586 Island of Lost Souls

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Jeff

586 Island of Lost Souls

#1 Post by Jeff » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:37 am

Island of Lost Souls

Image Image

A twisted treasure from Hollywood’s pre-Code horror heyday, Island of Lost Souls is a cautionary tale of science run amok adapted from H. G. Wells’s novel The Island of Dr. Moreau. In one of his first major movie roles, Charles Laughton is a mad doctor conducting ghastly genetic experiments on a remote island in the South Seas, much to the fear and disgust of the shipwrecked sailor (Richard Arlen) who finds himself trapped there. Erle C. Kenton’s touchstone of movie terror is elegantly shot by Karl Struss, features groundbreaking makeup effects that inspired generations of monster-movie artists, and costars Bela Lugosi in one his most gruesome roles.

- New high-definition digital restoration of the uncut theatrical version (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
- Audio commentary by film historian Gregory Mank, author of Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff and Hollywood’s Maddest Doctors
- New conversation between filmmaker John Landis, Oscar-winning makeup artist Rick Baker, and genre expert Bob Burns
- New interviews with horror film historian David J. Skal; filmmaker Richard Stanley, the original director of the ill-fated 1996 adaptation; and Gerald Casale and Mark Mothersbaugh of the band Devo
- The Beginning Was the End: The Complete Truth About De-evolution, a short 1976 film by Devo, featuring the songs “Secret Agent Man” and “Jocko Homo”
- Stills gallery
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Christine Smallwood

DVD
Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled
Blu-ray
Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

dvdane

#2 Post by dvdane » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:09 pm

It is quiet an interesting horrorfilm, but very aged and very not Wells. As I recall, Wells was furious about the adaption and it was because of it, that he insisted on and recieved approval rights for the script of "The Invisible Man".

I wouldn't recommend to cash out over $50 for the laserdisc, unless you are a hard-core thirties horror fan and must have any film made during this period.

alandau

#3 Post by alandau » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:09 am

well said flixyflox. However, you forgot to mention the excellent cinematography by Karl Struss, which gives this precode horror a touch of that Paramount glow.

I had the MCA video, and sold it on ebay, thinking a DVD would be released. I am still waiting, even though I do not expect much from Universal.

Finally, there is a gay sado-masochistic subtext that permeates the whole film. I for one, do not think this classic has aged.

alandau

#4 Post by alandau » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:48 am

I just love Laughton playing the vicious queen. I always wonder how poor Elsa could take it all. In Island of Lost souls he has a ball. And I guess he, Leisen and Claudette, would of had a great time in The Sign of the Cross.

alandau

#5 Post by alandau » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:10 pm

flixyflox. I thought the VHS release from the early 90's was quite good. It lacked sharpness, however, the close-ups looked great. One could appreciate, Struss's soft focus photography.

I also saw this film at the cinematheque in Melbourne in the late 90's. The print was good too, so I do not know where Universal sourced the laserdisc transfer.

I agree with you, and doubt this will ever be released on DVD, or that it will ever be restored. The only salvation for this movie is if Criterion (or Kino) release it.

Cinephrenic

#6 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:52 pm

Does any know if of Paramount's plans to bring this out on DVD anytime soon?

Ashirg

#7 Post by Ashirg » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:40 pm

It's owned by Universal, so Paramount's plans don't matter.

tryavna

#8 Post by tryavna » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:41 pm

Paramount no longer owns it. It's the property of Universal -- along with all the other pre-1948 Paramount titles. I assume we'll see an eventual Universal release. Maybe next Halloween?

EDIT: We were thinking the same thing at the same time, apparently.

HerrSchreck

#9 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:55 am

My lament for this film is scattered around on this site. One of the most genuinely haunting horror films from any era, and certainly going to find a spot on my 30's list.

Yes it's owned by Universal, like all all the Paramounts up to the latter part of the 40's. I have the old MCA Universal VHS which is gorgeous-- the film is in excellent condition and well cared for. It just blows my mind that this hasn't found it's way out on DVD via some kind of horror collection... they could even sneak it onto a Bela Lugosi collection ("Are We Not Men?").

The use of the mentally & physically handicapped, war-disfigured, plus Laughton's chilling performance as Moreau (you want an illustration of versatility, watch two of his films from the same year: the goodly, guffawing, gregarious Sir William Porterhouse in OLD DARK HOUSE-- another shoe-in for my 30's list-- contrasted against his portrayal of the low-keyed, yet dominant & sinister Moreau... the USA's Emil Jannings of the era)... ah all this stuff, along with the gloomy, overgrown, superexotic sets, Erle Kenton's tight direction, and the great Karl Struss (SUNRISE, SIGN OF THE CROSS, THE GREAT DICTATOR, DR JEKYLL & MR HYDE Mamoulian version, plus silent greats SPARROWS & the stunning silent BEN HUR, among many others) make this a total masterpiece of classic 30's gothic horror.

