230 3 Women

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Martha

230 3 Women

#1 Post by Martha » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:57 pm

3 Women

Image Image

In a dusty, under-populated California resort town, Pinky Rose (Sissy Spacek), a naïve and impressionable Southern waif begins her life as a nursing home attendant. There, Pinky finds her role model in fellow nurse "Thoroughly Modern" Millie Lammoreaux (Shelley Duvall), a misguided would-be sophisticate and hopeless devotee of Cosmopolitan and Woman's Day magazines. When Millie accepts Pinky into her home at the Purple Sage singles complex, Pinky's hero-worship evolves into something far stranger and more sinister than either could have anticipated. Featuring brilliant performances from Spacek and Duvall, Robert Altman's dreamlike masterpiece, 3 Women, careens from the humorous to the chilling to the surreal, resulting in one of the most unusual and compelling films of the 1970s.

Special Features

- New high-definition digital transfer, with restored image and sound and enhanced for widescreen televisions
- Audio commentary by director Robert Altman
- Stills gallery of rare production and publicity photos
- Original theatrical trailer
- English subtitles for the deaf and hearing-impaired
- Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition

Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

zedz

#2 Post by zedz » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:32 pm

Since nobody's written about this yet, I'd like to hail this as a magnificent, mysterious film with astonishing performances from Duvall and Spacek. (Does Shelley Duvall have no fear?) One of my favourite Altmans, and certainly one of the most successful of his self-conscious art-films.

There were some grumbles about the pricing of this given its dearth of extras, but I like Altman's commentary, and the stills gallery is surprisingly compelling (lots of extra material on those weird murals).

mingus

#3 Post by mingus » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:55 pm

I can only chime in on zedz' statement. I just finished watching it.
It took me fifteen minutes to get into it but after that i was hooked and totally willing to let myself fall into the world created by Millie and Pinky.
Shelley Duvall is mesmerizing and Sissy Spacek is also wonderfully cast.
This movie captures loneliness better than anything i've seen before. Robert Altman really manages to surprise me.

Lino

#4 Post by Lino » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:53 am

Michael, we're all waiting for your childhood story on this one...(at least I am!). It was that beautiful and moving and I hope you take the time to tell us all over again!

Michael

#5 Post by Michael » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:06 pm

Glad you liked 3 Women. I love it. Always will.

I remember writing lengthy about this film and my experience with it on the previous forum. Too bad it got lost. :x Can someone tell me if its still possible to locate my posts from the past forums? If yes, how to reclaim them?

Lino

#6 Post by Lino » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:50 am

While waiting for your thoughts on this one, I dug up a very long and thorough review of the film and the DVD that I think is worth reading at DVD Verdict.

Michael

#7 Post by Michael » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:32 pm

3 Women is certainly one of the few films that formed my taste in cinema all the way from my childhood nearly 30 long years ago. Eraserhead (also released in 1977) is another example. I was a weird kid.

On one hot August evening, my mom went out partying with a new boyfriend. I was home alone and 3 Women played on HBO that fateful night! The opening images of old folks wading in the pool.. so dreamily that I was hooked instantly. After the film ended, I was like "holy shit!". The images consumed me so much that I couldn't sleep for many nights afterward... I remember lying down to sleep that night, I cried in my pillow after the feeling of "void" overwhelmed me. Watching 3 Women, I was caught up with the women that by the end when the personalities or identities were swapped, the realization of the void, the emptiness of their personalities/identities swept over me that I was like "what? I missed Millie and Pinky and I couldn't see them in other shoes!". .It made me feel frightened, lonely and lost. For a 9 year old boy, that was a lot. 20 years later, I experienced the same reaction, the same feeling when I watched Antonioni's L' Eclisse. The ending made me feel so lost. (No, not in the confused manner but more like - absent, missing, gone). And also incredibly spooky.

