It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:05 am 

I'm afraid I too was quite underwhelmed by this when I saw it on TV (albeit in terrible unrestored condition) a little after reading all the hype on the forum and elsewhere - especially as I'm a big fan of Clair's It Happened Tomorrow, a far superior fantasy/screwball comedy from the same period. I didn't hate it, but I guess I had inflated expectations based on Tomorrow and was disappointed to find little of that film's wit and punch (not to mention the masterful direction of the last 15-20 minutes or so, five of which play out virtuosically in real time!); also rather failed to see the appeal of Veronica Lake, but to each their own, I guess...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:56 pm 

Drucker wrote:
So not to call people out, but I remember when this film was announced it had some ardent backers, right? Anyone have anything to add illustrating their love of the film?
I also thought we'd see some ardent defenses that get inside the film a little and point to things I might not have caught, having only seen it once. It seems like you were onto something when you questioned in the vote thread, "this is the Clair film we want to discuss?" Not that the discussion has been pointless or anything like that. I hope to see A Nous la Liberté chosen in a future round.
My take on Witch is that it seemed like it was not the film it could have been if so much hadn't gone wrong in its production: Sturges leaving, conflict and lack of chemistry between Lake and March, and (perhaps most crucially) a screenplay that just wasn't exactly a riot by screenwriters (Robert Pirosh and Marc Connelly) who are not known for having created great comedies in general.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:27 am 

Was rewatching this today and the Blu-ray froze for a few moments at the 1:13:42 mark, and the player was making some whirring sounds. Almost like an old-fashioned DVD layer change way back when. Anyone else had this issue? Never had it before.