826 The New World

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
SquidLips

Re: 826 The New World

#326 Post by SquidLips » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:23 pm

I always love to see how many posts before someone has a complaint about a release.... This time it was two in :-)

I for one could not be happier. You want to give us 8 versions, fine with me. Watch them or not. This is not in my top three Malick films but particularly with the ability to compare different edit choices and the documentary and interviews, this will be my favorite release this year so far (Touch of Zen comes close behind).

movielocke

#327 Post by movielocke » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:35 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Wondering how everything will be presented on the separate formats. My guess is that the first two Blu-rays (and 3 DVDs) will house the various cuts of the film and that the remainder will have the special features.
1 disc per cut, the fourth DVD disc is all the special features, the third bluray disc with the shortest cut has the special features, is my guess.

flyonthewall2983

#328 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:36 am

The doc that's on the New Line disc that presumably will be in tact in this version is 82 minutes. And I am guessing the other video pieces will be at least as long all combined, or even longer. I can't see all that footage sharing space on a Blu-ray disc too easily with the shortest cut of the film, but that's just my guess.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#329 Post by tenia » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:01 am

movielocke wrote: 1 disc per cut, the fourth DVD disc is all the special features, the third bluray disc with the shortest cut has the special features, is my guess.
I think it'd be the best. Otherwise, it would mean having the 150 and the 132 min cuts on the same disc, which looks like a lot.
flyonthewall2983 wrote:I can't see all that footage sharing space on a Blu-ray disc too easily with the shortest cut of the film, but that's just my guess.
You can always slightly compromise on disc space for extra features, while it shouldn't be done for the main feature.

Manny Karp

#330 Post by Manny Karp » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:27 am

movielocke wrote:
palefire wrote:I will nitpick. I'm rather pissed we still won't have the theatrical cut on blu-ray. The flow of the theatrical cut exceeds the longer cut, and Malick's later films greatly depend on an precise ebb and flow of sight and sound.

I am at least happy to finally see the Italian version. As for the 172 minute version, the only improvement I'm looking forward to is the sound mix. Which I'm sure Criterion fixed.
I think you have a reading comprehension problem. It is a 3 bluray disc, 4 DVD release with the theatrical cut and the oscar qualifying premiere cut both getting their own discs, and the new director's cut also getting it's own disc.
I think you might have a comprehension problem as well: The set only include the existing three cuts. The rumored new cut apparently does not exist or will not be included.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#331 Post by tenia » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:33 am

EDIT : silly me, I'm mixing it up with the 150 min cut. The 172 min is widely available on DVD but wasn't specifically screened in theaters, which would explain the phrasing. However, Criterion's phrasing still looks to me as if they're trying to make a big fuss over something which isn't new or difficult to access. Actually, the 135 and the 150 min cuts are more difficult to get today than the 172 min (though the 135 min cut is available on BD in Belgium).
It's also interesting to see they're claiming a theatrical 5.1 soundtrack... for something which has hardly been screened at all !

movielocke

#332 Post by movielocke » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:37 am

tenia wrote:EDIT : silly me, I'm mixing it up with the 150 min cut. The 172 min is widely available on DVD but wasn't specifically screened in theaters, which would explain the phrasing. However, Criterion's phrasing still looks to me as if they're trying to make a big fuss over something which isn't new or difficult to access. Actually, the 135 and the 150 min cuts are more difficult to get today than the 172 min (though the 135 min cut is available on BD in Belgium).
It's also interesting to see they're claiming a theatrical 5.1 soundtrack... for something which has hardly been screened at all !
my mistake, I only saw it in theaters and just missed catching the premiere cut. I wasn't aware the discs issued had any cuts other than the two that ran in theaters here in Los Angeles.

ivuernis

#333 Post by ivuernis » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:58 am

What's with the new title though: "i ne New Vorlc". I'm very pleased Criterion are releasing all three cuts of the film but why did they feel the need to butcher the title like that. It looks terrible.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#334 Post by tenia » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:26 am

movielocke wrote:
tenia wrote:EDIT : silly me, I'm mixing it up with the 150 min cut. The 172 min is widely available on DVD but wasn't specifically screened in theaters, which would explain the phrasing. However, Criterion's phrasing still looks to me as if they're trying to make a big fuss over something which isn't new or difficult to access. Actually, the 135 and the 150 min cuts are more difficult to get today than the 172 min (though the 135 min cut is available on BD in Belgium).
my mistake, I only saw it in theaters and just missed catching the premiere cut. I wasn't aware the discs issued had any cuts other than the two that ran in theaters here in Los Angeles.
The 135 min cut has always been available at least on DVD. The 172 min was introduced on BD as the main (if not the only one) version available on BD, while the 150 min has been available in Italy on DVD (out of the 3 versions, it certainly is the least visible on video worldwide).

