213 Richard III

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
skuhn8

Re: 213 Richard III

#26 Post by skuhn8 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:10 am

HerrSchreck wrote:
skweeker wrote:Yes agreed Looking for Richard is top notch.

As to other filmed versions of the story of Richard III, on second thought, my preference still runs to the use of Shakespeare's actual words: I like hearing the bard's words delivered by good Brit stage-trained actors.

IIRC, 'Tower of London', though based on the story of Richard III, and as entertaining as it is as a movie, did not use the Bard's words. And the silent version....well, no speaking, therefore NOT Shakespeare.

The making of a good film from the words of Shakespeare is not a simple task: the film-maker is asked to add a lot to what is there. But I yet prefer that the film-maker NOT jettison the actual words...
If you knew the silent version, you'd know that the actors are indeed speaking the lines of the play precisely, and that Frederick Warde was one of the biggest Shakespearean actors of his time-- an Olivier-esque legend indeed. The film was, just like the Olivier version, the film industry using whatever means technology made available at the time to film wha they deemed The Great Rendering of Richard. Thus the 1912 absolutely IS Shakespeare.

My quote about Tower of London was meant to illustrate how bad I think the Olivier film is.. for TOL is almost like one of those stupid little family shows you see on the outdoor sets at Universal Studios Orlando... but I still derive more enjoyment from it than the CC.

I also like Ian Hunter-- his lusty, rugged, bone-chewing, meat-tearing machismo in this film is great-- even in stupid roles like that, so...
Re: 1912 Richarch III.
But how much of the pleasure in this performance derives from a knowledge who Warde is and thus the faith that it is a topnotch rendering of the role? I'm just saying that it seems hardly fair to to knock Larry O.'s performance in favor of one that we can't hear but base the value of on historical sources....sources that are probably echoed in later assessments of Olivier's performance. Had someone never seen the '55 version and we were to play it for him/her with the sound off and the subtitles on and a sheath of critiques and reviews attesting to its high calibre, would their assessment of Olivier be fair, even if a positive assessment? Perhaps I'm being a combination of dense and audiocentric, but as much as I enjoy and value reading Shakespeare I don't think that a performance of Shakespeare is a 'Performance of Shakespeare' unless there is a audible delivery of the Bard's lines, apologies to mimes and silent film performers. Not passing judgment on a film that does not contain this (i.e. '12 Richard III), but for all we know Warde was intermittently humming, squealing and lisping through a hodgepodge of moliere, nonsense verse and dirty limericks with dramatic gesticulation and spot on mise en scene.

HerrSchreck

#27 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:53 am

Well, I think you're confused on a number of points.

I said I like the 1912 film better-- I'm talking the film as a whole, and its atmosphere of sinister horror. This is my personal opinion. My comparison isn't between performances... my problem is not with-- or at least entirely with (I really didn't criticize it anywhere in this thread or say anything bad about it)-- Olivier's performance. I think the direction is blah, the cinematography uninspired and faulty, and the overall effect skewed. I never really gave a specific critique of Olivier's performance, or said I personally thought one actor "did a better job" than the other. So I'm not really clear why you're singling this out-- it's be sort of a classic straw man argument if it weren't for the falsity ofthe following:
skuhn wrote:but for all we know Warde was intermittently humming, squealing and lisping through a hodgepodge of moliere, nonsense verse and dirty limericks with dramatic gesticulation and spot on mise en scene.

Well now that's just silly. Not only does the documentary on the disc point out that Warde was wildly famous for his portrayal of Richard (which he'd toured extensively on), but goes on to contrast his portrayal of the part with that of Oliviers-- and actually scene specifically superimposes Olivier's dialog over Warde's lips to show how they almost delivered the text at the same clip in a cetain scene (when he woos Lady Anne at her hubby's funeral), so that Olivier's voice seems to come out of Warde's mouth, and to show that the plot wasn't rescripted, but was actually a faithful rendering of Warde's famous performance of Shakespeare's Richard againt the wonderful sets constructed in the Bronx and Westchester County for this, which is the oldest surviving American feature film. They used to think that features began in the US in 1913, but the discovery of this film provided an earlier specimen. The investment was made because they felt giving everyone the opportunity to see the play with Warde performing his famous role, with the added benefit of it playing out against more realistic backdrops than stage sets, would be a nobrainer.

