713-719 The Essential Jacques Demy

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
EddieLarkin

Re: 713-719 The Essential Jacques Demy

#76 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:58 pm

I think the only thing I'd argue for is a little more transparency from Criterion, a transparency we've come to expect from Arrow and MoC these days. An acknowledgement that Lola unfortunately doesn't look up to scratch (instead of the implication in the booklet that because the negative is gone, Lola has to look like an upscaled DVD with some scrubbing added to boot) and that there's little they can do about it due to budget, politics or any other reasons that we'd all find acceptable, would assuage a lot of the anger. Why Criterion don't have a rep to post here and other places I don't know.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#77 Post by swo17 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:11 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:and that there's little they can do about it due to budget, politics or any other reasons that we'd all find acceptable, would assuage a lot of the anger.
That's the thing about politics--if you say "sorry, it was politics" then you're no longer keeping politics. It doesn't do any good to accept a bad transfer to maintain a good relationship with a certain party if you then publicly criticize the transfer. (Didn't Arrow handle reaction to Phantom of the Paradise the same way?)

Also, Criterion gave a perfectly acceptable reason for the different color timing on Scanners, and that hasn't kept people from complaining!

MichaelB

#78 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:20 pm

swo17 wrote:That's the thing about politics--if you say "sorry, it was politics" then you're no longer keeping politics. It doesn't do any good to accept a bad transfer to maintain a good relationship with a certain party if you then publicly criticize the transfer.
Exactly. When I recently let slip in another forum that I'd had a project cancelled because the master wasn't up to scratch, someone immediately asked me what film it was, and even proffered a suggestion. But I'm obviously not going to blurt it out in a public forum (or even via PM): the project hadn't been announced in public, so there's no embarrassment provided I keep schtum.

It's particularly important that I don't say what it was because there's every likelihood that the rightsholder hadn't personally seen the master and was acting in entirely good faith - and it's a relationship that I'd like to maintain, despite this disappointment. And this business is all about maintaining relationships.

EddieLarkin

#79 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:29 pm

True, but at the same time I just can't see Arrow putting out something like Lola these days without them making a blog post, or Michael or Francesco posting here, about why it looks the way it does and why there was little that could be done about it. Their fans would certainly expect it and they surely know that. It was great news when they announced that The 'Burbs would get a new transfer (and looking at the caps of the recent German disc, the reason why was very clear). But if Arrow were in a situation were Universal simply would not let them do their own transfer, and Arrow's only choice was to release it as is*, I think they'd give an explanation (choosing their words carefully so as to not risk insulting Universal, of course).

*Cancelling the project entirely is obviously an option (as in Michael's example), but the response to their announcement of The 'Burbs was fairly huge so I imagine a lot of fans would still want a release.

MichaelB

#80 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:33 pm

Cancelling a project after a public announcement of its existence is much, much harder - which is why that happens much more rarely.

Jack Phillips

#81 Post by Jack Phillips » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:48 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:and Bay of Angels
Thank heavens! Lola means almost nothing to me, but Bay of Angels really is essential. I might have been reluctant to purchase this set at the RDP (Regularly Discounted Price), but during the B&N sale it's a no-brainer. Day One purchase for me.

_shadow_

#82 Post by _shadow_ » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:31 am

Something worth mentioning for those who just want "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg": the compression on the Criterion seems much superior to that of the StudioCanal release. This is apparent in the DVD Beaver comparisons, though surprisingly there's no mention made of it. The door inside the shop in the second comparison image shows the problem clearly - the upper half of the door is just macro blocking on the StudioCanal, while rendered naturally on the Criterion.

The poor compression was also mentioned in the caps-a-holic compare of the SC BD and the US DVD - according to the comments, the French BD doesn't have these issues.

I imagine the blocking is not as noticeable in motion, but if you're on the fence between versions that's a significant advantage of the Criterion set.

FrauBlucher

#83 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:14 am

manicsounds

#84 Post by manicsounds » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:44 pm

And DVDBeaver on "Une Chambre En Ville which holds the bulk of the long extras. (1 hour plus visual essay? yup)

criterionsnob

#85 Post by criterionsnob » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:29 pm

rrenault

Re: 713 - 719 The Essential Jacques Demy

#86 Post by rrenault » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:30 pm

domino harvey wrote:I have the French box with its share of exclusive titles and extras, but I'll gladly upgrade. If Criterion is using the same master as the French Blu-ray for Rochefort, look out as it's a stunner. Shame they couldn't wrestle Lola-sequel Model Shop from Sony (Or didn't try?)
Are you referring to the Arte blu ray release of Rochefort? I ask since it appears that edition was released back in 2010, so I just wanted to vouch for the fact they're the same transfer even if the Criterion is a sexier package.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#87 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:33 pm

I do have the Arte blu-ray and just bought the Demy set today. I can do a spot-check later for how they match up on my system, but have no way of posting caps unless you want an iPhone picture of my screen (you don't) (trust me) (and probably someone else like a reviewer/screencapper has already done a comparison?)

rrenault

#88 Post by rrenault » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:41 pm

_shadow_ wrote:Something worth mentioning for those who just want "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg": the compression on the Criterion seems much superior to that of the StudioCanal release. This is apparent in the DVD Beaver comparisons, though surprisingly there's no mention made of it. The door inside the shop in the second comparison image shows the problem clearly - the upper half of the door is just macro blocking on the StudioCanal, while rendered naturally on the Criterion.

