness, Joy has a song with that title, and it's only really "limousine liberal" in the sense that it's making fun of that sort of thing. There is also, if I remember correctly, a good line where Helen brings up the war, of course making it all about her.
Last edited by swo17 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#5 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:18 am

Well there you go! Thanks for the interpretation of the film and the title, swo.

Roger Ryan

#6 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:00 am

If it helps at all, the TALKING HEADS song is not really about living during wartime, but a sardonic description of American life circa 1979, after the prosperity of the post-WWII years has dissipated leaving abandoned city centers and a consumer culture blindly searching to purchase an identity ("I've changed my hairstyle so many times now I don't know what I look like"). Not too different from where we're at now...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#7 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:18 am

Sorry, I guess I'm just pretty sensitive at this point to the unbelievable amount of war refrences in bourgeoisie art in the last decade or so. It's just increasingly frustrating to, as swo gave an example from the film, see the people who are least affected by something so serious constantly bring it up as something that drives their work.

I guess I made some unnecessary assumptions by bringing out that opinion in relation to this film.

colinr0380

#8 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:31 pm

I linked the Glenn Kenny piece on the Artificial Eye thread, but it more properly belongs in this thread for the film.
swo17 wrote:Rather, we are presented with these characters--complete with the largely despicable back stories that we witnessed in the first film--but these new faces are distanced from their pasts, just as we all are constantly making small moves away from the people we once were, or perhaps more tellingly, from the choices we once made. It is difficult to associate Hoffman or Baker's past crimes with the new actors that Solondz has cast (Michael K. Williams!), but I think this is perhaps how he would have us view the world. As forgiving as we are as a society of certain behaviors, there is still a stigma attached to certain others (perhaps rightly, perhaps not) which come to define the people who have perpetrated them (the film specifically brings up pedophiles and terrorists).
I think that is one of the main themes, and the thing which relates this new film just as much to Palindromes as to Happiness. It seems a lot about whether the physical aspect of a person (race, gender, age, and so on) affects perception of their acts, and whether someone is allowed to move on from them or remains tied into the consequences of them, despite living in a somewhat fractured world.

Does it still have an effect in a world where opportunities are available to change their appearance and make themselves over into a 'new' person? Are any acts beyond the pale in a hypocritical world? Presumably it all comes down to money in the end.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chaddoli

#9 Post by chaddoli » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:09 pm

An interesting note about the title, script and film: At one time the title was Forgiveness, obviously a clearer reference to its sequel-ness. And the script has been around for several years. I first read it in early 2006, when "wartime" was perhaps a more timely subject (though of course, we are still at war).

The film is excellent in a lot of ways and clearly a step up from Palindromes. It's depressing though that some executive producer forced Solondz to shoot on RED because, even though he had one of the best DPs in the world, Ed Lachman doesn't really seem to know how to make RED look good. The film suffers from its digital (should-have-been-shot-on-film) visuals.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#10 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:54 pm

Maybe it has to do with all the shitty DVD releases in its wake, but at least during the trailer, I was pretty startled by how much better this film looks than his previous ones.

Oedipax

#11 Post by Oedipax » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:41 pm

chaddoli wrote:An interesting note about the title, script and film: At one time the title was Forgiveness, obviously a clearer reference to its sequel-ness. And the script has been around for several years. I first read it in early 2006, when "wartime" was perhaps a more timely subject (though of course, we are still at war).

The film is excellent in a lot of ways and clearly a step up from Palindromes. It's depressing though that some executive producer forced Solondz to shoot on RED because, even though he had one of the best DPs in the world, Ed Lachman doesn't really seem to know how to make RED look good. The film suffers from its digital (should-have-been-shot-on-film) visuals.
I agree, Lachman (whose cinematography I admire tremendously) basically treated the RED the same as film and the visuals suffered as a result. The most obvious scene to me was in Helen's house (the depressed artist sister) where the tall windows were just completely blown out in a very digital, ugly manner. The film also had a really heavy tungsten-y look at times that I don't care for (and from what I understand, the RED is definitely biased more towards daylight, with the image suffering more under other light temps).