Needless to say, 3 Women followed me throughout my life and I desparately searched for the VHS and later DVD. I wrote to the Criterion Collection once every month begging them to release 3 Women. The dream came true last year and here I have the DVD, I can relive that hot August night anytime. That film and Nashville continue to provoke the nostalgic feelings for that lost, fascinating era that makes up my childhood.

GringoTex

#8 Post by GringoTex » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:16 pm

I've always put this one off because I wasn't really interested in Altman treating women like he did in Nashville for an entire movie.

But damned if this didn't turn out to be the most gorgeous, haunting, and emotionally powerful of all of Altman's films. I watched it a week ago and still can't shake it.

essrog

#9 Post by essrog » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:15 pm

GringoTex wrote:I've always put this one off because I wasn't really interested in Altman treating women like he did in Nashville for an entire movie.

But damned if this didn't turn out to be the most gorgeous, haunting, and emotionally powerful of all of Altman's films. I watched it a week ago and still can't shake it.
GringoTex, can you elaborate just a bit about what you didn't like about Altman's treatment of women in Nashville? If you had replaced it with M.A.S.H., you wouldn't get much of an argument from me, but I haven't really heard this criticism of Nashville before. Certainly, a lot of the women in the film are treated poorly by the men, but I didn't get the impression that Altman was endorsing that in any way. If anything, the women (particularly Lily Tomlin's character) come out of it looking better than the men.

Magic Hate Ball

#10 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:07 am

What a depressing, terrifying movie. I wonder what influences Paul Thomas Anderson will draw, or perhaps has already drawn from it.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#11 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:35 am

Wow, I just watched this one and I am overwhelmed by it. So much for overcoming my insomnia - not tonight.

LQ

#12 Post by LQ » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:48 am

All respect is due to Altman's other films, but this the best and most affecting film of his that I've seen. I'm sitting here the morning after watching it, uneasy and unable to shake off the heaviness that hangs over me. Seeing such unconfortably real depictions of people like Pinky and Millie made me think of women that I've met in my life, co-workers, relatives, even.. their identity a patchwork of magazine clippings, coupons, Extra! reports and recipes on the backs of labels...and you wonder about what really lies in the deepest recesses of their soul, if there isn't a void there like the one in Millie's. She to me is the most tragic character in the film, although every single character was tragic in their own right. My only complaint is that last scene, although in my love of the film I've all but factored it out. However, it's there, and I wish to talk about it so forgive the mass of spoiler below, but I'm loath to ruin it for anyone!
SpoilerShow
I wish I could just leave the end to be an enigma. I know that with something like 3 Women I shouldn't try to overanalyze or explain, and I love love love the ambiguity surrounding Pinky's parents, etc, but i just can't make sense of the last scene, based on everything that happened leading up to it. In the scene prior to the birth, Millie was conforting Pinky like a mother would, and I would be willing to believe that those two could hammer out a weirdly symbiotic relationship in that vein...even though the cut from Millie slapping Pinky to self-assured "mother" is still too abrupt. I just don't see how the 3rd woman would be roped in. I never got the feeling that Willie NEEDED that child to exact her identity or that she would be lost without it; in fact, after the sex of the baby was determined, I really thought she would be free of the suppression of the "Man"-since Edgar knocked her up, with the death of her (male) baby she would be rid of any physical and emotional tie to him, and to "man". I thought she had the strongest self-identity of anyone in the film -that of a painter- and she was exorcising the horrendously negative effect of Edgar by painting the menacing, primative images everywhere...Her identity was one that was NOT based on connections, whether real or desired, to people around her. The only one who impacted her identity was Edgar. Why then, would she fall into this weird "grandmother" role? Why did she "need" those two lost, vacuous women to find her true identity? Because Millie delivered the stillborn? Didn't mesh with me.
And its OBVIOUSLY implied that one or all of them killed Edgar...was it in the killing of Edgar that they decided to hammer out their relationships and identities?? I just think there was TOO much that happened in the interval of time between the bloody slap and the soda truck arrival, and with such a precise, thoughtful movie and characters so grounded in reality that kind of ending felt hasty, tacked on, and WAY too "tidy", as well as just plain non-sensical. Didn't like it!!
When youre dealing with something like Mulholland Drive, that's not so deeply entrenched in reality, I don't even try to explain the ending...but 3 WOMEN is among the most REAL films I've ever seen. It's never a question of what's real and what's not, and I just felt cheated by that end.
I hope I made some kind of sense, I'm still in quite a state after seeing it last night and my thoughts are unsettled enough as is. But like I said above, the ending doesn't stop me from being in awe of this movie. There's so so so much more to be said about it...the eeeerie twitchy music, the use of water, the stupendous cinematography....but I'm just going to sit here quietly now and let it slosh around in my mind.
Last edited by LQ on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#13 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:03 pm

