148 Ballad of a Soldier

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Martha

148 Ballad of a Soldier

#1 Post by Martha » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:21 pm

Ballad of a Soldier

Russian soldier Alyosha Skvortsov is granted a visit with his mother after he singlehandedly fends off two enemy tanks. As he journeys home, Alyosha encounters the devastation of his war-torn country, witnesses glimmers of hope among the people, and falls in love. With its poetic visual imagery, Grigori Chukhrai's Ballad of a Soldier is an unconventional meditation on the effects of war, and a milestone in Russian cinema.

Special Features

• New digital transfer
• Interview with director Grigori Chukhrai and stars Vladimir Ivashov and Zhanna Prokhorenko, conducted after a preview screening in New York
• New and improved English subtitle translation
• Optimal image quality; RSDL dual-layer edition

Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

Matt

#2 Post by Matt » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:19 pm

DVD Journal review by Mark Bourne:

Forget the stereotypes of Cold War-era Soviet cinema. Forget collectivist farm tractors filmed with the same photogenic reverence given to Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca. The Criterion Collection is counteracting decades of Western decadence with simultaneous releases of 1959's Ballad of a Soldier and 1957's The Cranes are Flying, two beautiful, sophisticated, and celebrated elegies to the individual and personal experiences of Russians during World War II. Russia's fight against the Nazi war machine cost that country 20 million lives. Ballad of a Soldier takes a simple premise — one young soldier's journey home to visit his mother — and shapes it into a polished lens. Through that lens Ballad projects those 20 million, and at the focal point burns a simple, genuine, and non-dogmatic meditation on the incalculably tragic cost of war.

The year is 1942. Soviet forces are retreating from the Nazi armies. The last survivor of a platoon, 19-year-old Alyosha (Vladimir Ivashov) is on the run from a German armored division. Thanks as much to luck as bravery or skill, the desperate soldier single-handedly takes out two tanks. His conduct on the battlefield makes him a hero, but instead of a medal he requests the rare privilege of enough leave-time to visit his mother and repair her leaking roof. His home village is a day away at peacetime; during wartime chaos the journey will be longer. His general rewards him with six days — two to get there, two to visit, two to return. Although Alyosha is in a great hurry, he does not refuse to help those in need. A boy of good nature, sensitive and honest and not yet eroded by life, he gives comfort to an embittered, legless veteran afraid to return to his wife in his present state. He delivers cakes of soap (a precious wartime gift) from a fellow soldier to his wife — only to fine that she has taken up with another man. He shares his meager property with others in need, notably a young woman, Shura (Zhanna Prokhorenko), a fellow stowaway on an army freight train. Clearly a victim of recent abuse, Shura at first distrusts Alyosha to the point of almost leaping from the train speeding through the ravaged countryside. Eventually newfound trust turns to mutual tenderness, then to love. In an ideal world, the couple would be fated to journey hand in hand throughout long and happy lives together. But this isn't an ideal world, and Alyosha reaches home just in time to hug his mother and say goodbye.

We are told at the outset that Alyosha is killed at the front, never to return to his mother, to Shura, or to anyone else again. Ballad of a Soldier's conclusion strikes a single, clear tone with one of the most poignant of wartime questions — what if? What if Alyosha, decent and honorable and deserving of a full life, had not died in the war? What could he, and by extension some 20 million Alyoshas, have become? What could this everyday hero have contributed if he'd been allowed to fulfill his promise? Ballad doesn't answer the question. Instead it tells us that Alyosha dies a "simple Russian soldier" (a citizen of a country, not an ideology) because he never had the time or opportunity to be anything else.

Technically rich yet possessing a remarkable simplicity, this visual poem of tender human connections remains a fresh and quietly powerful experience. Ballad of a Soldier is a work of beautiful craftsmanship that, in lesser hands, could have diminished into soapy melodrama or government-stamped rhetoric. Instead, director/co-writer Grigori Chukhrai delivered a personal ode, one indeed as emotive and straight-shooting as a ballad, to his own postwar generation. He did so with then-distinctive attention to varying responses war brings out in individual people, with moments of unmistakable (and now sweetly chaste) sexual heat, and without resorting to the clichés, stilted symbols, or pompous phraseology that did so much harm to Soviet cinema. If handsome, virtuous Alyosha is an idealized emblem of the Soviet character, it's to the degree that, say, Jimmy Stewart or John Wayne personified America's images of itself. Ballad is artful without being at all inaccessible, and every element — cinematography, sound, and especially the performances of the two extraordinary actors playing Alyosha and Shura — is as energetic and sharply honed as any of the best Hollywood or Western European product.

