Ingmar Bergman's Cinema

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
fiddlesticks

Re: Ingmar Bergman's Cinema

#76 Post by fiddlesticks » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:58 am

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:53 pm
swo17 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:45 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:35 pm
If you like me have a bunch of Tartan DVDs that literally no one will buy now no matter how cheap you sell them, head over to Decluttr-- I was able to get decent prices for all my Tartans and the MGM Bergmans from the box (do them individually, you'll get more).
Like a couple of bucks each? That's all I'm seeing.
All of mine went for between two and five dollars (except the MGM Persona which was like fifty cents). What did you expect? They're no longer worth even two dollars each, so that's a steal. Again, literally no one will ever buy the Tartans or MGM DVDs on eBay or Amazon after this announcement, but the resale offer price will go down to twenty cents on Decluttr in no time
We're approaching there now. Tartan Smiles of a Summer Night is $1.23, Summer with Monika $1.30 (although C+W is $5.91); MGM box is $6.00 whole and $6.80 in pieces. I'd rather give these to my local library (Tartans are R0.) Thanks for the tip, though.

movielocke

#77 Post by movielocke » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:04 am

domino harvey wrote:Also, I don't even know what to say to anyone who has been able to think of anything today but owning this set. This sure looks like the single greatest home media release ever
I don’t have the same level of ecstasy and awe I got from the olympics set announcement or the ford at fox announcement but I’m pretty excited about the release, not my personal vote for greatest ever but it is very impressive.

However, I don’t know if I will buy it. I watched almost all these films last year, and I own every Bergman I want to own (except winter light), and for the rest I am content with streaming, if I’m being honest I’m likely to stream repeat viewings of the ones I own anyway. The book is very tempting, but I don’t like the page holders for the discs, I found the olympics set to have my favorite way of packing a huge set like this.

Basically if I get this, it would be for six blind buys and a book, and really even then my primary reason to buy it would be to -display- it rather than utilize it. And I don’t think I really need it for conspicuous consumption purposes.

That said I still want it, it is an amazing set but I might be able to talk myself out of buying it (though my wife knows me well enough she’ll probably just get it for me at Christmas.)

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#78 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:16 am

Naturally I received Virgin Spring this morning to go alongside all the other Criterion Bergman blus. So am torn on this one. I would hope however any Bergmanmania extends to encourage the release of Best Intentions in its long TV version as well as its companion films by Daniel Bergman and Liv Ullman( Sunday`s Children and Private Confessions)

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#79 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:34 am

How do the covers shown square with the picture of the discs housed in slots of the folders?

Minkin

#80 Post by Minkin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:46 am

A few observations:

-This really is a steal at $300 - which will end up being only $135 (for members) at the next BN sale (even less if any coupon-friendly employees are working). But even then, there's value here even if you own every previous Criterion /Eclipse edition. I'll likely donate or gift what I already owned. This isn't like Universal when they included the one unreleased Abbott and Costello film in their big boxset only... ugh, still upset on that one.

-Glad to finally see Stig Björkman's But Film is My Mistress (2010) show up. This was a World Cinema Project film that Criterion has had streaming for several years now.

-This was by far the most titles removed from the Forthcoming list in one go: 12 from Filmstruck and 21 from the Janus tour + that New Years clue (dame-moon).This boxset actually has several more films than were even part of the recent Janus tour!

-Huge misopportunity to have not used the original title for Carnies' Twilight

- I think Criterion was in a hurry to write some of the blurbs (surprised that all of the films have individual pages on their site, which is a nice change of pace after the Olympics box):
Made during his self-imposed exile in Germany, Ingmar Bergman’s From the Life of the Marionettes offers a lacerating portrait of a destructive marriage and a complex psychological analysis of a murder. Businessman Peter nurses fantasies of killing his wife, Katarina, until a prostitute becomes his surrogate prey. In the aftermath of the crime, Peter and Katarina’s psychiatrist and others attempt to explain its roots. Jumping back and forth in time, this compelling film moves seamlessly between seduction and repulsion, and the German cast is superb.

Rupert Pupkin

#81 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:44 am

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:34 am
How do the covers shown square with the picture of the discs housed in slots of the folders?
I was wondering that too...
could it be streaming/VOD artwork ?

EddieLarkin

#82 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:48 am

Digital restorations, including a new 4K restoration of The Seventh Seal and new 2K restorations of Shame, The Touch, Waiting Women, and The Serpent’s Egg, among many others, with uncompressed monaural and stereo soundtracks

Is this to be taken to mean additional restorations other than the ones listed will be new to the Criterion Collection, or is it just referring to the previous CC releases that already used a new restoration? Smiles of a Summer Night for instance has had a far superior master available in Europe for some time now, and it would be a shame if Criterion don't/can't use it.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#83 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:48 am

I doubt most of the current Criterion releases will be replaced by newer ones outside The Seventh Seal. The only one which I can imagine being upgraded is Smiles of a Summer Night and maybe (maybe) Wild Strawberries, because they are older restorations that might have been redone since. Autumn Sonata, Cries and Whispers, Fanny and Alexander, The Virgin Spring, The Magician, Summer Interlude, My Summer with Monika and Persona are all extremely likely to be pretty much the same discs than the current individual releases.