You're right about Willie being the strongest of the women, which is why they needed her, not the other way around. She, with some reading into the ending, takes the grandmother role, the quiet matriarch of the family.

Feego

#14 Post by Feego » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:09 pm

LQ, you bring up some good points about the characters in 3 Women being so real. It is interesting that Altman based the film on a dream he had, because I absolutely agree that Pinky and especially Millie are perhaps the most human characters in any of the Altman films that I have seen. As I see the ending, it is a continuation of the various roles that we see the women take on throughout the film -- outsider, sister, mother, lover, object of affection, distraction, and so forth. Regardless of what the women do, it is always within the confines of a patriarchal system. At the end, they have dispensed of the men in their lives (both the father and son), but rather than escaping their confines, they have formed a new family unit in the model of the patriarchal system, the only thing they know, and thus perpetuate their own unhappiness.

From a psychological standpoint, it doesn't make much sense that these women--especially Willie--would revert to such a glum state, and I guess this is what bothers you (and I see your point). I think Altman's attention, however, is more squarely focused on the burden of familial relationships and how they suppress individual identity. He took this to more drastic extremes (albeit in a more conventional and literal way) in his next film, A Wedding, in which he suggests that the noblest way a person can escape the confines of the family unit is simply to die.

This is all my personal interpretation, though, and it probably makes more sense in my own head, so take this with a grain of salt.

skuhn8

#15 Post by skuhn8 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:47 am

mfunk9786 wrote:You're right about Willie being the strongest of the women, which is why they needed her, not the other way around. She, with some reading into the ending, takes the grandmother role, the quiet matriarch of the family.
Definitely one of my favorite Altman films. Unlike some later sludge like Dr. T... the characters in his early films seem to completely shed their identities as actors and are totally immersed. It can be very unsettling as it is in this film.

I took Willie to be more of an Earth-Mother character. Probably reading too much into it but the first time we see her she's in the earth, the empty swimming pool, painting her cave paintings. Following the trauma (and I'll avoid spoiler tags or giveaway) the three women seem to revert to mythical ciphers a la Claude Levi-Strauss. It certainly is dreamlike.

Least helpful is Altman's commentary on the final chapter (the only part I listened to). Was hard to tell what film he was watching.

Michael

#16 Post by Michael » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:34 am

LQ, I enjoyed reading your thoughts and enthusiasm.

I don't think the film is to be taken logically. It's expressed mostly on the emotional/intuitive level, very much like the films of Varda and Denis. The dream Altman had one night inspired the film. Sometimes when you dream, people seem so real but still suspended in strange haze, translucent and never logical. I take it that you've seen the film only once. The emotions of the film's unique imagery, landscape and personality will bloom and kick you ultimately upon repeated viewings. Next time you watch 3 Women, does the ending give you the sense of wanting Shelley Duvall to return to Millie? The ending throws a punch of emotions of void, emptiness and apocalyse.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#17 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:04 am