During the early '60s, when Kruschev supported a brief thaw in Cold War tensions, Ballad triumphantly toured the international festival circuit. It was (and is) hailed as a gem-like representative of the period's "new Soviet cinema," and for Russians it became one of their most beloved movies while also earning awards in Cannes, San Francisco, London, Tehran, and Milan before winning the Lenin Prize at home. In 1962 it was Oscar-nominated for Best Writing (Story and Screenplay) and won the British Academy Award for Best Film From Any Source. Our vantage-point several decades later allows us a broader view of Ballad's resonant theme. What might writer-director Grigori Chukhrai or the previously unknown acting students — Zhanna Prokhorenko (who's as lovely and soulful as Ingrid Bergman in her prime) and Vladimir Ivashov (one of the best leading men Hollywood never had) — have achieved if politics and circumstances had permitted greater artistic back-and-forth between the U.S. and Soviet film industries? There's of course no answer for that, though this release of Ballad of a Soldier hints at what might have been.

With this DVD, Criterion maintains its reputation for sterling restorations. The near-pristine 1.33:1 image sometimes could use more depth of contrast, but that quibble is more than compensated for by a gorgeous, nearly flawless black-and-white print of exquisite definition and clarity. The remastered audio comes in center-channel mono (DD 1.0), though given that restriction you couldn't ask for better strength and clarity of sound than what's on hand here. The Russian soundtrack is supported by optional (and newly translated) digital English subtitles. The disc also provides a 14-minute radio interview with the director and his two lead actors, presented with a gallery of images from the film, recorded at New York's Four Seasons restaurant in 1960. This then-rare example of Soviet artists permitted to go to America promoting a work as individual "stars" is slow-going due to translation-lag and a patience-taxing interviewer who apparently attended film school instead of Riveting Interview training, but it offers a first-person discussion of the film's production and relevance. Criterion rounds out its handsome keep-case packaging with an informative slipsheet.

GringoTex

#3 Post by GringoTex » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:25 pm

Just watched this. It's Jacques Demy on the Russian front, threatening to drown in syrup but always keeping it's amazing balance. It has the two most beautiful young leads you're likely to see in a film. It very much plays like a propaganda film, but I was thunderstruck at about the 75 minute mark when I saw the truth being told for the first time, not realizing until then that every word every character had spoke to that point had been a lie.

miless

#4 Post by miless » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:55 pm

I saw this movie in a Russian film and lit class and found it to be interesting, but have never wanted to revisit (or purchase this disc)... but we watched it back to back with The Cranes are Flying which I went out and bought immediately afterwards. Cranes seems completely modern in its style while Ballad seems 20 years older (despite their one year difference). To me, Cranes seems to be anticipating Tarkovsky, well at least Ivan's Childhood.

HerrSchreck

#5 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:53 pm

CRANES is a roaring masterpiece! Ballad's pretty good too but not on the level of CRANES imo.

miless

#6 Post by miless » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:19 am

HerrSchreck wrote:CRANES is a roaring masterpiece! Ballad's pretty good too but not on the level of CRANES imo.
I agree... for some reason I always get the urge to watch Cranes, Ivan's Childhood and Wajda's Ashes & Diamonds all in a row. sure Cranes and Ashes were both aknowledged influences on the style of Ivan, but it's power always gets its inclusion.

plus: I can't wait to pick up I Am Cuba tomorrow (40% off coupon). The documentary on the director of Cranes and Cuba is a big plus.

HerrSchreck

#7 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:07 pm

BINGO-- the documentary is my overriding interest, since I wasn't all that displeased w the prev editions' transfer or bilingual soundtrack. People think that Khalatozov was a "1950's/60's filmmaker" or that his earth shakingly inventive use of camera and sublime painterly pictorialism stemmed from his collaboratation with Uresevsky. Now, don't get me wrong, I think they are among the five or six greatest director/cinematographer teams in history and I think Uresevsky is the BOMB man (on a par with Murnau/Freund; Lang/Wagner--or Carl Hoffman... pick your era; Stiller/Julius J; Alton/Mann)... but all you need to do is watch the incredible visual sensibility in the stunning Salt For Svenetia (a silent film by Khalotozov from the early 30's, the earliest film from his canon I've seen.. perhaps the earliest one available??) and you see immediately that the man, from beginning to end, had a talent that sustained itself thru the whole of his career with moments of pure genius. There's such a tiny amount of documentary info about him I'm reallllllllly looking forward to that doc on the new edition!

