It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 793 The American Friend
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:58 pm 

The American Friend

Image Image

Wim Wenders pays loving homage to rough-and-tumble Hollywood film noir with The American Friend, a loose adaptation of Patricia Highsmith's novel Ripley's Game. Dennis Hopper oozes quirky menace as an amoral American art dealer who entangles a terminally ill German everyman, played by Bruno Ganz, in a seedy criminal underworld as revenge for a personal slight—but when the two become embroiled in an ever-deepening murder plot, they form an unlikely bond. Filmed on location in Hamburg and Paris, with some scenes shot in grimy, late-seventies New York City, Wenders's international breakout is a stripped-down crime story that mixes West German and American film flavors, and it features cameos by filmmakers Jean Eustache, Samuel Fuller, and Nicholas Ray.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED EDITION:

• New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by director Wim Wenders, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• Audio commentary from 2002 featuring Wenders and actor Dennis Hopper
• New interview with Wenders
• New interview with actor Bruno Ganz
• Deleted scenes with audio commentary by Wenders
• Trailer
• New English subtitle translation
• PLUS: An essay by author Francine Prose

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:40 pm 

A rotten-toothed Ray in the throes of the death-rattle in tandem with mid 70's Hopper (strangely subdued, but brilliant) is reason enough to invest in this masterpiece....

....Yet Ganz, genius that he is, steals the picture.

I LOVE this film.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:51 am 

My favourite Wenders so far too. Nice to see Criterion finally get around to some of his films.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:49 pm 

I'm wondering if they will be adding additional supplements to this one. Not sure why it would be a two-disc DVD release otherwise, unless the two interviews are enormous. As listed, it doesn't seem to be enough to warrant a second disc as all the rest (audio commentary, deleted scenes with commentary, trailer) is on the current Anchor Bay single disc DVD. Though, granted, not with the feature in a 4K scan.

Thrilled about this release. Can't wait. It will also incent me to finally pick up the other "Ripley" adaptation in the Collection -- "Purple Noon".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:45 am 

The film is 124 min long, and that's common practice for Criterion to put the extras on a separate DVD for movies that long.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:58 pm 

Bluray.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:45 pm 

DVDBeaver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:45 pm 

This is an amazing release, it looks great and the new interviews are more than welcome. I can't remember the last time a disc hasn't left my player for days. I'm so glad to sell off my DVD.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:09 pm 

kristophers wrote:
This is an amazing release, it looks great and the new interviews are more than welcome. I can't remember the last time a disc hasn't left my player for days. I'm so glad to sell off my DVD.

The last time that happened to me was with Jaques Tati's Playtime. My copy of is arriving tomorrow, fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:41 am 

Once more, a European release has a slightly better encode than the Criterion:
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=9817&d2=9818&c=3952

Of course the Criterion here doesn't reach the My Private idaho lows, but still there is an evident difference.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:14 am 

Of course, this is the kind of discrepancy one only notices on Caps-a-Holic. Furthermore, a bunch of recent Studio Canal titles have been disasters (Man Who Fell to Earth).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:26 am 

I looked at those caps and could barely see a difference.

Good to get a reminder though that importing the Criterion wouldn't be the most sensible option given the cost. I'll likely get the German disc.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:45 am 

I only watched about 20 minutes of this, but I wonder if Hopper's character was inspiration for Wes Anderson visually for Owen Wilson as Eli Cash in The Royal Tenenbaums, specifically at the beginning when he's wearing the hat.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:25 am 

I don't see the resemblance and think that Eli Cash was meant to stick out as sort of a contrived "Western" persona dressing to impress as a literary celebrity, even though he grew up in NYC - a variation of the "dude" stereotype in westerns, who wears fancy clothing from specialty stores. Cash is wearing an outright costume.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:17 am 

The German bluray caps seem to show more natural and prevalent grain. But the Criterion has been well handled, and doesn't seem to have introduced any nasty artefacts. It looks beautiful in motion.

I watched this for the first time on the weekend, and was totally enthralled. Bruno Ganz was extraordinary. I was less enamoured of Hopper's Ripley, but he grew on me. After sampling a few bits of the commentary track, I can't wait to watch it again with commentary.

This has got me pumped to watch Kings of the Road again, having not seen it for close to 30 years.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:11 pm 

bugsy_pal wrote:
This has got me pumped to watch Kings of the Road again, having not seen it for close to 30 years.

I rewatched it recently and I always forget just how beautiful a film it is. Spectacular black and white footage and some of the most poetic and evocative day-for-night shooting I've ever seen.