Once Millie's been slapped across the face with the cruel reality that people saw her persona as a joke, and that it didn't get her anywhere, all that was left was emptiness. She had nothing going for her except for her job, her recipes for various melts, and her purple and yellow decor. The perfect way to end that film is how it ended. Each character gets what they needed an outlet for. Millie has someone hanging on her every word, Pinky gets parental figures in her life, and Willie gets an outlet for her (and LQ, this is where we staunchly disagree) overwhelming maternal instincts. Altman portrays beautifully that despite these women getting exactly what they cried out for (in Willie's case, literally and traumatically), there still isn't much to them. They were happier when there was an element of antagonism in their lives.
Last edited by mfunk9786 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

LQ

#18 Post by LQ » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:12 pm

Yes Michael, it was my first time watching it, you got me. And I look forward to many, many more viewings! In fact, I'm already cursing my irritation with the ending, especially in light of the more elegant responses here, and the fact that it doesn't detract from my adoration of the movie. But Ill doggedly see my initial concern to the end and then never speak of it again, here or elsewhere (truce, mfunk?).

If the whole film felt like it had been created upon the wisp of a dream, I wouldn't have this problem with the ending...but like I said, its such a real, unblinkingly AWAKE movie. There's no re-writing of time, there's no confusion of oneiric states..the progression of the film unfolds in a straight, linear path: nothing is elided or skimmed over that is essential to understanding what is "going on"...all of which makes the ending so disappointing and facile to me, because it's incongruous to both the realistic tone of the film and the nature of the characters (willie in particular) and there is just such a huge jump in both story content and logic. And Altman on commentary basically does the verbal equivalent of a big fat shrug in regards to that last scene. I say: not fair!
Or at least, that's what I did say.
But I'm done now, and perhaps I'll love the end next time. Just wanted to get all of my frustration out before I re-watch it :)

mmacklem

Re: 230 3 Women

#19 Post by mmacklem » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:50 am

I just finished watching this movie, and afterwards listening to the Altman commentary, and I'm still putting together my thoughts on it, especially after reading everyone's comments on it so far. But I'm curious to hear others' thoughts on this question, which is sort of fundamental to what I'm still sorting out in my response:

Regarding the 3 Women in the title, do you think that Altman "likes" these characters? Do you think he feel empathy for them, in their transformations/adaptations throughout the film?

GringoTex

#20 Post by GringoTex » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:38 am

mmacklem wrote:Regarding the 3 Women in the title, do you think that Altman "likes" these characters? Do you think he feel empathy for them, in their transformations/adaptations throughout the film?
This seems to be the crux of just about every critical disagreement concerning Altman's films. Generally, if you think Altman feels empathy for his characters, you're going to like the film. If you think he's lampooning them, less so. Robin Wood wrote a great essay on this called "Smart-Ass and Cutie Pie" located here.

Personally, I think Altman has great empathy for the women in this film. He films them very tenderly, very tragically.

Feego

#21 Post by Feego » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:44 am

GringoTex wrote:Personally, I think Altman has great empathy for the women in this film. He films them very tenderly, very tragically.
I agree with GringoTex on this. I do think that Altman empathizes with these women, particularly Millie. Ultimately, I don't think it really comes down to him either liking or disliking them. He allows their true humanity to show, not glamorizing it, but not condemning or ridiculing it either. With Millie in particular, he lets us see her at her most awkward and most embarrassing. Shelley Duvall, of course, deserves just as much credit for exposing these aspects. I think people often feel that he dislikes his characters because they as viewers dislike what they see in the character and in themselves. We recognize Millie's awkwardness in our own lives, and it turns us off. But it is Altman's sensitivity and empathy that drives him to show this in the first place, at least in 3 Women. I can't necessarily say the same thing about all of Altman's films (I still have many to see), but I believe this to be true here.

gubbelsj

#22 Post by gubbelsj » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:58 pm

As GringoTex and Feego have suggested, there is a level of empathy for the women here that is remarkable in the way it's never allowed to become overbearing or even extremely obvious. In Altman on Altman, he had this to say about the characters:

Millie's a victim of women's magazines and movies and everyone around her. She just repeats things that she thinks will make people like her, but she's totally alone. Both Pinky and Millie were lost souls trying to find an acceptable way to live. Pinky was like an alien who had arrived on the planet and said, "How do I hide myself in this world? I'll become that person".