I've always believed that CRANES was one of the finest titles in the whole CCollection.. and that the film itself is utterly in the tradition of Der Letze Mann, in that it proves as Murnau did in 1924 that a film can be both 1) an absolute, complete and total commercial crowd-pleasing melodrama filled with long kisses, broken hearts, hard nipples poking thru thin sweaters, pleasing to sentimental old biddies and 21 year old girls alike, as well as 2) an absolutely uncompromising masterpiece in every aesthetic dept: hugely inventive, unabashedly experimental, formally extreme in moments, undiluted, and pictorially astonishing without "watering down" the technique to suit mass appeal... and in fact the Technique merely served to enhance the effect of the appeal that triggered the ovation of the masses. The way anybody and everybody can appreciate the glorious genius of the Sistine Ceiling, Cranes is a work of uncompromising genius that nontheless speaks very clearly and easily to anyone and everyone. And is for anyone and everyone-- which happens to include hard core aesthetes, dissing college sophomores arguing Everything, the avant garde, etc.. It's I believe one of the most deserving of Palm D'Or's in the history of the award.

Love CRANES. I Am Cuba has nothing on it visually.. in fact I find Cranes the superior film of the two.

On the other hand BALLAD was a very neccessary-- imho-- film for the Soviets to make, at the time that it was made. The pathos of the love story in Cranes, and the sweetness of the bittersweet ending (the finding of equanimity vs the Soviet loss in WW2) blooped just a tad bit over something "the cult of personality" in USSR had been avoiding: a mass catharsis of grieving over their loss. They lost Twenty.Fucking.Million.People in WWII... it's a staggering, incomprehensible loss. A hyperholocaust all it's own, and one that is not well known... especially since the great engine of the global media-- the US, and the Western World in general-- likes to pat itself on the back for knocking the NaZi's down. As if those brave gum-chewing American farmboys, and UK lads with bad teeth, lanky limbs and hearts of gold, took Hitler down all on their own to the great pride of their homelands. Whereas the reality is we wouldn't have had a hair's chance in a bonfire-- in 1944-- had not the Soviets been slogging and pushing and shoving and dying en masse to wear down the huge, armored, motorized front facing them-- across the largest front in history-- for well nigh three years already. Stalin was begging, pleading, squealing for some relief to give his forces a rest, but the US/UK had to wait until they were sure that they were fully assembled in the UK, whereby their one Big Great Shot would not be a waste of Everything (Overlord)...

So yes Ballad is a bit simpler, but in context it was badly needed-- a non-glamorized, generally de-propagandized (vs what they were regularly fed by Image Central), honest-seeming sort of a celebration and tribute to the mothers of all those lost young men.. as well as of course the yougn men themselves... way way way too many lost young men. It's as much of a "moment" and "corner turning" in the life of a regime, as it is a piece of cinema (which stands on it's own quite well as an openly emotional war melodrama).

Belmondo

#8 Post by Belmondo » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:27 pm

Many historians believe that the number of Russians killed during the war was at least double the accepted 20 million number, if not even more.
I thought "Ballad of a Soldier" was quite wonderful. On first viewing, I did feel that the soldier was too good and gentle to be believed - particularly since he was a front line combat soldier. Subsequent reading has shown me that this is not necessarily the case.
The best example is this: When the Russians took Berlin at the end of the war, virtually every woman who could be found was forcibly raped by Russian soldiers. However, the women later said it was not done by the front line soldiers who fought their way into the city, but by the riff raff who came after them. The front line soldiers were often described as sparing of women and children.
I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions to this, but it gave me better appreciation of the character in the movie, and other reading has shown me that these peasant soldiers were complete victims of the godawful system and godawful discipline under which they fought.

miless

#9 Post by miless » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:31 am

hey HerrSchreck, have you seen The Red Tent?
I've been meaning to check it out, but have never gotten around to it.