I believe the 150 min only had a very short life in US theaters, and was also screened once or twice at Venice Film Festival. I don't think the 172 min ever had an official theatrical release (which is why I'm surprised at the mention of a theatrical 5.1 mix).

beamish13

#335 Post by beamish13 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:14 am

I haven't seen it since its original release, but I'm assuming that what I saw was the 150 minute cut, as I caught it at Los Angeles' Landmark multiplex before it expanded nationwide.
As an aside, that's the sole West Coast theatre that screened Kenneth Lonergan's Margaret (which had dirt from clearly being in storage and unplayed for years).

pzadvance

#336 Post by pzadvance » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:23 am

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think the 150 minute first cut was ever distributed in the US. My understanding was that it was only shown at festivals, then re edited to the 135 minute cut, which is what was distributed in US theaters

movielocke

#337 Post by movielocke » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:50 am

pzadvance wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think the 150 minute first cut was ever distributed in the US. My understanding was that it was only shown at festivals, then re edited to the 135 minute cut, which is what was distributed in US theaters
You are mistaken. It screened publicly at arc light Hollywood for Oscar qualification, and this was the cut on awards screeners. and also apparently at landmark, although I thought the Westside Pavillion landmark didn't open until 2006. I planned on seeing it at arc light but missed the window due yo holiday travel and wound up waiting for the wide distribution cut, which I saw at the grove.

eerik

#338 Post by eerik » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:04 pm

This one's going to be an expensive one to import. I don't suppose Criterion got the UK rights for this (or any other WB title)?

solaris72

Re:

#339 Post by solaris72 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:18 pm

Reading through the early pages of this thread produced a few oddities. Barmy claimed that the producer of the movie said at Walter Reade Theater that the 150m version would never see the light of day again per Malick's preference. (Which might be true, but if so obviously Malick had a change of heart.)

And then there's this...

Fletch F. Fletch wrote:Weird...

From DavisDVD:
Smells of box office desperation are global. Japanese company NTT Communications Corp will install fragrance-releasing equipment (read: giant Glade Plug-Ins) in several Japanese theaters premiering New Line's The New World later this month. According to Kyodo News, the scent generators will be located under "aroma premium seats" and will mix different herbs and oils during seven key scenes. Unlike the 1960's Smell-O-Vision however, the scents will enhance the senses and not try to match the fragrances onscreen. The company also plans to produce a $620 home version to synchronize with DVDs.
Maybe there's still time for a scratch-and-sniff page in Criterion's booklet...

The Narrator Returns

#340 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sun May 15, 2016 9:42 pm

Updated specs (despite the lack of an initial "More!").
High-definition digital transfers of the 135-minute theatrical cut and the 150-minute first cut of the film, supervised by Lubezki, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks on the Blu-rays

New piece featuring [Jacqueline] West’s design sketches

pzadvance

#341 Post by pzadvance » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:51 pm

Trees

#342 Post by Trees » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:30 pm

Images look great. The color work is in keeping with Malick's shift over the years toward image realism, with less contrast and saturation.

FrauBlucher

#343 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:31 am

Luke M

826 The New World

#344 Post by Luke M » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:48 pm

I ventured into the Blu-ray.com official thread to find out about the packaging and found myself reading a guy's rant about it being 3 discs. *sigh

Happy to see the picture looks fantastic though slightly disappointed there's a noticeable difference between the extended and two other versions - I prefer the theatrical cut.

hearthesilence

#345 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:17 am

Detail is definitely better on the extended cut - compare the frames showing that field of plants with the English soldier on the bottom right corner. Look especially at the leaves of each plant.

Norbie

#346 Post by Norbie » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:09 pm

So this "book" (listed in the extras) is really just an old school booklet, yes?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#347 Post by cdnchris » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:47 pm

Yes, it's a simple booklet, about 44 pages.

flyonthewall2983

#348 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:14 pm

Luke M wrote:I ventured into the Blu-ray.com official thread to find out about the packaging and found myself reading a guy's rant about it being 3 discs. *sigh
Same guy maybe?

Luke M

#349 Post by Luke M » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:52 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Luke M wrote:I ventured into the Blu-ray.com official thread to find out about the packaging and found myself reading a guy's rant about it being 3 discs. *sigh
Same guy maybe?
Imagine spending your Saturday writing that.

The Narrator Returns

#350 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:33 pm

Chris's review doesn't mention the American Cinematographer article said to be included in the booklet. Was that dropped or combined with the essay as the booklet description suggests?