49 Nights of Cabiria

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
psufootball07

Re: 49 Nights of Cabiria

#101 Post by psufootball07 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:22 pm

This was deemed OOP months ago, I dont see any updating or they would have done it before re-releasing it, either way I see a Blu Ray being the next possible outcome, but with the backlog of BRs, Che and what have you, I would suggest purchasing this.

psufootball07

#102 Post by psufootball07 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:55 pm

So this is OOP, and already off purchase from Amazon, so I would use B&N to pick it up ASAP if you dont already have it. Who knows if CC announces it next month in both SD and BR, who knows it could be just as likely as Contempt or RAN to go OOP for good.

R0lf

#103 Post by R0lf » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:23 am

I ordered this from B&N on the first day of their 50% sale. Very shortly after they removed their listing for the title and my order still hasn't shipped. Cabiria is sitting as the only removable item on that order so I'm not holding my breath on getting it.

psufootball07

#104 Post by psufootball07 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:19 pm

Yeah, CC let me know via Facebook that this was pretty much lost to copyrights. Anyways I would have loved to see this in HD as it is my favorite Fellini film.

HistoryProf

#105 Post by HistoryProf » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:26 am

This is airing multiple times on Sundance Channel over the next few weeks...

puxzkkx

#107 Post by puxzkkx » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:55 am

My reading of the ending is a bit more pessimistic than those of most of the posters here. I feel that by looking into the camera with that sad smile Cabiria is showing that she accepts the reality that love is impossible and she will never find it. The minstrel's song is a requiem of sorts for the possibility of true, unconditional connection.

I find the ending profoundly sad, and I think about it often.

dad1153

#108 Post by dad1153 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:43 am

I just finished watching this a few minutes ago for the first time (DVR'ed from Sundance Channel a few months ago). The ending left both a huge hole in my heart and a silly grin on my face. When Giulietta Masina (who is a bundle of joyful, barely-repressed energy throughout a flick she's basically carrying on her tiny shoulders... I wanted to reach across the screen and give her a huge bear hug :)) turns to the camera and smiles it literally broke my heart into tiny pieces while lifting my spirits sky-high. It's a fitting conclusion to what is essentially a neo-realist spiritual redemption story that happens to be starring prostitutes and con men (Amadeo Nazzari's Alberto, in my opinion, is as big a cad as Oscar). Nino Rota's score is outstanding and Fellini's cinematic touches (the hypnotism of Cabiria and Madonna pilgrimage scenes had me riveted) are both magical and down-to-Earth basic in their economy of pictures. Master-freaking-piece! =D>

Feego

#109 Post by Feego » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:58 am

I just rented this film from Netflix (yep, they still have it \:D/ ), and I've watched it twice. I truly hate myself for not having seen this film and bought it before it went out of print. It's so magical that I can't bear to part with the rented DVD. Think I'll have to watch it at least one more time before I return it, but my life won't be the same without this film in my collection.

Is there any hope of Studio Canal releasing it on Blu-ray? [-o<

matrixschmatrix

#110 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:12 am

I can't swear to the quality (and I couldn't find any comparisons), but if you're region free there's an r2 release from the normally reliable Optimum for 7 pounds. (Or you can get a three film set with the White Sheik and La Strada for 12.)

Feego

#111 Post by Feego » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:24 am

I actually just saw that Optimum release on Amazon UK after writing my post, and I am region-free, but I haven't been able to find a review either.

rohmerin

#112 Post by rohmerin » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:11 pm

tojoed

#113 Post by tojoed » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:15 pm

The Optimum DVD is a very good one, the same transfer as Criterion used. Not much in the way of extras, but that doesn't matter. A bargain at £7 or so.

Grand Wazoo

#114 Post by Grand Wazoo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:12 pm

From the Amazon listing for the Federico Fellini Collection including Nights of Cabiria:
Synopsis
Collection of three classics from Italian master filmmaker Jean-Pierre Melville. Includes: NIGHTS OF CABIRIA, LA STRADA and THE WHITE SHEIK.
](*,)

Thanks for the tip on the collection though. I'll probably pick this up since I don't own any of the three. Nights of Cabiria is nearly on an equal plane as 8 1/2 in my opinion, and it's imperative for my girlfriend, a lover of Sweet Charity, to see this.

matrixschmatrix

#115 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:41 pm

I think Cabiria might be my favorite Fellini- I do love 8 1/2, but 8 1/2 is something that is right my wheelhouse, and I went into it knowing I would love it. Cabiria's responsible for unlocking a whole world of movies for me, a gateway into neorealism generally- I went in expecting to have a hard time appreciating it, and found it immensely moving.

It really is a shame it's out of print in R1, since it's such a great gateway for anyone like me who fell in with the New Wave sensibility with no trouble, but had a hard time following it backwards.

Feego

#116 Post by Feego » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks for the R2 recommendations. I think I may go for that three-film collection since it also includes The White Shiek, which is OOP. I've never seen that one. I saw La Strada about eight years ago (maybe longer), and while I liked it, I wasn't overly enamoured with it. Perhaps it's time for another viewing.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#117 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:04 pm

Coming on Blu from TFI in France at the end of the year.