HerrSchreck

#10 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:57 am

No I haven't.

tryavna

#11 Post by tryavna » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:52 am

The Red Tent is well worth both your whiles. In many respects, it's very much a throw-back to K's first film, Salt for Sventia, in the sense that it's all about a group of people fighting for their very survival in a brutal environment. The cast is uniformly great, with Peter Finch standing out as Umberto Nobile. The weird flashback structure puts a lot of people off: it starts with an elderly Nobile calling upon the ghosts of his comrades to try his case from beyond the grave. But I find that it gives the film a unique touch in comparison to all those many other arctic exploration movies.

There's little in the way of K's more dazzling cinematic touches, but the photography is beautiful. And I think it has one of Ennio Morricone's best scores from the 1970s.

Senya

#12 Post by Senya » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:47 pm

The well known outside ex-USSR The Red Tent is a reedited and rescored version of original director's cut available in Russia and called Krasnaya Palatka (КраÑ

HerrSchreck

#13 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:52 am

Boy if you go down to the comments section of that link, you'll see that Greg "Ashirg" Meshman really gets around!

dad1153

Re: 148 Ballad of a Soldier

#14 Post by dad1153 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:06 pm

Caught the TCM Export showing of "Ballad of a Soldier" over Memorial Day Weekend. WOW! =D> My first Grigori Chukhrai movie has left me hungry for more of the man's work. Is "Cranes Are Flying" like "Ballad..." even though it's from another Russian director or totally different but with the same spirit? This thread suggests that while "Ballad..." is OK "Cranes..." is a much better movie.

Tuned into "Ballad..." not knowing what it was about, who Chukhrai was or anything about the plot. Came away a fan despite the movie being every bit as hearty, unbelievable (Aloysha surviving the bombing of the last train) and make-believe as your typical Hollywood romantic epic from that era. Unlike most military movies the best action scenes are front-loaded and actually have a purpose beyond showing off how cool tanks look on-camera: to explain why a Russian private would be given six days leave in the heat of World War II. There is an earnestness and heart to Chukhrai's deceivingly-simple structure (basically a road trip within World War II era Russia) about the insanity of war in the backdrop of millions of Russian men and women dying/suffering anonymously around the leads (except for the few people Aloysha and Shura actually interact with). The squandered hope for the future of mother Russia is represented in the unfulfilled relationship between Pvt. Aloysha (Vladimir Ivashov) and Shura (the gorgeous Zhanna Prokhorenko). Their scenes together aboard the hay car on the military train started like typical romantic comedy material that made me roll my eyes. But, by the time the young couple are on their last train ride with the wind blowing Shura's hair and his eyes meeting hers without either one doing what we expect them to do, the lyrical beauty and emotional power of the scene puts most Hollywood romantic scenes (past and present) to shame. Aloysha's final dash to see his mother before being forced to turn back and return to the front gripped me and had me crying at the end of the flick (not as bad as "Sansho the Bailiff" but close), proof that even B&W 50's Russian movies with subtitles can be appreciated when heart and soul are applied to the craft of making good movies about/with universally appealing characters. I'd personally remove the opening scene of the mother looking down the road because it telegraphs too much how the ending will play out (my opinion) but overall "Ballad of a Soldier" exceeded my non-existent expectations. It's a crowd-pleaser with a message that one doesn't have to be Russian to appreciate: war is f***ing hell on the little folks like Aloysha, his mother, Shura and the folks they met along the way.

MichaelB

#15 Post by MichaelB » Wed May 27, 2009 3:15 pm

dad1153 wrote:Caught the TCM Export showing of "Ballad of a Soldier" over Memorial Day Weekend. WOW! =D> My first Grigori Chukhrai movie has left me hungry for more of the man's work. Is "Cranes Are Flying" like "Ballad..." even though it's from another Russian director or totally different but with the same spirit? This thread suggests that while "Ballad..." is OK "Cranes..." is a much better movie.
Depends on what you mean by "much better". Cranes is certainly a more technically virtuoso work - Sergei Urusevsky's mobile cinematography is astonishing even by today's Steadicam standards, and clearly achieved with far more restricted means, and if you liked the big set-piece at the start of Ballad you'll have overdosed well before the end of the Kalatozov film.

