112 Playtime

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Jeff

#76 Post by Jeff » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:04 pm

The press release (or whatever it is) at Davis DVD lists the exact same specs as the current disc. Hopefully it's a misprint, but I suppose that Criterion could have just decided to put the old release back in circulation with updated art. You would think that if this was a new transfer from the 65mm elements, they would at least be trumpeting that.
Last edited by Jeff on Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cinesimilitude

#77 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:05 pm

Jeff wrote:The press release (or whatever it is) at Davis DVD lists the exact same specs as the current disc. Hopefully it's a misprint, but I suppose that Criterion could have just decided to put the old release back in circulation with updated art. You would think that if this was a new transfer from 65mm elements, they would at least be trumpeting that.
the lack of news of a new transfer (which is most-likely) and as I said above, leads me to believe if they were just putting it back into circulation with the new cover style, there's no way they'd jack the price up to 39.95 just because.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Narshty

#78 Post by Narshty » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:08 pm

I'm 99% certain that press release is nonsense. They simply wouldn't dare reissue it with the same minimal extras. Aside from all else, if they're using the 70mm restoration (which it looks as if they are), it doesn't make sense that it would be mono again.

Cinéslob

#79 Post by Cinéslob » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:04 pm

Well, those are my hopes for a definitive Tati boxset scuppered, then.

Dr. Mabuse

#80 Post by Dr. Mabuse » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:50 am

Well, they could be doin' the same thing they did with the Malle-set, release barebone individual titles and a box set with an extra disc containing supplements... Just a thought.

Narshty

#81 Post by Narshty » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:36 am

Cinéslob wrote:Well, those are my hopes for a definitive Tati boxset scuppered, then.
Is a box really all that important?

Lino

#82 Post by Lino » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:59 am

It is for me. And for the rest of us that are going to be double-dipping on future Tati Criterion re-releases. Why pay for individual prices when you can have a money-saving set? Besides, I want to sell my R2 box and in a perfect world, I would've welcomed a Criterion equivalent.

toiletduck!

#83 Post by toiletduck! » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:36 am

Annie Mall wrote:It is for me. And for the rest of us that are going to be double-dipping on future Tati Criterion re-releases.
There are more? I can't really see Criterion going for re-re-releases, especially this soon... new Tati hopefully, but I think after Playtime we're good on the double-dipping.

-Toilet Dcuk

Lino

#84 Post by Lino » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:42 am

toiletduck! wrote:
Annie Mall wrote:It is for me. And for the rest of us that are going to be double-dipping on future Tati Criterion re-releases.
There are more?

I'm quite sure they will re-release Mon Oncle's english version, My Uncle, recently restored and already available on DVD in France and Germany.

Michael

#85 Post by Michael » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:48 am

I'm quite sure they will re-release Mon Oncle's english version, My Uncle, recently restored and already available on DVD in France and Germany.

Mon Oncle dubbed in English?

Lino

#86 Post by Lino » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:00 am

No, My Uncle, an english spoken version of Mon Oncle. Much like what Herzog did with Nosferatu when he shot two identical movies in two different languages.

Michael

#87 Post by Michael » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:07 am

Oh I didn't know that! Well, I would rather to stick to the French version.

toiletduck!

#88 Post by toiletduck! » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:34 am

Annie Mall wrote:I'm quite sure they will re-release Mon Oncle's english version, My Uncle, recently restored and already available on DVD in France and Germany.
Is there any rumblings of this or is it just speculation? Unless this was available to Criterion suddenly out of the blue, I would think that they would've held off on the Mon Oncle re-release as they did with Playtime. The immediate re-releases of Oncle and Hulot seemed to imply that these were the final versions to be released.

'Course, Criterion has duped me before.

-Toilet Dcuk

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#89 Post by Buttery Jeb » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:40 am

And in today's "Don't Believe Everything You Read On the Internet" moment, it looks like Criterion's press release got it wrong. Full specs, from Criterion's website:

[quote]SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES

All-new, restored high-definition digital transfer

Video introduction by writer, director, and performer Terry Jones

Selected scene commentary by film historian Philip Kemp

Au-delà de "Playtime," a short documentary featuring archival behind-the-scenes footage from the set

Tati Story, a short biographical film about Tati

“Jacques Tati in Monsieur Hulot's Work,â€

Lino

#90 Post by Lino » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:58 am

And still no trailer. Oh, well -- at least those specs look solid.

oldsheperd

#91 Post by oldsheperd » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:09 am

"Selected Scene Commentary" seems a little half-assed

inri222

#92 Post by inri222 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:41 am

http://criterion.com/asp/release.asp?id=112

124 minutes
1.85:1
Dolby Digital Stereo 2.0

5 minutes longer and in stereo.