I er also would have thought you held me in somewhat higher esteem than to think that I'd base my enjoyment on the mere "knowledge who (ANY ACTOR) is and thus the faith that it is a topnotch rendering of the role" and the woo-woo-woo's of "historical sources".

My overarching point from the beginning of this thread is that the '55 fails as a film. For me the issue of the performance is secondary-- I do think Olivier's performance is better than the film as a whole.
I don't think that a performance of Shakespeare is a 'Performance of Shakespeare' unless there is a audible delivery of the Bard's lines, apologies to mimes and silent film performers.

Is this only Shakespeare (i e Jannings' Othello, Nielsen's Hamlet also are not "performances of Shakespeare"?), or does this apply for you to all performances in silent films?

skweeker

#28 Post by skweeker » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:35 pm

Shakespeare wrote plays, not dumb-shows: and Throne of Blood, a magnificent film, is as much Shakespeare, as Shakespeare is Montaigne. That is to say, that there is some relation between the works: but one is not the other, by any means.

And plays are not written to be read: reading Shakespeare is not seeing Shakespeare's play: just as reading a screenplay does not equate to seeing the movie.

Getting Shakespeare's words , the audible words heard by the ear, not read by the eye, as the crucial part of the film experience is the thing for me: otherwise it can only be said to be "based upon" Shakespeare (some would retort with, "what in English Modern Literature is not?", but I digress): it could not - whatever its qualities otherwise may be - accurately be called a "film of Shakespeare's play". Nor could a silent film of the performance be called such, as it is missing the one thing that Shakespeare actually provides: the words which are to be spoken.

Editing the bard is ok, of course, and of long tradition both in the theatre and on the screen, but the rephrasing of his words or the interpolation of wholly new dialogue, would be, I submit, a too much: and not hearing the words of the play but rather reading them from subs/intertitles, or indeed listening to the French dub track, also does not count as "being Shakespeare", either.

Without the spoken words themselves, there literally is nothing left of Shakespeare: he was not a storyteller, except in terms of a misleading and inaccurate metaphor. Not a storyteller: Shakespeare was a playwright. And he used specific English words, arranged in a specific order. And without those words, it ain't Shakespeare....

Bah. "a bit too much", in the above...

And as to those above saying that Olivier was "over the top" in his portrayal: IMO the character is written that way.
Shakespeare well knew how to exaggerate his characters in such a way as to capture the audience's attention.
Shakespeare was a showman: like De Mille, he knew that subtlety is not necessary for corking good entertainment. But strong clear characterization is.

HerrSchreck

#29 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:05 pm

So, again: is this inadequacy for you of silent film to deliver The Actual Tale-- this disqualification of dialog heard in the mind instead of in the speaker-system-- is it limited to just to Shakespeare, or all scripts filmed without an audio track?

knives

#30 Post by knives » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:10 pm

You know you're just going to be running in a circle with this Herr Schrek?

HerrSchreck

#31 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:12 pm

Sooner or later he'll have to answer.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#32 Post by swo17 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:13 pm

I refuse to read skweeker's argument. I will wait for the talkie version.

skweeker

#33 Post by skweeker » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:44 pm

Just Shakespeare. A rather special case, IMO.

In general though I think that silent films are generally better than most sound films. They are in some sense purer "films", being more visual by nature, without the crutch of dialogue to serve for exposition, and in general lacking the distractions of sound effects. ( True that most were accompanied by musicians playing: yet the immutable amongst all the showings was (and is) the visual film, as the accompaniement was (and is) so variable. )
Dialogue can be for lazy directors: IMHO things in film ought to be shown, not stated...

In addition, enough time has elapsed between the silent era and today, that the wheat has been separated from the chaff, critically speaking : sadly, it seems much of both has been irretrievably lost.

Recently though I've been focusing on the films of the 1950s: hence my posts of late.