That said, I remember finding Ballad more emotionally satisfying, largely because Chukhrai isn't afraid of understatement when it seems most appropriate.

Sorry for the vagueness, incidentally - I haven't seen either film since the original Ruscico releases circa 2001, but I certainly recommend both.

HerrSchreck

#16 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed May 27, 2009 7:26 pm

I'd first like to recommend, especially to you Mike, Chukrai's The Forty-First, which pairs him up, with gorgeous color cinematography, with Sergei Urusevsy. Absolutely, stunningly beautiful. Take the rampant outdoor beauty of say Kalatozov's The Letter Never Sent, morph it into color and out in the barren steppes, and you've got this wonder of a film.

That said, I mightily disagree with you that the merits of CRANES is more technical than emotional (are you sure you're not thinking of Soy Cuba instead?)-- what's so astounding about this film is the incredible expressiveness of the cinematograpy, which is ever and entirely in the service of this most powerful melodrama. Rather than Cuba, which is an excercise in cinematography in search of a narrative, CRANES is one of the most perfect blendings of the art films and crowd pleasing melodrama I've ever, ever seen... and I've rarely come across a dissident. It's one of the very few films I've ever seen that maintains the excellence of the silent film art in the sound era. There's not a single detatched shot in the whole affair... not a solitary vanity shot done without a reason save that It Could Be Done. Truly one of the most beautiful films ever made-- you really should watch the CC version of the film, which is miles ahead of the RusCiCo.

Raw Deal

#17 Post by Raw Deal » Wed May 27, 2009 7:36 pm

First time poster (and long time reader of the forum). In addition to "Ballad" I would urge you to not only experience the very different but equally superb "The Cranes are Flying" but to also purchase and/or rent Criterion's stunning presentation of Tarkovsky's "Ivan's Childhood. " In my humble opinion, all three are among the finest titles to emerge as a result of the Soviet film industry's decision in the late 1950s to allow filmmakers more creativity (and to address heretofore subject matter that was strictly forbidden by earlier governments). In contrast to many of the propagandistic films made before this period, the above works are nothing less than masterpieces, with powerful anti-war messages, yet each is delivered in very individual ways. At the risk of sounding cliched, these films will linger long after the credits.

dad1153

#18 Post by dad1153 » Wed May 27, 2009 8:37 pm

Raw Deal wrote:... I would urge you to not only experience the very different but equally superb "The Cranes are Flying" but to also purchase and/or rent Criterion's stunning presentation of Tarkovsky's "Ivan's Childhood."
Just came back from the store with a brand-new "Ivan's Childhood" Criterion DVD in the bag. It's on! :P

knives

#19 Post by knives » Wed May 27, 2009 8:41 pm

You will not be disappointed. great opening to a great director.

fiddlesticks

#20 Post by fiddlesticks » Fri May 29, 2009 3:21 pm

If you still want to see The Cranes are Flying, it's available for free at The Auteurs right now.

dad1153

#21 Post by dad1153 » Sat May 30, 2009 10:45 am

Thanks. It's a deal. :)

Mr Sausage

Ballad of a Soldier (Grigori Chukhrai, 1959)

#22 Post by Mr Sausage » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:08 am

DISCUSSION ENDS MONDAY, JULY 21st AT 6:30 AM.

Members have a two week period in which to discuss the film before it's moved to its dedicated thread in The Criterion Collection subforum. Please read the Rules and Procedures.

This thread is not spoiler free. This is a discussion thread; you should expect plot points of the individual films under discussion to be discussed openly. See: spoiler rules.

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

I encourage members to submit questions, either those designed to elicit discussion and point out interesting things to keep an eye on, or just something you want answered. This will be extremely helpful in getting discussion started. Starting is always the hardest part, all the more so if it's unguided. Questions can be submitted to me via PM.

***PM me if you have any suggestions for additions or just general concerns and questions.***

Shrew
The Untamed One

Re: Ballad of a Soldier (Grigori Chukhrai, 1959)

#23 Post by Shrew » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:33 am

I'll throw up some discussion questions to maybe get things started, then weigh in with more thoughts tomorrow--hopefully.

1) Given the episodic nature of the film, are there segments you find more or less effective? Do they coalesce into a satisfying whole, or is the film easier for you to appreciate in terms of a few memorable scenes or segments?

