898 Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: 898 Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me

#226 Post by tenia » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:42 am

Finch wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:with a fresh restoration
I thought it's the same restoration (already in 4k) they already did for the Entire Mystery set, no?
Yes, the Entire Mystery set already uses a new 4K restoration. That's why Criterion doesn't advertise it as "new" in their blurb.
The only technical difference is that the original 2.0 mix will be presented lossless by Criterion while it was encoded in lossy DD in the boxset.
We will also get the same kind of separate release in France and it's hard to see what is the opportunity to find for the consumer : he can get the whole show + the movie + a crapload of extras for only a tad more than what the individual movie BD release will cost. I wouldn't like to be the label who has to convince him otherwise (especially since the French FWWM release was slated not to have the Missing Pieces).

Roger Ryan

#227 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:49 am

swo17 wrote:
SpoilerShow
The Annie one is particularly weird considering this is a prequel!
If you find the length of the original series daunting, you can just watch the pilot through "Episode 16" which is, in essence, the complete "Laura Palmer" storyline that FWWM is a prequel to. These episodes maintain a fairly high quality standard throughout as well, which can't be said of the remainder of the original series. However, if you're interested in seeing Lynch's new "18-hour movie", you're going to need to watch the entire original series, FWWM and the Missing Pieces scenes to truly prepare yourself. I don't know if "swo17" has caught any of Twin Peaks: The Return, but the moment from FWWM that is alluded to behind the spoiler bar is acknowledged in the new series.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#228 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:00 am

Finch wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:with a fresh restoration
I thought it's the same restoration (already in 4k) they already did for the Entire Mystery set, no?
Well, drat.

I still stand behind the idea that it's a good idea to get this film out solo in case the rights get confusing with the series again. As it stands right now, there are separate rights situations for the pilot, the rest of the original series, the new season, and the film. Those sides have played nice enough to get a DVD and Blu-ray box set of the early-90s stuff out there, but no one can know for sure how much longer it will remain in print, and what some sort of "complete series" box is going to look like when and if they decide to bundle in the Showtime season. It makes absolute sense for a label like Criterion to oversee getting the film out on its own just in case.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#229 Post by tenia » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:26 am

It makes sense to take the opportunity of releasing some Twin Peaks stuff, I suppose it could be a wet dream for many labels.

But still, in the current situation where the CBS set is still widely available, it's hard to see how the added value of such an individual is worth its admission price.

The restoration in the set is already top notch so you can't beat the technical side of things, and it's loaded in extras so it's hard to beat that too (and Criterion won't be helped by not being able to provide new writings in their booklet). If the CBS set was prohibitively expensive, why not, but it has already been discounted multiple times.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#230 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:35 am

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#231 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:48 am

swo17 wrote:Wait, is it still in print?
Same story over on eBay too. Well goddamn, that's the fastest I've ever been right about anything :-"

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#232 Post by tenia » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:06 pm

Seems like the US set just went OOP in the past few days, something that I missed (looking more at the French and UK markets).

Roger Ryan

#233 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:12 pm

The edition that's out-of-print is the one with the elaborate packaging. Similar to what happened with the Alien Anthology, the Entire Mystery set has been reissued in stripped-down packaging and that edition is still available.

EDIT: Okay, I see that the edition I linked to appears to be from Europe (all regions, however), so it does look like the U.S. set (yes, even the stripped-down packaging version) might be unavailable.
Last edited by Roger Ryan on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#234 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:14 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:the Complete Mystery set has been reissued in stripped-down packaging and that edition is still available.
Is it, though?
tenia wrote:
Seems like the US set just went OOP in the past few days, something that I missed (looking more at the French and UK markets).
Considering that the Criterion release of Fire Walk with Me is in the US, I don't know that the set's availability in France and the UK makes much of a difference here.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#235 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:17 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Roger Ryan wrote:the Complete Mystery set has been reissued in stripped-down packaging and that edition is still available.
Is it, though?
Yeah, that just looks like a handful of third-party sellers offering it.

Roger Ryan

#236 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:19 pm

It seemed like only yesterday I saw the set at Best Buy...time and good entertainment disappear quickly. I've amended the post above.
Last edited by Roger Ryan on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Ben

#237 Post by Big Ben » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:20 pm

The daunting episode list mentioned above is exactly what has been keeping me from watching the series. i just don't have as much time as I used to. And because the series has been disseminated into popular culture so much I already know who did what to whom for the most part so I haven't rushed out to see exactly what happened in Twin Peaks. Such is life I suppose. Hopefully I'll be able to see the revival season of Twin Peaks without being spoiled however.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#238 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:26 pm

Now, it could be that Janus' acquisition of the rights is the reason why this set has gone out of print... which would be pretty funny. But something tells me it's more complicated than that, and Janus rescued the film when the rights deal that put that set together either ran out or got too messy.

knives

#239 Post by knives » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:27 pm

For me the show is a million times more interesting even in the second season than this movie which on the board I recognize is a minority opinion, but I think it needs to be expressed just to emphasize a lot of good can come from watching the series.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#240 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:30 pm

Big Ben wrote:The daunting episode list mentioned above is exactly what has been keeping me from watching the series. i just don't have as much time as I used to. And because the series has been disseminated into popular culture so much I already know who did what to whom for the most part so I haven't rushed out to see exactly what happened in Twin Peaks. Such is life I suppose. Hopefully I'll be able to see the revival season of Twin Peaks without being spoiled however.
I mean, 16 episodes--that's less than a full season for a standard TV show. I don't watch much TV anymore, so I get where you're coming from, but it still seems like a relatively low time commitment to me.
knives wrote:For me the show is a million times more interesting even in the second season than this movie which on the board I recognize is a minority opinion, but I think it needs to be expressed just to emphasize a lot of good can come from watching the series.
I actually agree with you. I will go one further and say that I don't really have much of a problem with the later Season 2 episodes, other than the pointless James Hurley subplot.