PS I am looking forward to watching Gance's J'Accuse and La Roue. ( I have long cherished my Zoetrope VHS of Gance's Napoleon, even with its problems as to score, etc. - and why is The Student Prince at Old Heidelberg not on R1 dvd yet? My MGM/UA VHS for that, too, is cherished, and these old tapes are amongst the few reasons I yet have the old VHS tape deck hooked up.) They shall sit patiently beside the Murnau/Borzage set on my shelf until such time as I feel like viewing them.

PPS Any thoughts or recommendations with respect to that Region 2 Laurel & Hardy many-disc box set? I've been eyeballing it on Amazon UK. Thanx in advance!

Binker

#34 Post by Binker » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:06 pm

Oh, please, stop. It's a perfectly reasonable position.
HerrSchreck wrote:
I don't think that a performance of Shakespeare is a 'Performance of Shakespeare' unless there is a audible delivery of the Bard's lines, apologies to mimes and silent film performers.

Is this only Shakespeare (i e Jannings' Othello, Nielsen's Hamlet also are not "performances of Shakespeare"?), or does this apply for you to all performances in silent films?
I'm somewhat confused as to why you would even think to make this extrapolation. What would it even be, that it's impossible to give a performance without spoken dialogue? Of course that's absurd. The notion that it's impossible to give a silent performance of Shakespeare because it eliminates the critical element which denotes a thing as Shakespeare, his words, is at the very least understandable. One could of course argue that it's still his story being told and thus it's still Shakespeare, but that's just another subjective but equally logical position.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#35 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:21 pm

skweeker --

Have you seen either of Kozintsev's Shakespeare films?

Also, have you read his book on (among other things) transmuting Shakespeare's words into cinematic imagery (The Space of Tragedy)?

skweeker

#36 Post by skweeker » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:47 pm

michael: no to both questions: but why the addition of the word "cinematic"? Transforming Shakespeare's words into imagery is what every single production (theatrical or cinematic) of Shakespeare (properly-so called), has ever done. That's why IMO the Bard is so durable: the permutations of presentation are endless. But by the same token, the very words themselves become even more important, if one is to call any production "Shakespeare", rather then a mere "adaptation of Shakespeare" - the trappings around the words are so infinitely variable (and IMHO the variety and multiplicity of the forms of the staging of his works that have occurred over the centuries would have astonished ol' Will himself).

It follows that for me, a radio production of Shakespeare, is "more Shakespeare" than a silent presentation, or a written copy of the work , could ever be. Although such would yet be a very poor cousin to film and theatrical productions of Shakespeare.

Whatever the case may be, it is indisputable that Olivier's Richard III is Shakespeare, properly-so called.

Poor old Will, his blood has turned to words- but where there's a Will, Ann Hath a way.

Eh? : )

Sloper

#37 Post by Sloper » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:32 am

skweeker wrote:Editing the bard is ok, of course, and of long tradition both in the theatre and on the screen, but the rephrasing of his words or the interpolation of wholly new dialogue, would be, I submit, a too much
Well that counts out Orson Welles, doesn't it? Always knew that guy was a hack.

I don't have time to go into this in depth now, but I do (to some extent) sympathise with Skweeker's position. It is understandable. But it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Spend some time actually studying cinematic adaptations - or just stage productions - of Shakespeare, and you'll realise what a waste of time it is going around yelling 'not Shakespeare!'.

Also, if Shakespeare was not meant to be read, why were so many of his plays published in his own lifetime - and his complete works published shortly after his death? Though again this 'the plays were not meant to be read' thing is something I hear a lot from people who ought to know better.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#38 Post by domino harvey » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:15 am

Well, I'm with Charles Lamb and think that Shakespeare should only be read, not performed. There, now all the heat's off everyone else in the thread. You're welcome.

Highway 61

#39 Post by Highway 61 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:32 am

For what it's worth, that's also the position of Harold Bloom--which clearly has something to do with his praise for Throne of Blood and Ran as the best Shakespeare screen adaptations.

Tolmides

#40 Post by Tolmides » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:36 am

domino harvey wrote:Well, I'm with Charles Lamb and think that Shakespeare should only be read, not performed. There, now all the heat's off everyone else in the thread. You're welcome.
Wasn't it Samuel Johnson who said something similar, although I don't think he argued as explicitly against performance.