I'm quite sure there has been some detail lately about the new restorations prompted by the centenary but I haven't been able to find it. It certainly would help to know which movies have been recently restored and what to expect precisely.

mteller

#84 Post by mteller » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:18 am

Minkin wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:46 am
- I think Criterion was in a hurry to write some of the blurbs (surprised that all of the films have individual pages on their site, which is a nice change of pace after the Olympics box):
Made during his self-imposed exile in Germany, Ingmar Bergman’s From the Life of the Marionettes offers a lacerating portrait of a destructive marriage and a complex psychological analysis of a murder. Businessman Peter nurses fantasies of killing his wife, Katarina, until a prostitute becomes his surrogate prey. In the aftermath of the crime, Peter and Katarina’s psychiatrist and others attempt to explain its roots. Jumping back and forth in time, this compelling film moves seamlessly between seduction and repulsion, and the German cast is superb.
I'm not seeing a problem here. The cast is German.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#85 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:47 am

It's been a while (not long enough) since I've seen it, but isn't the movie in German as well?

denti alligator

#86 Post by denti alligator » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:55 am

Another missed opportunity is Faithless (2000), screenplay Bergman and directed by Liv Ullmann and featuring Erland Josephson. Flat out masterpiece that hasn't even had a proper DVD (!) release.

Minkin

#87 Post by Minkin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:56 am

Pfftt, come on - its just a badly constructed sentence. "oh and by the way that German cast is tops, you should totes see it."

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#88 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:59 am

You point that out but don't object to Criterion's writeup referring to Liv Ulmann in Persona as "2 bananay 4 wordz"?

perkizitore

#89 Post by perkizitore » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:26 am

denti alligator wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:55 am
Another missed opportunity is Faithless (2000), screenplay Bergman and directed by Liv Ullmann and featuring Erland Josephson. Flat out masterpiece that hasn't even had a proper DVD (!) release.
It was released in the UK by Tartan.

jsteffe

#90 Post by jsteffe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:27 am

Minkin wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:46 am

-Huge misopportunity to have not used the original title for Carnies' Twilight
I would have suggested Jesterdämmerung!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#91 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:34 am

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:47 am
It's been a while (not long enough) since I've seen it, but isn't the movie in German as well?
It is

solaris72

#92 Post by solaris72 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:40 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:56 pm
I really wonder if they will put out "Saraband" as a single release. This was the only Bergman (as far as I can tell) shot in digital, and I saw it in digital projection in theatrical in Paris when it came out... I wonder if "Saraband" has been released somewhere else on blu-ray ? (I don't think so...)
Was pretty surprised that they have Saraband but didn't pair it up with Scenes from a Marriage. Perhaps they are indeed intending to release it on its own. It has been released on blu-ray in Germany (paired with Scenes). I'd originally been intending to get that release and then use the subs from my DVDs of the two works, but I'll certainly be getting the box now.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#93 Post by Rayon Vert » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:32 pm

I like the commentaries for the MGMs so I’m keeping those.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#94 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:44 pm

Interesting point: That's 4 commentaries from the MGM box that will presumably be dropped here. I haven't heard them myself, but I remember people here praising the decision to drop the one for Persona.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#95 Post by Buttery Jeb » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:54 pm

perkizitore wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:26 am
denti alligator wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:55 am
It was released in the UK by Tartan.
In addition, there's Ullmann's Private Confessions, which was also written by Bergman. I think Home Vision put it out on VHS and/or DVD back in the day.

zedz

#96 Post by zedz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:44 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:32 pm
I like the commentaries for the MGMs so I’m keeping those.
I suggest you discuss this with a psychiatric professional first.
swo wrote:Interesting point: That's 4 commentaries from the MGM box that will presumably be dropped here. I haven't heard them myself, but I remember people here praising the decision to drop the one for Persona.
They're probably the worst commentaries I've ever heard (or let's be kind: all four would make my top five). Worth hearing one of them once for camp value maybe, but they are complete shit.
Last edited by zedz on Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#97 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:46 pm

I know I listened to them whenever I first watched them a decade-plus ago, all I remember is we get an explanation for what "the hour of the wolf" means in that film's commentary

bearcuborg

#98 Post by bearcuborg » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:05 pm

I remember the Carradine commentary being fun.

Apart from Sven Nyquist, I never developed a love for Bergman. I’ll probably get this set during a sale but I’m in no rush.

Luke M

#99 Post by Luke M » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:27 pm

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

Digital transfer (box set edition); new, restored high-definition digital transfer (two-DVD and Blu-ray editions), with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
Introduction by Ingmar Bergman, recorded in 2003 (two-DVD and Blu-ray only)
Audio commentary by Bergman expert Peter Cowie, with a new afterword on the two-DVD and Blu-ray editions
Bergman Island (2006), an 83-minute documentary on Bergman by Marie Nyreröd, featuring in-depth and revealing interviews with the director (two-DVD and Blu-ray only)
Archival audio interview with Max von Sydow (two-DVD and Blu-ray only)
A 1989 tribute to Bergman by filmmaker Woody Allen (two-DVD and Blu-ray only)
Theatrical trailer
Bergman 101, a selected video filmography tracing Bergman’s career, narrated by Cowie (two-DVD and Blu-ray only)
An annotated, illustrated Bergman filmography, featuring excerpts from Wild Strawberries and The Magician with commentary (box set only)
Optional English-dubbed soundtrack
New and improved English subtitle translation
PLUS: A new essay by Cowie (box set edition); a booklet featuring a new essay by critic Gary Giddins (two-DVD and Blu-ray editions)
New cover by Neil Kellerhouse (two-DVD and Blu-ray editions); new cover by Gordon Reynolds (box set edition)
The Seventh Seal is losing some features.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#100 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:32 pm

Can someone translate?