I don't think the film really suffered for it, though - Solondz has never struck me as a particularly visual director. I enjoyed the film itself immensely; the new cast was uniformally excellent, perhaps with the exception of Ally Sheedy as Helen who just seemed too one-dimensional and unconvincing next to Lara Flynn Boyle's ice queen. While the film is very funny in parts, the tone overall is quite heavy and dare I say more 'mature' than previous Solondz films: only occasionally does he seem to go for the same shock-laughs found in Happiness and his other films. Instead we get a thoughtful meditation on the question of forgiveness, made more resonant by the passing of time and the fact that we are asked to view these characters as real people whose lives are ongoing, not just the satiric pawns we might have viewed them as in Happiness. Truly a worthwhile sequel (one of very few!) and a new highpoint for Solondz.

chaddoli

#12 Post by chaddoli » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:06 am

Oedipax wrote:I agree, Lachman (whose cinematography I admire tremendously) basically treated the RED the same as film and the visuals suffered as a result. The most obvious scene to me was in Helen's house (the depressed artist sister) where the tall windows were just completely blown out in a very digital, ugly manner. The film also had a really heavy tungsten-y look at times that I don't care for (and from what I understand, the RED is definitely biased more towards daylight, with the image suffering more under other light temps).
This is right on the money, and to me clearly shows that Lachman simply wasn't experienced in working with RED. In fact, and I know some people might eat me alive for saying so, but I have to say that Steven Soderbergh is the only DP in Hollywood who has been able to make RED look good for a theatrical film (with maybe the exception of Antichrist). All of the younger DPs I've had the pleasure to work with are much more adept with the format than some of the older guard. (And it is worth repeating, Lachman is certainly one of the best working DPs in the world, but not on RED).

I did think this made the film suffer because it gave it an artificiality that isn't present in Solondz's other films - it kind of took me out of the movie.

You're right that Solondz's films have never been visually sumptuous, but I don't think you're giving him enough credit. Think about the glazed neon of Miami in Happiness, and the startling visuals (particularly the Fiction segment) of Storytelling. Palindromes was shot by my friend Tom Richmond - and while I wouldn't count it among his best work - the lighting had a homey, back-woods quality that felt right for the fairy tale nature of the film. Solondz in digital just looked off. Don't trust the trailer.

(This is not coming from a 35mm film snob - I love plenty of digital films, including some for their visuals as well: Miami Vice, Inland Empire, The Girlfriend Experience, etc...)
Last edited by chaddoli on Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

sammy h

#13 Post by sammy h » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:23 pm

It's an odd movie. Almost every scene consists of two people in conversation. One after another. It's not as "outrageous" as some of his other work, but still pretty gnarly and funny. How it wrestles with ideas of forgiveness, the past, guilt, memory is interesting and conflicted. I don't know if its a great movie, due to the fact that characters often feel less like real people, and more like vessels for "ideas", but it is compelling stuff. The actors are uniformly great, especially nice to see Michael Lerner in a meaty role (with sex scene!), with the exception being Ally Sheedy, as Oedipax already mentioned, being kinda flat. The idea of recasting the characters furthers the themes of ghosts and trying to erase the past, in that every character is trying to be someone else. so as you watch the movie, you may be looking at Paul Reubens but Jon Lovitz is still on the edge of your brain, a weird ghost in your memory. they want to be different people, and they look different, but they are who they are.
The best material are the scenes with Billy. Totally unfamiliar with the actor, but he was great. And his scenes, though brief, felt the most real and compelling.
Solodnz is one of those guys, where even if I don't like or love a new film of theirs, I want them to keep working, and will see everything they do, because it's genuinely interesting work, and they are willing to fall flat on their face, fail at times, and look stupid. Good stuff!

jorencain

#14 Post by jorencain » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:12 am

There's a very good interview with Solondz on this week's episode of Filmspotting.

Zumpano

#15 Post by Zumpano » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:15 am

Beck and Devendra Banhart's song for the movie: "Life During Wartime". Not a Talking Heads cover, so is it safe to assume the title is not a reference to the Heads song?

Lemmy Caution

#16 Post by Lemmy Caution » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:50 am

Life During Wartime kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I became irritable, as my cat does when pet from tail to head. Almost turned the film off after 25 minutes.

It all just seemed far too self-consciously quirky. Like a cross between You, Me & Everyone We Know and Running with Scissors. Familiar family dysfunction. Yet I had trouble believing that any of this, or these people, were real. I also didn't care for the determined understatement in many scenes, waiting for a sudden blow up. There was also a decided lack of subtlety throughout the film. And the music cues constantly irritated me, and felt like exactly what a young director would choose to add a tone of class or seriousness.

The casting is interesting. However, I would have replaced the boy Timmy and the lead woman Joy. But Paul Reubens added a definite interesting touch, with his longing and sadness. I think his two scenes were the best the film had to offer.

I should add that Palindromes is the only other Solondz film I've seen, and I thought it was an interesting experiment which didn't really work.

