8-9 Hard Boiled and The Killer

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
Jeff

Re: 8-9 Hard Boiled and The Killer

#76 Post by Jeff » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:50 am

yeahimajerk wrote:I am at risk of getting flamed but I'm going to ask this anyway: Is there a problem with the aspect ratio on this disc? I recently found a used copy of Hard Boiled at a used book store for about $10. I checked out the disc and packaging and every seemed pretty legit. I’ve dealt with some Criterion bootleg’s in the past and this didn’t seem like one. So I bought it. When I got it home and played it I noticed the picture throughout looked like it was stuck in a small box in the middle of my screen. I use a PS3 as my Blu/DVD player and have a large flatscreen so it was very weird. I’ll try to post pictures later but to those out there who own the OOP disc was this how it always looked? Or did I somehow pick up a really good bootleg?
It's not anamorphic (formatted for widescreen displays). None of Criterion's early discs were. You can set your TV to "zoom" mode for this disc. It's not going to look great.

TMDaines

#77 Post by TMDaines » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:27 am

The Criterion disc wasn't anamorphically enchanced so the picture will be heavily pictureboxed on all four sides on a widescreen display. It seems that back in the day Criterion were a bit slow on latching onto the now standard policy of enhancing widescreen films for widescreen displays and as a result many of their older releases look extremely dated for this reason.

yeahimajerk

#78 Post by yeahimajerk » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:15 pm

Yikes!

Ok, good to know fellas. Thanks for helping me out.

I also noticed that there was no Criterion logo that ran before the disc started. It just went right into the logo for the distributor. Were some of the early disc's like that, also? I have some early discs - Silence of the Lambs - and even those disc's have the old Criterion eye logo.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#79 Post by cdnchris » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:35 pm

I know Hard Boiled didn't have the logo, and I think The Killer was the same way as well. I'd have to pop it in again to check it out. I don't recall any other early ones where the logo doesn't appear.

As a note, Insomnia was Criterion's first anamorphic release, but even after that not every title was anamorpic. All of the Handmade Films titles, except Life of Brian, were also non-anamorphic, along with the first printings of Charade, Brazil, and a few others.

willoneill

#80 Post by willoneill » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:58 am

I saw Hard Boiled last night on an old 35mm print, and something seemed off to me while I was watching. When I got home it dawned on me that the print's subtitles refered to Tony Leung's character as "Tony" and not "Alan", as it should be. Has anyone else seen a version like this?

Banasa

#81 Post by Banasa » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:36 am

I guess we're in the same town as I saw the print the following day on the 10th.

I sat next to someone who was fluent in Cantonese with a friend and said that to them after that the subtitles were fairly accurate outside some additional swearing which is not in the original.

As for the name, I've never seen a home video copy with that name attached to it. Might have been just a way to have more characters play characters named after the actor. (Teresa Mo as Teresa Chang, Hoi-San Kwan as Mr. Hoi, John Woo as Mr. Woo).

The only other things I recall that I don't remember in any other screening is that before the credits scroll, some text dedicating the film to screenwriter Barry Wong, who died during production.