I don't see why skweeker's comments are attracting so much heat. Shakespeare without the words isn't Shakespeare. That's not a mark against Welles, Kurosawa and others, but they are clearly adaptions of Shakespeare.

skweeker

#41 Post by skweeker » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:35 am

Pseudo-bowdlerization, that is, bowdlerizing based on taste and convenience for cinematic/theatrical/written presentation, rather than delicacy, yet partakes of the same sin, and ought to draw the same notice. And the actual Mr. T. Bowdler did indeed edit Shakespeare!

Welles' words are not Shakespeare's: and Bloom expressly calls these films "adaptations". Why the problem with drawing the distinction between those works which directly use Shakespeare's words, and those which do not - some indeed which do not even use a word from Shakespeare's pen?

The distinction, as has been pointed out, really makes no difference as to the aesthetic worth of such works: it rather goes to the attribution of authorship. Shakespeare wrote his words. And Welles and Kurosawa wrote theirs, and presented their works: not Shakespeare's.

Most importantly, his "history plays" (like Richard III) are not even Shakespeare's original stories: they are based on historical incident, which makes Shakespeare's words all that much more important, as it's not the tale, but the telling, so to speak, that distinguishes Shakespeare. They did steal from (or were inspired by) Shakespeare, and used his name....Welles did anyhow, I do not know if Kurosawa himself ever claimed that Ran "was" Shakespeare, rather than being a "mere" adaptation of Shakespeare.

Also, the plays are/were published for use in staging the plays. Like a written musical score. I don't think that Shakespeare's contemporaries read the plays, in preference to attending the performance.

PS Did Welles really put up an "Additional Dialogue by Orson Welles" card in the credits?

PPS Can't wait for the edition of Shakespeare "written so that you can understand it", a la "new style" Bibles...

PPPS I'm not sure if this whole discussion is not rather a sub-set of the arguments over the validity of ANY translation: can one truly read Tolstoy in English? Or is it a "mere" translation of Tolstoy being read?

PPPPS Who can be said to be the "author" of a film, anyway? Is that a merely factual question?
Or perhaps the attribute of "authorship" is inapplicable to a film?

As to reading rather than hearing Shakespeare: Without the spoken words, the iambic pentameter disappears. Not all hear voices in their heads while reading.

After all Shakespeare was a poet as well as a playwright, and both at the same time.

Another point as to the popularity of written editions of Shakespeare: it has not been too many generations, since family members and others would read aloud to each other, at private gatherings. The popularity of written editions says nothing about whether it's better to hear the words, rather than to merely read them silently.

Pre-electrical social reading never lost the essential aurality of Shakespeare. And reading aloud to others may be what Dr. Johnson had in mind, when he opined about his preference. Times have changed, after all.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#42 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:03 am

Tolmides wrote:
domino harvey wrote:Well, I'm with Charles Lamb and think that Shakespeare should only be read, not performed. There, now all the heat's off everyone else in the thread. You're welcome.
Wasn't it Samuel Johnson who said something similar, although I don't think he argued as explicitly against performance.

I don't see why skweeker's comments are attracting so much heat. Shakespeare without the words isn't Shakespeare. That's not a mark against Welles, Kurosawa and others, but they are clearly adaptions of Shakespeare.
I think th heat is due to Monsieur Skweeker's tone -- in particular, his rather absolutist dismissal of other viewpoints -- and his "lecturing" of people who just might have as much (or more) familiarity with Shakespeare's work than he does.

MEK
(a Shakespeare "fan" for 45 years or so)

skweeker

#43 Post by skweeker » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:07 am

Well I appreciate accuracy. Ran ain't Shakespeare: O's Richard III is.
I've tried to explore, what makes the difference?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#44 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:17 am

I would submit, Monsieur Skweeker, that you have an unduly one dimensional (thoroughly Anglo-centric) notion of Shakespeare -- that ignores the fact that his works have had (in translation) an immense impact on the literature, drama and cinema of many other countries. There would seem to be some sort of visual and dramatic "poetry" in the formal construction of his works that goes beyond the English words he used.

Or are all these Russian and German and Japanese (etc) lovers of Shakespeare's work utterly deluded -- having no idea whatsoever (unlike you) of the true nature of Shakespeare's genius.

