775 A Room with a View

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

775 A Room with a View

#1 Post by swo17 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:17 pm

A Room with a View

Image Image

Merchant Ivory Productions, led by director James Ivory and producer Ismail Merchant, became a household name with A Room with a View, the first of their extraordinary adaptations of E. M. Forster novels. A cherubic nineteen-year-old Helena Bonham Carter plays Lucy Honeychurch, a young, independent-minded, upper-class Edwardian woman who is trying to sort out her burgeoning romantic feelings, divided between an enigmatic free spirit (Julian Sands) she meets on vacation in Florence and the priggish bookworm (Daniel Day-Lewis) to whom she becomes engaged back in the more corseted Surrey. Funny, sexy, and sophisticated, this gargantuan art-house hit features a sublime supporting cast—including Simon Callow, Judi Dench, Denholm Elliott, Maggie Smith—and remains a touchstone of intelligent romantic cinema.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION:

• New 4K digital restoration, supervised by cinematographer Tony Pierce-Roberts, with 2.0 surround Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• New interviews with director James Ivory, Pierce-Roberts, costume designer John Bright, and actors Helena Bonham Carter, Simon Callow, and Julian Sands
• Segment about Merchant Ivory Productions from a 1985 NBC television program
• Trailer
• PLUS: An essay by film critic Farran Smith Nehme

manicsounds

Re: 775 A Room with a View

#2 Post by manicsounds » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:05 pm

Looks like they sorted things out with Merchant Ivory. That's good to know. Hopefully this means Howards End will come back.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:04 pm

manicsounds wrote:Looks like they sorted things out with Merchant Ivory. That's good to know. Hopefully this means Howards End will come back.
Maybe whoever was causing trouble had a bookcase fall on them

djproject

#4 Post by djproject » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:38 am

domino harvey wrote:
manicsounds wrote:Looks like they sorted things out with Merchant Ivory. That's good to know. Hopefully this means Howards End will come back.
Maybe whoever was causing trouble had a bookcase fall on them
That's what that *other* closet is for ;)

aox

#5 Post by aox » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:39 pm

I have not seen this film and was kind of surprised to hear it announced. What are your opinions of it?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:47 pm

Some previous forum discussion on A Room With a View starting here in the Alt Oscars thread. tl;dr: It's pretty good

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#7 Post by swo17 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:11 pm

manicsounds wrote:Looks like they sorted things out with Merchant Ivory.
Not if this is true.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#8 Post by cdnchris » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:47 pm

That's correct. According to the sell sheets it has been licenced from Westchester Films. So I doubt anything was sorted out.

djproject

#9 Post by djproject » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:58 am

cdnchris wrote:That's correct. According to the sell sheets it has been licenced from Westchester Films. So I doubt anything was sorted out.
So why the new interview?

(I am perfectly aware that supplements are subject to change before its release date. But I would imagine if there was still the slightest bit of acrimony, this feature would not be a feature at the very least.)

CSM126

#10 Post by CSM126 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:52 am

djproject wrote:
cdnchris wrote:That's correct. According to the sell sheets it has been licenced from Westchester Films. So I doubt anything was sorted out.

(I am perfectly aware that supplements are subject to change before its release date. But I would imagine if there was still the slightest bit of acrimony, this feature would not be a feature at the very least.)
I'm fairly certain none of the people interviewed work for the bond company that bought out all of those M-I films from under Criterion, so what animosity would there be here?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#11 Post by cdnchris » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:14 am

djproject wrote:
As mentioned above the issue is with whomever actually owns the rights and I'm going to guess Ivory himself never had an issue. I don't know the background to the production company and who owns what but just because "Merchant Ivory Productions" has his name in it doesn't mean he owns all or even part of it (i hope he at least owns part of it).

Whatever the case may be it was licenced from a completely different company so I still wouldn't bet they sorted things out.

djproject

#12 Post by djproject » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:02 pm

cdnchris wrote:
djproject wrote:
As mentioned above the issue is with whomever actually owns the rights and I'm going to guess Ivory himself never had an issue. I don't know the background to the production company and who owns what but just because "Merchant Ivory Productions" has his name in it doesn't mean he owns all or even part of it (i hope he at least owns part of it).

Whatever the case may be it was licenced from a completely different company so I still wouldn't bet they sorted things out.
In other words, business not personal =]

I was just wondering what the nature of that relationship was and I thought it was something acrimonious between Criterion and Ivory. Going forward, I will be more thorough in my research if that was previously discussed elsewhere =].

manicsounds

#13 Post by manicsounds » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:33 pm

DVDBeaver

Too bad the older extras like the commentary were not carried over.

FrauBlucher

#14 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:10 pm