143 That Obscure Object of Desire

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: 143 That Obscure Object of Desire

#51 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:11 am

And Matthieu was, in a sense, also doubled -- body by Fernando R, voice by Michel P. Has anyone ever heard a reason given for this?

Mr Sausage

#52 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:58 am

david hare wrote:The great thing about the two actresses is so many people never even noticed it - I will confess I definitely didn't when I saw this on first release in the seventies and I was already very familiar with Don Luis.
Not so surprising after you see this.

Feego

#53 Post by Feego » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:47 pm

I watched this last night as a double feature with Josef von Sternberg's The Devil Is a Woman, and I found it to be quite an interesting experience. It was my first time seeing the Sternberg film, and it holds up surprisingly well along side Bunuel's film. Most intriguing was the fact that in the Sternberg version, Marlene Dietrich's Concha actually has several men masochistically suffering under her allure, not just one. The earlier film is also quite cynical in its own way, especially the ending (which, as I understand, the censors initially objected to).

Has anyone else seen The Devil Is a Woman? I recommend watching the films together.

HistoryProf

#54 Post by HistoryProf » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:27 pm

j99

#55 Post by j99 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Has anyone seen the Optimum Releasing version? My copy is in mono but it states it is in stereo on the sleeve. Was this generally the case or do I have a faulty copy?

MichaelB

#56 Post by MichaelB » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:42 pm

I'd be astounded if the film was meant to be in stereo. Dolby Stereo had only just been introduced, and it certainly wasn't being applied to small-scale art movies at that time - in fact, I think Jerzy Skolimowski's The Shout was the first qualifying title, and that was made the following year. And there's an obvious artistic reason for The Shout to make use of Dolby, which absolutely doesn't apply to Obscure Object.

antnield

#57 Post by antnield » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:51 pm

I've got Optimum's eight-disc Bunuel set with the slimline cases. My Obscure Desire says mono on the sleeve and is mono on the disc.

j99

#58 Post by j99 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:40 pm

You're both correct. Perhaps I should rephrase the question. I also have the 8 disc box set, however the sound of "Obscure Object" only comes out of one speaker and is the only disc to do so. I wondered if anyone else had the same problem?

tojoed

#59 Post by tojoed » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:52 pm

j99 wrote:You're both correct. Perhaps I should rephrase the question. I also have the 8 disc box set, however the sound of "Obscure Object" only comes out of one speaker and is the only disc to do so. I wondered if anyone else had the same problem?
There were some faulty discs at the time of release and Optimum recalled them.
See this thread for more info on how to get a replacement.

j99

#60 Post by j99 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:53 pm

tojoed wrote:There were some faulty discs at the time of release and Optimum recalled them.
See this thread for more info on how to get a replacement.
Thanks for the link. I guess it's a bit late in the day to get a replacement but at least I now know the reason for the glitch.

rohmerin

#61 Post by rohmerin » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:39 pm

The French dubbed version doesn't work for me at all. I've seen the Spanish version many years ago but I think it was better. Given that it's a co-production, but it was the Oscar contender I don't know why the French is always considered as the proper version.

Jack Phillips

#62 Post by Jack Phillips » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:45 pm

rohmerin wrote:The French dubbed version doesn't work for me at all.
Personally, I love hearing Michel Piccoli's voice coming out of Fernando Rey's mouth, but to each his own.