I agree with you on only two points. (1) It is a wonderful thing to hear Shakespeare's original words well-uttered. (2) Ran has nothing but the most superficial resemblances to Shakespeare's Lear. ;~}

colinr0380

#45 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:41 am

I would also argue that there is such a thing as being too faithful to the text. I much prefer Branagh's Love's Labour's Lost with its 30s musical numbers that capture so of the emotion of the play through the use of appropriate songs while I find Hamlet, although an impressive achievement in being a full play to film translation to have portions where I feel the actors are just 'getting through' the huge chunks of text without any emotional investment. Given the choice between the spirit of the text and the actual wording, I would much rather see the spirit adhered to.

I know this is seriously damaging my high brow credentials coming so soon after my attempts at analysing the Saw films (!) but I've always liked Theatre of Blood with Vincent Price, in which the actor driven insane by his reviews for his terrible Shakespearean performances takes revenge on his critics by killing them in the manner from each of the plays he was castigated for!

He is of course finally foiled by his own lack of knowledge of Shakespeare when he straps the hero into a chair to have red hot daggers plunged into his eyes reminiscent of the Duke of Gloucester's blinding in Lear. Just as the audience is thinking to themselves "Hang on. Gloucester did not actually die from having his eyes gouged out in the play", the hero manages to escape from his fate and foil the villain! So while the film couldn't be further from Shakespeare it very much has the spirit of respecting the integrity of its source material, unlike Price's maniacal actor!

skweeker

#46 Post by skweeker » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:53 am

"Utterly deluded" is a bit strong, but they are apt to lose something in the translation, if only the spoken accents and metres of Shakespeare's verses.
Different languages sound different because they are different.
But this aspect is just a facet of the entire problem of the possibility of accurate translation of an inveterate punster as the Bard. Can you preserve intact the puns, the meter, the rhymes, the verbal play, of Shakespeare, in Russian? In German? In Japanese?
I don't mean to be "anglo-centric", but Shakespeare wrote in English...Boy did he ever.
He was a poet. As with all verbal or written things, translations may be good or bad, more or less exact. There is much of the translator in every translation of poetry, after all.
But it's best to read/listen in the original language of any poet, if you can.

OTOH insofar as the bard was a dramatist, he might well influence others who can only see his work, even if not understanding the full range of the English words. There truly is a visual sense embedded in Shakespeare - almost like a series of tableaux. Like a series of tapestries, hanging along the long walls of a hall in a Tudor castle - visual high points in the stories he shows. Nevertheless, the words are what get you up to those high points.
Last edited by skweeker on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Adam

#47 Post by Adam » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:53 am

Sloper wrote:Also, if Shakespeare was not meant to be read, why were so many of his plays published in his own lifetime - and his complete works published shortly after his death? Though again this 'the plays were not meant to be read' thing is something I hear a lot from people who ought to know better.
So that people not with Shakepeare's company could perform them? As I recall, many of his plays were published with portions remembered by other members of the company, not as one definitive set of words scripted by Shakespeare himself.

And Shakespeare often used plots that were extant, found in other plays of the time, etc. If indeed Shakespeare wrote them at all. :wink:

I think skweeker's argument makes perfect sense. The play is the words, and variants (silent films, Kurosawa's versions, etc etc) are all "adaptations of Shakespeare." A read version is still S's words, and I agree, it is better to see it well-performed & spoken, but it's still Shakespeare. I remember reading King Lear for the first time, just for pleasure, and thinking "damn, that's a great play." Just discovering it for myself, and not having a teacher tell me it. (Don't ask how I got to that point and hadn't read King Lear, but it seemed like my English classes kept using Macbeth, Hamlet, and Midsummer Night's Dream.)

It's a strict view, and I don't entirely agree with it, but it makes sense to me, and is worthy of a good discussion.

akaten

#48 Post by akaten » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:03 pm

Adam wrote:
Sloper wrote:Also, if Shakespeare was not meant to be read, why were so many of his plays published in his own lifetime - and his complete works published shortly after his death? Though again this 'the plays were not meant to be read' thing is something I hear a lot from people who ought to know better.
So that people not with Shakepeare's company could perform them? As I recall, many of his plays were published with portions remembered by other members of the company, not as one definitive set of words scripted by Shakespeare himself.

