923-924 Beyond the Hills & Graduation

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
Message
Author
User avatar
FrauBlucher
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: 923-924 Beyond the Hills & Graduation

#26 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:37 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:Off topic: Every time Swo or Mfunk change their avatar, I get thrown off for like a month.
Throw Domino into that mix.

User avatar
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:24 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: 923-924 Beyond the Hills & Graduation

#27 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:39 pm

If I remember correctly, Domino used to have a different one when I first started lurking on the forum; I think it's been almost five years or something with the current one, and if all three of you changed in the same 4-6 week span, I'd have to go lie down somewhere.

User avatar
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: 923-924 Beyond the Hills & Graduation

#28 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:55 pm

swo17 wrote:mfunk literally made me do it.
This is the biggest lie in history

chucktatum
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:56 pm

Re: 923-924 Beyond the Hills & Graduation

#29 Post by chucktatum » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:34 pm

I'm really looking forward to Beyond the Hills. Graduation is terrific; I was lucky to see it at AFI Fest in 2016.

It surprises me these two are being released before 4/3/2.

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: 923-924 Beyond the Hills & Graduation

#30 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:31 am

DarkImbecile wrote:If I remember correctly, Domino used to have a different one when I first started lurking on the forum; I think it's been almost five years or something with the current one, and if all three of you changed in the same 4-6 week span, I'd have to go lie down somewhere.
I gave up changing my avatar many years ago after accepting that no other image could possibly sum up my overall board presence

User avatar
soundchaser
No longer chasing skirts
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:32 am

Re: 923-924 Beyond the Hills & Graduation

#31 Post by soundchaser » Sat May 19, 2018 11:59 am

Beaver on Graduation. It does look a little teal, but I think that's intended.

User avatar
zedz
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:24 pm

Re: 923-924 Beyond the Hills & Graduation

#32 Post by zedz » Sun May 20, 2018 5:11 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:59 am
Beaver on Graduation. It does look a little teal, but I think that's intended.
Yeah, the DCP looked rather chilly.

User avatar
FrauBlucher
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: 923-924 Beyond the Hills & Graduation

#33 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun May 20, 2018 10:17 pm


User avatar
jbeall
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Atlanta-ish

Re: 923-924 Beyond the Hills & Graduation

#34 Post by jbeall » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:15 pm

I quite liked Graduation. Without giving too much away, it deals with a former expat who returned with his wife after 1991 with intentions of helping change things. Now in late middle-age, he's stuck trying to get his daughter a scholarship to study in the UK, which may entail capitulating to the inherent cronyism of the very system he had hoped to change and which he wants his daughter to escape. What I liked about it is that there are no genuinely despicable characters, and in some way the locals who've shrugged their shoulders and capitulated are less naive than the protagonist, despite the latter's relatively advanced age.

User avatar
knives
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:49 pm

Re: 923-924 Beyond the Hills & Graduation

#35 Post by knives » Thu May 30, 2019 4:01 pm

Contrary to everyone in this thread I found Beyond the Hills a massive improvement over 4 Months which I didn't like at all. It is an imperfect film and the complaints of length are an issue, but the film uses modern art film technique well to achieve truly great characterization for even the most anonymous of characters.

Vis a vis our talk in the 4 Months thread I think part of why the movie works in that regard comes from Mungiu's own right wing Christianity. I've found in general the best critiques of something come from the true believers and this one highlights that by showing well intentioned people who through their lack of self reflection come to the most horrid of behaviors.

User avatar
zedz
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:24 pm

Re: 923-924 Beyond the Hills & Graduation

#36 Post by zedz » Thu May 30, 2019 5:58 pm

knives wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 4:01 pm
Contrary to everyone in this thread I found Beyond the Hills a massive improvement over 4 Months which I didn't like at all. It is an imperfect film and the complaints of length are an issue, but the film uses modern art film technique well to achieve truly great characterization for even the most anonymous of characters.

Vis a vis our talk in the 4 Months thread I think part of why the movie works in that regard comes from Mungiu's own right wing Christianity. I've found in general the best critiques of something come from the true believers and this one highlights that by showing well intentioned people who through their lack of self reflection come to the most horrid of behaviors.
I think I've mentioned this before, but what I really like about the film is the way in which immersion in the community starts to normalize some of the behaviour even for us as viewers (and I think the length helps here), so when the outside world crashes in it provides a kind of contextual whiplash, and however terrible we thought the situation was, we suddenly see it as much, much worse.

nitin
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:49 am

Re: 923-924 Beyond the Hills & Graduation

#37 Post by nitin » Thu May 30, 2019 6:44 pm

I think Beyond the Hills is one of the great films of the decade and find it fascinating that Mungiu’s comments about the film are so different to my reaction to the movie!

4 Months is excellent as well as is Graduation so Mungiu is a must watch Director in my book.

User avatar
knives
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:49 pm

Re: 923-924 Beyond the Hills & Graduation

#38 Post by knives » Thu May 30, 2019 10:00 pm

I think that's it exactly. Weirdly I'm reminded of what Shyamalan does in The Village where if we had gotten the full context the underlying horror wouldn't be as effective. Making it seem like this almost magical fairy tale thing and then that ending shakes the body in a way that occupying just one world wouldn't. That's also, for me, the big difference from Mother Joan which I see mentioned here. That is a horror entirely occupied in a dream and a past which allows an intellectual remove. The doctor suing a cell phone in the climax is a very necessary punctuation.

Post Reply