2) How does the film fit into the genre of Socialist Realism (or for those less familiar with it, what you imagine it to be)? How does it push against the confines of that genre and/or exemplify that genre? (This might also be a time to bring up its spinemate The Cranes Are Flying.)

3) Cinematography is a obvious highlight of the film, but it's accentuated by the often continuity-breaking editing and mise-en-scene. Do you find this style appropriate to conveying the subject matter or distracting? Do the aesthetic pleasures overwhelm the narrative and propagandistic elements of the film or are they balanced and support each other?

4) Speaking of cinematography, anyone have a favorite shot?

5) How about that tank fight?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#24 Post by Drucker » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:46 pm

2) For me, the film had a very misleading, almost individualistic spin to it, at times. I don't know what socialist realism means, but I assume an almost neo-realist film with a socialist message. The big takeaway for me at the end of the film was: don't worry about the boys fighting the wars. They are honorable and noble, and doing good. While you may worry about them while they are away, be sure that they are in good hands!
This didn't occur to me until the last scene, but that's my take.

3) The film was very beautiful and this didn't distract from it. When our protagonist and the girl depart on the train...what a beautiful way to make them both regret their decisions! The editing, drifting nature of it was beautiful.

The film really was marvelous and I definitely saw it as more of a coming of age type film more than anything else. The young lad grows up in some meaningful ways. While he seems to begin the movie as an almost shucks, nice boy, he learns some valuable life lessons and has some good, new experiences.

The first thing that struck me was the surprising visual style, good and bad. I wish that opening sequence didn't have credits obscuring it! As soon as we're dropped in the trenches though, it didn't feel like a Russian movie to me. Not that I know much about Russian film besides a few big names, but it really felt like a regular American war movie. Two friends stuck in the trench together. The way it was shot felt American to me. And we're quickly launched into this almost Bergman-esque (it reminded me of the dream sequence in Wild Strawberries) tank-chase. The whole thing still sticks out in my mind, especially after seeing the whole movie. It stands out as a really unique part of the film.

And in hindsight, I think the ending of the film is so much more profound because we know that the soldier doesn't survive. Were we to experience the story and then have this 19-year old boy die suddenly at the end (again, my US-centric notion of what a film will do), I think I would have felt cheated. Of course this boy we love, who goes through a 5-day journey just to visit his mom, is torn down by war. But instead, we get to celebrate the life of this truly generous boy. We know how this story ends right from the outset, and that allows us better to celebrate his life. His joys, his failures, his awkwardness is almost a character study.

And as I mentioned above, the way I read the film was that the young soldiers may be gone from home, and you at home may be worrying about them, but they are away learning valuable lessons and supporting the greater good. The army is turning these young boys into men in the best way possible. Making them noble and selfless. Helping fellow soldiers in need (the man on crutches), a citizen trying to find her way, and connecting other soldiers with those at home who love them. At the same time, the movie has a strong foot in the narrative of an individual's growth. We see our protagonist disgusted at the lies of a woman who hasn't been loyal to her husband, and then he turns around and lies to the soldier's father to make him feel better. And he lies to try to get his girl on the train with him constantly. But if it's for the greater good, then that is okay.

A few other scattered thoughts:

-I don't think he would have been permitted the leave if he was an older soldier. But as a kid, it's seen as harmless and fair for the kid to get to visit home. This journey home, in turn, helps him to grow up.
-The ending is superb. Really emotional and gripping. Wasn't expecting him to make it home at all.
-When the villager girl sees the soldier, she is scared at first. Is she the audience? Is there a reason soldiers would have had a bad rap that the movie is trying to combat the image of?

Mr Sausage

#25 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:05 pm

drucker wrote:I don't know what socialist realism means, but I assume an almost neo-realist film with a socialist message.
Not really. Socialist realism need not be realistic, as you might imagine in a propaganda state like Soviet Russia. It was usually about glorifying peasants and farmers and idealizing the struggle towards emancipation. It has a strong ideological and pedagogical function, to which the realist ends are more or less subordinated. Eisenstein's Alexander Nevsky is not atypical of the way people and reality were represented in socialist realism.

Reminds me of a funny story. Some soviet agent was trying to convince Nabokov to come back to Russia. When Nabokov asked what he would be allowed to write about, the agent said he could write about all sorts of things, like tractors. The discussion did not go far after that.