And Shakespeare often used plots that were extant, found in other plays of the time, etc. If indeed Shakespeare wrote them at all. :wink:

I think skweeker's argument makes perfect sense. The play is the words, and variants (silent films, Kurosawa's versions, etc etc) are all "adaptations of Shakespeare." A read version is still S's words, and I agree, it is better to see it well-performed & spoken, but it's still Shakespeare. I remember reading King Lear for the first time, just for pleasure, and thinking "damn, that's a great play." Just discovering it for myself, and not having a teacher tell me it. (Don't ask how I got to that point and hadn't read King Lear, but it seemed like my English classes kept using Macbeth, Hamlet, and Midsummer Night's Dream.)

It's a strict view, and I don't entirely agree with it, but it makes sense to me, and is worthy of a good discussion.
I cannot help but find it very problematic to imply that a play or film that relies upon the exact words of Shakespeare plays is in any way comparable to reading alone or with others, performance isn't recital.

Sloper

#49 Post by Sloper » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:29 pm

Skweeker – have you actually seen Welles’s Shakespeare films? I take it you haven’t actually seen any silent Shakespeare? (Neither have I, much to my shame.) Have you read many of his plays? Do you know Macbeth, Othello and Henry IV (the plays Welles adapted)? You refer to Richard III as being based on real events, but even Mel Gibson is more sincere than Shakespeare in his claims of historical accuracy.

Ages ago I saw a great production of Hamlet which violated the text in every conceivable way. At a Q and A session afterwards, some old codger said he didn’t know what language the production was in, but that it certainly wasn’t English. He was wrong in a pretty obvious way – the actors had performed in English, though not always seeming to care whether people could understand them – but the cast were wrong to be as dismissive of him as they were. They’d chosen to do a radical ‘re-interpretation’, and should have tried to justify it. Though your posts are frustratingly high on opinion and low on facts/evidence, you raise interesting questions. Since you've made the effort to articulate your views, I’ll try to address some of the things you’ve said.
skweeker wrote:Pseudo-bowdlerization, that is, bowdlerizing based on taste and convenience for cinematic/theatrical/written presentation, rather than delicacy, yet partakes of the same sin, and ought to draw the same notice.
Not entirely sure what this means, but are you saying that even a theatrical presentation which alters Shakespeare’s text (as it appears on the page) in order to ‘adapt’ it to make it more to the ‘taste’ and ‘convenience’ of the theatre (to use your own terms) is a perversion, a bowdlerisation? Because if you really think that (Tolmides and Adam, you also seem to be saying that ‘Shakespeare is his words’), you have a major problem on your hands. Stage directions in Shakespeare are few and far between, so according to your own rule the actors in a ‘proper’ stage production should do nothing but enter, exit (pursued by a bear – a real one, not ‘a man in a bear suit’ because Shakespeare doesn’t say that) and occasionally kiss or stab each other. As Adam himself points out, some of the texts we have were probably pieced together from memory, by actors – so we’re really not dealing with holy writ here. The texts may already be what you would call ‘adaptations’.