David Ehrenstein

#10 Post by David Ehrenstein » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:35 pm

I have it on laser, and it's one of the greatest horror films ever made -- right up there with Franju's Les yeux sans visage

Karl Freud's cinematography is amazing, and Laughton's performance beyond outrageous.

Cinephrenic

#11 Post by Cinephrenic » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:56 pm

Karl Freud's cinematography is amazing
Little correction: Karl Struss. I think you confused him with the director.

Well, i'm glad it's Universal than Paramount. They're lashing out with great sets soon (Inner Sanctum Mysteries: Complete Movie Collection (9/19), Boris Karloff Collection (9/19). Perhaps a release will follow soon. It would be wonderful if they had Criterion doing this.

HerrSchreck

#12 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:55 am

Cinephrenic wrote:
Karl Freud's cinematography is amazing
Little correction: Karl Struss. I think you confused him with the director.
Which was Erle Kenton. And I think he confused Papa Freund with Grampa Sigmund.

But Dave is right on the money with this film. It is so much more than even your typical excellent 30's A-list horror film (distinguishing from some of the second string programmers that Kenton directed for Universal slightly later in his career, some of the Frankenstein & Dracula monster mashups.. i e the two HOUSE OF..'s each of which is a hoot by the way, and very elegantly shot & directed considering the silliness of the material). In terms of giving one the genuine creeps, it exceeds the work of Whale & Browning... both of whom of course infused a sense of comedic grotesquerie which this film does not go lightly over. It's a genuinely eerie film, one which disturbed viewers upon release (leading to it being banned in areas) and continues to do so today.

Couldn't resist:

...I can just hear him groaning with outstretched arm: "His is the House... of.. PAINNNN!"

David Ehrenstein

#13 Post by David Ehrenstein » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:19 am

There's a wonderful moment where Laughton (wearing jodpurs for some reason) lolls against an operating room table while toying with his whip that is beyond camp.

And needless to say none of the subsequent versions of The Island of Dr. Moreau have come within shouting distance of Island of Lost Souls.

Also worth mentioning is Charles Ludlam's Bluebeard -- which ran well over a year off-broadway -- in which the tale of the famous "ladykiller" is cross-bred with Island of Lost Souls As the Panther Woman, Mario Montez (of Jack Smith and Andy Warhol fame) had the role of a lifetime. A shame it wasn't filmed.

David Ehrenstein

#14 Post by David Ehrenstein » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:50 pm

He may have been someone in a crowd scene in Pink Narcissus. If so he's unrecognizable. As a working actor he probably did bit parts on many TV shows.

I saw his Camille twice.

colinr0380

Re: 586 Island of Lost Souls

#15 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:50 pm

Amazing to see Richard Stanley getting interviewed on the disc. Criterion are really covering all the bases in terms of contributors!

matrixschmatrix

#16 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:53 pm

I think this one has more features than every other new release for October put together. I wonder if they were just readier to hand, of if this is a real labor of love for some of the Criterion people.

knives

#17 Post by knives » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:57 pm

This definitely is a labour of love sort of thing. I can't imagine they think it has the same sort of cred as Antonioni or the money prowess of Dazed and Confused.

bigP

#18 Post by bigP » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:58 pm

colinr0380 wrote:Amazing to see Richard Stanley getting interviewed on the disc. Criterion are really covering all the bases in terms of contributors!
I was just thinking the same thing. I'm sure he will have alot to say given the legend of his dismissal from the remake. I'd equally love to hear him discuss how he was planning to approach the film and how The Island of Lost Souls may have influenced his vision.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#19 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:58 pm

No contribution from Danny Elfman?

matrixschmatrix

#20 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:00 pm

Haha, maybe they felt Devo and Oingo Boingo would be a bit much

dad1153

#21 Post by dad1153 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:00 pm

From cover artwork (the best cover of the month by far) to the (ridiculously good) overload of bonus features, it's clear this is someone's baby inside Criterion HQ. Serious "Equinox" vibes from this one but with much better acting (Laughton, Lugosi), source (Wells) and even cinephile hook (uncensored pre-code horror).

lubitsch

#22 Post by lubitsch » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:47 pm

So the torch for the most popular film of the 30s still not on DVD passes on to Cavalcade trailed by Ruggles of Red Gap, Show Boat and The Merry Widow. Not counting Love Affair which is in PD hell and never saw at least a decent effort like e.g. A Star is born . The most popular non-US film of the decade yet unreleased is still La Chienne.

knives

#23 Post by knives » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:53 pm

I thought Monsieur Lang was more popular than La Chienne? Also technically Ruggles is on DVD.

matrixschmatrix

#24 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:54 pm

Yeah, Ruggles is on Amazon as a media on demand thing.The Merry Widow is likewise out, if you count the fucking Warner Archive as a DVD.
Last edited by matrixschmatrix on Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#25 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:54 pm

Popular when, in its time? Because there's no conceivable contemporary scenario for Cavalcade to be spoken of in positive terms
Last edited by domino harvey on Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.