645 The Ballad of Narayama

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
zedz

Re: 645 The Ballad of Narayama GLITCH!

#26 Post by zedz » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:25 pm

bornapah wrote:Yea i am watching and was shocked at glitch where u said, i looked it up immediately and found this! Haha And then checked hulu plus and it's also there so it was a transfer thing, Def what other guy said about shutter, that's unfortunate! This film is so fascinating. Maybe even a bad decision filming it? Also notice u can hear the stage when man runs down "dirt" path haha. Tho it is Def conscious of itself as a set and still worth watching!
i - how u say? - i wonder u, i wonder u

Orlac

Re: 645 The Ballad of Narayama

#27 Post by Orlac » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:06 pm

Does anyone know if this "glitch" was present on older video releases (assuming there were any).

TheKieslowskiHaze

#28 Post by TheKieslowskiHaze » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:05 am

triodelover wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:19 pm
The greatest difference is that the Kinoshita is quite stylized with a very theatrical feel showing strong Kabuki influences, somewhat like the Golden Pavilion scene in Schrader's Mishima with respect to the stage sets. If the BD is all that one hopes, the sets will steal the show. Finally (and this is just my humble opinion colored by the fact I'm a Tanaka fanboy), I don't think Sakamoto Sumiko's Orin holds a candle to Tanaka Kinuyo. But YMMV.

(Full disclosure: I own the MoC Imamura and the old Tartan Kinoshita. I'm over the moon about a Kinoshita Blu. I agree the Imamura is a masterpiece but the Kinoshita goes to that desert island with me.)
I watched this last night (played a game with the wife where we did a 1-1000 random number generator and watched the movie with the corresponding spine number). I also thought of Mishima. Really neat visual design.

I know the 1983 version has a Region B MoC blu-ray out there. Curious if there's a possibility of it coming to the states or even to Criterion specifically.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#29 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:21 am

TheKieslowskiHaze wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:05 am
I know the 1983 version has a Region B MoC blu-ray out there. Curious if there's a possibility of it coming to the states or even to Criterion specifically.
I doubt Criterion will release it. It’s a Toei film, a company Criterion has never licensed from. That said, Arrow has licensed a lot from Toei and can see this being a release from them, especially as Black Rain is forthcoming.

TheKieslowskiHaze

#30 Post by TheKieslowskiHaze » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:26 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:21 am
I doubt Criterion will release it. It’s a Toei film, a company Criterion has never licensed from. That said, Arrow has licensed a lot from Toei and can see this being a release from them, especially as Black Rain is forthcoming.
Thanks! I noticed it is available to rent (but not buy) on Amazon Prime Video. I'm not sure how good the quality is.