John Shade

#241 Post by John Shade » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:33 pm

Like Big Ben, somehow the number of episodes has been too daunting for me also, and as I expressed yesterday I like Lynch's work. I'm still watching movies from our All Time list.

I know the show is still currently streaming on Netflix and potentially Showtime, but it might be worth it to check how much longer that will last

Roger Ryan

#242 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:34 pm

Big Ben wrote:...Hopefully I'll be able to see the revival season of Twin Peaks without being spoiled however.
I think it's safe to say that Twin Peaks: The Return will be nearly incomprehensible without having watched everything that came before...and that's admitting that much of it is confounding for longtime fans who have seen it all. More than simply recognizing the various threads and characters being addressed in the revival, much of the most affecting material relies on knowing what happened to these characters twenty-five years earlier and watching them react to events that are directly tied to the past.

nowhereisaplace

#243 Post by nowhereisaplace » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:44 pm

From what I understand, CBS now has the rights to the Pilot, Season1 & Season 2. They own Showtime also, therefore The Return. I believe the box licensed FWWM from MK2 for a limited time. I am unsure who owns the rights to Missing Pieces, but I remember the extremely frustrating wait to finally get them had to do with untangling the rights from MK2 for a New Line dvd; once that was sorted, they waited on funds because Lynch insisted on being able to fully finish the scenes (as opposed to the Wild At Heart deleted scenes). My guess is once The Return was really going somewhere and he and Frost were actually incorporating things from those scenes in the new script, it put a fire under him to finish them. I also speculate that thinking about The Return rekindled his idea of the film trilogy he originally had in mind when making FWWM to begin with. There is much in Fire Walk With Me that is confusing not so much because it references things in the original series, but because they are setting up things that will never pay off, i.e. the ring.
Last edited by nowhereisaplace on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Ben

#244 Post by Big Ben » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:46 pm

I would be watching all of the series. All of it. All thirty original episodes and the then the Prequel film and then the Revival. That's a total of forty eight episodes in total plus Fire Walk with Me. While in truth that isn't exactly the worlds largest time commitment it's still a commitment. I seriously debated picking up the the Blu-Ray box set when it was first announced. That was a mistake.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#245 Post by tenia » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:17 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Considering that the Criterion release of Fire Walk with Me is in the US, I don't know that the set's availability in France and the UK makes much of a difference here.
I thought the CBS set "In Print" status would be a global question, not that it could be OOP in the US but still in print elsewhere. We alos had the same discussion in France when Carlotta announced they would be releasing the 1st two season in a new set and Potemkine the movie in an individual release.

Hence my remark.

flyonthewall2983

#246 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:24 am

I watched this just around the time the new series began. In one night I watched the last couple episodes of season 2, this, and the first 2 of the new season. As I kind of crammed in watching the original show in a week or so, the experience of watching this was different but I was too caught up in the plot of the show to appreciate this properly. I liked it well enough but feel like maybe it's worth a revisit at some point after this season ends.

For some reasons already stated here, I don't mind much that this is being released as separate from the show. It feels different enough from both the first two seasons and the 2017 incarnation, added to which the issues with the rights, I can see it's extended value as a release. I don't revisit television shows (at least their entire run) as I do movies, so I can definitely understand now the positives of this.

bettybranch

#247 Post by bettybranch » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:17 pm

solaris72 wrote:Unless they're added in the "More!" it doesn't even have all the FWWM features that were on the Entire Mystery. (missing "Moving Through Time: Fire Walk with Me Memories", "Reflections on the Phenomenon of Twin Peaks", and "Fire Walk with Me: Archival Interviews". I'm guessing "Interviews from 2014 by Lynch with actors Lee, Ray Wise, and Grace Zabriskie" is "Between Two Worlds".
The Charles De Lauzirika produced documentary "Moving Through Time: Fire Walk with Me Memories" alone is worth hanging onto the CBS Entire Mystery Blu-ray.

dwk

#248 Post by dwk » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:41 pm

Looks like the "more" is a new interview with Angelo Badalamenti

cpetrizzi

Re: Criterion Newsletter: Clues and More, Volume Four

#249 Post by cpetrizzi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:16 am

HitchcockLang wrote:I am of the tiny camp that has only seen FWWM and never seen the series (I bought the movie on DVD for $3 from Dollar General when I was in high school). I have been eyeing the blu-ray box though. Still, I agree this is a weird choice for Criterion.
I'm of the tinier camp that hasn't seen anything Twin Peaks. Ten pages here shows amazing support. So I will ask, where should I start in my viewing of all of this? Also, what is the chronology of all of the supplements: The Missing Pieces, The Entire Mystery, etc?
Last edited by cpetrizzi on Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

knives

#250 Post by knives » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:18 am

The pilot for sure.