You persist in calling Olivier’s Richard ‘Shakespeare, properly so-called’, and yet even though it’s been years since I saw this film I can remember quite a long processional sequence at the beginning; Edward being crowned, yes? Not in Shakespeare’s play. Olivier’s addition. Therefore, if Welles’s films are not Shakespeare merely because they add some things of their own, neither is Olivier’s. Don’t even get me started on Henry V and Hamlet.
skweeker wrote:There truly is a visual sense embedded in Shakespeare - almost like a series of tableaux. Like a series of tapestries, hanging along the long walls of a hall in a Tudor castle - visual high points in the stories he shows.
There are no visuals in Shakespeare, only words. And I don’t think he ever gives directions as to how to arrange any sort of ‘tableaux’. In fact, I’ve got no idea what you’re referring to. Examples?
skweeker wrote:Welles' words are not Shakespeare's: and Bloom expressly calls these films "adaptations". Why the problem with drawing the distinction between those works which directly use Shakespeare's words, and those which do not - some indeed which do not even use a word from Shakespeare's pen?
It really does sound as though you haven’t seen Welles’s films, but I have no problem with the distinction you draw. In fact I get quite impatient when people say that Throne of Blood or Ran ‘are’ Shakespeare – Kurosawa didn’t say they were, as far as I know – because by the same logic, Bridget Jones’s Diary ‘is’ Pride and Prejudice. Here’s the problem:
skweeker wrote:The distinction, as has been pointed out, really makes no difference as to the aesthetic worth of such works: it rather goes to the attribution of authorship. Shakespeare wrote his words. And Welles and Kurosawa wrote theirs, and presented their works: not Shakespeare's.
As you yourself say, attribution of authorship (like everything we’re discussing) is pretty arbitrary. I guess everyone has to make their own mind up as to what entitles a person to be considered the ‘author’, or what entitles a dramatic work to be considered ‘Shakespeare’. But by your rule, no production of Shakespeare is ever anything other than an ‘adaptation’, unless it consists of some pure representation of ‘the text’, whatever that is. It certainly wouldn’t involve any human beings. Just words.
skweeker wrote:Also, the plays are/were published for use in staging the plays. Like a written musical score. I don't think that Shakespeare's contemporaries read the plays, in preference to attending the performance.
I see Adam has also made this argument. Neither of you seem to have any real evidence for this assumption, and I’m certainly not an expert myself; you may be completely right. But the question as to whether the plays were written at least partly in order to be read is one that is hotly, or at least warmly, debated by scholars. Some people think Troilus and Cressida, a notoriously tough one to stage, was meant to be read. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that Seneca’s plays were not written to be performed, and he was a great model for Renaissance writers; in any case, learned men read and respected his tragedies, so why is it so strange to think that Shakespeare might have wanted to be treated with the same respect? It’s true that this would have been a fairly radical idea at the time. When Ben Jonson published his complete works, including plays as well as poems, in (I think) 1616, this was seen as a very presumptuous act. What nerve for a playwright to assume that his dramatic works should be considered on the same literary plane as his poems!

The truth is, we don’t know what Shakespeare thought about this, and never will. But his bestselling work, in his own lifetime, was Venus and Adonis, a narrative poem which he wrote in 1592, when the theatres were closed due to an outbreak of plague. It was written to be read, not performed (also debatable; apparently the RSC’s puppet show was great), and if you ask me, or most people, it reads a good deal less well than the plays. If people liked reading poetry, why not drama as well? Make up your own mind about this one, but much as I love going to the theatre or cinema, and although I’ve seen many good (and some great) productions, I’ve never seen one which ‘did justice’ to Shakespeare as he appears on the page. Chimes at Midnight comes very close. So, in short, I really disagree with you on the ‘essential aurality’ of Shakespeare. No human voice, or sound, can do justice to those words. Just my opinion on the matter.
skweeker wrote:As to reading rather than hearing Shakespeare: Without the spoken words, the iambic pentameter disappears. Not all hear voices in their heads while reading.
Read these lines in your head: ‘To be or not to be, that is the question. / Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer / The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, / Or to take arms against a sea of troubles…’ I think they were intended to be pronounced as iambic pentameters, with an extra unstressed syllable at the end of each line (to suggest the character’s halting, uncertain state of mind, etc), but I have never heard them pronounced as such. I can’t imagine any actor getting away with it today. Everyone would think it sounded weird. Does Olivier really say, ‘Now IS the WINter OF our DISconTENT’? Maybe he does and I’ve forgotten.

