84 Good Morning

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
artfilmfan

Re: 84 Good Morning

#76 Post by artfilmfan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:06 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
artfilmfan wrote:It's interesting that this film is the launching pad for two of the greatest and most invaluable Ozu resources in the world: peerpee's website and MEK's walking encyclopedia.
peerpee was one of my mentors. ;-)
I can see some similarities between the mentor and the mentee, especially in the usage of humor, although the mentor's approach sometimes is more elliptical than the mentee's. :) But, as we know, Ozu loved elliptical narrative. So, ...

FrauBlucher

#77 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:39 am

kindaikun

#78 Post by kindaikun » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:39 am

The 14-minute runtime for Tokkan Kozo implies it's the older version which has already been released on DVD rather than the recently re-discovered, almost complete, version. The Japanese wikipedia article implies this version should be run at 18fps rather than 24 so should end up closer to 18 mins rather than 14. Although there's not a runtime given for the more recently found version, newspaper articles imply it's close to the original runtime of 38mins.

edit: Kyoto International Film Festival, which screened the newly-discovered print, give the new runtime as 19 mins at an unspecified frame rate, so perhaps not that complete after all. It seems to include title cards which the older print didn't.
edit 2: YouTube sample of the newer print showing the original title screen c/w the blu-ray.com screenshot showing the older copy's 'created' title screen.
Last edited by kindaikun on Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ribs

#79 Post by Ribs » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:11 am

That menu screen looks fantastic - makes me look forward to seeing the design of the leaflet!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#80 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:03 pm

What was recently discovered was not the complete Tokkan kozo -- but rather the complete home movie version of this film (which was only about half the length of the full film -- and only 12.5 mm format or something of the sort).

midnitedave

#81 Post by midnitedave » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:29 pm

kcota17

#82 Post by kcota17 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:21 pm

Any word yet of how the quality is for I Was Born, But? I haven't seen it addressed anywhere how the quality is, if it's a new restoration etc.

midnitedave

#83 Post by midnitedave » Sat May 13, 2017 11:37 am

kcota17 wrote:Any word yet of how the quality is for I Was Born, But? I haven't seen it addressed anywhere how the quality is, if it's a new restoration etc.
I presume it's the same source as the Eclipse/BFI releases since there hasn't been any mention of finding a better print than what's been used. Also, the Criterion specs don't list "I Was Born" as new restoration. My guess is that it'll have slight improvements due to a higher bit rate and larger resolution.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#84 Post by cdnchris » Sat May 13, 2017 1:26 pm

It looks okay. I don't have the Eclipse set so can't compare. Damage is about what I expected (tram lines, dirt, missing frames, burns). It's in 1080p but there's heavy macroblocking and jagged edges on curved objects.

hearthesilence

#85 Post by hearthesilence » Mon May 15, 2017 6:52 pm

Just saw your Criterion review - a shame about that transfer for I Was Born, But..., but at least it's not worse than the previous DVD (at least I hope).

They may be pushing it with the black levels again, at least to me, and while I'm not crazy about the color (look at that sky), I actually like it more than what's been done on the other DVD and BD releases out there.

colinr0380

#86 Post by colinr0380 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:23 pm

ianthemovie

#87 Post by ianthemovie » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:58 pm

How's the Sosin score for I Was Born, But...? Is it a shitty electric keyboard type deal or is it actually listenable?

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#88 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:32 am

It's just plain piano doodling (not sure if it's a keyboard or an actual piano). I'm not a fan of Sosin; I understand that he is trying not to dramatize the images too much, but mostly I find his scores to be so subtle and forgettable that they end up being slightly annoying, just the opposite of what he is aiming for.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#89 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:02 pm

Revisited the first Ozu film I ever saw (18 years ago) courtesy of the quite lovely looking Criterion BluRay (still working on my trove of B&N half price purchases).

Just as funny (and intelligent) as when I first saw it -- but now I understand much of the dialog (without having to look much at the subtitles). The cast is uniformly just plain perfect. I am delighted that this time around Criterion has gotten the color balancing as right as probably possible -- making up for its long-ago catastrophically bad DVD release (that looked worse than the earlier HVE VHS tape -- in terms of color).

I am glad that this was my first Ozu -- as it (with its fart and poop jokes -- and bratty children and back-biting housewives and drunken salarymen) made me totally immune to Schrader's (and others) goo-goo image of Ozu as "serene" and "transcendental". Ozu's work (almost always) has a solid comedic base (no matter how serious things may get during the course of a film) -- and his work was intended to be enjoyed (as well as thought about), not fetishized. This set also has his excellent silent "I Was Born But", which touched on some similar themes. If anyone here has still not dipped their toes in the Ozu-ian Sea (or has had an unsatisfying first experience with some other film) and is looking for a good Ozu starting place, this set probably is just the thing...

(Will comment on I Was Born But after I watch it -- I will probably not listen to much of the piano score -- as I find that this film has a very effective _implied_ soundtrack that is harder to pay attention to when one is listening to something else).

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#90 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:28 pm

I spotted a small error on the back cover of this release when I went to re-watch this today. They refer to the film as being in Technicolor, but all of Ozu's late color films were in Agfacolor, with the exception of Floating Weeds which was not only in Technicolor but for Daiei as opposed to his home at Shochiku. The opening credits even make a special note it being in Agfacolor (from what little Japanese I know). Interestingly, the Criterion website has fixed this error!

Gregory

#91 Post by Gregory » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:02 pm

The surprising thing about it is that not only did Criterion's description of the 2000 DVD include this but the Technicolor claim also survived in the rewritten description 17 years later, and it's currently still on the Criterion page for I Was Born But... and the Janus Films website listing for Good Morning.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#92 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:06 pm

Was Daieicolor just rebranded Technicolor? (I thought it was Eastmancolor)...

The Fanciful Norwegian

#93 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:36 pm

Daieicolor was rebranded Eastmancolor. I don't think any Japanese film was ever shot in Technicolor (though some might've been printed using the Technicolor dye-transfer process).