Matt

#93 Post by Matt » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:27 pm

Criterion wrote:This new, high-definition digital transfer was created on a Spirit Datacine from the 35mm reduction internegative, made from the restored 65mm interpositive.
I'm a little disappointed that they couldn't get the transfer directly from the 70mm elements. Detail is so important to this movie that it's a shame to have to be 2 generations away from the negative. But I'm sure it will be a significant improvement over the previous release.

putney

#94 Post by putney » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:35 pm

ok, so once again it's the international cut, i would assume. so is the longer cut available anywhere? I am really confused as no one , i think, has mentioned it. has anyone here seen that version?? at the walter reade screening, the notes were a bit vague as to whether it was the cut that had always played in france or not...
danke in advance

putney

atcolomb

#95 Post by atcolomb » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:43 pm

I agree with MATT that Criterion is not using the 65mm negative to make the dvd but it should look better than the first release. DVD BEAVER has a review of the first dvd and says that the 126 minute cut is the last one Tati chose when he released the movie in 1967.

TedW

#96 Post by TedW » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:48 pm

matt wrote:
Criterion wrote:This new, high-definition digital transfer was created on a Spirit Datacine from the 35mm reduction internegative, made from the restored 65mm interpositive.
I'm a little disappointed that they couldn't get the transfer directly from the 70mm elements. Detail is so important to this movie that it's a shame to have to be 2 generations away from the negative. But I'm sure it will be a significant improvement over the previous release.
If the transfer is indeed from the interpositive, then you needn't worry. The IP is only one generation from the negative, not two, and it is customary practice to use this element when making DVDs (even on current films). The negative is rarely, if ever, used (the only case I know of is New Line's Platinum version of Seven) for two reasons: 1) studios/content owners don't like whatever risks are involved in running the original back and forth through a telecine machine, and 2) a conformed negative is glued-up in a "checkerboard," A/B configuration to allow for printing. It's not impossible to make a transfer with these two rolls, as I've mentioned, but it's a holy pain in the ass.

Faux Hulot
Jack Of All Tirades

#97 Post by Faux Hulot » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:04 pm

Pardon any redundancies from previous posts, but regarding what could be included in comprehensive Tati box, such a set could include (apart from what already appears on the current [and forthcoming] Criterion editions):

* The short films On demande une brute (1934), Gai dimanche (1935), and the rarely-seen Forza Bastia ou l'île en fête (1978)

* Jour de fête, of which there are four versions in existence: the 1947 un-colorized cut, the 1949 partially colorized version, the 1961/63 re-partially colorized restoration (with re-recorded soundtrack), and the previously unfinished 1947 Thomsoncolor version, completed by François Ede Sophie Tatischeff in 1995 (there is also a behind-the-scenes making-of doc about the restoration of the color version on the French DVD). There are however rumors of an impending Criterion Jour de fête, so much of this material could still eventually be released.

* The English-language My Uncle, which as noted above is not a dubbed version of Mon Oncle but rather a simultaneously-shot version with subtle but noteworthy differences and emphases (and which, significantly, is distributed on 35mm in the US by Janus)

* The Playtime trailer, which contains a couple of shots from sequences that apparently only appeared in the now-lost 150-min cut

* The features Trafic (no US DVD available) and Parade (once available as Criterion laserdisc, currently OOP in all formats in the US)

I would also suggest a Jonathan Rosenbaum commentary track (or at least liner notes) on some films, as Mr. Rosenbaum was a friend of Tati's (and slight collaborator, on the unproduced screenplay Confusion), and is one of the most knowledgeable experts on the late director (the Parade LD included his notes).

One can dream, yes...?

atcolomb

#98 Post by atcolomb » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:33 pm

Tati's Traffic can still be seen on VHS and is still on sale at AMAZON.COM. I have that version and the picture is ok but hope to see it on dvd....

Matt

#99 Post by Matt » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:51 pm

TedW wrote:
matt wrote:
If the transfer is indeed from the interpositive, then you needn't worry.
Read the Criterion statement again. The transfer is taken from an internegative, which was taken from an interpositive, which was made (presumably) from the original negative. Two generations (and a reduction) away.

I understand why using the original negative would be problematic. I'm just disappointed that they didn't transfer the 65mm interpositive.

skuhn8

#100 Post by skuhn8 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:57 pm

have dvds been made from original 65 or say 70mm elements? I'm thinking here of 2001 if I recall was originally 70mm.