Anyway, Shakespeare’s metre really isn’t all that regular. Try reading the plays, and you’ll see. Compare him with something like Marlowe’s Tamburlaine, which tends to be regular as clockwork. Literally everyone disagrees about poetic metre. Some major scholars argue that Paradise Lost isn’t written in iambic pentameter, even though it seems to me pretty clear that it is. We can only make educated guesses as to what Shakespeare’s dialogue ‘sounded like’ in his own day. There are a million different ways to pronounce and inflect each line; one of the great things about this writer.
skweeker wrote:PS Did Welles really put up an "Additional Dialogue by Orson Welles" card in the credits?
The credit on Chimes says ‘Adapted from plays by William Shakespeare’; the film contains material from five of them, in fact, plus occasional tiny insertions by Welles in order to smooth over some transitions (mostly people calling each other’s names, etc). So yes, an adaptation, and the closest thing to a ‘faithful’ representation of Shakespeare’s genius that I’ve ever seen. I should also say that it’s quite common, even for the RSC, to re-write bits slightly, especially puns; a recent production of Henry IV altered the ‘effect of gravy’ joke so that the audience would get it. According to you, that production was not Shakespeare. Your distinction between ‘editing’ and ‘re-ordering’ the words is also pretty shaky, but this post is already too long.

A man can stand on a stage for two minutes banging his head with a stick and call it ‘Shakespeare’, and some would defend his claim (I wouldn’t). The same man could stand on the same stage for six hours mumbling the text of Hamlet into his hat, and by your own account even this would be truer to Shakespeare than a silent Richard III or Chimes at Midnight, even though in a very real sense, like many ‘faithful’ productions of Shakespeare, it would be an utter betrayal and travesty of this great author. At the extreme end of either argument, madness lies, and each of us has our own views on where to locate the balance. But your own stated principles on this subject are hopelessly limiting and self-defeating.

HerrSchreck

#50 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:45 pm

Binker wrote:Oh, please, stop. It's a perfectly reasonable position.
HerrSchreck wrote:

I'm somewhat confused as to why you would even think to make this extrapolation. What would it even be, that it's impossible to give a performance without spoken dialogue? Of course that's absurd. The notion that it's impossible to give a silent performance of Shakespeare because it eliminates the critical element which denotes a thing as Shakespeare, his words, is at the very least understandable. One could of course argue that it's still his story being told and thus it's still Shakespeare, but that's just another subjective but equally logical position.
First off there's no need for the "Oh please stop".

On the meat and potatoes here, I'm not entirely clear on what you mean because of the construction of your reply, it's a little confusing. I never said that it's impossible to give a performance without spoken dialog-- nobody ever said such a thing and this was never the thrust of our discussion.

What I was doing was probing the ideas behind skweeker's assertions regarding what I guess we could regard "authorial authenticity". He alleges that a performance of Richard III filmed during the silent era, where the actors are reciting the play, etc, as received by the cognitive senses today in a theatre, on disc, is "not" "Shakespeare".

My questions to him are quite logical-- for him there is some form of reduction going on via the presentation of silent film... reduction away from authenticity, into something else... something else "not shakespeare". What is it then? While what the men on the set in 1912 performed and saw was Shakespeare, for skweeker, we today see something that is not SHakespeare because the words being spoken on the screen in the celluloid record of the 1912 event do not tickle the air molecules to create an audio reception...

So my questions were primarily two: is it Shakespeare, or is it silent film? Is there something "special" in Shakespeare only than can't come across via the medium of silent film, but can in other scripts, plays, scenarios, no matter how good the writing, no matter how profound the wisdom, no matter how great the talent? OR is there something inherent in all writing-- a script by Gouvernier Morris, Henrik Galeen, a scenario by Carl Mayer, Thea von Harbou, etc-- that does not "transmit" sufficiently via the medium of silent film whereby we can say we are "watching Mayer". "Harbou", "Morris", "Galeen", etc.

In other words the problem either is in the greatness of Shakespeare, or it is in the medium of silent film, which requires you to hear the words in your mind instead of in your speakers.

Skweekers assertion is that the problem is in the greatness of Shakespeare, that there is something there in the play that is lost when the sound of the actors voices is lost. But that this something is NOT lost when other writer's work is being transmitted-- their work comes across fully wholesale and with complete fidelity... the imagination attaching a hypothetical voice to the speaker (along with intertitles) is quite satisfactory to the process of Authorial Authentication in all other cases, but in Shakespeares case, if we can't hear the voice of the actor, it is not.

Which I think is completely wrong. If Shakespeare isn't Shakespeare in silents, then nobody gets across intact. Not Mayer, not Harbou and not Galeen. Nobody. There can be no qualitative exceptions, not even based on one's opinion of the greatness of the words.