All the characters are like a rare species, lonesome, looking for a place in the world. The image I have in my head is of three female seals who have just kicked the last male seal off a rock.

There are certainly moments when we are meant to cringe or even laugh at Millie's behavior, but there's a tenderness involved that seems absent in Altman's portrayal of Edgar, who really does come off as a cad. Still, even in Edgar, there's a wounded foolish ineptness that's almost endearing. For me, Altman's empathy for the characters is powerful in its subtlety.

zedz

#23 Post by zedz » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:47 pm

GringoTex wrote:This seems to be the crux of just about every critical disagreement concerning Altman's films. Generally, if you think Altman feels empathy for his characters, you're going to like the film. If you think he's lampooning them, less so. Robin Wood wrote a great essay on this called "Smart-Ass and Cutie Pie" located here.

Personally, I think Altman has great empathy for the women in this film. He films them very tenderly, very tragically.
3 Women might be his ultimate balancing act in terms of empathy. There are plenty of people around as gauche and vulnerable as Millie, but I can't think of anybody else in film who's pushed that gaucheness and vulnerability onto the audience so forcefully as Altman and Duvall in this film (and, for me at least, Duvall's braveness here is awe-inspiring) without losing the balance between the two qualities. You recognise her behaviour as (in a real world context) repellant, but you don't want to see her hurt as a consequence of that behaviour - or rather the gulf between her apparent self-image and what everybody else (including us) sees. The audience is thoroughly implicated in her plight, because it's looking down on her too. There are no covert plays for sympathy, but don't we also recognise our own insecurity and vulnerability (and superficial conformity) there, though presumably in a less exaggerated form?

Altman's attitude to his characters is messy and often uncomfortable, but he's such a connoisseur of human behaviour (and acting) you have to give him the benefit of the doubt that he's down there amongst his characters, even when the context of their presentation is satirical. If you could only see Nashville as a snobbish put-down of country music and its denizens, I imagine that would make the film unbearable, but that's not the film I know. A possible litmus test might be the central, brushed-aside tragedy of A Wedding: for me this is the emotional heart of the film, and a moment of panicky moral vertigo, but I'm sure some just see it as a cheap throwaway dramatic irony.

mmacklem

#24 Post by mmacklem » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:29 pm

(some spoilers follow...)

When I was listening to Altman's audio commentary, he was talking about the desert with quite a bit of disdain, and when he discussed Millie's over-reliance on style and fashion magazines in her attempts to get those around her to embrace her, he said things like "these people are all over these desert towns". He also talked about how the central premise in the movie is what happens in the world when the women chase off the last man (even talking about the case where they haven't saved anything in test-tubes), and relating this to seals sunning themselves on rocks, where the female seals will chase the male seals off of the rocks so that they can sun themselves. He also mentions about how he tried to cast all of the men in the movie as unattractive, even the police officers and doctors, with Edgar being the ultimate example. With this, the ending is one where the three women have their types that they fall into in the absence of men (grandmother, mother, and child), with the process of the movie being the constant shifting of each of the women between these three roles.

The reason I mention this is not to argue for Altman's comments as specifically authoritative, or that his take on his own enigmatic document 30 years after the fact is entirely representative of what's on the screen. However, after I saw the film, something just didn't sit right with me, and I thought that some of his comments brought to mind my negative response.

