120 How to Get Ahead in Advertising

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Martha

120 How to Get Ahead in Advertising

#1 Post by Martha » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:52 pm

How to Get Ahead in Advertising

Richard E. Grant is the endlessly suave Dennis Bagley, a high-strung advertising executive whose shoulder sprouts an evil, talking boil. The boil speaks only to Bagley, is silent to the rest of the world, and seems to be growing. This caustic satire reunites the talented team behind the cult classic Withnail and I to create a tour de force of verbal jousting and physical comedy.

Special Features

• Exclusive widescreen version, supervised by director of photography Peter Hannan
• Original theatrical trailer
• English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired

Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

CSM126

#2 Post by CSM126 » Wed May 18, 2005 4:35 pm

Having just finished my second viewing of this film, I can say that I officially love it. Hot to Get Ahead is one of the best satires I've ever seen, and one of the smartest too.

I hope we'll see this one re-issued sometime in the future. It deserves the best that Criterion has to offer.

oldsheperd

#3 Post by oldsheperd » Wed May 18, 2005 4:48 pm

You might as well get the MGM disc, it's the same thing and the CC ain't getting reissued

CSM126

#4 Post by CSM126 » Wed May 18, 2005 7:02 pm

oldsheperd wrote: the CC ain't getting reissued
A man can dream, can't he? I'd settle for any edition with at least a commentary by Bruce Robinson. The lack of special features on both releases is unfair to this great film.

kschell

#5 Post by kschell » Thu May 19, 2005 8:12 am

oldsheperd wrote:You might as well get the MGM disc, it's the same thing and the CC ain't getting reissued

And the MGM is enhanced for 16:9, while if I'm not mistaken the original Criterion wasn't.

downrightindie

#6 Post by downrightindie » Mon May 28, 2007 8:58 pm

so i've found a used, mint, allegedly non-bootleg version for about 50 bucks. i've not seen this yet but i have always wanted to(i loved withnail). the seller is 99% positive. should i go through with it?

Cinephrenic

#7 Post by Cinephrenic » Mon May 28, 2007 10:52 pm

Got a link? :lol:

Narshty

#8 Post by Narshty » Tue May 29, 2007 3:42 am

downrightindie wrote:so i've found a used, mint, allegedly non-bootleg version for about 50 bucks. i've not seen this yet but i have always wanted to(i loved withnail). the seller is 99% positive. should i go through with it?
I'd seriously recommend renting the MGM disc first - I adore Withnail too, but Advertising is just terrible; shrill, obnoxious, virtually incoherent and generally half-baked. Although if you do want to buy it, at least the Criterion should keep its resale value.

Mr Pixies

#9 Post by Mr Pixies » Wed May 30, 2007 12:07 am

If you only care about the movie, I'd just check out the MGM release, the image is good and it's anamorphic. I think it's better than the Criterion, since neither have extras.

As for the film, I really enjoyed it, and it's really great until the end, it kinda loses itself, or I got lost.
Cinephrenic wrote:Got a link? :lol:
yeah

tholly

Re: 120 How to Get Ahead in Advertising

#10 Post by tholly » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:24 pm

Today I saw a copy at a pawn shop, but didn't get it since the word violation on the back bottom right of the cover was spelled viloation. I checked out my copy at home, which I had purchased some time back from a forum member sealed w/ Borders price tag on the wrapping and it was spelled the same way. Either it is spelled wrong on the legit copy, or someone faked a borders tag. Can anyone with a legit copy confirm?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#11 Post by cdnchris » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:35 pm

I got mine from Amazon when it first came out and it's also spelled incorrectly: "viloation"

tholly

#12 Post by tholly » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:43 pm

Great. Hopefully it is there tomorrow then. I'll pick it up for trade fodder.

tholly

#13 Post by tholly » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:56 pm

tholly wrote:Great. Hopefully it is there tomorrow then. I'll pick it up for trade fodder.
Well, it was still there today and is in great shape. I'll be posting it in the trade forum with some pictures later. Hoping to use it to get another OOP that I'm missing.

Thanks for confirming it for me.

spocker

#14 Post by spocker » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:52 am

I got hold of a used copy of this through the Amazon sellers. One thing struck me as odd, it had an orange translucent case.
Is this as it should? The packaging shots on this site has a black case like most other Criterions. Artwork, disc and insert seems to be 100% legit. (including the misspelling)

Matt

#15 Post by Matt » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:09 pm

No, that's definitely not the original case.