Roger Ryan

#17 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:29 pm

Zumpano wrote:Beck and Devendra Banhart's song for the movie: "Life During Wartime". Not a Talking Heads cover, so is it safe to assume the title is not a reference to the Heads song?
Ugh - what a dull song! This sounds like something U2 might come up with on an off-day and lock away in the vault. I'm still thinking that Solondz' title comes from the Talking Heads song, but when deciding to feature a title theme song in his film, asked Beck and Banhart to come up with something completely different than what David Byrne had written thirty years ago.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#18 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:36 pm

Just like with Happiness, this is a "cover" of one of Joy's songs introduced earlier in the film. I believe Solondz actually wrote it. I can't imagine it having much worth outside of the context of the film.

Roger Ryan

#19 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:43 pm

swo17 wrote:Just like with Happiness, this is a "cover" of one of Joy's songs introduced earlier in the film. I believe Solondz actually wrote it. I can't imagine it having much worth outside of the context of the film.
Ah, I see. In that case, I suppose it has made Solondz happy to have such noteworthy musicians perform his song, although its quality is significantly lower than almost anything else released by Beck or Banhart.

Oedipax

#20 Post by Oedipax » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:04 pm

Ebert's review of this is a real clunker. 10% "I don't like it" and 90% plot summary, no attempt to grapple with the ideas or why he thinks it didn't work at all. Autopilot film criticism.

Also, I was a massive Beck fan once upon a time and I didn't even notice that song in the film. Oh well.

knives

#21 Post by knives » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:40 am

Did Solondz have Criterion do the colour timing on this?

Urine layering aside this is a gorgeous movie, at least in composition. Some of the visuals are blown out as mentioned before, and the copy at the screening I was at was all scratched up, but I don't think it's for lack of trying. Some of the visuals, like Joy walking past the moon, are unforgettable. The colour matching and contrasting especially stand out as excellent.
As for the story, I loved it, but some things (mostly Paul Rubens character) were lost on me as it has been forever since I've seen Happiness and only remember the experience not the story. The scene with Helen I especially liked as I could imagine my mother having the same reaction to this movie as Helen does to her sister. On the sadder side of things my mother actually did a variation on the wet scene several times from my youth to basically today.
I also really adored how open to misinterpretation this film is. It was a total vicarious experience imaging how different people I know would react to the film. So to make a jackass of myself here's my go at Solondz's misdirection. Basically he overemphasizes the forgiveness thing for obviously humour, but also not to come across as preachy with what he is saying on forgiveness; that it is essentially a hypocritical action in how people perform it. No sleeping dogs are truly left to lie. Forgiveness than becomes a tool of self-righteousness, the limousine liberal types mfunk was chastising.
While Helen is the obvious go to on this Joy (who's actress may have the most annoying voice in the world) and her story I think better exemplify Solondz's disdain over the abuse of forgiveness. She sets herself up as St. Francis, but is the most insecure and whacked character in a movie consisting almost only of them. Actually I find it a bit funny that the pedophile may be the most Leave it to Beaver character of the bunch.
So while I don't have the memory to say how this compares with Happiness, this is definitely a few steps above his past two projects. The movie goes by so quickly too. When it ended I thought there was still a good half hour left and for story there is. Rather than cleaning up that stuff though I'm glad he ended it where he did. Also the guy they got to replace Baker is phenomenal and doesn't in any way imitate the earlier performance.

Also a woman walked out during the screening.
Edit: Shit, I just realized that this is also a sequel to Welcome to the Dollhouse. Features two of the Weiners.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#22 Post by swo17 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:12 pm

MoonlitKnight

#23 Post by MoonlitKnight » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:32 pm

Oedipax wrote:Ebert's review of this is a real clunker. 10% "I don't like it" and 90% plot summary, no attempt to grapple with the ideas or why he thinks it didn't work at all. Autopilot film criticism.
I have to say Ebert has been losing his touch just a bit over the last year or two. His review of "Toy Story 3" was probably the laziest thing I've ever read from him. This review is sort of in the same vain. :|

As for Solondz, what do suppose the chances of Criterion putting out "Fear, Anxiety and Depression" behind his back? :-$

Professor Wagstaff

Re: Forthcoming: Life During Wartime

#24 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:32 pm

MoonlitKnight wrote:I have to say Ebert has been losing his touch just a bit over the last year or two. His review of "Toy Story 3" was probably the laziest thing I've ever read from him. This review is sort of in the same vain. :|
Ebert has been getting lazier since the death of Siskel back in '99. Before that he always had Gene to compete with and keep him on his toes. Now he's settled into his icon status and seems content to ride that. I still cruise by his site sometimes for some insight but his writing has really plummeted. I'd take anything he said with a grain of salt.

Tom Hagen

Re: Forthcoming: Life During Wartime

#25 Post by Tom Hagen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:51 pm

So there's some causal link between his appearances on TV with Gene Siskel and the quality of his writing?