Unlike some of the other commenters in this thread, I did not immediately warm to this film, or to the two main characters. For one, we are presented with two facets of each of the Millie and Pinky characters: one which we can empathize with, perhaps with a sense of recognition in ourselves (such as Millie's desperate look to idealized images of society as a model for how to appear and behave, and Pinky's similarly desperate look to Millie for the same guidance); and one which we are repulsed by (such as Pinky's behaviour in public settings due to her naivete, or her reading of Millie's diary, and Millie's treatment of Pinky in general). Obviously the latter in many cases is a natural outgrowth of the former: Pinky acts awkwardly in public because she lacks an existing image of how she is supposed to act, and Millie treats Pinky with disdain because in many ways she sees her as expendable because of her lack of conformity to the idealized image of society. But as Pinky and Millie exchange characters, we simply see them change from one flawed character to a different flawed character. Obviously, if we are intended to empathize with them in being stuck inside this central human dilemma of how do we act within the world around us that expects certain behaviour from us, or of where do we look for guidance in navigating this question, the property of our empathy towards these characters changes dramatically depending on whether or not we are intended to "like" them in addition to empathizing.

Some of my response to this film reminded me of my response to Dogville, Dancer in the Dark or Breaking the Waves, where von Trier basically structures his films around putting the central female character into a controlled scientific environment designed to see how much they can take before breaking. Put this way, these films seem reprehensible and indefensible... except that in each case these characters are clearly the strongest characters in the films, and are clearly loved by von Trier and are presented to be admired and loved by the audience. In the case of 3 Women, I feel like we are presented with the same type of controlled scientific environment, except that I don't feel like the intention is to love these characters. Perhaps not to laugh at them, not to join in with their environment on their tormenting. But also not to love them. Empathize yes, but from a distance.

Which brings me to another of my main problems with the film: in Altman's commentary, he talks about the 3 Women in the title as obviously being Millie, Pinky, and Willie. I went through the entire movie thinking that the third woman was the one that Pinky became after the accident, and it wasn't until the final shot that it became apparent to me that Willie was supposed to be the third woman. I thought she was another of the background characters, I never got the sense that the intention was to have her be the third part of the centre of the movie. In his commentary, Altman mentions that Willie was originally given more dialogue, and that that was taken out early in the development of the film, with the motivation being that through her marriage to Edgar, her character is discouraged to the point of being distanced in communication to the world around her. Fine, I think I get that, having been told that. But when two of the characters have this clear symmetry to them, and the third character not only lacks the symmetry, but also the language to say anything at all (aside from through her paintings), this _makes_ her a background character in comparison to the other two. Calling the movie 3 Women and expecting that to put Willie into the mix moreso than the material provided to her in the film itself warrants feels manipulative to me.

Okay, think I'm done now.

gubbelsj

#25 Post by gubbelsj » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:30 pm

mmacklem wrote:(some spoilers follow...)
Which brings me to another of my main problems with the film: in Altman's commentary, he talks about the 3 Women in the title as obviously being Millie, Pinky, and Willie. I went through the entire movie thinking that the third woman was the one that Pinky became after the accident, and it wasn't until the final shot that it became apparent to me that Willie was supposed to be the third woman. I thought she was another of the background characters, I never got the sense that the intention was to have her be the third part of the centre of the movie. In his commentary, Altman mentions that Willie was originally given more dialogue, and that that was taken out early in the development of the film, with the motivation being that through her marriage to Edgar, her character is discouraged to the point of being distanced in communication to the world around her. Fine, I think I get that, having been told that. But when two of the characters have this clear symmetry to them, and the third character not only lacks the symmetry, but also the language to say anything at all (aside from through her paintings), this _makes_ her a background character in comparison to the other two. Calling the movie 3 Women and expecting that to put Willie into the mix moreso than the material provided to her in the film itself warrants feels manipulative to me.
You have some interesting points about Altman's attitude towards the women and how different audiences might misinterpret certain aspects of the storyline, but I'm a bit confused as to why you think calling the film 3 Women is manipulative. While Willie is certainly tangential to the film's narrative throughout most of the film, it is her horrific and botched delivery that unites all three characters and stands as the final action before the much more muted epilogue. Willie's trauma helps reverse the trajectory Millie and Pinky had been following, with Millie re-asserting her earlier semi-authoritarian identity and Pinky reverting back to her role of dependency. And seeing how the film ends with the three women united in a quasi-communal non-male environment, I think the film is very much about all three, even if this doesn't become obvious until the final frames.