It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 847 The Asphalt Jungle
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:22 pm 

The Asphalt Jungle

Image Image

In a smog-choked city somewhere in the American Midwest, an aging criminal mastermind, newly released from prison, hatches a plan for a million-dollar jewel heist and draws a wealthy lawyer and a cherry-picked trio of outlaws into his carefully devised but inevitably doomed scheme. Anchored by an abundance of nuanced performances from a gifted ensemble—including a tight-jawed Sterling Hayden and a sultry Marilyn Monroe in her breakout role—this gritty crime classic by John Huston climaxes in a meticulously detailed anatomy of a robbery that has reverberated through the genre ever since. An uncommonly naturalistic view of a seamy underworld, The Asphalt Jungle painstakingly depicts the calm professionalism and toughness of its gangster heroes while evincing a remarkable depth of compassion for their all-too-human fragility, and it showcases a master filmmaker at the height of his powers.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• Audio commentary from 2004 by film historian Drew Casper, featuring recordings of actor James Whitmore
• New interviews with film noir historian Eddie Muller and cinematographer John Bailey
• Archival footage of writer-director John Huston discussing the film
Pharos of Chaos, a 1983 documentary about actor Sterling Hayden
• Episode of the television program City Lights from 1979 featuring John Huston
• Audio excerpts of archival interviews with Huston
• Excerpts from footage of the 1983 AFI Lifetime Achievement Award ceremony honoring Huston, featuring actor Sam Jaffe and the filmmaker
• Trailer
• New English subtitle translation
• PLUS: An essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien
• More!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:44 pm 

Glad to see they've done a new translation for the subtitles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:47 pm 

domino harvey wrote:
Can't wait for the minuscule new extras!!!!!

whoops

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:32 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Only too happy to be proven wrong!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:33 pm 

Is this first Marilyn Monroe on DVD/blu-ray in the collection?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:47 pm 

Ashirg wrote:
Is this first Marilyn Monroe on DVD/blu-ray in the collection?

Yes.

The extras here really are something else. That two-hour Sterling Hayden doc played festivals got a small theatrical release in 1983. It's sounds like it's not some hagiography either, but more of a direct cinema experience with the aging and embittered Hayden. I'm not familiar with Toronto TV personality Brian Linehan or his City Lights show, but it sounds like he was lauded for his interview style, and it's always fun to hear Huston as raconteur. Throw in the Eddie Muller and John Bailey interviews, and you've got quite a package. This is how you upgrade a Warner release to your standards, Criterion.

I wonder if the "More!" might be an episode of the TV series of The Asphalt Jungle. It mostly had nothing to do with the film, but one episode, "The Professor," is more or less a remake of it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:19 pm 

Beaver in the Jungle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:36 pm 

This looks pretty awesome. CC does another stellar job with an old hollywood b&w.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:42 am 

Blu-ray.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:41 pm 

Had a blast revisiting this film, but had one beautiful unexpected pleasure at watching the 1979 City Lights episode on the disc. I knew it was there, but never made the connection that this was, of course, the same City Lights with Brian Linehan that I used to come home to in the suburbs of Toronto and find my mother watching almost every day.

And then I remembered this little beauty from childhood and chuckled to myself all evening:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dCEUErRzWE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:27 am 

Jeff wrote:
That two-hour Sterling Hayden doc played festivals got a small theatrical release in 1983. It's sounds like it's not some hagiography either, but more of a direct cinema experience with the aging and embittered Hayden.

I finally got around to watching Pharos of Chaos the other night and man is it dark. As a film, it's pretty poorly made, but the interviews they got with Hayden are fascinating and unsettling. Hayden is incredibly drunk, stoned, and bitter throughout. At that point in his life, he basically was Roger Wade from The Long Goodbye. In the hands of better filmmakers, this could have been a great documentary. Still, it's an incredibly frank portrait of a renowned actor, and I'm glad Criterion included it on the disc.