The poor compression was also mentioned in the caps-a-holic compare of the SC BD and the US DVD - according to the comments, the French BD doesn't have these issues.

I imagine the blocking is not as noticeable in motion, but if you're on the fence between versions that's a significant advantage of the Criterion set.
I'm a bit confused here. You're mentioning a Studio Canal blu ray and a French BD, which I'm assuming is also SC, so is it the British BD that has compression issues, whereas the French SC release is comparable to Criterion in transfer quality? I know it's a dumb question.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#89 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:43 pm

domino harvey wrote:I can do a spot-check later for how they match up on my system, but have no way of posting caps unless you want an iPhone picture of my screen (you don't) (trust me)
Would you at least consider sketching a comparison using Microsoft Paint?

rrenault

#90 Post by rrenault » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:47 pm

domino harvey wrote:I do have the Arte blu-ray and just bought the Demy set today. I can do a spot-check later for how they match up on my system, but have no way of posting caps unless you want an iPhone picture of my screen (you don't) (trust me) (and probably someone else like a reviewer/screencapper has already done a comparison?)
Well Beaver doesn't seem to have reviewed the French BD releases of Cherbourg or Rochefort.

EddieLarkin

#91 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:33 pm

Blu-ray.com reviewed both. Same transfer.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#92 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:27 am

Demy set arrived yesterday. So, I had to watch Umbrellas (never seen it, but my wife saw it eons ago). Looks utterly gorgeous -- I can't imagine how it could look better. The score could have used a couple more "real" songs, perhaps -- the speech-singing typically didn't add much, but it wasn't annoying. But overall -- very pleased (having not been sure what to expect).

J Wilson

#93 Post by J Wilson » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:28 am

I wish that the other five (!) episodes of the Rochefort making-of series from Belgium could have somehow been included. I really enjoyed the interviews and fly on the wall aspect of the footage, with Deneuve complaining about her costume, to seeing Dorleac shooting both the French and English versions of part of "A Pair of Twins."

GHB

#94 Post by GHB » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:16 pm

New to posting on the site. I've been going through the Demy box this week, having never seen any of his films before. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg blew me away. What a beautiful film! I immediately recognized I Will Wait For You, but also thought I recognized another song in the movie. Turns out that song was anglicized to become Watch What Happens. Then I watched Lola, and that same music was in there, three years earlier. Great supplements too!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#95 Post by tenia » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:50 am

As Svet wrote on his review for Rochefort, the introduction text at the beginning of the movie and concerning the restoration seems wrong : it says the restoration was performed on 2011, but the Arte BD has been released in 2010.

Since both BDs are using the same restoration, I guess it actually was performed beginning in 2010, and not in 2011.

It also struck me as weird because I thought "the Arte BD seems older than 2011", and indeed.

First time I see such a text panel wrongly adressing the production year of a restoration.

Anyway. Beautiful restoration, very nice 5.1 track (the French BD is only 2.0), and it's very neat to get the documentary Les demoiselles ont 25 ans through the new 2K restoration performed in 2013 (the French BD only has it in SD, and most likely from a inferior source).

Zaki

#96 Post by Zaki » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:01 pm

zedz wrote:
Dylan wrote:The English dub of Rochefort, however, is well-known and the complete soundtrack to the English version was released on LP at the time and is also included on the recently released (and marvelous!) 11 CD box set of Michel Legrand's complete scores for Demy films (a box set that also includes alternates, covers, demos, concert versions, etc. but it doesn't include the alleged English version of Umbrellas beyond cover versions of certain songs recorded after the film's release).
I'm just reporting my astonishment that this 11 CD set is available from Amazon.fr right now for a mere 32E (once you deduct VAT). I don't know if that's the regular retail price, but it's an incredible bargain anyway.
Well, this very 11 CD set ("L'INTEGRALE COMPLETE EDITION JACQUES DEMY & MICHEL (IMPORT)") is sold currently for $35.25 on deepdiscount.com. Actually, since they have a site-wide sale today only (15% off), the set could be purchased for $29.96.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#97 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:29 pm

Lemmy Caution

#98 Post by Lemmy Caution » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:51 pm

While everyone seems to moan over the picture quality of Lola, the disc also contains 4 early Demy short films which are quite enjoyable and help trace his development and style.
I do however think the covers are fairly ugly for this set.

knives

#99 Post by knives » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:22 am

What's that lovely looking musical with the older fellow (Montand?) featured in the Varda doc after Lola? It looks as amazing and tantalizing as A Slightly Pregnant Man looks to be a mistake.

fdm

#100 Post by fdm » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:47 am

"Trois places pour le 26"/"Three Tickets for the 26th" (1988)