769 Day for Night

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
swo17

769 Day for Night

#1 Post by swo17 » Mon May 18, 2015 4:48 pm

Day for Night

Image Image

This loving farce from François Truffaut about the joys and turbulence of moviemaking is one of his most beloved films. Truffaut himself appears as the harried director of a frivolous melodrama, the shooting of which is plagued by the whims of a neurotic actor (Jean-Pierre Léaud); an aging but still forceful Italian diva (Valentina Cortese); and a British ingenue haunted by personal scandal (Jacqueline Bisset). An irreverent paean to the prosaic craft of cinema as well as a delightful human comedy about the pitfalls of love and sex, Day for Night is buoyed by robust performances and a sparkling score by the legendary Georges Delerue.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• New visual essay by filmmaker :: kogonada
• New interview with cinematographer Pierre-William Glenn
• New interview with film scholar Dudley Andrew
• Documentary on the film from 2003, featuring film scholar Annette Insdorf
• Archival interviews with director François Truffaut; editor Yann Dedet; and actors Jean-Pierre Aumont, Nathalie Baye, Jacqueline Bisset, Dani, and Bernard Menez
• Television footage of Truffaut on the film's set in 1972
• Trailer
• New English subtitle translation
• PLUS: An essay by critic David Cairns

criterion10

Re: 769 Day for Night

#2 Post by criterion10 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:41 pm

Criterion seems to have restored the film to its original 1.66:1 aspect ratio (the WB DVD was slightly bastardized at 1.78:1). Also seems like the majority of extras from the old DVD have been carried over.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#3 Post by cdnchris » Mon May 18, 2015 9:38 pm

Just so everyone knows, Warner Bros. is indicated as the licensor in the sell sheets.

criterion10

#4 Post by criterion10 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:52 pm

hearthesilence

#5 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:14 pm

Just out of curiosity, is anyone else here a Truffaut fan but somewhat mixed about this film? When I first got into Truffaut, I remember this one standing out as a reported popular favorite (and of course, an Oscar winner), and when I finally tracked down a copy, I remember being thrown by how conventional and even a bit mushy it seemed compared to the Truffaut films that made me an enormous fan of the French New Wave (most of his '60s work and L'Histoire d'Adèle H.). It was only later that I discovered Godard's response, etc.

warren oates

#6 Post by warren oates » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:53 pm

I'm not a big Truffaut fan but this is one of a handful of his films I have a copy of, largely because it feels so universally true to the process of filmmaking and maybe a bit more honest than some of those other behind the scenes films because it doesn't protect itself by hiding behind a cynical tone. (I don't know anybody, even those who consistently make boring or forgettable films, who's in the game for all the wrong reasons all the time.) For my money, the best scene in the film is the one where
SpoilerShow
director Truffaut playing a director gets a new package of film books after a day of difficult work and he nerd-blisses out, reconnects with his cinephilia and is kind of all good to go again.
If you can't get behind stuff like that or find it too schmaltzy, well... Anyway, I haven't seen this in a while and I'm excited to revisit it in the new edition.

criterion10

#7 Post by criterion10 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:23 pm

I did a Truffaut retrospective a few months ago, and Day for Night was probably the film I had the highest expectations for. Initially, I was slightly underwhelmed, most likely due to the fact that I was expecting a Godard-esque dissection on the nature of cinema. Thus, a lighthearted, melodramatic farce left me surprised and upset that there was little beneath the surface of what is merely a passionate depiction of the process of filmmaking. Needless to say, it's since grown on me significantly (I love it for what it is, regardless of what I expected it to be), and I'd even make the argument that it's my favorite Truffaut film.

hearthesilence

#8 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:02 pm

I'd have to see it again to single out anything, but as nice as that scene sounds, wasn't the movie they were making supposed to be mediocre? I remember having that impression. This was a while ago but I just remember feeling the idea of "making any movie is magical" felt a little smarmy at the time.

Professor Wagstaff

#9 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:53 pm

hearthesilence wrote:I'd have to see it again to single out anything, but as nice as that scene sounds, wasn't the movie they were making supposed to be mediocre? I remember having that impression. This was a while ago but I just remember feeling the idea of "making any movie is magical" felt a little smarmy at the time.
I just watched the disc and some of the features. The ::kogonada video essay talks about how audiences should reconsider the common idea that Meet Pamela is mediocre filmmaking. Specifically the essay ties in the strong parallels Meet Pamela has to The Soft Skin, a movie Truffaut was proud of making. I found it refreshing to hear that perspective since I've always assumed Meet Pamela was disposable melodrama.

hearthesilence

#10 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:27 am

Interesting. I only recently caught up with The Soft Skin and liked it quite a bit, so perhaps it'll make an enlightening double feature should I revisit Day for Night.

Minkin

#11 Post by Minkin » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:38 pm

movielocke

769 Day for Night

#12 Post by movielocke » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:48 pm

Professor Wagstaff wrote:
hearthesilence wrote:I'd have to see it again to single out anything, but as nice as that scene sounds, wasn't the movie they were making supposed to be mediocre? I remember having that impression. This was a while ago but I just remember feeling the idea of "making any movie is magical" felt a little smarmy at the time.
I just watched the disc and some of the features. The ::kogonada video essay talks about how audiences should reconsider the common idea that Meet Pamela is mediocre filmmaking. Specifically the essay ties in the strong parallels Meet Pamela has to The Soft Skin, a movie Truffaut was proud of making. I found it refreshing to hear that perspective since I've always assumed Meet Pamela was disposable melodrama.
the kogo nada essay also does an incredible breakdown and parallel playback of the dreams, illustrating how they transition in and out of the larger film and are affected by and effect the context around them. It's the best extra I've seen on a criterion this year.

manicsounds

#13 Post by manicsounds » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:57 am